Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Nobody calls the Trailblazers the T-Blazers, what's up with T-Wolves? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
KAT appeared nervous as hell and he likely took a brain vacation after getting stuffed by Capela in the first quarter. Butler's not even close to 100% yet, but we only lost by 3! There hasn't been a fun-to-watch Wolves/Rockets game all year, so, yeah, Wolves in 7.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Pop go on chapo

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

Don't the Lakers have to find someone to take Deng's contract?

Thibs'll do it. I mean, why not?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
What with the WOLVES IN 7 poo poo not going well, I'm very happy for Kibner and am gonna hop on that Pels wagon cuz NOLA is a great town and the Pels/AD are super fun to watch.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kibner posted:

I'm sorry y'all, but Davis doing the McGregor while Jrue points and laughs is just amazing to me:

https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/987337921014435841
Been watching on repeat and having to explain to my coworkers just what's so goddamn funny.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Japanese lady who illustrates the OKC players gets the royal treatment and it's so :3: I can't stand it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hey scuz, maybe C/P the article for the rest of us who don't sub to the WSJ? TIA? TYVM RSVP HAND

My bad dude, sorry. I don't have a sub either, it must just work in incognito mode or somethin.

quote:

Nanae Yamano, an Oklahoma City Thunder superfan who happens to be a stay-at-home mother in the Tokyo suburbs, had never been to an NBA game before this week. She had never been to Oklahoma City. She had never been anywhere outside Japan.

She didn’t know how she would handle watching her favorite team in person—an idea was so far beyond the realm of imagination that she had no reason to believe she would ever find out.

“And then this happened,” she said.

This was the long series of unlikely events that culminated with Nanae Yamano sitting courtside at the Oklahoma City Thunder’s playoff game on Wednesday night as the team’s honored guest.

It all started last month when The Wall Street Journal published a story about Yamano, whose Thunder artwork had become so popular online that it reached her subjects: the Oklahoma City players were sharing it around the locker room. They knew who she was. They did not know she was a 43-year-old mother who lived very, very far away from Oklahoma City.

The NBA contacted Yamano after the story and offered to pay for her trip to a potential Thunder playoff game. She got a passport, but she didn’t allow herself to get too excited. “We didn’t even know if the Thunder would make the playoffs,” she said.

When they clinched a spot in the last week of the season and home-court advantage on the last night of the season, she had to get halfway across the world faster than she expected. Her original flight was canceled. Her rebooked flights were delayed. She finally made it to Oklahoma City after a full day of traveling, and her chauffeur took her directly to the Thunder’s arena.

It was 3:30 a.m.

The rest of her pilgrimage was surreal in pretty much every way. She was recognized on the street by fans. She was officially welcomed on the JumboTron immediately after the Kiss Cam. She was introduced to Thunder players, local dignitaries and the halftime performer Red Panda. She was presented with two No. 0 jerseys—one that said “WESTBROOK” and one that said “NANAE-SAN.”

The same person who was used to watching the Thunder on her iPad found herself watching the Thunder from NBA commissioner Adam Silver’s seats.

Her carefully planned itinerary started with a personal invitation to City Hall by the mayor of Oklahoma City. She visited the Thunder offices and took pictures with team employees. She tweeted many photos of many buildings and was fascinated by “No Firearms Allowed” signs in windows. She dined at the steakhouse where Thunder players are regulars, and she apologized profusely when she couldn’t finish her enormous slab of meat. The next morning, after clearing her plate of fried green tomato eggs Benedict, she was treated to a guided tour of the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, where she admired John Wayne’s Buddhas and Ronald Reagan’s cowboy boots.

It might not be long before Yamano’s art is hung in museums here given the way her work has been embraced by the city.

