Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I think you should drop your March transactions into YNAB and see how things look. Why put it off a month. You can get more granular (eg grocery/household/alcohol/toiletries vs "supermarket" or something) with realtime category tagging, but you should have a high level idea of what the expenses were from the store alone.

It seems like you probably need to:
* Adjust lifestyle slightly, being you spend more than you make
* cash out your Publix stock (maybe wait til 5/1, after the dividend pays out)
* set aside 15% of the gain for taxes
* and do a balance transfer for the left over, and pay it off ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Raldikuk posted:

You need better than wild rear end guesses because there is no way that box + the accessories mentioned should have cost anywhere near $2,000 unless that cost has been collecting credit card interest for many years now.
You sure? $500 video card, $1-200 in RAM (beats me on specs), $3-400 in processor, a couple hundred in mobo... Drives can add up quick, too.

Raldikuk posted:

YNAB or similar will definitely help you here so it is good that you're starting to keep better track of what you spend. Doing that will be helpful in general so you know where your money is going and can then start to set realistic goals to ratchet down your expenses. Being able to live well below your means will help later in life too when you're on a fixed income.
Agreed. I'd even say its time to load March transactions and see what the average spend is.

Raldikuk posted:

At $37k/year now, you probably can find a job that pays comparable with a lot better future prospects without trying too hard. I would definitely put that towards the top of your to-do list. Track your money, pay down the credit card debt, expand the emergency savings, and put out your resume to every employer you can think of that isn't in the newspaper industry (also avoid other dying industries).
Bigly yes.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Raldikuk posted:

Can vary a lot, but that processor had a MSRP of around $200 in 2012. In 2015 I built an i7 4790k system from scratch, with 10 series card, 1080p monitor, big ssd, etc for around $1,000.
Ah, I only looked up the processor cost on CCC, which is where I found $3-400 - I was only looking at the last year, not 5yrs ago, you're much closer on historical price than I.

Raldikuk posted:

That is more concerning to me because it shows the lack of being able to even reliably track where money is being spent.
I think this is the key part: knowing where the money is going. 9k in debt doesn't come from living within your means, and usually means money was spent without tracking anything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My man. Sounds good. Right now is a good season to sell a bike so if you're serious about doing it you'll get best dollar now.
Truth, doubly so because of tax refunds and spring!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Beach Bum posted:

I had to file an extension because the IRS still hasn't (EDIT: hadn't) gotten the new mortgage insurance premium deduction form out :argh:

I don't get refunds anyhow, I usually write a small check.

EDIT2: I have an extension but I did just see they've issued an updated 1098. Finally. I can polish this turd and send it off now.
Not you getting a refund, the buyers. Selling vehicles for a couple grand in late winter/early spring is always the best, as buyers have more cash in hand. Source: My buddy flips cars in the spring for profits.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I'm so confused by your bank issue. And insurance.

For the bank, get with a credit union. Screw banks.

For insurance, I thought everyone pays semi annually, it saves a massive amount..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

No Butt Stuff posted:

Open a bank account at a local credit union to deposit your cash and then transfer it to usaa. Or buy money orders and mobile deposit them.
This.

I do cash deposits at random CU ATM's, I haven't been to a branch for years. Works the same for my local CU and online only CU, pretty easy!

• Locked thread