Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Monsters, We are LEAVING!

”gently caress gently caress gently caress!” Sarga says to herself, head spinning. She can hear the sound of screams as the army advances - a large tower to the north collapses as mages concentrate powerful spells on it, and whoever lives there fires back. The air starts to taste purple as magical fallout builds up. It was rare, but with this many magical users cutting loose at once, they begin to fray the edges of reality.
The Dark Isle was lost, even if the Forces of Good were beaten back, no one would be living here without things getting a bit strange.

They had to get out of here. She looked at the crowd, about a hundred men women and children (or various equivalents.) that was going to be a big rear end spell, and she wished she had spent more time concentrating at Teleportation class. But it was so much easier just to buy the things these days.
Well, nothing for it now.
”Right! We’re getting the hell’s out of here!” she shouted, as she cast her eyes around her surroundings. The plaza was not that large, but had a couple of shops on it. The ground was paved and level. ”First though I need you lot to arm up, so lets do a little looting while I prepare the teleportation circle!” a flick of her wrist blew the doors off the shops, and set a alarm demon screaming. Not that it made much difference at this time.
No one moved.
”You can stay here and die, or you can grab some goods and get ready to defend me while I try and get us out of here!” THAT got people moving.
Now for the circle. She needed something to draw it with, but it would have to be fairly permanent. She looked at the ruined tip of her tentacle and sighed.

As Seaglass and Irwin began to get people to come out of the shop, carrying a collection of food and other sundries, they found their mistress drawing a large teleportation circle in her own blue blood.
Irwin rises what would have been an eyebrow if he had any hair.
”I know, I know. It’s a cliche. Just get everyone inside the circle!”
It took longer than she would have liked to get everyone inside and ready, and she could hear the sounds of a larger band of approaching soldiers.
”Ladies and Gentlemen. Please keep all limbs within the teleportation circle. This is going to be a rough one.” she called out.
She began the incantation, it was a powerful spell, and she began to drain fast. But she was well rested, and was able to control it.
As she was ending the spell she saw the first of the enemy troops round the corner. Her hands were busy, but she was able to raise a bloody stump to them before she disappeared.

They reappeared in the middle of the vault. It was the only room in the Grotto she knew was large enough to take all these people, even then the shock wave created by this many people displaced into the room knocked everyone to the ground as it bounced back from the walls. When the first guard opened the door to see what the noise was, he found the vault full of people lying all over the floor. He squealed ”We’re under attack!” and feld back up the stairs.

Once he returned, Seaglass and Irwin had taken control, and were helping Sarga to her feet. They quickly took her to have her wounds bound, then asked the dreaded question.
”What do we do now?”

We made it! But things are all messed up - what do we do? Please note, we have limited time to respond, so no chaining actions.

A - Lock it down - no one in or out until we know what’s going on.
B - Warn the neighbours and Asherah.
C - Raid! Take everyone who can carry a weapon and go steal some gold/food.
D - Go back for more people. Sarga thinks she can get another hundred before she uses up all her mana.

quote:

Mana = 200/450
2 Manawells 1000/1000, 1000/1000
Gold = 22,580 in the vault at the Sapphire Grotto
Income per week - 750
Wages per week - 150
Paying the gnome 250 for redirection
Net Per week - 350

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
Krull and Khrol, Seatrolls.
90 Beaverpeople. 15 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)
19 Vampire Octasquids.
A selection of Bodkin Eels.
6 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
12 Crabbersons.
100 refugees.

Well defended entrance.
Spike traps, magical traps, blast doors, loop holes, teleportation zones and a bound sea elemental.
Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.
Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.
A library full or rare books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B, D and corrupt the angel with Bad Tidings while we’re at it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
B,C,D through the magic of delegation.

Send seaglass to task the mine supervisor with warning the neighbours that there's probably a lot of unguarded gold, civilians etc. lying around, warning Asherah that neighbouring kingdoms are missing a lot of their defences, and setting the crabbersons converting some mine holes into barracks and food halls.

Task Irwin to organise the rabble, asking for and organising volunteers to come back and help get more survivors and emphasising that they will be free to leave if they wish once things calm down but while they're here the beavers and mine supervisor are boss.

