Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Spacebump posted:

What happened in the Cavs game? didn't get to watch.

both teams played hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

0-1-2 sounds suspiciously like counting to 3

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlp9n31j3zI

this man knows how to dress

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

are the cops going to come by and fingerprint the ribs afterward or something

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Rick posted:

Shaq had so many mean dunks on Sabonis.

Shaq dunked on Ostertag so hard that Ostertag had to go to therapy

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

The Miami Heat are both a singular and a plural

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

The B_36 posted:

Those look pretty sweet and all, but why would you wear open-toed footwear like that in an airport? At some point you've gotta get on the plane, then you're that guy with the smelly gross feet with sandals, jam packed with a hundred other people in a small cylindrical tube for 5 hours.

They're called SOCKS DUH

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hello, yes, it's true I don't know where you are, who you are, or any of that trivial poo poo all the time. I'm pretty sure I'm ok with that.

:owned:

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

The Warriors made fewer points in the paint because they were fouled effectively???

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Two Tone Shoes posted:

This could be a point you could make unless you watched the game.

If you think Jrue and AD both were never fouled, a single time, on any of their many shot attempts then I don't know what to say to you. You have your story you want to tell, I guess.

The only story I'd tell would be: if referees have the ability to influence games to the extent that they can make the end result a foregone conclusion, then there is no point to watching professional basketball if the end result is important to you

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Rabid Snake posted:

Lol at the warrior haters after the foul display of the rockets today.

Enjoy watching CP3 and Harden flop. They won’t make it to the finals but lol at watching this garbage

Lmao. Let Harden shoulder check Jingles for a 2 point foul play.

Enjoy bad basketball.

OK I will. Thanks

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

AggressivelyStupid posted:

If y'all can't get in and out of ikea in under ten minutes you need to step your game up

My ideal Sunday with my mom went: Ikea, In-N-Out, the mega RV store to try out every dual rocking chair / rocking ottoman combo on every RV + extra time in all the Airstreams.

What the hell is the matter with you.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

chunkles posted:

holy fuckin gerald green without braids

drat

that's fresh

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Klay Thompson's income comes from more places than his NBA contract and that other portion is dependent on his being on GS

Also that other portion is also dependent on the other GS superstars also staying on GS

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Ghost Dog posted:

none of the raptors took paycuts. the only team that kinda did was the heat but those were small and were just to originally form the team. bosh took the money and dwade left the team over not getting the most he could. no ones ever just left 10m+ a year on the table to save an owner luxury tax bills before. so yeah, it doesnt apply to this unheard of situation
There is a point at which the luxury repeater tax makes an NBA team's payroll unaffordable. How close would GS be to that point if all of their players were paid what they were worth, within the limits of the CBA, with the luxury repeater tax fully locked in?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He's making Chocolate Milk money
He's making 80 million off of Chinese shoes - does he get that deal if he isn't on GS?

What is the value of stats inflated by being on a team that makes it easier for you to play? What is the value of having teammates you can dump off to who can make shots at a high clip, or can guard your assignment on a switch, or can create easy looks for you and everybody else?

Have you ever played pick-up ball on a stacked team, playing loose and easy basketball, and run the court all night? Other than if you were playing the same 5 opponents and running it back over and over, would you at any point think "This isn't fun - we'd better break this squad up"?

An NBA career is very time-dependent. What is the value of an NBA championship?

Would you rather be Carmelo Anthony or Klay Thompson?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Ghost Dog posted:

none of that is rational its based on the premise that billionaires dont have a lot of money and uhhhhhhhhhh

Those billionaires got where they are because most of them are psychopaths. They'd be first against the wall in any world I'd rather live in but in this lovely Biff world, if Klay insists on being paid more in NBA dollars, he will - only he's going to do it on a different team.

It might not be defensible to you or me if we agree to the premise that the NBA player's union is equivalent to any other labor union, but if it is to Klay then what I wrote is more or less the mental gymnastics he's likely making.

