Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

does anyone have any ideas on a better system for dispersing superstars, keeping talent local, and preventing teams with more money from happily paying the tax? just wondering. i know i've heard things like no max/hard cap and things like that.

Full basketball communism now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Maybe put in a franchise tag system where you can pay over the cap to pay a player to stay? Or have that money not count toward the cap?

also:

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/986389308901740545

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

Good point

So you’d have to decouple revenue sharing from the tax

It's probably a good idea. Although I think you need to make sure that teams aren't just sucking revenue sharing profits without trying to spend ala the Sterling Clippers, which is what happened in the old system. Probably just keeping the salary floor in place is probably fine.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

E2M2 posted:

Maybe put in a franchise tag system where you can pay over the cap to pay a player to stay? Or have that money not count toward the cap?

also:

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/986389308901740545

his ability to complain that the favorable treatment he receives isnt favorable enough fills me with awe

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

paternity suitor posted:

Full basketball communism now

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KGArea21/status/986412378437767168

Area 21 is good as hell

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rick posted:

It's probably a good idea. Although I think you need to make sure that teams aren't just sucking revenue sharing profits without trying to spend ala the Sterling Clippers, which is what happened in the old system. Probably just keeping the salary floor in place is probably fine.

While it's baseball aren't the Marlins essentially a full blown scam at this point in terms of taking profits and not investing in anything and selling off anything of value?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ditch the cap and cut down the number of teams to increase the overall quality and distribution of talent. Get rid of the less desirable destinations even if you lose a couple historic teams.

It'll never happen but you'd immediately get a better product.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the sixers would be among the first teams cut

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Imagine how bad John Wall must be to cause Bradley Beal to play an entire game on heroin.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kawhi to the bulls after it's revealed that gar forman's head is the only thing in the world that makes him laugh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think the product is fine right now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This year's Bucks team is a great example of why coaching matters more than many think. With a good coach they wouldn't be in such a bad situation after two games.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If I were the Bucks I'd try to swipe budenholzer before the Suns get him

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Fully healthy Bucks vs. Celtics without Smart, Irving, or Hayward"

"Well clearly, the Celtics are 2-0 with a 20 point lead"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tae posted:

"Fully healthy Bucks vs. Celtics without Smart, Irving, or Hayward"

"Well clearly, the Celtics are 2-0 with a 20 point lead"

Hot take: the bucks just aren't that good

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gotta let tony cook

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Let's relive this

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/986416440659075072

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
cool buff man i was very wrong to doubt jaylen brown i apologize for this misstep, again my sincerest apologies

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jota posted:

cool buff man i was very wrong to doubt jaylen brown i apologize for this misstep, again my sincerest apologies

It's all good my man, he's really dang fun to watch and once he lets the game slow down and come to him a little more consistently he should be fringe all-star status at least. He's been working on his finishing at the rim a lot (his biggest weakness) and it's starting to show. He's still only 21 so he's got a long way to go, hopefully upward

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 18, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/b1ackschefter/status/986432928291975169?s=21

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Toronto needs to sweep Washington to break the Paul Pierce curse. And we're off to a not bad start.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Please tell me this is a bad/good joke

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It’s a quote from that article about Trump supporting Spurs fans who think Pop is too mean to our big wet boy

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

YOU SEE!!?? I TOLD YOU HE WAS GONE!!

lol

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You can trust Black Adam Schefter

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hahaha come on now

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
don't know if this was posted yesterday, but here's a decent article on becky hammon

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/how-far-can-becky-hammon-go-in-the-nba

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dB7Fmpp5r8

These guys are loving kidders

4:25 for the Good Content. Just watch the whole thing, Team Friendship needs more bandwagoners.

Drunk Canuck fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 18, 2018

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Well maybe this isn't so good

quote:

The Spurs could probably swallow hard and work with that. One stethoscope does not fit all. But the Southern California native, who earns $20 million next season and is eligible for a supermax contract extension, has gone rogue, morphed from soft-spoken to silent. He occasionally texts with one of his teammates but goes weeks without responding to any of the club’s calls and texts. And the fact he has been absent from San Antonio for weeks and is not expected to sit on the bench for Game 3?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dB7Fmpp5r8

These guys are loving kidders

4:25 for the Good Content. Just watch the whole thing, Team Friendship needs more bandwagoners.

Friendship ball is pure and powerful.

Unless you're Dwight Howard and Glen Davis, in which case it's the opposite of that.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's time for the spurs to pull out the big guns and ask tim duncan to host a team-building seminar

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

i think the only rational position is to assume he's gone, and if he stays, then great.

just seems to me that when talking about players wanting out: where there's smoke, there's fire

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's time for the spurs to pull out the big guns and ask tim duncan to host a team-building seminar

great, INJURY REPORT: LaMarcus Aldridge is out for Thursday's game due to debilitating paintball welts.

that's just what we need

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I don't really understand why news of this magnitude would be buried in the 13th paragraph of a Sacramento columnist's story that's more about Popovich than Kawhi

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i would like the suns to be good and i hope budenholzer is good

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i mean, gay just spent a bunch of time in sacramento. maybe he's leaking to a trusted source. maybe its on pop's orders in order to promote my conspiracy of giving the fan base time to anticipate his leaving so its not so devastating. people think pop put manu and parker up to the player's meeting and media comments. it was jackson, a former spur, who said that i believe.

i also don't really think that source is very credible. but we're really in uncharted territory for the spurs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DUNCAN: And so, as we reach a puzzling offseason, I want you all to reflect on how you can grow as teammates with this. It's a puzzle, guys! Ten thousand pieces.
PARKER: Is Kawhi even here?
DUNCAN: This one has a nautical theme. You know a frigate can refer to a number of different types of ships, but it also has a specific definition. They are larger than a sloop, as you could probably guess, and smaller than a ship-of-the-line.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

DUNCAN: And so, as we reach a puzzling offseason, I want you all to reflect on how you can grow as teammates with this. It's a puzzle, guys! Ten thousand pieces.
PARKER: Is Kawhi even here?
DUNCAN: This one has a nautical theme. You know a frigate can refer to a number of different types of ships, but it also has a specific definition. They are larger than a sloop, as you could probably guess, and smaller than a ship-of-the-line.

pretty sure this is exactly how a field trip with tim duncan would go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6HcB6uOKiM

who's who?

kawhi's obviously bart

homer's the fans

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 18, 2018

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

You guys are like the Spartans at the battle of Thermopylae but if you check out my dissertation here you will find that common conceptions surrounding that incident are not actually backed by the historical record. First of all,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's time for the spurs to pull out the big guns and ask tim duncan to host a lan party. if Tony is invited don't invite any of the players' spouses
ftfy

RaySmuckles posted:

i mean, gay just spent a bunch of time in sacramento. maybe he's leaking to a trusted source. maybe its on pop's orders in order to promote my conspiracy of giving the fan base time to anticipate his leaving so its not so devastating. people think pop put manu and parker up to the player's meeting and media comments. it was jackson, a former spur, who said that i believe.

i also don't really think that source is very credible. but we're really in uncharted territory for the spurs
lol, first it was WOJ just makes up stories because the mean ole' spurs won't leak any info to him. Now the sacbee is fake news. Next the offseason trade announcement will be lies.

• Locked thread