Warn the Fae ourself emphasising this information is provided outside of our existing deal and contains neither requests nor instructions nor additional obligations to either party. Give sea glass 5 minutes to get back, then leave for the isle rescue with Irwin, sea glass if back, and our volunteers.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 15, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Splicer posted:

B,C,D through the magic of delegation.

Send seaglass to task the mine supervisor with warning the neighbours that there's probably a lot of unguarded gold, civilians etc. lying around, warning Asherah that neighbouring kingdoms are missing a lot of their defences, and setting the crabbersons converting some mine holes into barracks and food halls.

Task Irwin to organise the rabble, asking for and organising volunteers to come back and help get more survivors and emphasising that they will be free to leave if they wish once things calm down but while they're here the beavers and mine supervisor are boss.

Warn the Fae ourself emphasising this information is provided outside of our existing deal and contains neither requests nor instructions nor additional obligations to either party. Give sea glass 5 minutes to get back, then leave for the isle rescue with Irwin, sea glass if back, and our volunteers.

I would say this up to the point where we go back to the isle - we may learn new information from any of our neighbors, the rabble, or the fae about what is going on that would affect decision making. For example, would not want to go back to the isle without at least draconic air support.

In addition, would also specifically task our heavyweight brute mercs to go about fortifying poo poo while the rest of the troops drill.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nephzinho posted:

I would say this up to the point where we go back to the isle - we may learn new information from any of our neighbors, the rabble, or the fae about what is going on that would affect decision making. For example, would not want to go back to the isle without at least draconic air support.

In addition, would also specifically task our heavyweight brute mercs to go about fortifying poo poo while the rest of the troops drill.
We're not going back to save the isle, just a quick refugee snatch and run. The volunteers are ablative armour for the named characters*. We want the dragon air support harrying the home counties so they pull back their offence to deal with it. Always attack where the enemy isn't!

*also some of them might level up enough to be worth stingraying.

e: now that I'm thinking it, might be worth upgrading from "tell our friends" to "tell our friends to tell their friends to tell" etc.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 15, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Splicer posted:

We're not going back to save the isle, just a quick refugee snatch and run. The volunteers are ablative armour for the named characters*. We want the dragon air support harrying the home counties so they pull back their offence to deal with it. Always attack where the enemy isn't!

*also some of them might level up enough to be worth stingraying.

e: now that I'm thinking it, might be worth upgrading from "tell our friends" to "tell our friends to tell their friends to tell" etc.

We don't know anything about the invaders currently so we don't know "where they aren't" to attack. Any given kingdom is just as likely to be on their list of targets to conquer as they are to be supporters who banded together to rid the world of the monsters.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I honestly can’t think of a stupider idea than blind teleporting back to the isle rn

B + warn the Fae too

Immediately after we send our warning A + dump our leftover mana into shielding/non-detection spells around our base

Our warning doesn’t require a reply but we do need to hide ourselves in case the invaders can/are hunting down the escapees

e: remember they have our blood and I guarantee that can be used in a spell to track down/bind people

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

alpaca diseases posted:

I honestly can’t think of a stupider idea than blind teleporting back to the isle rn

B + warn the Fae too

This, also assign our lieutenants to take stock of who we saved, get an overview of their specialties etc to see what we have to work with.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

alpaca diseases posted:

B + warn the Fae too

Immediately after we send our warning A + dump our leftover mana into shielding/non-detection spells around our base

Our warning doesn’t require a reply but we do need to hide ourselves in case the invaders can/are hunting down the escapees

e: remember they have our blood and I guarantee that can be used in a spell to track down/bind people

Solid points, all.

+1 to this

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
B warn all our friends that the good times are gone and the Good Times are here :ohdear:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Port back and use bad tidings to wash the teleport area clean our blood off with a flood of sewer water and gtfo. Anything else is wasted. We need to keep our heads down, use our resources to find out what the gently caress just happened and then plot petty revenge/war profiteering as required.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
D but instead of collecting more useless mouths to feed we destroy the Job Board and it's archives, more specifically any records about us and our past employment.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Asehujiko posted:

D but instead of collecting more useless mouths to feed we destroy the Job Board and it's archives, more specifically any records about us and our past employment.

This a thousand times

Good thinking 99. If that gets out we lose half of our influence and burn a shitload of bridges.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

sheep-dodger posted:

This, also assign our lieutenants to take stock of who we saved, get an overview of their specialties etc to see what we have to work with.

