Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Today is a bit of mishmash of any remaining content the game has to offer.

First off, now that we are literally at the end of the game, I can finally post the drat trailer for the game as it no longer spoils the hell out of some things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvPThUEI2fE

If there's anything that looks unfamiliar, outside of maybe one image, it's just some cut content that didn't make it into the final product. And boy, was there some cut content! For my example of this, there was a trailer released in 2014 that really highlighted this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXJqi2KmhCw

You can tell that the game was in a primitive state...except at the end it says coming in 2014. As there is a big difference between 2014 and 2017, I thought'd it be a bit interesting to point out some potential cut content where I could find it. Of course, we'll need some music to go through this. So let's play the trailer music that is, sadly, completely missing from the game! It's tragic because it's really dang good and may be my favorite of the tracks Laura did for this game.

Searching My Life

So an easy thing to notice is how many areas got redesigned. The Skyland locations look different and I'm a bit unsure if we even go to a place or two shown. Another notable thing is people following the boy and his mom around. You see a bud and minimori presumably in the party! Was this just more fetch quest stuff like with the pig and Puchi or was more planned? Who know! But speculation is fun :v:

Another thing I mentioned a lot is that I believed the game changed focus more towards the end of the game. That isn't just born out in the final product, if you see the original trailer- Tony's house looks almost the same thing we got in the final version. That we don't see the Monsieur's mansion in this trailer, may have meant Kisaburo got a "dungeon" similar to Tony and Gemma.

There are also a lot of scenes just now here or radically changed, that I assume were just cut for time. Which sucks as some look absolutely adorable, like the mom reading to the boy with all the Forest inhabitants there :3:.

Now let's move on to some interesting things I found while diving into the files for spritework and other various things to help make this LP a lot easier. First up, here's a boy you're quite familiar with- Yami:

He's always had a filter on, so it may have been hard to tell what he looks like. In the files, he's called Child 1. Not important enough to be named I guess. Well, here's Child 1_old

He's still got that distinctive edgy teen look, but now in red! Probably a good change, as red hair would have been a bit silly.

Next up, we've got Puchi_old!

A lot less adorable looking. I'm unsure what type of breed Puchi was based on here, though it's a bit more wolfish and more aggressive looking. If you're crafting sad dog stories, the doggies gotta be cute! So I assume this is something that changed during this years long delay.

Now for an undeniably great change- the root foots. If you don't remember those, let me remind you:

Those adorable little things that also had the upbeat Tiny Planets to accompany them? I'm not sure I would have enjoyed them if they looked like this:

They weren't horrible, just uninspired. They look like walking cucumbers and I'm glad they're now adorable as heck.

Here's a change I'm a bit unsure on what inspired it. As it changes a character design completely! Here's Tony's sprite sheet. I'm sure you will see why I was a bit confused by it.

I guess the other Tony looked a bit more sterotypical old guy, and got changed for that reason? It also looked like he didn't fit the art style, so maybe this guy was here to serve as inspiration. :shrug:

Speaking of art styles not fitting, here's Winston's Wife full sprite:

Looks a bit... out of place? Well, here's the full sprite sheet for her:

I thought this was interesting how some default sprites were repurposed to fit a theme that was radically different. It's sometimes neat to see how the sausage is made!

There's one more sprite change I want to show off, and it's a big one- Sue. Like her friend Puchi, it seems Sue had gotten a facelift during development. For likely a similar reason as Puchi.

If I had to guess, Sue looked too old in this appearence. The final version has a much more innocent look and gives her a very messy hairdo. Like with Puchi trying to look more cute, Sue being more innocent and younger looking likely helps people get attached easier. Although a preteen or even young teen Sue's story would still be pretty upsetting, but her innocence would have been less endearing and more "naive child". As well, her leeble form was going to be used for the "Build a Little World with me" part.

There's a sprite for leeble Sue doing everything involved with those segments.

And now, some cut content that makes me a bit sad.

You may have forgotten, but the boy does have a little brother! He gets mentioned in the first update, and the dad talks about him in update 28. I'm not sure if this sprite meant there were going to be more flashbacks or a focus on the boy before he got sick. Regardless, it would have been interesting (and likely adorable!) to see the boy and mom interact more with the family.

