Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
There is a loving shitload of content for them to use from the Sigma manga, easily another 12 episodes if you ask me.

Thanks to this series coming out, I've blasted through FMP and Fumoffu. Second Raid is next on the radar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't see why they wouldn't just do one more 12 episode cour to round it out, if you go OVA you need to up the animation quality anyway so that gets expensive. I think you'd save money but not enough to make it really worth it. That's just speculation though, ultimately as far as I know it comes down to dvd/blur-ray sales primarily and ratings a tiny, tiny bit in terms of renewing a series.

If they brought back FMP out of the blue after letting it sit on the shelf, animation wise, for like a decade then I don't see why they wouldn't just finish it out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If the question is "why did a company do a thing" the answer is always "because they thought it would make them more money."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

If the question is "why did a company do a thing" the answer is always "because they thought it would make them more money."

Almost always.

You look at some projects over the years, sometimes it's because someone higher up has a weird passion project they're into, or they're friends with somebody, or they're wanting to tank someone else's reputation, or to earn prestige. All those might add up to making money later, but that's more a corporation acting to minimize damage from a complication, not the main initial intent.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
So what major aspect of the show attracted everyone to Full Metal Panic? Was it the mecha? The sci-fi in a contemporary world, military realism, or character dynamics? Or simply something else entirely?

To elaborate, I actually loved the initial premise of Sousuke being a covert operative in a peaceful environment but had not adapted to the normal cues of this foreign environment. It was an easy setup for comedy. But the biggest draw for me was the whole covert operations part of it. Something about putting on a completely mundane facade but being a total badass in hiding. And of course the guns. Not like Kenichi Sonoda level of gun dorkery, but still a healthy choice in guns that would be appropriate for the realism factor. (I still have to restrain myself from making a SSP/TMP shaped purchase against all common sense/reviews.) I should also be thankful that FMP was what made me accepting of mecha. I never really got hooked on mecha, but FMP did it right for me. It didn't hurt that alternate history had AS flourish early on and get adapted into military doctrine.

We have another week until that finale, huh? I guess I should look up some espionage or spy animes. It will be hard to catch that feel when I first started FMP all those years ago.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a better than average but never quite exceptional series. i don't really need a specific reason to watch a given anime.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I watched the episodes in Fumoffu where Tessa visits and the rugby team one at Japanese/anime club in high school, and bought all the series (or asked for it as gifts) from there. I just overall really enjoyed both the humor and the drama.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blight Runner posted:

So what major aspect of the show attracted everyone to Full Metal Panic? Was it the mecha? The sci-fi in a contemporary world, military realism, or character dynamics? Or simply something else entirely?

Sousuke and Chidori's relationship. The moment I was 100% sold on the series was the hair-cutting scene.

The robot stuff is insanely generic and a detriment to the series as far as I'm concerned.

As you might imagine I'm not really a big fan of this season, although they've at least made the action (and the antagonists) a little more interesting than the parts with Gauron. He's such a nothing character. (At least in the anime -- I guess the LN characterized him a little more?)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sousuke and Chidori's relationship. The moment I was 100% sold on the series was the hair-cutting scene.

The robot stuff is insanely generic and a detriment to the series as far as I'm concerned.

As you might imagine I'm not really a big fan of this season, although they've at least made the action (and the antagonists) a little more interesting than the parts with Gauron. He's such a nothing character. (At least in the anime -- I guess the LN characterized him a little more?)

I wouldn't call Gauron a nothing character, but having a loose cannon underling double as a mastermind villain like that was probably something of a mistake. Second Raid uses him well, though.

The robot stuff works better in this season than in previous ones. Ditching the Lambda Driver helped, I think.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
regular robots fighting lambda driver robots is fun, but having two techno wizards duke it out has sucked. it generally came down to sousuke winning as soon as he believed in himself.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yea, robot stuff totally wasn't necessary to sell me on this series. I just want more character dynamics with Sousuke and friends. I tolerate robot stuff, but yeah, you're right. And that haircut scene was a huge milestone. I can't wait for the two to unite again :kimchi:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I think the reason I love FMP is the real world with the mix of the black technology stuff like Arm Slaves, ECS and so on. The designs of the Arm Slaves themselves are really well thought out, showing the rapid advancements in the evolutions. Take a look at an M6 Bushnell, RK-92 Savage or the AS that were in the first episode of Second Raid (Mistral?), and compare it against the M9 Gernsback, ARX-7 Arablest or the Zy-98 Shadow to see just how rapid the development went. It reminds me of how jet fighters went from the ME-262 (1944) to the F-15 (First flight 1972, Introduced 1976) in a mere 28 years.

