Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Theres a guy at work that keeps telling me that Carmelo is good and the Thunder's problem is Westbrook, and that he didn't wnat a GSW/OKC first round matchup because he wants that matchup later in the playoffs. There's real people who think this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

I wonder if that spot in Missouri where four teams converge is just a hot pot of bitter rivalry.
Theyr probably Bulls fans. Lord have mercy

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

RaySmuckles posted:

edit: i don't think its just the shoes. i think legacy plays a big part of it. would you rather be pop's next star player, gosh he's so amazing he can go out there with a team of recycled tampons and make the playoffs, or would you rather be kobe
I think being the next star player in the lineage of David Robinson and Tim Duncan should be pretty alluring and the Pop part of the equation means they can be title contenders if Kawhi is there. It's a hell of a situation to force yourself out of.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Hawks waived Belinelli earlier this year and now he's averaging 20ppg in the first three games of the playoffs!

Ramadu posted:

lol the sarvers strike again
The Suns have at least a couple fun young pieces to work with but I can't imagine wanting to work for the Suns organization

Two Tone Shoes posted:

news: pels good

views: yes

news:

views: lol
sad. I picked the Pels in 7 on bracketology but I can't even crow because it's not THAT much of an upset. It's only Portland they're beating.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Metapod posted:

Booker and Jackson are real good
They're poised to add someone like Ayton or Doncic in the draft this year too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Stevie Lee posted:

idk I think he won both of those pretty easily
"you got swept" was a boring flame and making fun of the guys clothes was ok but...
"you writing that from jrue holiday's pocket?" -good own
"no im writing it from my FANCY CAR because im RICH" -embarrassing poo poo

I realize CJ McCollum's twitter fight is old news but it's very important to me that I post my ruling.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

Maybe they can fly Carmelo to Miami or Los Angeles instead of Utah.
Just let him wear a hoodie with his jersey and he'll ball out. It's simple.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It is my contention that i picked all 16 playoff teams correctly in Zogo's preseason poll.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If Kenny only drives enough that he needs to put in a quarter tank per week, then he can, like the average American, stop once per week and put in a tidy $20 to up the tank from 1/2 full to 3/4 full! Apologies if this is too controversial.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 27, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

and Kevin Love was their second leading scorer with 11ppg.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 30, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

dokmo posted:

I don't know what any of those things are I'll just assume it's a video game thing. loving nerds
It's a superhero thing. loving nerds

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Friends I too did a double take this morning when I looked at the box score. In fact after seeing AD's points vs FGM I even tapped AD's name to open up his page to see his ft numbers for myself!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

yea ok posted:

endearing himself to utah fans
Yeah this is the correct take. Mitchell publicly calling out use of AAVE is the most Utah thing possible

haha from the replies

https://twitter.com/ontargethoops/status/991520650564177920

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 2, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

Fultz trade is an eternal curse . He’s cooked and Tatum looks like a HOfer

Might be worse Than the Moses Malone / brad Daugherty debacle
Ainge did a Brooklyn Nets to Philly!!!! Ainge did a Brooklyn Nets to Philly!!!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spacebump posted:

The real what if for this season will be "what Kawhi played?" The second best what if is "what if Boogie got to play with the post trade Pelicans?" However, I did not consider the Pelicans contenders at the start of the season for different reasons so that one is just hindsight.
What if... what if Rubio played

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Celtics only have to carry Kyrie for one more year, then he'll opt out and they can let him walk. After that all that's left is trading off Hayward, but some team with an expiring contract would probably be willing to give him a shot. Then they can live out these glory days of Terry the Terror and Jaylen/Jayson forever

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

b-minus1 posted:

golden state's continued dominance terrible for the NBA, and durant signing with them was the straw that broke the camel's back. I watched the game last night and quickly realized that this is not going to be a competitive series. the warriors will win in 5 games at most, and we're going to get another warriors/cavs finals matchup for the fourth consecutive year. snore.
That would be sort of cool if I felt like the Cavs had a chance, but they definitely wouldn't.

Durant joining an already championship team with the best regular season record in history should have been vetoed by the commissioner for "basketball reasons" and Durant's portrait should have been hung on some Wall of Shame at the league office for his shameful attempt to join the team that came back from a 3-1 lead against him.

Ghost Dog posted:

after careful deliberation I, a smart person, think kevin durant sniffing farts isnt funny
finally someone says it

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 15, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ammanas posted:

Again it's not a question of Thompson taking the max and Lacob going into luxury tax. It's a question of Thompson taking less so the team retains Livingstone and Iguodala. Lacob isn't going into the tax, dude is probably a couple tech bubble judders away from insolvency (I hope anyway)
Isn't one of the reasons LeBron spurned Miami because they cut his friend Mike Miller to save tax money?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lockback posted:

Yeah, somehow "Basketball reasons" has gone from what it originally meant (We own this team, and as owners we think this trade is horseshit and are vetoing it) to somehow meaning the exact opposite in "We're the league so we veto". I'm not even sure where to start to correcting that.
I think I'm the only one that used that phrase and I was just throwing it out there because it's a great phrase! Perfect for when you're hyperbolically talking about how KD signing with the Warriors was so bad it should have been prevented by the league!

