Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Bean
May 3, 2009

In the waning days of the First Age, five great Kings of Creation conceived of great safehold, a vault in which they could preserve their great treasures, protected from the vagaries of time and Fate. They bound a great demon to eternal sleep, and hid their prized possessions in the nightmares of a nightmare. These great kings died when the First Age ended, but now their successors once more walk the earth, and the demon stirs in its slumber. You are inheritors of this legacy, for good or ill, and you find yourself called to...The Tomb of Dreams.

Introduction
Hi folks! Exalted is super complicated, and I'm not great at it. I want to get better, and what better way to do that than to try and run a game? I'll be running the official jump start adventure Tomb of Dreams to keep things straightforward at first, and once we've finished that, if all goes well we can hopefully transition into adventures in wider Creation, at which point I'll be experienced enough to turn my skeleton notes into actual interesting play.

The Game
I'll be running this game in Discord as a sort of hybrid chat/PbP game. Head for the server here to chat and do those character app things we all enjoy.

The Characters
Ideally, I'm looking for a full Circle of Solars using default chargen rules. I'm not going to nix anyone's concept outright, but do keep in mind that Tomb of Dreams is essentially a self-contained dungeon, and while there is stuff to do for you socialites and sages to do, if you're heavily invested in, say, Craft, or leading an army, it's not going to be terribly useful until you manage to escape the Tomb. This is intended to be a fairly casual game, so don't feel the need to have complex, involved backstories - though if you enjoy doing that, fill your boots! Newbies and veterans alike are welcome - I can use your respective enthusiasm and advice! Deadline to complete your applications will be 5:00pm EST on Saturday, April 21, though if you've got a semi-completed sheet and a fun background, that'll be enough to get you in consideration even if you aren't 100% done. If you've got any other questions, feel free to drop into the server and/or message me!

Some people were having trouble with the link, but maybe this plaintext one will work? https://discord.gg/vavGsus

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Irene - Dawn Caste

Born and abandoned in the dark slums of the Firewander district of Nexus, Irene was brought and raised as a slave and pit fighter for one of the several criminal gangs that acted in that part of the metropolis, eventually rising in ranks as she broke opponent after opponent until she was sold to the Guild to serve as a slave bodyguard for the rest of her short life, yet during one of her travels in a caravan that headed southwards, a massive horde of reaving bandits struck the caravan, slaughtering several of the other bodyguards and grievously wounding Irene.

It was at that point that she awakened her Exaltation, and repelled the raiders before stealing the most valuable cargo the Guild merchants carried, an ancient suit of pure Blue Jade, dredged by fishermen at the murky waters of a river and that was to be resold to the Immaculate Order for the price of an entire city. Taking the armor for herself, Irene fled towards the East, becoming a renowned mercenary and a feared fighter for hire that always accepts assignments as long as they are to bring ruin to her former masters.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 16, 2018

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Oliver Wendell Homes posted:

To allow opposition by speech seems to indicate that you think the speech impotent, as when a man says that he has squared the circle, or that you do not care wholeheartedly for the result, or that you doubt either your power or your premises. But when men have realized that time has upset many fighting faiths, they may come to believe even more than they believe the very foundations of their own conduct that the ultimate good desired is better reached by free trade in ideas -- that the best test of truth is the power of the thought to get itself accepted in the competition of the market, and that truth is the only ground upon which their wishes safely can be carried out.

John Ball posted:

When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bond, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may, if ye will, cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty.

I've spent the past year studying a lot of English legal and theological history. My initial idea for a cryptic, old, and deeply knowledgeable kung fu monk evolved to a sort of re-imagining of brilliant Puritan thinkers like John Wycliffe and John Milton - genius Elizabethan-era militant thinkers who fought against falsehood, ignorance, and the corruption of the state church, with ideas, learning, and potentially a musket as tall as a man - in the setting and context of Exalted. Like most of these thinkers, he comes from a privileged background and a religious education, and like Milton and Wycliffe, charismatic but honest, earnest, and naive to the point of risking death.

When I reached the monastery with my heirloom firearm, I halted on the bottom of the ancient stone steps. The light of revelation thudded, still thudding in my head. I couldn’t make myself completely amiable to what I saw, underneath that tree, when thirty years of theology gave way to staring into the face of the sun itself. The effort needed to keep my eyes open and not turn away was immense, the summer heat and the majesty of the monastery bearing down. It was almost too much for one old man, but I could not go back down off that step either, I could not make myself amiable to old ideas, false ideas that had bogarted me for decades, yet again.

But the heat was so great that it was just as bad staying where I was, under that flood of
blinding light falling from the sky. To stay, or to make a move—it came to much the
same. After a moment I used my rifle as a walking stick, and started walking, walking up the steps.
As I saw the chambers, the walls bare of iconography, the passages I had memorized in childhood in every direction as far as eye could reach, and monks uttering prayers in little, flurried gasps.

As I slowly walked toward the lectern at the end of the pews I could feel my temples swelling under the impact of my inner light.
It pressed itself on me, preventing me from halting my progress my progress. And each time the grandmaster spoke, asking why I had returned, why was I not saying anything, what was I doing with that gun, I felt a hot blast strike my forehead.

I gritted my teeth, I clenched right fists in my trouser pocket and
keyed up every nerve in alignment with the sun and its banishment of the dark befuddlement that had burdened me for so long.

Grandmaster, your fire is not light, it is smog and obscuring darkness. Whenever a blade of vivid light shot in through the stained glass I was reminded,
and I knew that I was being watched, and I trembled in fear of the Inascertainable Grand Design which had finally be revealed to me..

I wasn’t going to be beaten.

I walked steadily on.

I leveled the orichalcum sights at his face. "Lie to me, one more time, Grandmaster."

Again his words came out as inaudible hot blasts of air. His light dribbled out like a puddled of dirty water.

All that is hidden will be made clear.
All that is dark now will be revealed.
What you have heard in the dark
proclaim in the light;
What you hear in whispers
proclaim from the housetops.

Bang.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V0iIQFMwRrVVPHK_D4H1CmEixTaaIVEuCYtn652Bvqg/edit?usp=sharing

• Locked thread