+1

Asehujiko posted:

This is also likely a good idea, if dangerous. A job history will make it too easy to find the mine.

That said, I'd bet the Job Board will wipe itself if the Isle looks to be lost. Evil's no good without security.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A. The importance of secrecy just jumped waaaaay up. Keep our new guests from getting out and figuring out where they are.

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
B&C OUR NEW FRIENDS NEED TO BE BROUGHT UP TO SPEED AND WE NEED TO GET SOME CASH AS WELL.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

literally anything but D

We need our mana to protect our lair if the Angels were able to track where we went. Also, we're (mostly) evil. Saving the people we saved made sense because it was convenient and pragmatic. Going back for more is neither of these things.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

We are looking out for ourselves and for our investments, nothing else. Only reason to go back is for our gold, and even that will have limited use if the entire "economy" shifts with the angels.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

literally anything but D

We need our mana to protect our lair if the Angels were able to track where we went. Also, we're (mostly) evil. Saving the people we saved made sense because it was convenient and pragmatic. Going back for more is neither of these things.

I'd say we're Lawful Evil with Neutral tendencies.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B

D to destroy records is tempting, but I hope the Dark Isle already had systems in place for that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Havar was with the angels. They know who we are.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

A fiend in need.

”We need to let our neighbours know whats happening.” Sarga replied. ”If they try and head back to the isle, they’ll be slaughtered.”
She put her hand to the shell at her neck.
”Asherah. Do you hear me?”
”I do Sarga. Something is happening. The rate of souls flowing into the afterlife has increased.”
”The Dark Isle is under attack. Do not go there and watch yourself.”
”I shall endeavour to discover what I can from my followers. Take care.”

Next Sarga tried to use her gems to contact the others, but was unable to do so. Some kind of strong magic was disrupting the spell. The link to Asherah was a more personal one, so seemed to be unaffected.
This was not a good sign, they would have to go out themselves.
”Right, we’re going to have to get out there. Irwin, take five beavers and go see the Lich, Seaglass do the same for Raaugh. I’ll take the bloody gnome. Let them know what’s happening and get back here.”

They set out, the Beavers were well armed and well trained now, but nervous - they hadn’t seen much action since their pirating days, she set the rest of the force on the defensive. The two stingrays broke the surface at the same time as Sarga - everything looked clear, and it was thankfully night here..
They moved to the beaches, then silently split up.

It took a few hours to cover the ground to the Gnomes lair - she didn’t want to use magic unless necessary, while portals were untraceable, anyone running a background detect magic spell would be able to pick them up easily.
As they approached the gnomes cave, she could hear voices. Assuming the gnome was the solitary type and not a minion horde type of gnome, this was a bad thing.
It was a bad thing.
As she moved to the edge of the fire light, she could see a group of men and women in armour, sitting around a campfire and laughing. In the background the gnome had been nailed to his front door.
She signaled to the Beavers and they spread out - there was only a few guards, and they fell quickly and quietly. Sarga then waited a few minutes then sent a magical pulse through the shell - of course, all of her minions were now wearing shells, the chance of reincarnating a minion was not something she was going to pass up!
The soldiers in the campfire didn’t know what hit them. Bolts took out most of them, with the sargent taking a trident to the chest. It was over in seconds.

While her minions got looting, she hurried to Ifnkovhgroghprm. He was in a bad way.
”Bhastrds made me talk.” He spat through what was left of his teeth. Sarga opened her mouth to utter empty platitudes, but the Gnomes remaining eye fixed her with a ‘don’t you dare’ look. ”Said they knew ‘bout me through locals, the monster finder.” he shook his head. ”Shorry, I tell them where you all were.” he said, and died.

They knew about her and all the others. And she had dispatched minion teams to them! Before she could think, one of her beavers came up to her with something in his hands.
Shells. Blue shells.
Then a voice spoke in her mind
”Sarga, I am under attack.”

Well, this is a general purge! We need to do something - who do we help?

A - Head home! Protect the grotto!
B - Seaglass and Raaugh!
C - Irwin and Malus!
D - Asherah!
E - Screw quiet - get your teleport on and save them all (order of importance)

quote:

Mana = 200/450
2 Manawells 1000/1000, 1000/1000
Gold = 22,580 in the vault at the Sapphire Grotto
Income per week - 750
Wages per week - 150
Paying the gnome 250 for redirection
Net Per week - 350

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
Krull and Khrol, Seatrolls.
90 Beaverpeople. 15 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)
19 Vampire Octasquids.
A selection of Bodkin Eels.
6 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
12 Crabbersons.
100 refugees.

