Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Playoffs are nothing but heartbreak and stress to a travelin' stats man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

America needs to embrace soccer MMA so that there's a sport with space for people who aren't very tall, so all people of normal height don't have to be forced into cornerback, safety, point guard, and running back

don't encourage floppers

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

People are seriously underestimating the trainwreck and/or entertainment potential of a Stackhouse hiring.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Metapod posted:

I want everyone to apologize to dipo right now

I'm not gonna do that, but if I'm still wrong next year I'll apologize twice.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

People are just looking for anything to bag on Thibodeau. I've said it here a million times, Minnesota's offense is built to get a switch and isolate the mismatch. Sometimes that iso is posting up KAT on a wing. Sometimes, it's isolating wiggins or butler or teague on the wing against a big. The first clip shows Capela and Harden switching, Capela ending up on Wiggins with an option to post KAT on Harden. What is better offense: trying to get a post entry around Capela's wing span to post up KAT on a smaller but still very good post defender, or clearing KAT out and having Wiggins drive and kick on Capela?

The latter every time.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Kibner posted:

Jrue defends the best player on the opposing team a lot and is pretty good at it:

https://twitter.com/JADubin5/status/986992137458929665

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn82PJ2LCLA

meh.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Isn't the point of "chucker" as a pejorative is that they don't create shots?

No, it's that he shoots when there are better options available, like open teammates or 18 seconds of shot clock left

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

That's not creating a shot.

That's a chucker

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Utah's offense looks like moist poo poo when they play big. Derek favors is in the corner and guys are playing off him like he's asking them for spare change. Their pick and roll looks like the three stooges trying to go through a doorway at the same time.

These thoughts brought to by watching games days after they happen and no one to discuss them with.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Metapod posted:

Dokmo is isiah Austin still working for the nba

Last I heard he was playing in China. Dunno what his status is with the league.

Edit or maybe Serbia. he's playing in any case.

Vvvvv yeah he was cleared to play by actual doctors a couple of years ago.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 21, 2018

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Now I've caught up with most of the playoff games , and I have to say these games are all awful, even the teams that arent unwatchable on purpose like boston. Only the Pelicans and the rockets have been watchable. Giving coaches time to prepare for an opponent ruins the game.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Here is a short edit of Dario Saric getting his flatfooted poo poo blocked a bunch of times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_QmWXL9kT8

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

This season has seen a huge increase in stats with completely arbitrary cutoffs. I look back nostalgically to the days where I would mostly have to yell at people about triple doubles.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

paternity suitor posted:

This isn't exactly playoffs N/V but I was thinking of this last night while I was watching the Sixers. Who are some of the best examples of guys developing jump shots and respectable 3P shooting later in their career? The two most recent examples I can think of are Horford and Brook Lopez. These are guys who literally didn't make a 3P for many seasons, and then in their late 20's starting making them. Blake Griffen is another guy who came to mind, although he at least made a few early in his career. Obviously a big part of it is that the league has changed. Chris Webber was a guy I remember getting better at his abysmal FT% but with the league being what it was, he was never going to start jacking 3's. Webber was always a good mid range shooter though (at least in my memory).

There's a difference between developing a three point shot out of nothing and starting to shoot 3-pointers when you were already a decent shooter from mid-range. Horford is an example of the latter, Brook is a good example of the former. There are far more of the latter than the former. Bigs are different than wings because they almost always take their shots off the catch and don't create their own jumpers. Wings who develop 3-pointers are very rare and the ones who do like Jason Kidd do it by taking only the easiest 3-pointers off the catch. Kyle Lowry is an example of a player who really extended his jump shooting range to the three-point line, and learn to shoot toughest 3-pointers off the dribble.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://nbamath.com/russell-westbrooks-defense-is-finally-a-problem-for-the-oklahoma-city-thunder/

quote:

Russell Westbrook’s Defense is Finally a Problem for the Oklahoma City Thunder
It starts in transition. Westbrook’s unwillingness to run toward his own basket is his most egregious habit . He’s often the last man back on Utah’s run-outs, and even when he’s not, he rarely makes an effort to stop the ball. He’ll instead watch aimlessly as Ricky Rubio floats by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3TfUN7RWww

I trust you can spot the mistake yourself in this next example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olxv8KYaLmY

Westbrook’s stance is the common denominator in each of these clips. He’s upright and ball-watching. Even if he can make up a step with his athleticism, he’s giving Utah’s players a two-step head start.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I completely forgot his actual name was Marbury, I have literally been calling him Starbury in scouting reports for years.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Here is Jaylen Brown getting blocked a bunch of times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuctIPf--cc

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

What was the track on the Dario block video? Ennio Morricone or something?

Yeah, I think it was "Titoli" from Fistful.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm curious for your thoughts on Jaylen and his development if you can share.

I didn't like him coming out of the draft because he couldn't finish and he couldn't shoot. He still can't finish, not a good sign for an athlete. I don't believe in his shooting improvement, but there's a real good chance I'm wrong on this. Hell there's a good chance I'm wrong about everything about him.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Papa John says what's up

I still believe

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

BWV posted:

or is some Cavs poster going to argue that Jose Calderon is "good" because he can shoot open 3s.

isn't that why ingles is good?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I hope Devin Booker is in the gym right at this second. I want him to be good so bad.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

All fans suck

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

im pretty far down on dudes who cant create their own shot. he just dunks the ball on shots other people create.

I hear this a lot, but there's only like three players who can go up and get any pass anywhere near the rim and finish in traffic. Catching lobs is an elite skill, or else everybody would be doing it. It's far easier to throw the lob than to finish it, people should be bagging on Harden for being gifted easy assists.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Here are a bunch of Lebron passes to open players that led to nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eseTJVwU-40

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/991414556646891521

Expected, but still a sad nail in the coffin of the combo coach gm.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I don't know what any of those things are I'll just assume it's a video game thing. loving nerds

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

BWV posted:

man i cant believe it's 2016 and the Raps still treat every possession in the 4th like the last minute of a 1990s playoff game.

I have some bad news for you

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

cougar cub posted:

Knowing that raps lead almost the entire game and did not lose because the cavs shut them down defensively or even came close to dominating the game.

The raps last 11 shots were all (open) misses, any of those go in and the whole story changes.

This is the proper take.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I want some team to go full MBS/CDS levels of unneccesary complication with their picks. Weird carve outs, bandwidths of pick range reserved for one team vs another, I want it all.

I pitched a trade for a pick that was fibonacci sequence protected but then I got mocked mercilessly.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I'm gonna plug my basketball camp where I tell everyone they suck and the only way they can improve is to run the floor and shoot with a hand literally in your face and play for a 2nd division team in a country where the first division isn't good.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Mr. Funktastic posted:

donovan mitchell ROY, ben simmons is a fraud???

Dudn't you see the game yesterday, they're both frauds. Kuzma is the true roy, he didn't fail in the playoffs.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Lockback posted:

Buford isn't making any moves that Pop doesn't agree with.

All GMs do this. It makes no sense to sign a player your coach won't play.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I don't know how anyone can watch and listen to a live broadcast when there are better options available. I watch games the following day without commercials and without sound, while listening to my phone read me history books aloud. I am so next gen it's not even close.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I tried to pitch Kardashian-related questions to put to workout players, but none of them were accepted.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

Yeah . It’s rare too because ownership uniquely extended him on their own right as Colangelo was hired. Now BC seems to what to keep him as “his coach”

GMs don't make coaching decisions without ownership approval.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

Are you implying they told Colangelo to extend him ?

No, I'm saying that even if colangelo wanted to bring someone else in, if ownership wanted brown back colangelo may want to say all the right things about brown to keep his job.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

this is something that gets overlooked a lot. when a gm gets hired he wants to bring in his own coach, just like a coach wants to bring in his own assistants. this is not only because he wants a coach he knows he can work with, but also someone he hopes is loyal to him because he got him hired. gms and coaches sometimes undermine each other to the ownership, so anybody would want to reduce that risk. gms sometimes make it a condition of their hiring that they get to pick their coach. doesn't seem like that was the case with colangelo, just given the timing, but he would still almost certainly would rather have a coach in place that owes him for getting him hired. but if the owners really like the coach, this may not be a fight you'd want to have, particularly if your number one goal is to keep your job.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

Maybe they fired him to keep nurse or stack.

This is likely a big part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/ProHoopsHistory/status/994944985450598400

• Locked thread