Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My only experience with this has been on the buying side at salvage auctions. If the car was recovered after insurance paid for it, and the owners had already replaced it, it would go through the salvage auction often with a salvage title. Especially if it was stripped and the price of replacement parts were high enough to total it out. Ever priced a full interior from the factory?

It also used to be a common scam for a shady shop to steal a car, strip the interior and wheels, and put them in storage. Then they'd wait a month and abandon it somewhere conspicuous so it got picked up. It'd go through the salvage auction and the shop would buy the car and put the parts back on it and sell it. Kind of like laundering money. But just like any other "easy" crime, it became a pattern that was super easy to spot and is much less common now.

This car may have gone through either of those processes. It may have been in a lovely neighborhood where it was easily stolen for a while. Does the NICB status mean that it has never been stolen or just that it is not currently listed as stolen? I'm guessing the latter.

With those records the car probably should be decently discounted. If not I'd just keep shopping for a car with less drama.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread