Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I would like to see Sarga. And see her subcontract Stikt for elaborate canal lock stair systems to move fish monsters up so they can be dropped on adventurers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

Ooh, i do like this idea of subcontracting other potentials.

Also, Dunwater rendtooth piranhas dropping on an armoured adventurer from above and eating through +1 plate would be terrifying

I have a soft spot for kobolds. But the lure of of octosharks and water dungeons is too strong.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

I vote 4, get some capital built up for future endevors.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Sinking ships is easy. As is kidnapping sailors.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm bucking the trend because our point is to extract, so the sooner we are back to full mana essentially the faster we can probably get done. Magical "construction" takes three days, physical takes 7. There is not any difference in the amount of days to get up to 40 mana (9) with either this or Lone Badger's plan, it's just that this plan for a trade off of taking 5 more mana at the start and costs us 100 less gold that you start getting mana regenerated on day 4 instead of day 8. Basically this takes the same amount of days to get mana neutral and saves us 100 gold.

1) B - A small bedroom - 5 mana

2) A - large Lab/cell area - 300 Gold

3) B Good equipment - 500 gold

4) C - A channeling room - 10 mana

This seems sensible.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

1A

2B

Crabs!

Let's get this first chest filled and moving, maybe even get ahead of the game and then deal with future problems when they happen.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

2a
3a

Get a solid core of crabmen mining before we branch out too far.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Let's get our shark on so we're not constantly disrupted by intruders.

Followed by our mascot:

Hexenritter posted:

begin work on Fisty the mantis shrimpman

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

F

Embed the scraps left over from transmogrifications, personal effects from all our converts, into the possession of a plausible monster and have it roam the far side of the isles, a long way from our operations. Give her a trophy to hunt, an enemy to vanquish, get by with enough crabs to fulfil the contract.

False flag! False flag!

(Do it.)

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

B.

While we're at it, now is a great time to abduct a few more specimens. Everyone witnessed what happened on the beach, even if we have to keep them in a cell for a few days until we have more mana it is a great opportunity to get it for free. More serious heroes are going to arrive next time - this amateur came in over a few missing persons, now there is a verified hero eating monster on the loose and the A team is going to come running. We don't want to have to venture outside while they're around.

Solid.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

A2,

B - 1 crab/shrimp as before

NO DARK LIEUTENANT - our skills at corruption and our ability to withstand backstabs are not good enough for that.

We need more loyal guards before we set up someone who could overthrow us.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

D. We have a profitable mine set up and all the heat has been taken away. Let's make sure the minions here have everything they need to keep the mine running and continue to generate gold for us each week. We can post a job listing when we get back to town for a combat-focused baddie to defend the operation from any interlopers//notify us if he takes any prisoners to add to the workforce and keep 30% of the profits for themselves. Alternate. Revenue. Streams.

This, and I like Seaglass as it is.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dinictus posted:

So let's go with C, magic. 4 looks like another aquatic environs, so let's go with that. And finally let's go with a Good Manager. It's a safe option, allows for steady revenue, and potentially expansion.

C4 to Good Manager

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Honestly, we might not even have to get our hands dirty if we can engineer some poison into their existing catches.

At the very least we could give the entire militia and the hero food poisoning and just go execute the entire village while they're on the shitter.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Not Alex posted:

Edit: also the king hired us to protect fish stocks. We shouldn't actually change the aquatic ecosystem that much.

King didn't hire us, we're subcontracting!

Lich hired us to murder a shitload of people, preferably quietly.

Nephzinho posted:

A. Swamp. We can make use of the mud and rough terrain to capture any villagers who venture into the area and keep them from escaping. We also will be able to mess with the lake at its water source, or if we're going to try to mess with mosquitos or any other plague carrier the swamp is where they will be. We may end up building a dam on the gully so we definitely don't want to be there when people come to investigate it.

1.B. Small lair, small lab, build with Magic. We're on the clock and have a lot of killing to do.

Add a room for Seaglass and build a number of defenses around the swamp -- its already naturally difficult terrain and shouldn't be hard to weaponize into traps. Do these via gold while we're sculpting magic - the timing to build these smaller components should be in line with the time it takes us to magic up the core construction.

How much wood/muck is there in the swamp? We will want to start throwing everything we discard from construction into the lake with as muck as possible to start clogging the gully and backing up the lake so that it starts to fester/rise.
Are there grain silos or other food stores we can poison? If we start floating plagued bloated corpses into the lake, would the villagers fish them out and be around for an explosion of puss and plague?

This sounds like a good start!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Splicer posted:

Also, plagues have a nasty habit of getting out of hand. It's almost like they're contagious.

I'm not advocating full plague, just some mild to moderate food poisoning.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Go go murderbeavers!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

So, we're on a short timetable here, so here's a thought to keep them motivated without spending another week setting up a store: Profit Sharing.

Small weekly payment (5 or 10g/each? Easily covered by our mining operation), PLUS we offer them half of all loot from the dead. This is mostly small change for us, but keeps them motivated.

And at the end of this we can either offer them employment elsewhere, or have Seaglass murder them and take our money back.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

B4, our penultimate, suboptimal hope for peace.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

A3 - That's what the traps are for. Just don't overestimate how well they'll work, Rouges are slippery.

