Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I'm going to post everyone's deepest secret wish, since it won't happen: Kawhi returns and the Spurs destroy Golden State in 5. Kawhi is carried off on Pop's shoulders.

edit- and Zaza bunnyhops back to Georgia never to be seen again on court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Nope

Fast Luck posted:

Theres a guy at work that keeps telling me that Carmelo is good and the Thunder's problem is Westbrook, and that he didn't wnat a GSW/OKC first round matchup because he wants that matchup later in the playoffs. There's real people who think this way

He's begging you to take his money. I don't think he's a real person, tbf.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dejan Bimble posted:

"I feel like Melo has another gear" is the stupidest NBA analyst sentence I've heard all year. Prove me wrong Caramelaveigne

Hold my gear

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

chunkles posted:

me getting hyped for the first round

This looks like a postage issue for a central African dictator for life

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Furriners dominating and lo 'n behold, Can Playem Kanter is right middling ahead of his 'stache bro.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

He looks like a banana split

He mos def does not look like William T. Gibbons

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hmmm. Looks like after 2 blockbuster trades for Paul George and over-the-hill-Melo, the Thunder's record improved by...... 1 game. :thunk:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ChickenMedium posted:

I mean on the one hand, it's a phrase that people his age would have grown up thinking was just a clean alternative to "mother loving" and probably gave no second thought to it. On the other hand, it is super racist.

On the 3rd hand the guy is black and an ex-player (and Idk the context of cotton-picking, but on the 4th, he has a maddening stutter (and possibly Tourette's, so you'd ask why the hell is he even an announcer itfp amirite?) and that's probably a go-to escape phrase. I don't see racism.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Adjusts :monocle: Oh right, the other guy.

Dejan Bimble posted:

America needs to embrace soccer so that there's a sport with space for people who aren't very tall, so all people of normal height don't have to be forced into cornerback, safety, point guard, and running back

Imagine if Teddy Roosevelt had followed through on his threat to ban college handeggball. There'd have been no NFL. Only footie.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MourningView posted:

You can just say you like watching boxing, man, you don't have to pretend that watching two guys give each other dementia for your entertainment is somehow moral. I still watch football I'm not in any position to judge

My dad was a big boxing fan, which I kind of understood, him coming from the Bronx. But he was such a gentle man. I got more clued in when my sister wanted to take him to see a biopic called Raging Bull, and I named the fighter. He says, "Hell no, I wouldn't watch that, that guy's a bum, I grew up in the same tenement with them. His little brother and me, we didn't get along at all."
And when my mom was brought into the conversation, she's all "Oh yeah that Vicky, the neighborhood tart!"

No point to the anecdote except that Jake LaMotta took an insane amount of shots to the head and lived to nearly 100 with no dramatic dementia. Otoh, he was a middleweight. And an rear end in a top hat, if the stories my dad told were true. And why would he lie?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jota posted:

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/985877024639209472

On the one hand it sucks that Hal Greer died, but on the other I won't pretend I had any idea he was still alive.

He was a hella prototype guard

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

zoux posted:

Look it's simple. If Kawhi leaves, Lebron is coming to San Antonio, case closed

LeBron would not play for Pop and Pop would not have the aggravation. Case closed

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mods ban this chucklefuck pls

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Word is his handlers didn't like his shoe contract offer and may want a big city to augment his brand.

For lack of a shoe, a ship was lost.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

euphronius posted:

Who took a pay cut to go to OkC.

Any teacher that has stayed.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Brolander posted:

dont make a post that is just a signature

I think Anne gets a pass, or passes idk.....

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Hayward wanted to become bigger than Larry Bird.

Then he broke his leg and ruined the rest of his career.

Bird basically played on one leg when he needed to.

There once was a baller named Hayward
Whose career went slightly wayward
Landed so hard in Boston
His legs well he lost 'em
He didn't tell his body not today, word

I'll see mys elf out

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

RaySmuckles posted:

oh ok, that makes sense. i didn't watch much of the rockets game tonight because it was a slaughter

anyway, i just want to express my condolences once again to the popovich family

though none of us knew anything about erin, even finding a picture of her is challenging, we all know pop and what he's done for the league and the city of san antonio. the man is a national treasure, respected by many of us lowly fans all the way up to presidents. he has been a shining example of leadership and respectfulness, making sure the people around him were taken care of and provided for. while he suffers, the league suffers with him. i hope we can take a moment and send whatever prayers or positive thoughts we can muster his way

Rip Mrs Popovich and Hotlanta's mum and all good ladies who fall to this cruel disease

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NotWearingPants posted:

The 15 more points scored by Mitchell is obviously more valuable than the 50+ points generated by Simmons' assists.

Mitchell is a great fit for that team, and I really think they're going to beat OKC.

Also lol at this because it's true

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dokmo posted:

No, it's that he shoots when there are better options available, like open teammates or 18 seconds of shot clock left

Like Russ or Melo for example

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I just want it to be known I have nothing against Donovan Mitchell and I think he'll be a perennial all-star, I'm just sick of RUDY GOBERT not getting CREDIT and I won't take it anymore. No way. Even if it means stepping on some toes

Gobert, more like Goobair, steps on toes all the time, but crafty Adams makes it look like he gets pushed or tripped every play.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hey scuz, maybe C/P the article for the rest of us who don't sub to the WSJ? TIA? TYVM RSVP HAND

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

scuz posted:

My bad dude, sorry. I don't have a sub either, it must just work in incognito mode or somethin.

You're a good man scuz. I tried incognito, but maybe it already was wise to my antics. I tried roughing up the dame at the front desk, but she wouldn't squeal.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jota posted:

some day i will crack the case about how old you are mr mambo

*Godfather voice* Good. Someday three years from now, and that day may never come, it'll be a number. A funny number.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Time posted:

My dude are you a wizard at 417 years old

Friend Time, it is even possible within your realm for one who has seen Your True Form......if he has studied his Agrippa......

which I have-

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rabbi Tupac posted:

"Mitchell Neil William "Mitch" McGary is an American former professional basketball player who is currently a bowler."

This reads like the beginning of a Coen Brothers script. What is boggling to me is- and this is not a Matt Barnes AMA revelation, although that confirms what everyone's known for years- how the hell this whiteboy or anyone could bomb out of the league for smoking pot.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

At least he found something that he loved doing. Knockin' em down, slingin pin, whippin' the noodle

You've got one up on several NBA gms

I'm seeing a novelty act where he strolls up to the lane on a unicycle with a giant spliff tucked in his bowler and slam dunks a 12 lb bowling ball into the pocket

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

WhyteRyce posted:

Wtf is with this historical revisionism when that PG13 trade went down it was uniformly regarded as Pritchard magic and how Indy got ripped off. No one thought Dipo was a really good player who would make a major leap. Even when he started playing well it was "lol he's only good in Indy"

I think you meant Presti magic, but lol at the froodian.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Stotts isn't terrible. I think the roster is flawed beyond belief and don't see how Olshey doesn't get the majority of the blame for that.

Stotts was a good player for the Sooners back in the day, and is a good coach.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MourningView posted:

Dolan periodically still floats the idea of bringing back Isiah so he's loyal in his own weird way

I don't see it with Phoenix. They have one good player and then a bunch of garbage. I'd rather have the Lakers young guys on balance, and they're in a way better position to add a legit star. I guess I don't know for sure that Luke is getting axed though

That's right, you don't know Luke is being axed and I don't think Jeannie Buss will let it happen.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NTRabbit posted:

He's outright stated this season he wants to create history and lead Australia to the gold medal, he's not getting poached

Actually, if he does that he'll end up scrambled over easy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Henchman of Santa posted:

No one is saying they would beat the US but every other country is effectively going for Silver unless Larry Brown is coaching

Bribing Adam Silver won't get you anywhere in the Olympics doh.

I will now see myself to the posting door.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tae posted:

Carmelo gonna cost the Thunder Paul George

Thunder are going into tank mode again, or retank in this case and be sold back to Seattle

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

zoux posted:

The craziest thing about him is that he's 24

That is totally not the craziest thing about him, but I get where you're coming from.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DeimosRising posted:

Last off-season Adams’s stock was so low he went for like 7 bucks in the forums auction playtime. Now a season later he’s a secret top 5 center. It’s hard to say really, he’s a weird player

Seems to be a good defender, but doesn't get a lot of blocks or altered shots and is prone to fouling still years into his career. Famously hard screener and a good finisher, but often disappears completely. Doesn’t rebound, but at least partly cause he just boxes out extremely well for others instead

He'd be a lot better with fundamental coaching, imo. He's not an elite shot blocker like Gobert, but he really ought to be able to own the paint and learn to quit lunging consistently like a fool at unblockable shots. Also, he drifts and forgets his man a lot for easy layups for the opposition.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jota posted:

if the sixers lose i hope they send meeks rear end back to jail

lol, that ought to be part of the conditions and ugh draymond get the gently caress off my screen you douche

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Props to the Sixers and their rabid fan kennel... they well kept their cool in a series against a Miami team that resorted to a lot of thuggery, and that shows a lot more maturity than you'd typically expect from so many young players. Good luck getting to the finals.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Can't play Melo.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Akbar posted:

This is like Stockholm syndrome

Either you don't understand Stockholm syndrome or you've got the wrong ex-Thunder doh KD

edit- or your post is 6th dimensional chess re: how suck the OKC franchise is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MelancholyMark posted:

If it goes to six I hope he comes to the Utah game too

Me too.

• Locked thread