Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

A couple years back, competitor & instructor Ernest Langdon was ready for a change. He was carrying a full-size Beretta M9A1 and wanted something closer to a Glock 19 in size while still being DA/SA. A Beretta 92 Compact was out because of the non-interchangeable front sight, lack of a G model, and 13 round capacity. Someone turned his attention to the PX4 Compact, part of Beretta's unloved line of DA/SA polymer duty pistols. Ernie's experimentation with the PX4 Compact is documented in this p-f thread.

The end result is the PX4 Compact Carry (also called the "Ernest Langdon Edition"). It's a PX4 Compact with the following upgrades/extras: competition trigger group, low-profile decocker-only safety levers, low-profile single-sided slide release lever, Ameriglo sights, Talon grips, and Cerakoted slide. In short, it's a carry gun made by and for pistol nerds.

I got a new job & a new house in a new state and decided to celebrate by spending some money on dumb stuff. Like ya do. I picked up this box from my local Cabela's this week:

In the shipping box, but not the pistol case itself, there's some Talon Grips.

Opening the pistol case:

Here's the non-gun hardware that comes in the box:

It comes with 3 magazines, which is nice. Every pistol class or shooting competition will require 3 mags at bare minimum. It's nice that they just give you that many to begin with, especially since mags for these are $30 at minimum.

Oh, you also get a coupon for 10% off a class with Ernie. That's pretty cool.

Then there's the gun itself:

The most obvious external difference is the stealth safety levers. I'm still pretty firmly in the "slide mounted controls are trash" camp, but these are about as inoffensive as slide mounted decockers can be. They're more or less flat to the slide. There's basically no chance to activate them by accident while overhanding the slide; I've actually tried to decock the gun that way in dryfire and I can't do it. They're probably too thin, actually. Decocking the gun one-handed is kind of a pain. Ernie posted recently that Beretta is releasing a middle-ground option that is big enough to activate easily. The slide release, while lower profile, is still very easy to activate.

The trigger is amazing. The DA is heavier than I'm used to (striker fired babby), but lighter than the stock PX4s I've handled. The SA trigger is unbelievably nice. It's almost on par with the trigger in my Les Baer, I poo poo you not.

Here's a look from behind to show how thin the levers are (with a bonus out-of-focus view of the sights):

Speaking of the sights, here's what the front sight looks like:

I'm a big fan of Ameriglo sights for carry. Ideally I'd like I-Dots so that I could have a dot on the rear sight but these are good too.

Taking the gun apart, we see this:

This is the thing everyone thinks of when they think of PX4s: that weird rotating barrel short-recoil system. It's supposed to make the gun recoil more softly. I'll have a better idea of that when I shoot it later today. All I know for now is that it makes the gun kinda weird to reassemble if you're used to the Browning action that every other gun has.

Finally, this is kinda cool:

The barrel is chrome lined! I don't think I've ever seen a chrome lined pistol barrel. Does it make it easier to clean and more durable? Probably, idk.

All in all, I think it's great that Beretta released a gun that comes with all the poo poo that serious shooters will put on it anyways. Any time I buy a new gun, there's always that mental list of poo poo that I'm going to have to swap out before it's set up how I like it. This gun just comes ready to go. It's cheaper than buying all this poo poo individually, and I don't have to install it myself. The only think I want to add is a 12# mainspring, which costs all of $8.

Oh, someone told me that box threads need animals. My dog kept following me around while I was taking these pictures. He has no idea what's happening:

poopgiggle fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

owns

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Fatter decockers and then I would.

Oh, the non-stainless Beretta 92 has a chrome-lined barrel. It's kinda Beretta's thing.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Oh, the non-stainless Beretta 92 has a chrome-lined barrel. It's kinda Beretta's thing.

See I had no idea because I was corrupted by "Beretta pistols are trash" Internet groupthink so I never owned one before now.

oh I think I forgot to mention that those levers make the gun decocker-only. this is hugely important because safeties on DA/SA guns are a terrible idea.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

That's nice as hell, thanks for the write up. Planning to put the Talon on there?

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Range report: the gun shoots good. After messing with my grip and trigger pull, I managed to shoot this group at 20-ish yards:

That flyer wasn't even the double action shot, I just lost focus and got lazy on the sights.

Other than that, I can confirm that the gun is indeed soft shooting. I'd say it recoils about as much as my M&P Pro. The one concerning thing was that the gun failed to return to battery several times during slide lock reloads. I found that I was pressing my thumb into the slide while hitting the slide release, which impeded the slide's forward motion. The good news is that after 100 rounds or so I was unable to replicate the failure, even when I was intentionally pressing my thumb into the slide, so it looks like the gun just needed to wear in a little.

Final Blog Entry posted:

That's nice as hell, thanks for the write up. Planning to put the Talon on there?

Yes. The grip is pretty slick, and it was slipping a little when shooting defensive ammo. The only reason I don't have it on yet is because I want to swap the mainspring, and I'd have to take the Talon grip off to do that.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Hell yeah cool-rear end Beretta bro

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

These are cool as hell, and I dearly wish that I could have one. Aside from the slickness of the grip, I really like my full size Storm.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

This dumb thread reminded me that these dumb guns exist and now I've googled myself into lusting after a compact carry. Like, intend to pay money for, not "man if I was emperor of Earth"... ugh. I've made a conscious decision to never buy any Glock that isn't a long slide 10mm but at this rate I'll just never buy a striker fired gun at all.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Friar Zucchini posted:

This dumb thread reminded me that these dumb guns exist and now I've googled myself into lusting after a compact carry. Like, intend to pay money for, not "man if I was emperor of Earth"... ugh. I've made a conscious decision to never buy any Glock that isn't a long slide 10mm but at this rate I'll just never buy a striker fired gun at all.

If it helps, they're sold out everywhere currently.

Though last I checked, a dude on p-f was selling his in the classifieds.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Ugh, this is going to cost me money. Langdon does a fullsize version I've been gun-lusting over for weeks.

My first pistol was a fullsize PX4. I picked up stealth levers as soon as they were available and really liked that setup. I ended up selling it because I liked the 92 frame better but drat if it wasn't a pretty good handgun.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

A guy I knew had one of these and he carried it concealed. Well, sort of. I mean they are so huge that it was always obvious.

I liked shooting it. Another friend bought one of the compacts, which he hates because he limp wrists it and it won't ever cycle for him. Works just fine for me.

They are pretty dang nice guns.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

A guy I knew had one of these and he carried it concealed. Well, sort of. I mean they are so huge that it was always obvious.

this is the compact. it's pretty reasonably sized as a carry gun. based on first principles I expect it to carry smaller than a Glock 19 (I don't have a ccw holster yet)

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

poopgiggle posted:

this is the compact. it's pretty reasonably sized as a carry gun. based on first principles I expect it to carry smaller than a Glock 19 (I don't have a ccw holster yet)

So.

Doesn't the compact *not* have the rotating barrel? Or have they changed that?

The one guy I know who had the full size had the rotating barrel, but the other guy's compact did not.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The sub-compact has a tilting breech. Full-size and compact rotate.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

The sub-compact has a tilting breech. Full-size and compact rotate.

Ah hah!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They should do a subcompact carry with the same mods.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

poopgiggle posted:

The end result is the PX4 Compact Carry (also called the "Ernest Langdon Edition"). It's a PX4 Compact with the following upgrades/extras: competition trigger group, low-profile decocker-only safety levers, low-profile single-sided slide release lever, Ameriglo sights, Talon grips, and Cerakoted slide. In short, it's a carry gun made by and for pistol nerds.
very nice. PX4 Compact Carry is on my short list of "next gun to buy."

also, your dog seems cool too

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

poopgiggle posted:

based on first principles I expect it to carry smaller than a Glock 19 (I don't have a ccw holster yet)

Just got the Keeper for it today. Boy does it ever.

banned from Starbucks posted:

They should do a subcompact carry with the same mods.

I think the problem is that many of the existing factory parts that they used wonít interchange.

That, and the target demographic of tactical timmies tends to see a Glock 19 sized gun as the minimum acceptable size.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Whelp, I have never really had an interest in Beretta pistols outside of poo poo from the 30s.

