Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lol if this postseason has the Spurs upsetting the Warriors and Rockets.

edit:
never mind just saw the date on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Nice. Now the Mavs just need to win the lotto and draft Doncic.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Doncic won't go first from everything I've seen, he'll probably be there at 3 anyways

I am however constantly wrong

Who do people have going second after Ayton but before Doncic? (the real tragedy is going to be when 3 teams jump the Mavs in the lotto)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's impossible but Houston would be the most ridiculous team in a fantasy world where they somehow could resign Clint Capela and get King James+PG13. It would kill the league until Lebron and CP3 start to slow down.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Knicks hiring Stack would own, he would teach King Zing how to beat up opposing players in the hallways.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

What happened in the Cavs game? didn't get to watch.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

lol no Switch announcement because they have to give out so many free copies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Spite posted:

The celtics are trying to get super long and switchy. The combo of tatum and brown is probably more valuable than kawhi going forward imo.

Leonard healthy is a MVP caliber player, when you have a chance trade for a player on that level you go for it. It's not often players like that switch teams.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

That’s my hesitation - plus no one knows if Kawhi would re-sign in Boston, and making that trade for one year of Kawhi is a bad deal.

That's why the GM tries to get a guarantee from the player before pulling the trigger. If I was the Mavs GM I'd at least consider DSJ +Powell and draft pick from a non-18 draft or 18 draft pick + Powell+ future first round pick for Leonard if he agreed to stay in Dallas.

Spite posted:

My point was 2 long switchy defenders are better than one, especially when you are trying to design your defense around having as many long switchy defenders as possible.
I get that but I believe Kawhi + random less developed long switchy player (like Melvin Frazier in the upcoming draft) is a much better long term move. Assuming Kawhi would stay there. After all Brad Stevens will just coach up the new long switchy guy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

Jeff Green sucks. And Chris Wallace sucks for giving up a first for him. He’s terrible

It feels like it's been a million years ago since Jeff Green was one of the up and coming young Thunder players.

Away all Goats posted:

I'd be wary of making any trades with Boston after seeing how former celtics players play under someone not named Brad Stevens.

I think the exception is Olynyk and maybe Amir Johnson?

Dwight Powell dawg

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 17, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rick posted:

The Lakers played .500 ball after January despite a ton of injuries and basically deciding to heavily feature the South Bay Lakers during April. Ingram took a pretty nice step forward, Kuzma bounced back from hitting the rookie wall pretty hard and finished the season strong. Julius Randle was a monster and averaged 20/9 after the ASB. Even Josh Hart is even contributing is looking like a nice glue roleplayer.

So yeah because the West is the West and there are 10 teams that are potential playoff teams, being .500 isn't enough. Replacing KCP with Kawhi (even if it meant they lost one of their good young players to make the trade) would certainly make the Lakers an 11th team and would jump them ahead of the Clippers at least and you shoudln't be slotting them next to the Suns who at this point just isn't fair.

Do you think the Lakers will keep Randle? I assume the decision will be based on their chances of getting free agents but haven't read any rumors on this.

RaySmuckles posted:

who are the lakers giving up to get kawhi in this situation?

Sign and trade Randle for Kawhi instead of keeping him in that situation and try to sign Noel for ultra cheap.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

there was an somewhat interesting article from ~~the ringer~~ (i think) about the supermax and how its basically never been used by a small market team, nor ever will be because 35% of the cap is simply too limiting to teams.

does anyone have any ideas on a better system for dispersing superstars, keeping talent local, and preventing teams with more money from happily paying the tax? just wondering. i know i've heard things like no max/hard cap and things like that.

Allow every team one contract that does not count against the salary cap and has no limits on amounts that can be offered.

Maybe some guys might still think about teaming up but it'd be hard if a team is offering you $50 million a year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

This year's Bucks team is a great example of why coaching matters more than many think. With a good coach they wouldn't be in such a bad situation after two games.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's time for the spurs to pull out the big guns and ask tim duncan to host a lan party. if Tony is invited don't invite any of the players' spouses
ftfy

RaySmuckles posted:

i mean, gay just spent a bunch of time in sacramento. maybe he's leaking to a trusted source. maybe its on pop's orders in order to promote my conspiracy of giving the fan base time to anticipate his leaving so its not so devastating. people think pop put manu and parker up to the player's meeting and media comments. it was jackson, a former spur, who said that i believe.

i also don't really think that source is very credible. but we're really in uncharted territory for the spurs
lol, first it was WOJ just makes up stories because the mean ole' spurs won't leak any info to him. Now the sacbee is fake news. Next the offseason trade announcement will be lies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Time for Rondo to miss the rest of the playoffs with an injury????

He doesn't want to quit in the playoffs this year because this is his last chance to get a new contract before he slows down.

Intruder posted:

The Warriors are going to cakewalk to the WCF lol

Don't they usually make the Finals by playing only unhealthy teams?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Blind Pineapple posted:

It's unfortunate that Steph is going to be back in time to keep the Pelicans from making a series with the Warriors competitive.

Excited to revisit the Steph is hurt when they lose/Step is healthy when they win narrative.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

This season Dirk had 4.8 winshares and Melo had 3.7. Who has more next season?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NotWearingPants posted:

But if Paul George, Kawhi and Lebron all want to go to the Lakers, who do they tell "no"?

