Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

There's a muffled thud from the southwest tower, and you can hear the sound of running feet. Nothing's properly in view yet, though. Faintly, from inside the manor house itself, you can hear some yelling in Goblin--those who can speak it say it sounds like "What the gently caress is going on out there?"

The heavily-wounded humanoid staggers across the courtyard toward the main manor, left in the dust by his buddy, who easily reaches the interior wall--handy cover from your bows unless you move up to the edge of the tile roof and shoot down.

The raven caws twice mockingly, ruffles its wings, and steps to the right on the tower wall a few feet.

End of the round, since there's no melee or spells at this point. Please declare spells for next round, if any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

nvm, need to roll init first again.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde


Start of round 2

The creatures shake off their initial indecision at your appearance, and some barking growls come from the door to the southwest tower, across the courtyard. The creatures you fired at, covering in the angle of one of the towers, respond angrily. The door on the tower is pushed open slightly, and a gauntlet-clad hand sticks out and makes an obscene gestures.

The raven preens a bit, keeping one beady eye on you at all times.

Jerol and Meredith can see into what looks like a smithy just north of the southwest tower. A goblin is visible, intently watching some short iron bars as they heat in the furnace. He seems to be paying no attention to either you or the howling going on behind him.

OK, no missile fire or spells coming your way. The two you were shooting at are in cover from everyone up on the hill right now; the only target visible is the raven. You'll need to move if you want to get an angle on them again.

A - Odrot
B - Benedict
C - Elonron
D - Cricket
E - Kark
F - Ash
G - Aelf
H - Jerol
I - Meredith

1 - "Left" humanoid
2 - "Right" humanoid
3 - Goblin smith

Star - Raven

megane
Jun 20, 2008



Meredith

Meredith stares quizzically at the goblin smith. Somehow she feels almost a little insulted; if she's going to put forth the effort to invade his lair he should at least have the decency to panic a little bit. She heads in his direction and drops down onto the roof of the smithy, awkwardly leaning against the wall to keep from getting too close to the smokestack. "Hey, uh... all of you in there! What are you waiting for?" she calls down. Er, that sounded cooler in her head.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

"Dangit, Griffith. I'll tell you h'what, that's a Behelit!"


Doctor Rope

Elonron Figglewort
HP: 4/4 Ammo: 19/20 Spell: Protection from Evil

"The beasties think cover will protect them from the wrath of Figglewort?! Aiyaaaahhh!"

Elonron scurries to the edge of the hill and takes the rope down onto the roof, preparing to barrage the gnolls below.

I move onto the roof using the rope and grapple that are already in place - but if I misremembered that, I'll jump

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ash Watcher
HP 6/6, Arrows 78/80, AC 11, Save 14 (+2 on rolls vs spells), Spells Memorized: Sleepx1, Arrows shot 2

"drat! Those monsters move fast! I can't see them anymore." Ash sprinted further East trying to get a good angle. "Hey. You uh, you guys know if those things can understand us?"

Move as far East as I can. Intent is to get far enough to be able to shoot around the corner. I don't think I can move so far that I can't see them anymore, but if I can, please stop just before that becomes a problem.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette


Benedict
arrows 16/20

Moving around to position, Benedict whispers a prayer and looses his arrows at the gnolls.



Moving where I can get line of sight to a target. Rolled a 2 and a 15. The 15 does 4 damage if it hits.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cricket
5/5 HP, AC 11, 15 ST (+2 vs pois/prlz.),18/20 Arrows


Cricket moves around to try and find a position where he can get a shot on the humanoids again, should he find one he goes about trying to shoot the injured one again.

Move into position to get a shot. If I can move and shoot then do so. In which case it would have been a 9 and 3 to hit and I would be down 2 more arrows.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Jerol Cairnwalker

"Tis insulting the lack of concern." Jerol looks for a loose roof tile that he can throw. " Once everyone is on the roof, the archers and spellcasters can cover us, and we can drop into the courtyard. "

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

Once Meredith and Jerol drop down onto the lower roof, they can see the arrow slits in the second floor of the manor building and on the tower behind them.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has seen my browser history.


Odrot

Odrot continues to watch the hill behind the rest of the group, but after hearing all the noise the party is making on the roof of the manor grumbles, "I think we should all get down on the roof and get this over with."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Kark of Uzbackistein

"Did anyone else see that? No?" Kark mumbles to himself as he reloads his sling and fires another shot at the demon-eyed bird. This shot doesn't come anywhere near his target, bouncing off of roof tiles before stopping at the edge of the tower.

Rolled an 8 to hit the bird

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

You can't see me at all...


Aelf

Aelf follows Meredith, dropping down silently behind her and hoping that between her intimidating presence and the smoke, he'll be able to remain unseen. Or at least unnoticed. Or seen as some sort of lesser importance. How else do you slip a knife into someone's back?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

"Dangit, Griffith. I'll tell you h'what, that's a Behelit!"


Doctor Rope

Elonron Figglewort
HP: 4/4 Ammo: 19/20 Spell: Protection from Evil

Once he had climbed down onto the roof, Elonron scurried to the parapet just left of the gnolls below.

Deftly, he socketed a stone into his sling and took aim hoping that his attack would meet its mark with the same finesse.

movement round

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde


Start of round three

The two creatures at the base of the tower--one still heavily wounded, glare up at Elonron and the others on the cliff. The goblin smith mutters something to himself and moves a bit deeper into the smithy; you can hear the sound of a hammer striking metal from inside.

You've won intiative; movement or missile fire is next.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

"Dangit, Griffith. I'll tell you h'what, that's a Behelit!"


Doctor Rope

Elonron Figglewort
HP: 4/4 Ammo: 18/20 Spell: Protection from Evil

Elonron loosed the stone from his sling, but did so erratically.

6 in disc.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ash Watcher
HP 6/6, Arrows 76/80, AC 11, Save 14 (+2 on rolls vs spells), Spells Memorized: Sleepx1, Arrows shot 4

"Leave the bird alone! Everyone knows that ravens are favored companions of Elven mages!" Ash shouted angrily at Kark while shooting at the wounded gnoll. Distracted, his first arrow went wide. After that he shut up and concentrated so his second arrow found it's mark.

3rd round, shoot at wounded gnoll = (1)+1 = 2, (18)+1 = 19, 1d6 = (3) = 3 damage.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette


Benedict
arrows 16/20

With one suspicious eye on the bird, Benedict continues to fire on the obvious threat: evil humanoids. He places a volley of arrows firmly on-target.


I dont think I could both move and shoot last round, so still at 16 arrows after this volley.

[7:12 AM] BOTSidekick: @Ritorix: 1d20+1 first shot vs gnoll2 = (19)+1 = 20
[7:12 AM] BOTSidekick: @Ritorix: 1d6 1st = (1) = 1 damage
[7:12 AM] BOTSidekick: @Ritorix: 1d20+1 second shot vs gnoll2 = (18)+1 = 19
[7:12 AM] BOTSidekick: @Ritorix: 1d6 2nd hit = (4) = 4 damage

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Jerol Cairnwalker

Continues to follow Meredith, looking for something to get in range of.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

Ash's shot catches the wounded humanoid in the throat, and it goes down with a gurgle. Benedict's shafts fly true, thudding into the torso of the second humanoid. It barks something that sounds like a curse and shakes its axe up at the archers on the cliff.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cricket
5/5 HP, AC 11, 15 ST (+2 vs pois/prlz.),16/20 Arrows


Cricket lines up his shots upon the one remaining humanoid. The first fails to connect, but the second strikes true. A tremendous shot.

Fire 2 arrows, one hits.
SidekickBOT - Today at 10:11 AM @Ryuujin: 1d20+1 first shot vs gnoll2 = (4)+1 = 5
SidekickBOT - Today at 10:11 AM @Ryuujin: 1d20+1 second shot vs gnoll2 = (19)+1 = 20
SidekickBOT - Today at 10:12 AM @Ryuujin: 1d6 damage of 2nd arrow = (6) = 6

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Kark of Uzbackistein

"Right, fine, ignoring the demon bird..." Kark mumbles as he moves around to get a better view of the courtyard.
Moving to the rightmost corner of the wall

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2018 around 20:01

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has seen my browser history.


Odrot

Odrot decides no threat is coming over the hill and takes the rope down onto the roof. He then shuffles along the roof and stops when he reaches the edge of the roof directly above Meredith and Aelf. He draws his shield in case of missile fire.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde


Round 3, after movement & missile - arrow next to H indicates he's still on the roof of the smithy.

The two humanoids that had been on the gate drop under the hail of arrows pouring into them from on top of the cliff. Meredith and Aelf drop down from the smithy roof, peering into the dim space. The smith glances up at the two of you, but returns his attention to the white-hot piece of metal in his tongs, bringing the hammer down with a clang that echoes through the courtyard.

This mixes with the sound of the door on the southwest tower banging open and two more of the humanoids charging at the pair, howling a cry and clashing their axes on the front of their shields as they come.

Jerol, up on the smithy roof, notices that the main doors to the manor are swinging shut.

Two more of the same kind of humanoid--up close it's obvious they're gnolls (if it wasn't already). Melee time!

megane
Jun 20, 2008



Meredith

Meredith shakes her sword cheerfully at the approaching gnolls. "Now that's more like it! Take thi-" She lashes out with a furious downstroke... and cuts nothing but air, completely misjudging how close the gnoll was. "Uhhhh. Uh, yeah! Take that, dogboy, you'd better watch out! Er." She glances at Aelf behind her -- he didn't see that, right? -- and raises her shield.

