Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
ive been thanking sega my entire life and very little could get me to stop now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xbox Ambassador posted:

They need to announce Hokuto Yakuza for NA. Now!!! Or I will cancel my thank you to Sega

I really think FotNS and 3-5 remaster announcements are coming really soon, they keep hinting that they've had a lot of success in the west. Ishin is probably a pipe dream but I'm still hoping

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm holding off on 6 until Kiwami 2 and 3-5 HD come out in the US so I can play in order. I hope I don't have to wait too long

Me too but I can only pray that my willpower holds out and I don’t crave more Yakuza so bad that I crack :pray:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Xbox Ambassador posted:

They need to announce Hokuto Yakuza for NA. Now!!! Or I will cancel my thank you to Sega

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Me too but I can only pray that my willpower holds out and I don’t crave more Yakuza so bad that I crack :pray:

Yeah me too, I tried playing other games after I beat 0 but I couldn't resist Kiwami

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fungah! posted:

played some more kiwami 1 last night and man, i dont get the people complaining that the writing isnt as good. its a little darker and less melodramatic maybe but its still really good and effective, especially when you consider it's a freakin ps2 game lois. although tbh the nishiki scenes they added are still an order of magnitude better

It’s a bit more...basic than 0 on most levels but back when it first came out the writing must have been incredible.

0 is just total fun end to end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The writing in 1 was awesome bc mark Hamill played kiryu in the only dub they ever did

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

The writing in 1 was awesome bc mark Hamill played kiryu in the only dub they ever did

lmao that pwns

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

He played Majima

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The dub kinda sucks but Hamill is pretty good as Majima, though it's weird to hear him curse and use Japanese honorifics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaXXG0cNMVc

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I was expecting it to have more of his Joker voice in there, but it doesn't really have that and it's better for it. Does it show up later on?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fumaofthelake posted:

I was expecting it to have more of his Joker voice in there, but it doesn't really have that and it's better for it. Does it show up later on?

I don’t know, I’ve only watched some cutscenes and haven’t played the original. I think In Training has

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
playing 6 and is Kiryu really about to steal a drat baby? lmfao

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Fungah! posted:

played some more kiwami 1 last night and man, i dont get the people complaining that the writing isnt as good. its a little darker and less melodramatic maybe but its still really good and effective, especially when you consider it's a freakin ps2 game lois. although tbh the nishiki scenes they added are still an order of magnitude better

The main plot is on par with the other games I thought. The side stories were weaker than later games tho because the original game took itself more seriously

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan posted:

playing 6 and is Kiryu really about to steal a drat baby? lmfao

omg

edit: that fight at the end of chapter 2 in the nursery is one of the coolest setpieces i've ever seen . i kind of doubt it was possible to hurt the baby but i was sooooo careful to keep the fight as far away from that crib as possible lol

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 4, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

He played Majima

oops

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So far the best part of Yakuza 6 has been running around every single office/internet cafe/restaurant and trashing the place this way. Kiryu just doesn't have time for details like tables, sofas, book cases or palm trees standing in his way. The downside is that the clerks refuse to do business with me afterwards EXCEPT for the sex chat dungeon which doesn't mind the annihilation as long as the wi-fi is running I guess.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Xbox Ambassador posted:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Im pretty sure this is the most I have ever laughed during a video game. Kiryu is so dense and good-hearted.... I want Ciri to create a portal to Tokyo so he can team up with Geralt

edit: these loving sidequests in the second map are killing me . First the freaky friday thing and now the time traveler lmao

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My favorite side quests so far were Ono-michio or the reunion with Racer

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Just unlocked baseball. What the gently caress lol? I was not expecting this

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

goferchan posted:

edit: these loving sidequests in the second map are killing me . First the freaky friday thing and now the time traveler lmao

those sidestories are based on movies that were shot in the real city. so cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

julian assflange posted:

My favorite side quests so far were Ono-michio or the reunion with Racer

just did Oni-michio and all it did was make me think about GTAV having a $100 million dollar budget and how the highlight of the comedy writing in that game is a big billboard that says "JIZZ SODA" or whatever

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

just did Oni-michio and all it did was make me think about GTAV having a $100 million dollar budget and how the highlight of the comedy writing in that game is a big billboard that says "JIZZ SODA" or whatever

lol

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Rockstar's GTA writing is so bad. Red Dead and Bully are slightly better

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Lol

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Actually one of my favorite things is the sitcom style guitar bit (Like in 0)that plays when a new side quest unlocks.

Is the baseball worth it from an EXP perspective? I know gently caress all about baseball

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I’m going to make myself an Ono-michio av

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I don't remember what the rewards were for the baseball sim, so I can't tell you if it's worth it or not. But even if you don't know poo poo about the game, you can make it through just fine. I didn't know anything about baseball either, but eventually it clicked after I skimmed a guide in the Games Y6 thread. Don't have a link for you, sorry.

The biggest things (I think) are:

•the little blue, red, and green arrows next to your players indicate their morale or fatigue. The red upwards pointing arrow is good, the blue one is bad (if you don't have a player for a position in good shape, it's not the end of the world to field a tired player)

•get a lot of practice with the game's batting system. The game will occasionally let you control whoever's at bat in critical moments (usually when there are a couple runners on bases) and if you can get a home run or a double, your whole team's morale temporarily goes up. If you're not good at batting either, swing when the circle shrinks to the ball icon, try to remember what pitches the enemy is capable of (sliders go from side to side one space, fastballs stay in their space but arrive faster, etc.), and if you're not comfortable with a pitch, you have two more strikes before you're out. It's better to get to strikes and then get a solid hit than to sloppily wing the ball and watch it sail into an outfielder's glove.

•don't ignore the stats of your players. The three (four?) that are control power and something else are for batting only; the stats in the little baseball diamond are for field positions. So, Kiryu is labelled OF, meaning outfield, meaning you can stick him in one of the three spots in the outfield and he'll do well. You'll notice that the little squares the players' names appear in are colored from bronze to gold (platinum?); bronzes do pretty good at lower levels but don't have as much potential, while high rank guys (usually one's you find in substories) have a lot of potential if you invest level up tickets in them.

•Gorbov—or whatever his name is—is your best pitcher, but if you don't have him or in the unlikely event he gets tired (there's a counter under the little stick guy when he's pitching of how many good ones he has left in him) substitute someone else by pressing square. A good pitcher combined with appropriate field and base dudes helps keep enemy scores lower.

I did all the baseball stuff a couple of hours before bed, listening to podcasts and nursing beers. I found it kinda fun and relaxing in the end. I ignored it for a good while, which was a bad move because you need to play it a little to access the New Gaudi Snack Bar quests, if you don't already have that unlocked.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
do a good baseball on enemy team

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That was very informative, OP. Thank you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yes thank you OP that's super helpful. The game doesn't explain anything lol it's just a mess of icons with batting interludes occasionally

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I love the inter-asian racism in this game where the korean gangsters are all eye shadow wearing boy band haircut mincing homos. Can't wait to go meet some Chinese

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

I love the inter-asian racism in this game where the korean gangsters are all eye shadow wearing boy band haircut mincing homos. Can't wait to go meet some Chinese

There’s some primo Chinese racism in 0

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
A game where you execute Kpop fans would be the greatest game ever made

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Win.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

A game where you execute Kpop fans would be the greatest game ever made

They already made a suicide simulator

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thank You Sega

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hey baseball tip poster goon want to teach me how to play Mahjong? Im far too retarted to understand it from the 19 pages of in game rules. Seems like a good way to make some yen though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh boy.