Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Really wish Utah had won last night to get homecourt but they were going to get stuck with OKC in the first round either way so I guess it doesn't change a ton in that respect. I think Utah was probably the better team this year on balance, especially once Rudy got healthy, but I really hate having to play against star players with tons of playoff experience like Russ and Playoff Paul George. Gun to my head I think I'd say OKC in 6 or 7 but should be a really good series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Thats a definite concern, especially if Rubio's shooting regresses to the mean but my bigger worry is that trying to get away with playing guys like O'Neal and Exum in the playoffs is going to be really rough. Exum especially seems like a disaster waiting to happen

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

scuz posted:

Nobody calls the Trailblazers the T-Blazers, what's up with T-Wolves? :mad:

This is a thing people, including fans of the team, have called them for as long as the franchise has existed :confused:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

That map is interesting, although if you use a car and go by distance to drive it's at least slightly different. I would say probably south of Casa Grande in Arizona, it takes about an hour less to drive to San Antonio, and it's a direct route on a freeway, as opposed to Salt Lake forcing one to either brave highway 89 (which is always one crash from total closure and subject to God's ire in the way of sinkholes and floods that often create multiple hour detours--at which point Golden State ends up closer than Salt Lake City) or dip west into Nevada which takes an additional hour as well.

Haha I was thinking that there are lots of days where I could probably get to SLC faster than I can get to Oakland

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I don't know if he does it regularly but I've seen him hit them while goofing around in warm ups

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Ohh I'm 100% before a return of boxing to sport of kings status. Boxing and MMA all the way. Boxers knew about dementia pugilistica at the turn of the century, no misdirection, everybody knows what's going on coming in.

I seriously doubt that's true

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Research into brain damage as a result of repeated head injuries began in the 1920s, at which time the condition was known as dementia pugilistica or "punch drunk syndrome" --source, wikipedia

People knew that being punched in the head a lot messed you up, all they had to do was be around old boxers

I agree it's a thing people have known about for a long time, I don't buy that every broke teenager getting into it is aware of that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You can just say you like watching boxing, man, you don't have to pretend that watching two guys give each other dementia for your entertainment is somehow moral. I still watch football I'm not in any position to judge

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

if gobert is in foul trouble, its not a huge loss

Look I don't blame you for not watching the Jazz in November or December but I can promise you this is extremely not true

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

nick saban on guitar

Way too tall.

I will never fail to respect just how much the Flamboyant Confederate General playing the fiddle loving goes for it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

patonthebach posted:

Wow like one elite and two or three good players in that draft. crazy.

You have some unrealistic expectations for what a good draft is if you think Giannis, Gobert, Dipo, McCollum, Adams, Porter, and several other solid starters isn't really good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Glumslinger posted:

Its more that the top of the draft doesn't have the talent, and its spread out

Plus a lot of highly drafted busts and lovely dudes; Bennet, Zeller, Len, Noel all kind of suck or worse

Yeah the distribution of it is really weird but there are still a lot of good players in there.

Like if you redrafted the top 3 would be guys who went 15, 27, and 10

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Healing up is one thing and I cant blame him for that. Even if no one actually knows what his injury is even more.

Trying to force a move out of SA is one of the dumbest ideas of all time

maybe he doesn't like it there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like you said, KAT is on another level from most of the league but yeah part of the reason Harden's been less of a trainwreck on defense than usual is that they figured out that he's pretty good at defending in the post and started hiding him on big guys a lot

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mitchell being a fan of a similar style player who was really good when he was in grade school seems very normal but it owns how many ProcessWars dudes are taking offense to this and getting mad in his mentions

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 17, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

He was legitimately not cleared by concussion protocols until late today so I could understand them not playing him today but man if they're doing their overcautious thing now it makes no sense.

In theory it's still really early in their window but yeah this is as winnable as the east could be in awhile depending on what happens with LeBron and what Boston can add and obviously who knows what happens in the future with injuries.

I can see why they'd think they'd be fine against Miami without him given how game 1 went though. It would be hard to predict 2018 Wade going off like that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you can listen to Kobe talk about anything for more than like five minutes without your eyes rolling out of your skull you're a much more patient person than I

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RaySmuckles posted:

its a tough situation because everything will be viewed through the lens of the kawhi dilemma.

but what he said is the absolute truth and there obviously needs to be space for pop to talk about his star player who is leading the team and balling out night after night after night

Yeah Aldridge has been a fringe MVP candidate and carried their offense all year, Pop should be complimenting him. It doesn't need to be a shot at anyone

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ignoring that for some reason you think that these people are above manual labor (which, like what the gently caress is that point). You don't get to just decide what you want your profession to be, and above that you cant decide if you are going to make a full years livable wage doing that if you decide to try to make it in a cut throat profession.

NBA G leaguers needed to receive a livable wage for playing in the G-League. They received that, I;m not sure what you are expecting them to make.

Also this is way more than "Summers off", this is half the goddamn year. They can do anything, gently caress. Do real estate, bag groceries, and yes, even paint houses. There is nothing wrong with manual labor.

It's not the 60s, being a professional athlete is a year round committment even if the season doesn't go year round. They can't really go get a part time job if they actually want to have a shot at getting to the NBA eventually

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Kobe's last game is the Rorschach test for NBA fans

This is unfair because if it'd been almost literally any other legendary player I'd have thought it was funny and cool even coming against Utah but Kobe is an obnoxious trash person.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Well that kind of proves my point doesn't it!!!!!

I figured you meant in the sense that it took him like 95 shots to get to 60.

DeimosRising posted:

The two biggest shoe deals in the league were signed by a guy in Cleveland and a guy in OkC. both of whom left those teams in FA after they go those deals, then tbf got bigger deals but I’m not so sure it had anything to do with the SF and Miami markets.

There are rumors about Secret Contract Clauses in every shoe deal driving star players to New York or LA and usually everyone here correctly laughs at them, I have no idea why this is the one people have decided is real.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Only a few (mostly long gone) people here ever argued with me against this so I'm not exactly saying I told you so,

are you sure

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Raise the luxury tax limit so smaller market teams feel less constrained.

Share more revenue.

dump the salary cap entitely imo

I think the supermax can be a deterrent to re-signing lots of guys but not someone like Leonard who was a legit MVP candidate as recently as last year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

How would that have the effect in question

dunno but salary caps are bad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Being an All-Star this year is the worst thing that could have happened to Dame. He needs to feel slighted in some way.

He played by far his best basketball of the season after being named to the team

Y'all should be ashamed of this Colin Cowherd rear end conversation.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MelancholyMark posted:

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/986821901648584704
Gobert really has tutored him well on social media pettiness

He does the zipper face guy before literally every game

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/986800327210029057?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dr.Radical posted:

I mean the “evidence”

Got noticably larger and more muscular late in his career (Jordan going from a hyper athletic slasher to someone who bullied smaller guards in the post is basically the basketball equivalent of Bonds going from a skinny all around star to a slugger in his late 30s), played baseball at the height of the steroid era, notriously competitive and desperate for any edge, a known cheater at cards and other games, prone to wild mood swings

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 19, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

I can’t believe we are back to counting up points.

it is literally a game decided by who scores the most points

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

So Allen iverson is good again ?

I swear I remember a long debate about how he was overrated

The rehabilitation of the chucker.

https://twitter.com/derekbodnernba/status/986976293802725376

This goes both ways, do Philly fans now think that Allen Iverson was bad?

I literally did not mention Ben Simmons a single time yesterday, it is hilarious how y'all somehow take Jazz fans being excited about a really good rookie on their team as a slight

Who exactly on Utah do you guys think Mitchell should be deferring to as a shot creator? If they can't generate a wide open three or lob he's basically the only guy on the team who can score

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 19, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WHY DO YOU HATE BEN SIMMONS?????

(seriously this is a really good point, and something Mitchell does a lot)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

That's only his second best troll in the thread, the first is when he claims that by adjusting for era MJ would be Rudy Gay. WHiteryce you were a lil devil

I am almost positive I was the first person to accuse Jordan of PED use because I am a petty jerk but the degree to which some of y'all ran with it was very inspiring

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ingles and Gobert are extremely efficient scorers so clearly the offense should be built around isoing the balding unathletic math teacher and the center who can't dribble or shoot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's cool and unique to see a successful team give so many shots to a rookie but I feel like Gobert once again has been lost in the shuffle, he's the real reason they're in playoffs, not Mitchell. Jazz looked like poo poo without him

Niwrad posted:

Gobert is their best player and it's not even close. Gobert is really good.

Who is disputing this? Gobert is clearly their best player but it's also true that they wouldn't be able to score at anything close to an acceptable level without Mitchell. The defense carries the team and is the biggest reason they're as good as they are but you still have to be able to score points. They're both really important players

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

It was because the person I was originally responding to made it sound like Mitchell was the reason they made the playoffs. You need to relax a bit about Donovan Mitchell

I would not have to keep defending him if it weren't for the fact that literally any compliment of him sparks like seven Philly posters throwing a fit.

The post you were responding to mentioned the defense! It said they relied on Mitchell to score, which is true

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

I just want it to be known I have nothing against Donovan Mitchell and I think he'll be a perennial all-star, I'm just sick of RUDY GOBERT not getting CREDIT and I won't take it anymore. No way. Even if it means stepping on some toes

you know what jerk I am actually glad Hayward horrificially broke his leg and think he deserved it how is that for stepping on toes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

Don't the Lakers have to find someone to take Deng's contract?

No

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I assume they're gonna waive and stretch Deng, which knocks off at least a bit, but they have a ton of space after the Clarkson and Nance trade

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Nate Duncan - who now loves Mitchell for his ability to chuck and get points per game - said last year (and I’m paraphrasing ) that he doesn’t even look at traditional stats like ppg and raw points and instead on looks at efficiency stats and ratings when he evaluates a player.

Times are changing I guess. But for the better ? I’ll keep an open mind.

Age of the bucket getters.

Honestly i think it's mostly a context thing where they recognize that he has to play like that for Utah to have any offense. Or maybe they just got yelled at about Ben Simmons so many times it broke their brain and now they think eFG% is a lie, I dunno.

Lowe voted Simmons btw, he just also thinks Mitchell is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

You don’t need to convince me Mitchell is having a very good rookie year

then why do you do this yeah but field goal percentage thing every time that's pointed out?

• Locked thread