But if we're talking about it I'm pretty sure it actually was kind of messed up. Like, the commissioner works for the owners, and it's in the interest of the other owners for New Orleans to sit around not dealing their star player to a contender. In other words, there were conflict of interest issues in letting Stern run the team, but it couldn't just be left frozen and unable to make transactions either. So one thing the NBA said was, we'll let Dell Demps run the team as he sees fit, and they also appointed an independent team chairman. Then Demps makes this blockbuster trade, and the trade actually gets announced, only for Stern to reach back in and veto it, which is a huge deal. The league was supposed to keep the team at arms' length, but they instead vetoed the transaction and cited vague "basketball reasons" as the justification, so it's not really out of place at all to reference that when you're joking about how the league should veto a transaction for basketball reasons! Obviously it's different in that the league owned New Orleans, and they couldn't do that now, but it's worth noting other GMs, like Dan Gilbert for example, made snotty statements demanding a veto, and that Cuban had even cried over the team acquiring Carl Landry previously. Which again brings us back to the conflict of interest thing, and that the league actually shouldn't have vetoed the trade then either. Apparently "basketball reasons" made it necessary. So I think we should continue to flippantly ask the league to veto things for basketball reasons, actually.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 16, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cavs taking both at home and making this a series again.

Book it.
What if the CAvs are actually just bad. Like, the Pacers series was who they actually are, and the Toronto series was against the same cast of players that got swept by the Wizards and Paul Pierce every year.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

Im from the middle part, and it is weird as gently caress. I even knew a kid who loved the Red sox and football Giants.

No one loved the jets, still
Yeah Connecticut is weird, a friend of mine is from there and his teams are also Red Sox/NY Giants/UConn hoops. What's weird is going NY for one sport and Boston for another, how does that happen

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spite posted:

Not if Iggy and Klay are out/gimpy.

It will be interesting to see some epic meltdowns as one of these 2 teams realizes they are going to be eliminated though.

Didn't the NFL only start having players on the field for the anthem like 10 years ago? Of course, I don't really understand why a private sporting event even plays the national anthem. Did you win a gold medal at the olympics? No? Then what does this have to do with anything?
The military pays the NFL a bunch of money in exchange for them honoring troops and letting them fly jets around lmao
https://thinkprogress.org/nfl-dod-national-anthem-6f682cebc7cd/

This winter I went with some people to a thing called Tuba Christmas where anyone that wants to can sign up and get on stage with a big group to play Christmas songs on the tuba. And that event had a moment to honor the troops. Tuba Christmas! you seriously can't escape the omnipresent jingoism of this country.

the NFL guys protesting aren't even "disrespecting" the flag or the troops to begin with, I wonder how many conservative heads would explode if someone actually did say gently caress the flag and gently caress our bloated rear end racist imperialist military

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 24, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

yeah hilariously there was blowback in the form of "How DARE the nfl charge the military for this???"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

jackofarcades posted:

Uh what https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/29/17406750/bryan-colangelo-philadelphia-76ers-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz

Bryan Colangelo was operating 1 to 5 twitter sockpuppets to defend himself and also leak info and other poo poo???
He trashes Embiid with these, he unironically needs to go. Wow, this seems like the biggest fake twitter scandal I've seen, sports or otherwise.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I saw something else about how she's from Italy and one of the accounts follows someone that tweets out inspirational religious quotes in Italian, how the accounts follow some school-related people who gave her a booster award, and how she's involved enough in basketball to have tipped Colangelo off on the ability of Dantoni. :lol: on his wife possibly being the one behind this.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lets go to the replay!!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mdemone posted:

Charge/block should be one of the replay-proof calls EXCEPT regarding the restricted area
The charge/block call has clear cases where it's one way or the other but it also has a big fat subjective grey zone in thr middle. Overturning a call like that by lying about thinking you have to check the restricted zone makes no sense in more than one way. Dumbass refs

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Despera posted:

Um getting the rebound after a missed second free throw isnt some 1 in 1 billion thing.
but JR bringing the ball back out and holding it while time expires is not the result anyone in that arena expected from that rebound.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jota posted:

When it comes to refereeing it would be nice if the league just did the simple things, like stop employing the guy linked to Tim Donaghy.
Yeah, I actually didn't realize that he was implicated in that until somebody posted the link, which makes his continued employment pretty absurd especially when combined with stuff like this:

quote:

In January, the Los Angeles Times conducted an anonymous survey of "nearly three dozen" NBA players, head coaches and assistant coaches, who were asked to name the league's three worst referees.

The runaway winner, with 10 more votes than the runner-up: Scott Foster.

"You can't talk to him. He's never wrong," one player said of Foster. "I like refs where they say, 'You know what, I made a mistake. I saw it at halftime. You were right.' But Scott Foster thinks he never makes a mistake. The players see the stats of how he is on the road. He always helps the road team out. He loves to stick it to teams."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

Rodman is the greatest rebounder in the history of the league and a way, way better defender. Its not even remotely close.

Tristain thompson is like the homeless, meth ridden man's version of half of Rodman
I can't even imagine how shook Kevin Durant would be after being guarded by Rodman in a bo7 series.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Cool Buff Man posted:

That's what I mean, if they encouraged him to pass on him in the draft it might be because he didn't look great in his workouts, which would line up with a couple other reports from the time
Which would also explain why Ainge allegedly was "always" going to draft Tatum, even at #1. A lot of people have said that claim was post-trade rear end-covering BS but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dejan Bimble posted:

Guys who go to work for the NBA league office always seem to get courtesy interviews
"Nba deep state" is a term I've been using only half jokingly. But it's really probably like this at any organization

• Locked thread