Also, the ground based stuff outside of the Arm Slaves is also enjoyable to watch.

It was this trailer that got my attention all those years ago;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDr--VxBK1g

Of course, I fell in love with the characters, especially Sagara getting into awkward situations and proceeding to dig an even larger hole for himself.

Falken fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 7, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I got into it because I'd seen a couple episodes of Fumoffu many years ago and remembered them being funny, and then suddenly a new season what announced and the existing ones went up on Crunchyroll. What kept me watching, I think, was the dynamic of Sosuke and Chidori being drawn into each other's worlds. (Invisible Victory goes in a pretty daring direction by essentially destroying both worlds, but it still works surprisingly well, at least on Sosuke's end. I liked Sosuke being smug when he was negotiating with the corrupt cop; that's not how the old Sosuke would have talked.)

I think watching Second Raid right before Invisible Victory means I see the show a bit differently than a lot of FMP fans who waited a decade in between. Sosuke and Chidori get forced out of school by Amalgam right after Sosuke has decided that the school is where he belongs, which is a bit jarring. (The student council president is right about high schools being transitional, something a lot of high school-centric Japanese media forgets, but that wasn't how Sosuke seemed to think of it at the end of Second Raid.) On the other hand, I never really had the sense of Second Raid being "incomplete" that a lot of people seem to. The Gauron/Gates/Twins/China storyline is squarely resolved; it's just that there's a cameo appearance by the villain of the next season.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've always been a Cold War history buff and the fact that FMP took the idea of the Soviet Union still existing and added in generational production of mecha in the same vein of generational production of aircraft/tanks/etc. was just... drat.

I would love an FMP spinoff that is basically nothing but how the inevitable superpower proxy wars played out with mecha - how would the Yom Kippur War have fared, or something like that? Actual frontal engagements and tactical doctrine involving mecha - does it follow more of an infantry, mechanized infantry, or pure armor standpoint? Are there armored cav elements with lighter weight recon machines? Where does fixed-wing air support come into play?

Sousuke and Kaname's relationship is all well and good but for me, the realistic modern mecha was what really sealed the deal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

I've always been a Cold War history buff and the fact that FMP took the idea of the Soviet Union still existing and added in generational production of mecha in the same vein of generational production of aircraft/tanks/etc. was just... drat.

I would love an FMP spinoff that is basically nothing but how the inevitable superpower proxy wars played out with mecha - how would the Yom Kippur War have fared, or something like that? Actual frontal engagements and tactical doctrine involving mecha - does it follow more of an infantry, mechanized infantry, or pure armor standpoint? Are there armored cav elements with lighter weight recon machines? Where does fixed-wing air support come into play?

Sousuke and Kaname's relationship is all well and good but for me, the realistic modern mecha was what really sealed the deal.

The Yom Kippur war would have played out the same because the divergence point from the real world is December 25, 1984.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

The Yom Kippur war would have played out the same because the divergence point from the real world is December 25, 1984.

I'd say "first Gulf War with mecha" but given that the USSR existed during GWI in our timeline and kinda sat things out/didn't support Iraq, without knowing the actual divergent timeline and its events, I wonder if that'd still happen.

Dangit, there were no really good proxy wars in the 80s that weren't the Iran/Iraq War or terrorist activity, were there?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MJP posted:

I'd say "first Gulf War with mecha" but given that the USSR existed during GWI in our timeline and kinda sat things out/didn't support Iraq, without knowing the actual divergent timeline and its events, I wonder if that'd still happen.

Dangit, there were no really good proxy wars in the 80s that weren't the Iran/Iraq War or terrorist activity, were there?

