Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sindai posted:

The little eye ports in Masotan's disguise are incredibly cute.

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm, what am I missing with Hisone's TAC name being, well, Hisone? I assume there's a pun here or something, but also, I thought that her (given) name was already Hisone. Is that part of the joke, or were we all calling her Hisone before she was actually named that?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 30, 2018

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Hm, what am I missing with Hisone's TAC name being, well, Hisone? I assume there's a pun here or something, but also, I thought that her (given) name was already Hisone. Is that part of the joke, or were we all calling her Hisone before she was actually named that?

They were calling her with her last name, Amakasu. And yes, her given name was Hisone. Morikawa couldn't come up with a good translation for Amakasu.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurking Haro posted:

They were calling her with her last name, Amakasu. And yes, her given name was Hisone. Morikawa couldn't come up with a good translation for Amakasu.

I know that's what they were calling her, yes. I was just making sure that the viewers and all the other out-of-show stuff I've seen calling her Hisone was because that was her actual name even before this episode, because I felt it was but wasn't quite sure that was the joke, and was starting to wonder if I was misremembering her name being stated as Hisone (outside of the title, of course) on the show in the first episode or something.

Yeah, though, thanks for confirming that. That definitely explains the reactions to it when it was revealed. Other than Hisone herself being smitten with it maybe, though the graphic on her helmet for it did look good.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 30, 2018

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I want this anime to convey every complex emotion imaginable through a series of cute giant dragon squeals

Hopefully with a constant Chewbacca-Solo situation. Nobody understood jackshit, but they act like they kinda did and just wing it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They were calling Masotan by sort of a TAC name as well with Oscar. Hisone didn't like it and rather called him by his real name. There are some parallels between the two here even if its mostly Morikawa being simple, she could have chosen Sweet afterall.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Otofu would have been a much better nickname.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Oh, tofu?" was my first thought upon hearing it. Still what I think of too.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Talking about that the dragons look for certain girls, Morikawa having a child shortly after Masotan refusing to fly with her and the Shiroi Koibito cookie makes me think they are going with dragons only accepting virgins (as sacrifices).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, this show has a lot of creepy dudes. Which is accurate to the military I suppose, but still, wow, some of the guys in this are disgusting; the one in this episode didn't even have any funny moments the way Mr. "Don't worry, I'm only interested in your body" did, he was just scummy the whole time. I'm starting to hope something terrible happens to him before the show ends.

Also, I really hope that Penguin (I cannot remember her, or anyone else's real name besides Hisone's and Masotan's) stops being such an idiot soon; not only is treating her dragon like it's nothing more than a thing cruel, it's also monumentally stupid. It's clearly an intelligent being, trying to make it be a fighter jet all the time because she wants to be a "real" pilot is moronic and not the right way to go. Though that seems to be a thing with her; disobeying a superior's orders doesn't seem like the best way to move up (though I'd say being a normal pilot is more of a lateral move at best given how rare and important D-pilots seem to be) in the military.

This episode seemed more serious than the past ones. I wonder how much of a thing that's going to be; the last length of it was pretty much lacking in humor entirely besides Hisone's unintentional insensitivity and Jimmy's weirdness. Given the characters and concept and such, I don't think the show's going to abandon humor entirely or anything, but this makes me wonder what the balance is going to be and what direction it's going in.

Oh, and most importantly: Sexy Jaguar!~

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Oh man, that's the best episode so far. The dynamic with the full cast together is great, I love my loser pilot girls.

Roland Jones posted:

Which is accurate to the military I suppose, but still, wow, some of the guys in this are disgusting; the one in this episode didn't even have any funny moments the way Mr. "Don't worry, I'm only interested in your body" did, he was just scummy the whole time.

I think that's the same guy and he's such a piece of poo poo! I think they're trying to play him as creepy as possible without running into legit scary, and I think that works for what the show is going for.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

an actual dog posted:

Oh man, that's the best episode so far. The dynamic with the full cast together is great, I love my loser pilot girls.

I think that's the same guy and he's such a piece of poo poo! I think they're trying to play him as creepy as possible without running into legit scary, and I think that works for what the show is going for.

Nah, I meant the clothing designer guy as the one who's occasionally funny; his weird perviness is bizarre in ways that don't feel real, and he occasionally gets amusing lines like the one I mentioned. The creep this episode is a recurring guy too though, I just don't remember his name. I wasn't expecting him to go full MRA/PUA "break the girl's spirit to make her emotionally vulnerable" though, it came a bit out of nowhere for a comedy show.

But yeah, the girls are great. Their dragons are great too. Though I hope, again, that Penguin stops being a dumbass, and that poor "F-2" gets treated better and a real name.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Roland Jones posted:

I wasn't expecting him to go full MRA/PUA "break the girl's spirit to make her emotionally vulnerable" though, it came a bit out of nowhere for a comedy show.
I don't remember if we actually got his name. He was kind of a piece of poo poo in the previous episode as well and I'm really hoping he gets some sort of comeuppance.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That the superiors didn't get mad at that guy is really the worst.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Craptacular! posted:

That the superiors didn't get mad at that guy is really the worst.
I don't think he did anything that would earn him a reprimand? For all that he's a dumbass he apparently isn't dumbass enough to actually do anything untoward.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 6, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kyte posted:

I don't think he did anything that would earn him a reprimand? For all that he's a dumbass he apparently isn't dumbass enough to actually do anything untoward.