She turns her iPad into a sketchpad after every Thunder game, and the results are undeniably adorable. Oklahoma City staffers print their favorite Yamanos from Instagram to hang around the office, and they watched her draw in chalk on a wall inside the team’s arena upon her arrival. They spoke with Yamano through her translator, Reo Onishi, an NBA writer in Tokyo, but she also understands English well enough that she’s funny and charming in both languages.

Before the game, as she giggled and gasped and generally convulsed with joy meeting the strangers she’d only seen on social media, she realized she wasn’t exactly meeting strangers. “It seems like I know everybody,” she said.

What she did not expect was for everybody to know her. Or for someone to approach her as she walked around town and say: “I follow you on Instagram!” Or for her fans to want autographs. She had never signed her work before, and she was blown away that she had fans.

It would be reasonable at this point to ask how any of this actually happened.

Yamano was bored doing laundry one day in 2012 when she turned on her television and found herself mesmerized by Russell Westbrook and the Thunder even though she didn’t know who Russell Westbrook was or what the Thunder were.

But that one game was all it took to enthrall her. Nanae Yamano became obsessed with the Oklahoma City Thunder, and the deeply enigmatic Russell Westbrook became her artistic muse.

She watches every game without having to clear her schedule—“I have no schedule,” she says—and usually by herself with her husband at work and her son at school. As the game approached on Wednesday night, she realized she was going to be surrounded by 18,000 of her people.

“Maybe I can hide my craziness,” she said, “because everyone else is crazy.”

She walked into the arena hours before Game 2 of the Thunder’s series against the Utah Jazz. The only people around the court that early were there to watch Westbrook or to watch Yamano watch Westbrook.

Westbrook always ends his warmups by shooting corner 3-pointers until he makes one and sprints away, and Yamano was asked by the small army of Thunder and NBA employees around her to predict how many shots it would take. She said he would make his fourth.

He missed the first. He missed the second. He missed the third. He made his fourth.

Westbrook went through his entire warmup routine on the other side of the court without acknowledging Yamano. “He was exactly the way I thought he would be,” she said. There had been whispers of a post-game summit with Westbrook, and it seemed plausible that he was aware of her presence and couldn’t wait to meet her. It also seemed plausible he didn’t have a clue who she was.

But of all the basketball teams in all the world, she picked the one that perfectly embodies this city of booms and busts, and she got the full manic Thunder experience when they lost to the Jazz. She didn’t have to be told that Westbrook would not be in the mood to meet.

Andre Roberson came instead—she loves Roberson and Steven Adams almost as much as she’s inspired by Westbrook—and enveloped Yamano in a hug. There was no need for an introduction. He already knew her work, and she already knew he was a hugger.

She presented him with a beautiful wooden box handcrafted by her husband. Inside was a book of 82 drawings that she’d printed on a 7-11 copy machine—her depiction of the Thunder’s season. She told him it was for the team. As he flipped through the pages, Roberson said he was going to keep it for himself.

“I know we lost,” he said, “but did you enjoy the game?”

Nanae Yamano was so overwhelmed by the game that she couldn’t even draw afterward. That any of this had ever happened, she said as she left the arena, was like her version of the American dream.

She was barely able to sleep before she woke up early the next morning. She was leaving Oklahoma City after two magical days and flying right back to Tokyo.

Nanae Yamano had to be home in time for Game 3.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Metapod posted:

I love this

It's almost enough to make a guy get on the OKC bandwagon and just imagine they're all wearing Supersonics jerseys.

Mr. Mambold posted:

You're a good man scuz. I tried incognito, but maybe it already was wise to my antics. I tried roughing up the dame at the front desk, but she wouldn't squeal.
Margaret's a tough old bird.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Going to my first playoffs basketball game ever and it's for the Minnesota basketball Timberwolves who are going to win the series in 7 games and I'm very excited and might be drunk already.

Spacebump posted:

"Professional athletes smoke weed. Indeed, the overwhelming majority of them do, according to new player estimates. Some even smoke before games.