There's a pretty big one that Sosuke is a veteran of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet%96Afghan_War

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010
Iraq got the poo poo nuked out of it in this setting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

If anything I'd expect a USSR that wasn't weeks away from collapse and/or had some stompy robots to be an active antagonist in the Gulf War.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

The problem with non-magical mechs in a modern setting is that they have the same vulnerabilities that tanks do. You have to find a way to explain away ATGM's and aircraft with precision munitions or its just fancy tanks that make no difference. The Yom Kippur war would have played out the same because the decisive factors weren't the armor, it was the SAM's, ATGM's, and the IAF.

Midjack posted:

If anything I'd expect a USSR that wasn't weeks away from collapse and/or had some stompy robots to be an active antagonist in the Gulf War.

It's reasonable to assume that a What If USSR in 1990 would have had the same assumptions that the US did--namely that Saddam was either bluffing or would limit any attack to the disputed oil fields. When Saddam went whole hog on Kuwait, it's reasonable to think a fictional USSR would have had the same reaction as they did with Korea and simply abstained in the UNSC. Remember basically everybody was in the coalition against Saddam in 91.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Gaaaah, I squealed all throughout the last episode. The finale felt so satisfying after all these years... Now, I'll just have to wait at least another decade for season 5! :v:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Wait, I thought they were starting up again next week. If all the remaining episodes just dropped, tomorrow is gonna be a jam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Wait, I thought they were starting up again next week. If all the remaining episodes just dropped, tomorrow is gonna be a jam.

Both of them just did.

And, yeah. If the next delay is a decade long, that's... remarkably sadistic.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Chidori you kind of suck. Red hair girl would have just plugged Leonard instantly and gone home with Sosuke. Resurrect her and kill Chidori off instead imo

At least Sosuke's true love, a murder robot, is back I guess

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Huh what I had read online before was the episodes weren't coming for a few more days. Glad to see I'm wrong, heading off to Crunchy ASAP.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

arrrgh got plans tomorrow so I'll duck out from here until then. Stupid adult obligations that require me to be up at 7am.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Name of the show is Invisible Victory. Robot does not achieve invisibility or victory.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Name of the show is Invisible Victory. Robot does not achieve invisibility or victory.

uh, obviously a robot is winning in the background of every scene. you just can't see it because it is invisible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Whoa, big nostalgia kick at the end there.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am I going nuts or were two of the Behemoths that Sousuke offed in the same color schemes as Giant Robo and Big O?

So yeah, I feel like it's 2004 and anime is refreshing and fun and good and new again, every single second of the last two eps was awesome. The Laevateinn is cool and good now and I've gotten over my initial lackluster feel on its design. If there is a good and just God or gods in the universe, the Bandai kit of it will have those Gatling guns in the head section detailed.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
I love you, Full Metal Panic. Whatever form you take, I truly love you.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah the bits at the end where they played songs from the original series, ESPECIALLY ending the credits with the original OP were punches to the heart. I love this series. I hope the rest gets animated sooner rather than 10 years from now, or at least before I go read the Sigma manga.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I rewatched FMP, Fumoffu and Second Raid prior to this, so getting all the awesome musics of seasons past was just wonderful.

I knew they'd not try to cram it all in. Wish it was a 24 episode season rather than a 12. :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It wasn't even a 12 episode season

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

It wasn't even a 12 episode season

Yes it was. The recaps aren’t counted in the episode list.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Now that it's over, I can talk about how I hated that they fully revealed the Laevateinn in the OP. Completely deflates the tension in Mr. K stealing Sousuke's "new AS". It looked like an M9 dressed with some spare parts from the ARX-8, they could've at least given it garish orange highlights too.

And n-thing the hate for the changeover to the english version. It sounds so terrible, like it was probably a stupid committee decision to try and appeal to international audiences, and it only sounds cool to Japanese listeners.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AtheistMantis posted:

And n-thing the hate for the changeover to the english version. It sounds so terrible, like it was probably a stupid committee decision to try and appeal to international audiences, and it only sounds cool to Japanese listeners.

I'm gonna disagree here actually. When I first heard the OP i thought it sounded like generic anime op #387 but doing it in english gave it a bit more personality

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
See you guys in 12 years I guess, had a goofy grin on my face for the past 45 mins.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Maaaan I can't believe they didn't just do a full season and finish it. I had a blast watching. Is there any word about the next one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
with all the production delays it's probably for the best that they stuck to one cour

• Locked thread