Paul George.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kibner posted:

Me to all the haters:

David West has the least deserved rep for being hard of players in recent history. He boxes! Also, he touched a Dirk's face. Very tough

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Akbar posted:

Where is this hot rear end take coming from?

An example of a player that deserved his rep for being hard is Jerry Stackhouse. Dude beat up a player in the hallway because he made him mad in a game.

also I have a very painful cyst on my face and likely have finals stress. I've never had a stress cyst, not fun.

The Stackhouse Snyder fight was a 1 game suspension. I can't imagine how many games a player would get suspended for now if something like that happened. The closet thing I can think of from this season is the Chris Paul secret tunnel into the Clippers locker room situation.

Also, I missed the last Sixers Heat game but man has that series been physical. Having teams that hate each other in a playoff series owns. Did they have issues with each other or is it just playoffs?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 20, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tae posted:

This Cavs/Pacers series is just the longest grudge held when the Cavs picked Bennett over Dipo

The funniest part about that is allegedly Gilbert wanted them to draft Dipo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

So no one told you life was going to be this way.
https://twitter.com/SInow/status/987915938686291968

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

"Professional athletes smoke weed. Indeed, the overwhelming majority of them do, according to new player estimates. Some even smoke before games.

"All of my best games, I was medicated," says Matt Barnes"
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771410-athletes-smoke-weed-interviews-nba-nfl-420

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I think one of my pet peeves about the Utah Jazz home crowd is the large number of people putting jerseys on over dress shirts and polos. Glad to see Romney wanted to fit in

Bobby Digital posted:

A politician pandering well I never

This guy gets it. Notice Romney wasn't at a game until he suddenly had to be in a primary for the Utah Senate seat. That was probably the best way to make sure almost every voter in Utah sees him on tv. Lol that he wore a Romney jersey.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Simmons, Baynes, Jingles, Mills, Delly, Exum, and Maker all still going, has the makings of a good national squad for next year, and then Tokyo 2020

Just remember because FIBA decided to change qualifying to be during the NBA season none of those guys will be available for those games.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

The top 7 finishers at the FIBA world cup, next held in 2019, get automatic qualification for the Olympics for the first time in 2020, p. sure we can manage to do that

Nice, the Olympic tournament will be much better with Australia.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

gently caress...

when I become a famous athlete I'm totally giving up social media

Just pay a professional to do it and never look at the account.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

This has probably been the best first round ever

It's been extremely entertaining but 2014 had 5 different game 7s. Got to see how this finishes out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Didn't that series go to overtime in like 5 games or something?

That was the outright best individual first round series I can remember watching. So many OTs.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

How many triple doubles did Westbrook have last year? When I heard he only had like 21 this season it made averaging a triple double over the season seem less cool.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Blockchain is a really bad way for computers to yell numberwang at each other and the instant someone mentions it without disdain you can ignore them

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/989324740828581888

Did anyone ever figure out what his other 2 playoff buzzer beaters were?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

This one is much funnier than the previous episode.
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/989610071280771075

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 26, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Someone close to Melo needs to sit down and give him a reality check.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If this was the 03 rookie class, Simmons would be the LeBron and Mitchell would be the Melo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

lol what the heck

Simmons with a LeBron jr style of game and Mitchell being the high scorer on a playoff team. It's a very lazy analogy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I love how Sonics fans were so concerned about the welfare of the city of Sacramento in taking on a terrible arena deal. Some poster who I don't remember even replying too ever tried to call me out in the Intel CPU thread of all places about him being right about the deal being a city killer like he said it would be. He linked to an article he didn't even read that had a title about how the city was missing out on huge benefits from the arena as proof, but all the article was about how the city wasn't fully utilizing their free use of the arena for a certain number of events each year and why weren't they using it for things like police graduations.

Lol at fans of a stolen team getting that passive over not being able to steal someone else's team.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

If you are under the impression that the Warriors haven't been coasting to this point that's fine but I don't agree with you, no need to get so pissy about it

I think it's less the Warriors coasting and more they had injury issues throughout the regular season. Personally I think the Rockets are a real threat to them and shouldn't be dismissed so quickly. Will be interesting to see the series to see if this is true or not.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

clint capela is valuable but a garbage bucket geter and good defender is not comparable to an elite 3pt shooter/shot creator and whatever superlatives you want to bring up for draymond green

I don't think I'd call .301 from three elite 3 point shooting. Green is a good player but would he be an all star if he was the best player on a team? I'd lean towards no. Capela wouldn't be either but he is also a good player. They fill different valuable roles for their teams. Still the Rockets trio are top 12 in winshares or top 10 in the lesser ws per 48 stat. This should probably not be ignored.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 30, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Think the elite 3 point shooting part was referring to Klay and he just didn't have words to properly describe Draymond's value without puking

IcePhoenix posted:

that line wasn't the same person, it's Klay (elite 3p) and Dray ("whatever superlatives")

My bad, that makes much more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I did not realize Hibbert was unable to make a roster this season. It seems like just yesterday he was trying to get FIBA clearance to leave Team Jamaica to join Team USA.

How is he not good enough to have Perk's spot on the Cavs' roster?

• Locked thread