I kind of hate you for changing that.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Itís not compact but...

http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns/beretta/beretta-px4-storm-9mm.html

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

DAO though.

I suspect butch will buy them out.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I hate you both right now. If any are left in a couple weeks when my next biggish overtime check comes in, I'm on one.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

I hate you both right now. If any are left in a couple weeks when my next biggish overtime check comes in, I'm on one.

You might even win the DAO lottery; they might be the Constant Action version! (AKA Beretta DAK)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

What is the deal with the CAT over a true DAO? I've never really looked into it beyond the passing knowledge it's partially cocked like a Kel-Tek.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

What is the deal with the CAT over a true DAO? I've never really looked into it beyond the passing knowledge it's partially cocked like a Kel-Tek.

Yeah, it's basically a pre-cocked system so you get a lighter DAO pull like on the SIG DAK.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

infrared35 posted:

Yeah, it's basically a pre-cocked system so you get a lighter DAO pull like on the SIG DAK.

For $30 more at SOG you get the ďlike newĒ guarantee too... Iíve had generally good luck with them buying old -64ís and a model 10 or two.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

can we talk about how slick-side PX4s look dope af

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

poopgiggle posted:

can we talk about how slick-side PX4s look dope af

Yusss

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

I found this PX4 on Calguns. I don't know much about PX4s, but googling for gold PX4s doesn't show anything like this.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1441860&highlight=storm

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Just installed a 12# WC hammer spring. What a smart use of $8 this was. The DA pull isn't down to "tuned Stock II" levels but it's noticeably lighter. The stacking before the break, while very slight with the stock spring, is now more noticeable but I can deal.

Gonna make double-extra-sure that it will ignite my defensive ammo with the lighter spring and then put the Talons on it.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

if you check the last couple pages of that p-f thread in the OP, a second shipment of these is heading to the US now. there are a couple vendors with them in stock right now too.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I donít want to brag, but Ernest Langdon just accepted my invitation to connect on LinkedIn.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You two should discuss plans to get the new Langdon series 92 adopted as CBP's next service weapon.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

You two should discuss plans to get the new Langdon series 92 adopted as CBP's next service weapon.

Unf. Or even the PX4. I would be down like the clown, or whatever it is the kids say these days.

Unfortunately the selection criteria for the next handgun are set in stone. Polymer-frame, striker-fired, optic-capable, with finger grooves (yeah, dumb, but that's what you get for letting the officers pick what they want).

Maybe a Langdon edition APX?

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth

oh rly posted:

I found this PX4 on Calguns. I don't know much about PX4s, but googling for gold PX4s doesn't show anything like this.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1441860&highlight=storm

Are you talking about the color? I think it's just a regular black Px4 with lighting that makes it look off color.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

SirDrinksAlot posted:

Are you talking about the color? I think it's just a regular black Px4 with lighting that makes it look off color.

Yep, just terrible lighting and/or camera white balance.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

infrared35 posted:

Yep, just terrible lighting and/or camera white balance.

You're probably right. I mean I call myself a photographer and know how to use white balance, but come on. That just looks spray painted gold to me.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Update: I took a bunch of folks shooting for my bachelor party, and I brought a case of S&B 115gr 9mm. I was informed that the PX4CC was "jamming" (I didn't see it happen so I don't know what the failure was) with some of the shooters. I didn't have that problem so I chalked it up to noobs limpwristing. It's also worth mentioning that the same ammo caused a friend's M&P9 to malfunction, though again not when I was shooting it.

Fast forward to a range trip Saturday when it started to FRTB for me with the same ammo after a couple hundred rounds. I'd guess it had only about 500-700 rounds without cleaning or lubrication at this point. Whacking the base of the magazine would send the slide into battery.

This isn't ideal, but since this case of ammo has caused other known-good guns to fail also I'm not too concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Okay, with Beretta's site-wide 25% off sale, do I spend $350 or so upgrading the poo poo out of my PX4, or do I save up the rest and just buy a Langdon gun?

• Locked thread