Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rockets over Wolves in 4
Spurs over Warriors in 6
Portland over Pelicans in 7
Thunder over Jazz in 7

Raptors over Wizards in 5
Bucks over Celtics in 6
76ers over Miami in 6
Cavs over Pacers in 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Want to just remind everyone that Kevin Durant sucks and huffs farts and also Steph Curry is a constantly injured system point guard who is also bad, and also Draymond Green is over the hill and a headcase.

Klay is cool though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Are there any updates on Curry and Kawhi? I seem to remember Wardell being ruled out for the 1st round. Any hints about Kawhi's status, or should we keep on assuming he's done for the year?

Kerr said Curry is not playing in the first round. Kawhi is as mysterious as ever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I love the sleepy eyed, dick touching, candy eating, root beer barrel

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

iospace posted:

On a scale from four to seven, representing how many games the Bucks/Celtics series might go to, how hosed are the Bucks?

The Celtics are decimated by injury and the Bucks have the 5th best basketballsman in the world.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

IIRC the Suns and Knicks are also considering Stackhouse as well

If I had to choose between working for the Suns, Knicks, or Hornets I'd pick the hornets without even batting an eye.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Ah another "this deal isn't that bad because the cap just went up so it's not as much as it sounds" deal that ends up being bad

Actually, its good because that's just how much you had to pay Batum to sign him that year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hmmm. Looks like after 2 blockbuster trades for Paul George and over-the-hill-Melo, the Thunder's record improved by...... 1 game. :thunk:

MVP.... MVP.... KISS THE TRIPLE DOUBLES

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

that Adams video of him shooting threes makes me wonder if there are other bigs out there that could one day shoot threes. I wonder if there's a way we can kind of predict that, it would be fun. Maybe starting from big FT% and work from there?

not really what your asking. But Adams shooting unguarded 3s on fresh legs in practice means almost nothing, and certainly does not mean he will ever shoot them well in game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

You should hear the sports talk radio shows around here, the most prevalent line of Celtics coverage is an ongoing "WHY AL HORFORD ISN'T WORTH THE MAX" rant

This is why I don't have any friends that I can watch basketball with

Why would anyone with half a brain listen to new england sports radio?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Can we please not force "Playoff P" that nickname is so loving stupid

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lenny Beans on the Lakers next year is going to PISS me off

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

lebron on a team that like, actually runs plays? basketball plays? where other players...move?

the biggest worry of any gm would be having 4 all stars who are worth a max. how do you cope? its impossible. your teams ruined

Well lets look at the history of 4 all star teams, shall we?

The Hawks: Frauds.

The Warriors: A team of overpayed, overrated assholes and a fart huffing pissbaby

I'd be worried too!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lessail posted:

one day nearly everything going right for boston sports teams will dry up and it'll be one of the best days in the sporting world

lmao

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

triple sulk posted:

anime is good

Mods?!?!?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

Also he'd be walking away from a supermax contract with the best organization in the NBA.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/986273156238364674
Are there any restrictions on endorsement deals for G-League players? While a raise is nice, that's still a pretty loving low salary. Obviously your average G-League guy isn't going to sign a lot of shoe deals, but if the G-League becomes a destination for top HS prospects rather than doing the one-and-done thing, could they sign endorsement deals?

84K with benefits is not a *low* salary. The season is only 5 months long, and while they do have to work something out for the rest of the year they are not below the poverty line or anything like that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

Where are you getting 84k from

they get paid 35k over a 5 month season. Extrapolated out to a year, that's 84k.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

What basketball job are they doing the other 7 months that makes your point relevant at all

What are you even saying. Like do you expect them to just like, sit on their asses for the other 7 months? They will have to work in some compacity, and it sure as poo poo does not have to be basketball. Even so, there are leagues all around the world.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 17, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Their job is professional basketball player. You can’t hand wave away low pay by saying “ you have your summers off!”

Do you expect them to do what paint houses.

Ignoring that for some reason you think that these people are above manual labor (which, like what the gently caress is that point). You don't get to just decide what you want your profession to be, and above that you cant decide if you are going to make a full years livable wage doing that if you decide to try to make it in a cut throat profession.

NBA G leaguers needed to receive a livable wage for playing in the G-League. They received that, I;m not sure what you are expecting them to make.

Also this is way more than "Summers off", this is half the goddamn year. They can do anything, gently caress. Do real estate, bag groceries, and yes, even paint houses. There is nothing wrong with manual labor.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

My point is that you cant just say "Oh I want to be a professional basketball player in the NBA" and decide that warrants you making upwards of 100k a year. The G league is designed to develop talent, scout, and catch people on the fringes that could make NBA rosters. Players know this.

These people are taking a chance, because they could almost certainly make more money overseas in pro leagues, but they want the chance to make an NBA roster, or be closer to their family, or whatever. And they sure as poo poo deserve a livable wage for their labor, which they are now getting, or at the very least, are much, much closer to getting.

