Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

This is the thread for Hisone to Masotan, a.k.a. HisoMaso, a.k.a. Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan, an original anime created by Bones and airing on Netflix.

This show is about a secret division of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force focused on cute girls piloting cute dragons. The first episode was pretty good, so I'm looking forward to more!

Hisone Amakasu, blabbermouth rookie in the Japan Air Self-Defense Force. Uses flip phones.

Masotan, ancient dragon Organic Transforming Flier and F-15J cosplayer. Eats flip phones.

Nao Kaizaki, one of the D-Pilots. Elementary school punk wannabe. Has a crush on Ikushima.

The other Dragon pilots! From left to right, there's the intense Penguin, the motherly Morris, and the lethargic Jimmy.

The other dragons.

Hiroshi Sosoda and Remi Kakiyasu: Run the OTF Division. Don't take no for an answer.

Vice-Director Ikushima: Designs the pilot suits, is a creep.

Captain Zaitou: Flies boring non-draconic planes, owns a lame non-draconic motorcycle, also a creep.

Haruto Okonogi: Baby-faced maintenance officer. Smokes to try to play up the gap, but fails hard.

Yakult Lady: Actually has a name, so we will be seeing more of her in the future.

Yakult Joa: Delicious Yakult. Comes in orange and strawberry flavors.

cave emperor fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
A very fun first episode, for hopefully a very fun show

Hisone is great :3:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Loved the visuals and music! Bones really knows how to push the visual envelope at times

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wonder how people piloted the dragons before acid-proof flight suits.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

very carefully

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Little did she know, but the dragon's name was also Goro.

As for piloting without acid suits, I don't think the lack of a suit is the big issue. Amakusa got swallowed like three times, and only once was she even wearing partial suit. She doesn't seem to have any nasty acid-burns even from the one time where there wasn't a crew on hand with the laxative injectors. I'm more interested in the method of control. Without the helmet's virtual reality-goggles, how do you even know what part of the stomach to poke at what time? My guess is that there was someone riding up on top in the past, or the pilot was little more than a chewy sacrificial fuel cell.

Actually, I'm not entirely clear on that. Is a dragon physically unable to fly without swallowing someone first?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

is this vore

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

maninthesuit posted:

Little did she know, but the dragon's name was also Goro.

As for piloting without acid suits, I don't think the lack of a suit is the big issue. Amakusa got swallowed like three times, and only once was she even wearing partial suit. She doesn't seem to have any nasty acid-burns even from the one time where there wasn't a crew on hand with the laxative injectors. I'm more interested in the method of control. Without the helmet's virtual reality-goggles, how do you even know what part of the stomach to poke at what time? My guess is that there was someone riding up on top in the past, or the pilot was little more than a chewy sacrificial fuel cell.

Actually, I'm not entirely clear on that. Is a dragon physically unable to fly without swallowing someone first?

The whole getting eaten thing seems like it's just there to please the creator's fetish tbh. I really don't like it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

mari okada's well-known vore fetish

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
I can't disagree with that. When I first read the premise, I expected the pilots to ride in the cockpit-part of the jet-costume. For now my hopes are that the show turns into a comedic slice-of life kind of thing with the actual dragon-riding being something that only rarely happens. As a joke, 'the dragon eats people' isn't all that funny. In other words, more phone-cat and favourite drink-debates, less dragon-digestion please.

Actually, until the twister-training scene, I thought that the dragon eating people was NOT supposed to happen and that safety regulations would be based around avoiding it at all costs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's so they could make the poop joke, which was very funny.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

"the dragon eats people and we have to piledrive emetics into it" is a good joke. but also i think the eating gag is probably just between hisone and masotan, not the other d-cadets

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

dogsicle posted:

"the dragon eats people and we have to piledrive emetics into it" is a good joke. but also i think the eating gag is probably just between hisone and masotan, not the other d-cadets

They have a suit specifically designed for it and she controls the dragon by punching its insides.

It's not a one-off gag. It's part of the central conceit.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

They have a suit specifically designed for it and she controls the dragon by punching its insides.

It's not a one-off gag. It's part of the central conceit.

they all pilot from the inside, i just mean the wacky comedy cut-to-dragon-chomping-girl seem exclusive to the main pair

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's a funny concept! Please stop making it weird.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Everyone's just terrified this might accidentally awaken some latent vore fetish for them.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

cathead posted:

Everyone's just terrified this might accidentally awaken some latent vore fetish for them.

Latent?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the vore thing is weird but i'm not sure if it is too weird yet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

mari okada's well-known vore fetish

Okada definitely has some weird fetishes and probably would have a Fetlife account if she could.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This show looks very endearing, and that whole premise involving this cute dragon is so ridiculous I kinda want to check out the rest just based on that.

Of course, after watching the episode, I just had to go ahead and read the rest of this thread, and now I just know I'm gonna see that dumb fetish in everything next episode

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This show rules and I won't let goons ruin it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I really liked the first episode! It was funny, the cast is likeable, the music is good in a not in your face way, the visuals were pretty simple until the flight scene and then it was fantastic and beautiful pastel colors everywhere. Its a very accurate depiction of military life! The hazing, the bickering between the different sections, the visual aids and videos for absolutely everything, lower ranking member telling institutionalized guys and gals that the poo poo is stupid (because it is) and then immediately loving up (because thats what privates/airmen do)

Goons posted:

vore vore vore

:yikes:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

an actual dog posted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

an actual dog posted:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

The show is great and people need to stop getting worried about some silly vore jokes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

this vore talk has been a real bore, makes reading such a chore, just a real snore

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

an actual dog posted:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I was thinking of putting a vore joke in the OP, but then I was like, nah, that would be creepy and weird, wouldn't want to be creepy and weird on the Something Awful forums, haha,

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://files.catbox.moe/26pima.webm

Kaizaki is bad at bullying :3:

Big fan of the ed too, some very good dancing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_88O8X7jM

Knorth fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 21, 2018

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Good second episode!

I'm still not sure where the show is going to go, plot-wise. Given the real-world, present-day setting, a military conflict with another country would be too controversial, so maybe they're going to fight (and ultimately tame) wild dragons? Then again, I'm fine with this being a Cute Girls Riding Cute Dragons show for now.

I also loved the ED, despite the terrible French accent. Requesting gifs.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah I'm curious about that too, I can imagine them using the dragons for like disaster response or something even if I'm not sure you'd usually use fighter jets in that situation

(thank you tumblr)

Knorth fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 21, 2018

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Who needs plot anyway, just give me more adventures of the girl whose internal dialogue absolutely everyone can hear. Also, seconding that this is some really excellent dancing in the ED.

One of my favorite little details: Masotan's eyes going wild when he devours someone/pukes them back up, crazy eyes man

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I realize this is an animated comedy about piloting dragons by being eaten by them, but drat the JSDF seems really easygoing about people going AWOL

Can't wait for pretty lady, female Ichimatsu, and probable half-foreigner giant to show up

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nao is the best and I think we should all support her

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nao is the worstbest bully :unsmith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only other Mari Okada show I've seen is Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans and man this is like night and day from that.

Anyways, show is good. Hisone and Nao own. E.T.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Raxivace posted:

The only other Mari Okada show I've seen is Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans and man this is like night and day from that.

Anyways, show is good. Hisone and Nao own. E.T.

Yeah, this is sort of like the exact opposite of IBO, in just about every way I can compare the two.

Also this show is good and it makes me feel good. Closest thing I'm watching this season to Yuru Camp.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

No product placement this week. Looks like we'll meet the rest of the pilots next episode.

Some notes about the naming: Hisone's last name is Amakasu (甘粕). The first kanji means "sweet", which is how Moriyama came up with the first nickname. The second kanji does indeed mean "scrap" or "waste". Remi Kakiyasu's last name starts with the kanji for persimmon (柿), which apparently used to be her TAC name.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man this show is very sweet and heartwarming I hope it keeps down this path. Its so refreshing that all the drama from the episode is just a dragon getting stage fright

Araki posted:

No product placement this week

Wrong. There is plenty of product placement to join the JSDF this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The little eye ports in Masotan's disguise are incredibly cute.

• Locked thread