They were telling her to not go to a populated area while she was being chased by that guy.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Wasn't that the point of the exercise? The two pilots were supposed to simulate an attack. Of course, he deliberately fell for the bait with way too much enthusiam and kept up the pressure, but he wasn't doing anything especially out of line. (His motivations are another matter, of course.) Our F-2 pilot, however, directly disobeyed orders and risked to reveal a top-secret project... Seems clear to me who gets yelled at.

It kinda looked like his superior thought MRA dude was a creep, at least. Honestly, my biggest fear for the series is that this is just played off as nothing or, worse, comedy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

http://0x0.st/s1dJ.webm

It's kind of strange emulating the late 80's/early 90's kids' show look, but I don't really mind.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Roland Jones posted:

The creep this episode is a recurring guy too though, I just don't remember his name.

Helter Skelter posted:

I don't remember if we actually got his name.

quote:

Captain Zaitou: Flies boring non-draconic planes, owns a lame non-draconic motorcycle, also a creep.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

The new pilots are good. Zaitou is a creep, but luckily the show seems to realize this. Still not clear what direction the plot is going, but the new character looks like he just might be the main bad guy.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

why doesn't she just fly an actual plane if she hates dragons that much

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

"I'm going to be the first female [JASDF] pilot!" explains it well enough.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

where the red fern gropes posted:

She really wants to fly a fighter jet, but was pushed into the dragon job, and a dragon is technically not a jet. She's real mad about that, even though the dragon is clearly way cooler. Hopefully she gets over it.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I'm not sure how the JSDF works with regards to rank, but all the dragon pilots seem to hold enlisted ranks while all the real jet pilots hold officer ranks.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helter Skelter posted:

She really wants to fly a fighter jet, but was pushed into the dragon job, and a dragon is technically not a jet. She's real mad about that, even though the dragon is clearly way cooler. Hopefully she gets over it.

Yeah, her whole thing seems to be that she wants to be the first female fighter jet pilot, with all her other issues (being overly serious at all times, forcing her dragon to stay in jet form 100% of the time and treating it like an object, trying to prove herself in ways that are unnecessary and counterproductive) stemming from that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The pilots are all very similar to their dragons so I'm guessing Penguins is also incredibly try hard that also hates her but puts up with it for some reason. He can always just stop letting her pilot it

Penguin is full angst but Morris is going to be the one with real anger issues

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, I think Morris being angry about Penguin telling them off for treating their clearly-sentient partners as living things rather than objects and being abusive towards her own is pretty understandable.

Also, I feel bad for F-2. But, for some reason, he(?) picked Penguin and hasn't stopped partnering with her, so. Who knows.

Subtuna
Dec 30, 2008
If anyone is craving HisoMaso merch, both Max Factory and Platz announced that they’re doing kits from the show at Shizuoka

Fingers crossed we get a 48th scale Masotan :3:

Subtuna fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 22, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Loling at the captains creeping from last episode being foreshadowing for the dragons MO. They always pick hosed up young women that become dependent of them.

Also the F2 is totally tsundere just like his pilot. The whole always on hotel or Foxtrot depending on pilot reminds me of the whole hot and cold thing.

e-I have a feeling creepy bureaucrat guy isn't a bad guy despite the show trying its damnedest to make it look all shifty

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 13, 2018

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Subtuna posted:

Fingers crossed we get a 48th scale Masotan :3:

Fingers crossed we get a full-scale Masotan.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Helter Skelter posted:

Hopefully she gets over it.

Guess what? She got over it!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Penguin's naming sense is like Hisone's but evolved.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm glad the dragons and dragon care-takers are happy now and I hope the mystery of the Joa woman is never explained.

The big dragon's face kills me every time it pops onto the screen :3:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

all the girls and their dragons are in the spectrum and its great

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Knorth posted:

I'm glad the dragons and dragon care-takers are happy now and I hope the mystery of the Joa woman is never explained.
She's already got implications so too late for that.

Anime hairstyles are varied enough that having the same style of fringe is significant.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Knorth posted:

The big dragon's face kills me every time it pops onto the screen :3:

Futomomo is easily my favorite dragon because he always looks totally jazzed to be on screen. I just gotta love a big doofus with an even bigger grin.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
At first I was worried, then the episode was actually completely amazing. I won't doubt you again Mari Okada.

I was impressed they used actual pages of recent chapters of Kingdom.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sindai posted:

At first I was worried, then the episode was actually completely amazing. I won't doubt you again Mari Okada.

:same:

I am wondering what kind of trillion-dollar project this Ritual is, that it apparently hinges on the heartbreak of four young women.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Araki posted:

:same:

I am wondering what kind of trillion-dollar project this Ritual is, that it apparently hinges on the heartbreak of four young women.

It's just ~1.4 billion US dollar
Roughly two thirds of the cost are personnel related, so it might be an actual festival since the dragons are meant to bring prosperity?

Maybe it's something weird like raising Japan's odds during the Olympics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
This plot/scheme is weird and that Iiboshi guy makes me uncomfortable. But I like seeing my D-pilots hanging out.

And Hisone's I <3 OTF jumper

HITOMI WHAT THE HECK

• Locked thread