B3 - Slight twist. Never give them the chance to stop you, blow the dam five minutes before they arrive and monologue until the flood hits us all. After all, we can breathe underwater.

C3 - Building an army of useful minions makes us able to handle bigger and thus better paying and more prestigious jobs. It's not like we can't afford to pay them after all.

Perfection.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

A2 and B3

For C, might I suggest the Stonefish?

Colored like rocks, easily camouflaged, super loving poisonous and comes with a built in switchblade face-knife.

More ambusher than hunter, but seems to cover most of the bases.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Currently we have hit our primary target of being undetected.

As long as we keep the plagur contained to the lake area we should be fine.

If we had more mana I would suggest glamouring ourselves into something prettier and offering to cure the plague for a price... But we're kinda tapped out.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Outrail posted:

+1, and bats like eating mosquitos, let's engineer some uh... Frats? Brogs? Both?

So we get bats to eat the mosquitos. And then owls to get the bats. And then eagles to eat the owls. And wyverns to eat the owls. And a dragon to eat the wyverns. And now a dragon lives here. Flawless plan.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Outrail posted:

Now we mutate all the mosquitos and owls and bats and eagles and wyverns and the dragon together and ride our monstrosity to wreck havoc on the shithead King who decided to genocide a few villages instead of deal with overpopulation in a non shithead manner.

I assume that's where you're heading with this.

I just wanted to be friends with a sweet rear end dragon.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Outrail posted:

Heck yeah!

How many asses on this dragon and how sweet do you want them?

One was, but sweet like fresh strawberries.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

C. Let's get tinkering
B. Management is important as we continue to grow the workforce.

Before we do either, let's talk to whats-his-face at the mine and get a status report.

This. We are getting quite the little workforce and not all of them are feeling it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

C but think long term. Take 10 now but 1k/month for a year if they can't come up with 20k upfront.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

How do we enforce continued payment after handing over the fortress?

We're the architects of this little fortress.

Put in an underwater back door through the well in the center of the keep with a magic gate that we know the password to because we built it.

Like someone else suggested, make the fortress out of a living coral that we can come back and command to eat everyone inside it if we need.

Put a keystone in that we can pull out and collapse the whole drat thing.

We've got all sorts of options.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

That would burn a ton of our cash.

1 B
2 A 50 workers + overseer
3 No

This, but 100 workers + overseer. Otherwise we're overpaying on Overseer potential!

Messing around with Temporal nonsense has too many ways to go bad. We should keep the Shrimpmantispeople/crabbersons in the mine, that's good passive income.

For the "Invasion" we can outsource some goblins or whatever. And maybe some certain beaverpeople that are just a little too organized for my taste.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Speaking of which, note for later: consider what we can do to make the fortress not -look- ocean themed. Really gently caress with the heroes by making sure they aren't prepared for it. Besides, how nice is it if we can 'lose' the fort without interfering with our undersea operations?

So, I just had a thought. Could we sneak in a totally unconnected secret lair into the base of this fortress?

We need a place to call home, it's already in a shipping lane, and we are already doing some pretty massive construction...

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Splicerrrrrrrr

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Put me on team Magic Trident

Do it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Don't forget the always classic Lightning Bolt for zapping people who annoy us.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Tide Piercer

And whirlpools of death sound good.

And stay obscure.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

A & B. Let's tell them the castle is ready for the taking, but that we need to collect tolls for a time to build up the mystique of things. If they just roll into the castle it will be like there was no threat, but if some more ships are terrorized and humans murdered/experimented on, their taking the castle will be seen as a heroic feat and their enemies will think twice before trying to take it for themselves. Let's have some fun experimenting with Bad Tidings and getting some new minions while we're in a relatively low pressure job - even if a serious threat comes, we can just leave. We are in a goddamn fortress, and if anyone tries to sneak in we have Irwin watching for other-rogues.

I like it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Blasphemaster posted:

Can we change pieces of the hull into eels that then consider it their purpose in life to get up inside the crew? Perfect distract/sink combo.

Those Poor Unfortunate Souls.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Splicer posted:

Leave a 50/50 split of valuables but take our share entirely in cash and leave the goods as part of their share. The magic wood is obviously outside the agreement, we're just going to take that.

A, A. Take the cash and the artifact.

Make an impressive eel based show of it, but just make a clean break. Our employer may be an idiot, but we are professionals. And we are starting to run low on Mana. Pulling this off without a mistake will considerably raise our profile.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Splicer posted:

You're right, not a contract, but an agreement. An agreement we should honour.

We're evil, but not a liar. We've made out like bandits here, turned one revenue stream into multiple and got a sweet magic trident. No need to get greedy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

"You are in violation of a formal contract. The penalty clauses are now in effect. You may surrender and abide by the terms or you may drown."

We fight. Flood the island with a vertical waterspout. We don't teleport then they don't breathe.

This sounds like a violation of the contract to me.

That being said, this is exactly why we built a secret entrance in the basement. Get there. Get out.

Then drown the entire castle. Tomorrow offer to sell it to their rivals.