"All of my best games, I was medicated," says Matt Barnes"
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771410-athletes-smoke-weed-interviews-nba-nfl-420
That whole series was awesome.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

I went Saturday and going tonight as well. It was pretty crazy in there and they did a good job with the atmosphere.
Watched the full highlights of the game and was laughing and smiling and oh boy is tonight gonna be awesome.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:eyepop:

every now and then the internet does something to totally redeem itself

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bobby Digital posted:

A politician pandering well I never

:emptyquote:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cool Buff Man posted:

A fuckin voiy boiy LONGneck
had to go watch this immediately afterward

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I become a rich and famous athlete I'm gonna do what Wiggins does, watch movies, play video games, play with my dog.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

pubic works project posted:

So pretty much everything you do right now?
Good point. I should get a dog and just retire now :buddy:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am incredibly disappointed that the 2013 bulls could not win a playoff series

:perfect:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I must rescind my membership in the KoL, I cannot support an inveterate Goal Tender.
moe-with-a-cheesegrater-looking-disappointed.jpg

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cool Buff Man posted:

That Houston/Minny series was dreadfully boring
The exciting parts were:
1. all the fans in target center booing whenever harden had the ball
2. ???

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

PremiumBlend posted:

I think that this is what a basketball blockchain is.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

This one is much funnier than the previous episode.
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/989610071280771075
This is so good.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Where is this "what's closer the west coast or the moon" clip cuz oh my god.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
He's like Joey on Friends with the whole "point is moo" argument.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

Where is this "what's closer the west coast or the moon" clip cuz oh my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spcJW2MQHnE

Found it!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is almost as stupid as our new mayor declaring an official "Short Pants" day.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

wow Shaq could be turned into a flat-Earther very easily.

"No listen to what I'm saying if you turned the earth on its side it would reach Mars no question"

minutes later

"It would take 4,285.32 flat earths to reach Mars"

edit: i did the math

scuz fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 27, 2018

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Maybe its just a privilege thing but I never understand why anyone wouldn't fill up the tank every time.
If you haven't had $8 to live on for 3 days and filled up your tank and paid at the pump knowing full well that the bank just holds a $1 charge "placeholder" until 4 days later when the charge goes through then yeah, it's a privilege thing.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roy Hibbert: Shrimp Wall Employee

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ghost Dog posted:

a super fan of stairwell strife then
i'm glad the wolfs didn't give him a 3rd 10-day. good thing we're free of such drama surrounding the team and

*remembers he lives in the hellzone*

oh right. d-rose :smith:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

Here are a bunch of Lebron passes to open players that led to nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eseTJVwU-40

Dokmo you are a treasure.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Oh hey it's the one guy who didn't see it this weekend.
I won't get to see it (accidentally moused-over jota's post cuz who the hell uses spoilers unironically anymore) for like three weeks!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

A Jazz Sixers Finals would own.
:yeah:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

No! Wiggins stays. He stays forever. Crawford hit the bricks and that's fine but Wiggins stays. I have perhaps too much faith in the Maple Knight, he will deliver rings to the true north.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
If this has been argued to death I do apologize but how is every screen that Capela sets legal? His butt follows the dude around like a puppy and it's loving irritating to watch and I hope the rule book gets re-written to make the Rockets no longer a good team. :mad:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
He def is and I'm v interested in what they wind up doing with the one-and-done poo poo in the NCAA. I know there's a buncha stuff kinda happening but it's a lot of brainstorming afaik.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
But they kick out the old racists in the NBA? :confused:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had a reply but I'll just

Intruder posted:

Getting owned by Lebron shouldn't run this deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ghost Dog posted:

toronto can never be good till they remove the curse of vince. apologize, give him the team and then also get rid of the we the north poo poo. then and only then will you be able to beat 49 year old lebron james in a best of 7 series

why anyone of such posting caliber would ever deserve a probation is beyond me. idk how to post in an ironic manner. i'm not kidding.

• Locked thread