There are a lot of arguments around this that should happen. Mainly if the NBA wants the G-League to be the real deal then they should pay higher wages to convince more people to forgo playing over seas to take a chance stateside. But I really don't see how this is anything but a huge win for players.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Basketball related income was like 7 billion last year

You know the G-League has almost nothing to do with any of that income. Come on.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Lakers are in a really good spot, but still a couple years away unless they make some big moves. But they have talent, they are starting to turn that into production, and there's no obvious roadblocks other than the Deng Contract. Also Lonzo Ball is a good young player :colbert:

I just cannot shake the feeling that Kawhi + Paul George in LA is going to happen. A Lonzo/PG/Kawhi/Kuzma/Randle would probably put them around 50 wins.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

who are the lakers giving up to get kawhi in this situation?

Something like Ingrham+Zubac+1st rounder. obviously this depends greatly on teams like 76ers or Boston not throwing the farm at SAS, but Ingrham is one of the best players that could be offered for Kawhi outside of Tatum or Fultz.

CRISPYBABY posted:

No one, they got salary room for two maxes. Although I don't think they can pay Randle if they do that.

lmao that they have that much cap room and are still paying Deng 18 million.

My though process is that you do these trade around the draft, QO Randle and sign PG on the first day of Free Agency. I think (emphasis on think because I am in no means an expert) that in this situation they can get them all under their cap.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Trades aren't just between two teams. You don't need to provide more value to the team than the player gives, you need to provide more value than the next highest bidder.

If you think kawhi is going to give you all star value, do you let another team get him for peanuts because you don't think the Spurs have enough leverage? Or do you offer more than you think anyone else will to get him?

Obviously this is a simplification, but the Spurs don't need leverage if there is more than 1 team that wants kawhi. And there definitely is. Now, what the return market is for Superstars is another topic entirely.

The big this with Kawhi is if you buy his "I want to play in LA" crap. Same as Paul George, really. Depending on if teams do or do not buy into it, it effects on what they are going to be willing to part ways with. As good as Kawhi is, no one is going to trade a lot for him if they earnestly believe that he will be a 1 year rental.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Randle is a $12million cap hold until they get a contract out, QO doesn't get rid of that. I don't think they can do that, but I haven't looked at all the math.

Ah, that's where I am confused; I thought the cap hold was his previous years salary.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Did some quick math.

Lakers next year with kawhi and losing Zubac and Ingram are at 52 million, roughly.

Gives them 49million to work with in terms of trades/signing.

This means that they can do something really stupid, lets say... Take on Gasol's contract in the trade with the Spurs.

Kawhi+Gasol's 16 million for Ingram+Zubac+First rounder puts them at 100million, which is under the cap without touching any exceptions they have.

They would have:

Lonzo/PG/Kawhi/Kuzma/Gasol

Hart
Ennis
Deng
Two Way Contracts.

Obviously that bench is scary bad, but I dont think this scenario is completely out of the question. Even more interesting, this would have 34 million of Gasol/Deng coming off the books at the same time in 2020, which could give them anywhere from 12-20 million to work with in cap space then.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

You only have to match salaries if both teams are over the cap.

E: Or rather, only the team over the cap has to worry about incoming salary.

Moreso, the Lakers being so far under the cap is maybe the best thing they have going for them. Being able to absorb a contract like Gasol is not a small thing for the Spurs, and would give them max cap room this offseason, or next.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

You are penciling in PG as a ~ 34 million Fa here ?

The depth is real bad there but you’d have the full mid level and also biannual.

31, isn't he a 30% cap guy?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I also think most people just stopped caring about Lavar around February.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

Two Manus???

Weird that they would put Manu's bald head on the billboard.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Congratulations for the entire nation of Canada solving racism. You did it, guys.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Walrus posted:

I guess I phrased that poorly, what I should have said is that torontonians are proud of our city's multiculturalism. that's all I meant. am now happy to end the discussion as a mod has requested as such. go raps.

Same with New York, LA, Boston, Seattle, San Fransisco, Austin, Dallas, DC, Grand Rapids Michigan and probably every other city in America

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

The Stockton D-League team is going to be called Kings as well. Way to blow the opportunity to call yourselves the Stockton Davids after your team's most prolific player :mad:

But really it's a boring decision made probably to try and entice Warriors fans in Stockton to come over which won't happen because who wants to watch a team of players not good enough to play for the actual Kings

They should be called the Stockton Cow Tippers

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

wow cant believe this

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

how could this happen in Toronto, a post race mecca and cultural cornerstone of the world.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jordan Clarkson is my favorite "meh" player in the league.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

pubic works project posted:

Larry Bird totally broke Hibbert.

Actually it was Kyle Korver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO_Vx8Oeydo

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

pubic works project posted:

drat...that video just broke ME....

you BLOCKED my SHOT

Paul Zuvella