I'd rather there be a cap on income for every individual everywhere with the rest marginally taxed at 90% or more, re-distributed through some sort of communist or syndicalist structure, coupled with the sorts of re-education and re-programming necessary for Full Roddenberry Post-Scarcity Gay Space Communism, but I'd rather keep evilweasel in D&D and playing EVE or whatever, where he belongs

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Dexo posted:

It's his life, he can do what he wants and If it it's the only way for him to stay in GSW and he wants to stay then sure.

Klay Thompson serves as an uncomfortable reminder that there is no organized left, labor has lost utterly, capital has won utterly, and even winners of the genetic lottery must twist through pretzels to justify their quality-of-life rationalizations, because none of us are paid what we are worth, nor will we ever be, and the world is a miasma of vileness and suffering, and it absolutely does not have to be this way, but it will be anyway

Go Lakers!

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Quizzlefish posted:

So if these kinda players can make a team that should be medium good into a really good team, then that should (in theory) mean that in the next draft everyone should be drafting switchy shooters. Is it just that these players are rare? Or is it that this is a new market inefficiency and people haven't realised yet?

the NBA finally discovered Maneuver Warfare and the OODA loop

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

MourningView posted:

Shaq putting his dick in the face of Chris Dudley and then shoving him into the third row in one smooth motion is the most disrespectful dunk. All Dudley could do was jump up, impotently throw the ball at him like a child, and play the hold me back game

Who cares about Dudley though, who was goofy and white and already not much compared to Shaq - that dunk was a little bit like a bully beating up on a kid with cerebral palsy. Pippen was the smaller guy and Ewing was actually good so it's a mightier teabag

For some reason though I tend to want to re-watch the Shaq-on-Dudley dunk more times in a row. I think this is because I am a bad person

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

MourningView posted:

That's why it's great! No reason to go out of your way to clown loving Chris Dudley of all people and yet he immortalized him anyway just for fun. The very definition of disrespectful

That's showing disrespect to basic human decency. I was thinking more "disrespectful to the guy himself" which needs a non-Dudley

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

soggybagel posted:

Its obscene how bad Reggie Miller is at announcing. And anytime he tries to sound "cool" he ends up sounding like a 87 year old man.

There was a GDT post where I praised the announcers I was hearing on some reddit stream and you thought I was praising Reggie Miller but I had some weird feed and I wish I knew who they were, they were so enthusiastic about all of the good basketball on both sides of the floor and it was infectious to hear them get excited. That being said I find Miller almost completely forgettable which I guess means I'm lucky? At this point Toronto's announcers (whom I discovered accidentally), C Webb, and Joel Meyers are the only ones I actually like

Oh & Golden State's are easily the worst in the league. I've kinda followed them since Nellie Ball days - they were never rivals like the Kings - and now that streams are everywhere I was excited to be able to listen to home court. I have to mute it, it's so godawful

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

I was watching this pretty decent, short piece about Standing Rock and when Veterans for Peace showed up some cop mucky muck said in a press conference that the protesters were taking advantage of the PTSD of our venerated veterans and that the protesters were creating a very dangerous situation. Because of all the PTSD.

A) The police are stupid for thinking this makes any sense
Aa) People who now populate every police force are the sorts of morons who would attempt such blatantly dipshit spin control
B) Plenty of people willingly believe it
C) There are an incredibly large amount of insanely stupid people on this planet
D) We are hosed forever
E) Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals tomorrow hopefully will be as good as Game 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Kibner posted:

I tend to log off if I get that angry. I've only gotten that "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" mad a handful of times in my life. One time was in either college or high school and my mom and/or brother did a series of things over the course of a couple weeks and I snapped. Left their house and got in my car and just started yelling. My then-GF was with me and got really scared and scooted away as far as she could until a few minutes after I calmed down.

That hurt me, and I haven't gotten that angry since. Went back to using a lot of the techniques my therapist from when I was in elementary and middle school taught me to deal with my parents' divorce and then my dad's death in addition to just more daily reflection.

You probably haven't had anything truly bad happen to you because the world has way way more stuff that'll bum you out than make you mad, that also makes getting mad a laughable luxury by comparison

Maybe that's just a temperament thing or maybe you've never walked in on a ten year-old kid who's been hanging from a light fixture by their neck for a couple days

Or maybe you've never had your team up 3-1 in an NBA Finals only to lose to the GOAT

• Locked thread