Finally, this is a consolidation of all of Sue's scenes. I felt that she had a lot of nuance and I discovered a lot of things about her story while replaying the game for this LP. I wanted to make sure people had the chance to easily see them again, with the full context of her story.

Update 31 - Sue's Tiny Planets

That's it for this update! I've squeezed out every last bit of content Rakuen has to offer. I hope people found this interesting! And if not, eh allow me some self-indulgence :v:

Tomorrow is the ending to the game! I hope you've prepared your wish for Morizora...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Update 32 - Boy Meets His Hero

We have done everything there is to do... let's make our wish.

Kami Kabuto Hero

Yes.

I've heard the things that are too quiet for the ears. I listened to their fears, and I learned what they longed for.
I learned their hopes and their dreams...
And I wanted those things for them.
I really really wanted those things for them.

So tell me, young one... what is it that you wish for?

My wish...

Yes... what is your wish, my child?

I wish...

I want to sail to Rakuen.

Very well then. Your wish is granted.

:siren::siren:

The End

Kassan e

I can't believe we're actually here...
It's been a very long journey... You did great.
Oh Mom...

No matter what, I will never ever stop loving you.

Never forget that, okay?
And promise me you'll keep being brave... Keep shining your light.
Mom...
I want you to know that your kind heart, and your gentle spirit... those are such special gifts.
Mom...
I'm gonna miss you so much...

Promise me you'll be strong for me?

The Credits

Jump

Underneath the Big Dipper we gathered stars
We took off both our slippers

And sank into the water

Then we swam beneath a bridge
We met a man who sold us what we needed

He gave us directions

And we swim

And we fall
Hold my hand

Through it all
If we jump into the water

Would we swim or would we drown?
If we built a set of wings

Then could we fly or just fall down?

And if you keep talking to me
Through this darkness through this night

I'll be alright

Though we were without a map

Without a plan, without a destination

We knew where we were going

We put feathers on our backs
And climbed so we could see all that below us

Before we let go

And we fly

And we fall

Hold my hand
Through it all

Would we swim or would we drown

If we built a set of wings
then could we fly or just fall down

Through this darkness

Through this night
I'll be alright (x2)

Be alright

Would you hold me so I'd never be afraid

As the sky falls down
Around us now

If you tell me everything will be okay

I'll believe you, you don't have to tell me how

Would we swim

Or would we drown?
If we build a set of wings
Then could we fly or just fall down?

Through this darkness through this night

I'll be alright

And thank you to everyone for following along. That... was Rakuen. A game that contained a lot of adorable moments, a bunch of cute dialogue, some really upsetting times, and yet a positive message. As it is an indie game, please feel free to help the devs out and throw them some money if you can afford it. I can only hope you enjoyed this LP as much as I did making it.

Farewell and... thank you... for building this little world with me.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

SystemLogoff posted:

This game better not have the kid die at the end :argh:

It's way too cute.

:smith:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

...wait, did Uma die as well?

Thanks for showing off this game. I'm not sure I'm as impressed with it as you are, but it's still a nice little thing for what it is, with some solid emotion in it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I guess that probably is what happened, given he just disappears in the middle of Sue's arc... and given he more or less implied he was Sue's father who ran out on her - I have a sneaking feeling of what happened.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

...wait, did Uma die as well?

Thanks for showing off this game. I'm not sure I'm as impressed with it as you are, but it's still a nice little thing for what it is, with some solid emotion in it.

To each their own! Maybe it was a right place/right time sorta thing, but a cute game that shined with positivity among a lot of sadness was something I was in the mood for.

As for Uma, yeah he was a drinker and gambler who just one day walked out. I assume he died either by his vices or his own hand. Either of which would be WAY too negative for this game, so it's better to keep it speculation instead. Which is something I do feel this game does well- keeping the speculation to topics that deserve it and not be a me3 ending. :speculate:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Please don't be a dying kid's fever dream

gently caress this poo poo

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If anyone is still interested, there's a contest going on for the game right now mostly about fanart. Though there's other ways to enter, you could win a poster and some stickers and a copy of the game and soundtrack. The contest ends in a couple days, so I wanted to post it for anyone who enjoyed the ride.

https://gleam.io/gA1z1/rakuen-fan-art-contest-giveaway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man. I should not have marathoned that. Though I suppose now I should go back and look at those first episodes now that I know about Yami.

• Locked thread