Well defended entrance.
Spike traps, magical traps, blast doors, loop holes, teleportation zones and a bound sea elemental.
Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.
Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.
A library full or rare books.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
E. no preference on order.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

We’ve hero-proofed our lair pretty good and we have additional people to defend it- it should hold up in the short term

Any Lich worth his salt has their phylactery well hidden- Malus should be fine whatever happens to him. This is also an ideal time for Irwin to decide to flip so perhaps it’s a good idea not to be around him with minimal backup right now

Asherahs Asherah, and he has whole cities if not a nation by now of fanatics to fight for/protect him, he’ll be fine

Voting B, Raaugh could still be caught on the back foot, seeing as she’s an ancient dragon and all they do is sleep and poo poo if my dragon lore serves me right

But in saying- she’s a ancient dragon, so once she’s fully roused she’ll be the motherfucking wreaking ball we’ll need at the head of our army

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 18, 2018

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
E. But only b&c and teleport our tentacles home. Our God creation can handle himself.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Teleport to B > C > A. Asherah has a literal army around him who are reincarnatable. He can hold his own for now and rally the common folk against the angels (while we reincarnate souls into shark monsters to better serve their lord in battle). Raughh is the better asset. The grotto is well defended through magic, portals, soldiers of varying types -- whoever is coming to take it, if its a strike team like this, will bounce off it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teleport to B, they know about everyone now so it doesn't really matter if they detect us. After (hopefully) saving Seaglass and Raaugh we can contact Irwin and the Lich with our shells to figure out the best plan to help, and also hopefully figure out if Irwin is still on our side before teleporting in.

Asherah will have to handle himself, but he is best equipped to do so by a long shot.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

alpaca diseases posted:

We’ve hero-proofed our lair pretty good and we have additional people to defend it- it should hold up in the short term

Until we teleported soldiers inside our defenses.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
E --> DBC

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

alpaca diseases posted:

Voting B, Raaugh could still be caught on the back foot, seeing as she’s an ancient dragon and all they do is sleep and poo poo if my dragon lore serves me right

But in saying- she’s a ancient dragon, so once she’s fully roused she’ll be the motherfucking wreaking ball we’ll need at the head of our army

I like our new dragon friend, let's go find her.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

We actively dont' want to help Asherah. He has the commoners on his side and if the angels want to take him out they're angering an entire kingdom of followers. If they kill him/them, they've made an enemy of that kingdom and its allies, if they try and fail they've made an enemy of that kingdom and its allies, and if they wipe everything out it sends a message to other kingdoms about their intent. We've seen a lot of shady jobs posted by kings, anyone who has ever posted on that board is probably pretty uncomfortable with angels coming around. Our clone-king shoudl also be willing to lend his saviour aid. There are allies to be had out there once we figure out What Up.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Oooh I forgot about our pet Clone King during the whole Asherah questline. Lets keep thst in our back pocket for now, but plan on using him soon.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Blue shells? Aren't they usually pink?

Also, you guys get the impression good is evil and evil is more like bad here?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A, but tell our stingrays it's now a scouting mission, and call seaglass home as soon as shes confirmed what happened. Also call Irwin home but try and see if he's going to turn

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Outrail posted:

Yes, this does have that whole Grand Theft Magic Carpet vibe.

B > C > D but with stops to check in back at the Grotto to repair & rearm and make sure there's even a point in following up on C & D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Outrail posted:

You might like

Villians by Necessity by Eve Forward posted:

With the banishment of Evil from the realms, the final victory of Good is assured-unless a few stalwart antiheroes can save the world from a serious and potentially fatal imbalance. First novelist Forward explores the complications that arise from a surfeit of "goodness" in the world. The result is a skewed version of the epic fantasy that features an assassin, a thief, an evil sorceress, a dark knight, and an implacable druid as the villains-turned-heroes who must restore the delicate balance of opposing forces before their world disappears in a blinding flash of Goodness and Light. -- Library Journal

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
D - ASHERAH!

This is a war of religions and afterlifes now!

They are angry because we set up a legitimate religion and are cutting into their soul market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D