Rolled a 1+2 in discord

megane fucked around with this message at Apr 21, 2018 around 03:11

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

You can't see me at all...


Aelf

Pretending not to see Meredith miss, Aelf aims his long sword at the gnoll and takes a swing himself, shield at the ready for the exchange of blows to begin. He offers his companion a friendly smile in passing, offering some encouragement for her next parlay.

@TophBeiFong: 1d20+1 Gnoll bashing = (13)+1 = 14
@TophBeiFong: 1d8 Gnoll Damage? = (2) = 2

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

The gnolls, barking their laughs, slam into Meredith and Aelf. Their axe blows glance off the pair of shields, though, as their initial charge is pushed back.

The goblin smith pauses his hammering as the gnolls attack, shifting around so he can view the melee. He barks "hey, keep it out of here!" in Goblin.

Back to the next round! Declare spells, please!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Jerol Cairnwalker

Jerol will drop down off the roof and join the melee.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

The familiar sound of arrows slicing through the air heralds the barrage from the arrow slits to the right of the manor doors. A pair of arrows from each, in fact. One lodges in Aelf's upper back (3 points of damage) while the others embed themselves in the ground underneath the two combatants. Some cursing in Goblin can be heard from the arrow slits, though it's hard to make out the archers (-2 to try and hit them).

The manor doors close with a crash, causing a patter of dust and debris to shake loose from the eaves.

Movement and missile fire, please. Elonron's is already rolled, go ahead and post.

Note that when firing into melee, the actual target is randomized among those combatants near your intended target.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

"Dangit, Griffith. I'll tell you h'what, that's a Behelit!"


Doctor Rope

Elonron Figglewort
HP: 4/4 Ammo: 17/20 Spell: Protection from Evil

Elonron saw the melee heating up and thought to offer ranged support to his allies.

He loosed another stone, this time at a moving target within a small bedlam.

7 in disc

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2018 around 17:49

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Cricket
5/5 HP, AC 11, 15 ST (+2 vs pois/prlz.),16/20 Arrows


Cricket doesn't have a good shot on the arrowslits, and certainly doesn't want to hit his companions by wildly firing into melee, so he moves back toward the smithy.

Going to try and get back to the smithy roof so I can hopefully get a shot next round.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Kark of Uzbackistein

"Root canal! Those idiots gave up the high ground and got in the way!" Kark curses as he hurriedly follows Cricket towards the smithy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ash Watcher
HP 6/6, Arrows 76/80, AC 11, Save 14 (+2 on rolls vs spells), Spells Memorized: Sleepx1, Arrows shot 4

Ash followed Cricket and Kark. "Well, our part of the plan is going great."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette


Benedict
arrows 16/20

Tucking his bow behind his back, Benedict carefully climbs down to ground level. With his sword and shield at the ready, he prepares to move into melee with his companions.


Going to get down from the high ground and move as close as I can get in a round.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has seen my browser history.


Odrot
HP 16/16, AC 15, Save 14 (+4 vs Spells)

Odrot watches an arrow embed itself into Aelf's back and grimaces. He then frowns and jumps down to join his companions in the melee.

(You said it's a 20 foot drop? I'm on the edge of the roof, so if that's too far I'll jump down to where Jerol was before the round started.)

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

The gnolls press Meredith and Aelf, swinging their axes with powerful overhand strokes, but can't manage to sure a telling blow on either.

Odrot grunts, dropping from the main roof into the smithy roof and then down onto the ground in the courtyard just behind Aelf. The others hustle across the roof, vaulting down of the cliff and scrambling across the tiles.

Melee attacks for Meredith and Aelf if desired. Odrot can engage next round if he wishes. Those seeking to get into the smithy roof are crowded together just in the corner. The others are at the edge of the main roof just above the smithy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008



Meredith

The gnoll leaves a deep scratch on Meredith's shield, but she slides back, letting it overextend, and then buries her sword to the hilt in its left side. She shouts in triumph as it collapses in a furry heap.

@megane: 1d20 meredith sword attempt number 2 = (18) = 18

@megane: 1d8+3 damage to gnoll = (8)+3 = 11

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

You can't see me at all...


Aelf

@TophBeiFong: 1d20+1 swing at gnoll = (8)+1 = 9

Noticing those archery slits, Aelf's attacks become a bit more hesitant and his shield work a bit more cautious. Swing and a miss.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Jerol Cairnwalker

Excited to finally be able to attack, Jerol steps just a hair too far to the left as he swipes his sword at the gnoll. He can hear the gnoll chuckle as the blade goes wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard


Slippery Tilde

Round 4


There's the muffled sound of yelling in what sounds like goblin from inside the manor house, though even the goblin-speakers can't make out what's being said. The gnoll is looking pretty nervous as more and more mean-looking types drop off the roof and its comrades drop. It barks a loud, questioning yelp at the manor, though no answer is immediately forthcoming.

Declare spells, please!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply