Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd be surprised if like, a character dies or something.

I'd imagine the most tragic way for this show to end would be the whole "love OR work but not both" dichotomy of D-Piloting not being resolved and only continuing to be enforced through the next generation of pilots, and that's a pretty sad thing in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I'm hoping that hoshino and... The guy make up, because it's not like you need to keep piloting after you've guided the elder dragon to its place, right?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
C'mon, the Binden is totally getting eaten. Like, properly eaten.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Raxivace posted:

I'd be surprised if like, a character dies or something.

I'd imagine the most tragic way for this show to end would be the whole "love OR work but not both" dichotomy of D-Piloting not being resolved and only continuing to be enforced through the next generation of pilots, and that's a pretty sad thing in its own right.

Welp.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The ED is almost disturbing with no vocals.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

:smith:

Sindai posted:

Yeah it really does feel off without them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I was wondering if they'd go there with Sada's backstory, and I'm glad they actually did.

Also,

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 23, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
wow

that wasn't a surprise, but

this show is really good

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Sindai posted:

I found it funny since they actually provided the karaoke timing to go along with it.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Aaah that ep ending. This show is good as hell.

Do we have any idea when this'll finally land on Netflix?

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Very excited to see how this ends.

I loved Hisone's powerslide apology.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Spicy grandma's gonna join her girlfriend.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Slightly weird that the show was all about not choosing between things you love but has basically forgotten fighter pilot girl's career goal.

Overall cute and fun show, would watch on Netflix after it's finished airing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caphi posted:

Slightly weird that the show was all about not choosing between things you love but has basically forgotten fighter pilot girl's career goal.

Overall cute and fun show, would watch on Netflix after it's finished airing.

TBF, she can still be a fighter pilot. She just needed to recognise that she’s now lots of other things as well, and those are also worth being.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I love this show to bits but that ending felt unfulfilling and I really didn't like the "I suppose we could be gently caress buddies" line.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

FauxLeather posted:

I love this show to bits but that ending felt unfulfilling and I really didn't like the "I suppose we could be gently caress buddies" line.

She said that because he did.

But yeah I kinda agree about the unfulfilling ending. Really thought Joie would sacrifice herself to be with her Yae-chan, but apparently not.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Zeruel posted:

She said that because he did.

I know. Shrugged it off as a clumsy and overly direct way of expressing forgiveness but it just felt overly vulgar and out of character for her (when sober). This isn't a hill I'd die on though the line just kinda disappointed me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Excluding the lovely guy getting a happy ending I thought that was really good except the last last scene felt a little underwhelming. Overall, excellent show

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yea, shaky landing, but a landing nevertheless. Great VAs and characters, fun concept, cute dragons, fresh art style/aesthetic, but the writing and plot and tempo dragged this down. Can't give it more than 8/10, but well earned.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
One of those shows that didn't really need its big dramatic overarching plot. I think the character comedy in the middle was the best part of the show.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
That was... anticlimactic.

I guess over the years of watching anime I've grown inured to so many of the shows having less than great endings. Still rather sad, though.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Anime is the Stephen King of mediums.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FauxLeather posted:

I really didn't like the "I suppose we could be gently caress buddies" line.

It's her way of saying she likes him without actually admitting it because she's too proud, and his immediate reaction is to confirm that he didn't mean that in earnest when he said it to her, I didn't really see the problem with it.

I thought that was a good ending. Iiboshi gets humbled, Hisone saves the day and comes back, and no one dies in the end, not even Sada.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
It was a good ending, but the wrapping up of Hisone and Masotan escaping was lacking.

How did they escape? Does it matter, ultimately, when the point is that they did what no one thought was possible? Not necessarily. But I think either they should have explained how, shown how, or not have it delayed three months.

So if its just that they COULD because they tried because they decided to not give up anything they loved, that's fine, but they should have shown up the next day. If they only got out just then because Haru showed up with the cellphones, show Masoton bursting out of the rock ground or something like that. Saying "they just could, but only after three months" feels cheap, where saying "they just could" or "it needed the things the two of them loves (Haru and cellphones) at the same time" both feel earned, but it isn't clear at all which one was why.

I don't know that's my :words: written after being up for 21 hours

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I agree, not a perfect ending. In particular, Mitatsu-sama as a plot device felt contrived and poorly fleshed out. Everyone is super convinced that somebody has to be sacrificed in order to stop some giant dragon from destroying Japan, but it's never explained why that dragon needs a sacrifice, or why it has to be a Shinto ritual, or exactly how Mitatsu-sama is going to destroy Japan. Up until the halfway point (Hisone's "Who decided that!?" speech in particular), I was sure it was going in a much more drastic direction, in which they outright reject Mitatsu-sama and his dumb, outdated ways. The fact that they went for some generic hero-sacrifices-self plot beat instead went against the theme they seemed to be going for.

Anyway, more words once I've had some time to think about this.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I enjoyed this series and will be happy to watch many episodes of it again, though perhaps not the whole thing again. The show really was at its best when it was laid back doing goofy things with its goofy characters, in hindsight choosing to have a larger plot may have been a mistake. This is the sort of show where I hope they dump out another episode with the BD release where absolutely nothing important happens.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Araki posted:

I agree, not a perfect ending. In particular, Mitatsu-sama as a plot device felt contrived and poorly fleshed out. Everyone is super convinced that somebody has to be sacrificed in order to stop some giant dragon from destroying Japan, but it's never explained why that dragon needs a sacrifice, or why it has to be a Shinto ritual, or exactly how Mitatsu-sama is going to destroy Japan. Up until the halfway point (Hisone's "Who decided that!?" speech in particular), I was sure it was going in a much more drastic direction, in which they outright reject Mitatsu-sama and his dumb, outdated ways. The fact that they went for some generic hero-sacrifices-self plot beat instead went against the theme they seemed to be going for.

I think the thing that bugged me most of all was that they even acknowledged that it didn't have to be the Chosen Priestess who stuck the knife in the pool, so as far as I could tell they could easily just have set up a machine to do it remotely or on a timer or something and avoided the whole human sacrifice bit entirely.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
To be fair, the only way to experiment and see if all the Shinto ritual stuff isn't required will kill thousands of people if it turns out it was.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 2, 2018

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sindai posted:

To be fair, the only way to experiment and see if all the Shinto ritual stuff isn't required will kill thousands of people if it turns out it was.

Hisone to Maso-tan: "Nuke the loving dragon Hisone!"

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

Araki posted:

I think this last episode was a fantastic ending for a fantastic show. After giving it some thought I feel I have to disagree with your complaint about Mitatsu-sama being a poorly fleshed out plot contrivance. Mind you, I don't disagree with that assessment, Mitatsu-sama was a poorly fleshed out plot contrivance, but I think that was the point. He was the contrivance that necessitated the existence of the other dragons which provided us with the fundamental character relationships in the show, as well as the shrine maidens which provided us with a foil for our protagonist, and the final act crisis which served to illustrate the growth of our protagonist. I don't know that the "Why?" of it is that important.

Now, I like intricate world-building in my anime as much as the next person, but in the case of this show I feel I have to carefully temper my desire for more information with the realization that asking for more of that means getting less of something else. And, in a show that is as character driven as this one, that would mean less character beats which, to me, would do the show a greater disservice than knowing the details behind a giant narcoleptic dragon.
Even the characters in the show don't seem to dwell on the why very hard; for them Mitatstu-sama is a Situation that has to be dealt with, and they have a Plan to do so. End of story. On that note, I found it hilarious that Hisone basically invalidated centuries of ritual by demonstrating that a) Mitatsu -sama doesn't need to be put to sleep and b) Anybody can plunge the wedge into the dimesional vortex. So, uh, thanks Shrine Maidens, but it looks like we don't really need your services.

At the end of day, the show wasn't called "D-Pilot Fighting Girls Squad" or 'The Shrine Maiden's Dilemma", it was called "Hisone & Masotan" and it was always going to land back and serve those two. For me this was a story about an endearingly earnest, if somewhat lost, girl which quickly became a story about that same girl and a dragon, which then became a story about that same girl and her dragon ( Which I think was perfectly described by Haru when he said " I think that there might not be even a single thing in this world that can be taken for granted ". ) Given that, I can certainly forgive any nebulousness around a dragon that wakes up for one day every 70 years, flips upside down and goes to sleep again.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

FauxLeather posted:

She said it as a quote to him, to get him to realize why she was pissed at him, not as a suggestion.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Mitatsu-sama really didn't need any more fleshing out, it worked perfectly well as a situation that Hisone and Masotan needed to make an impossible choice in, and that they managed to choose the even more impossible option, it's just the wrapping up of it that was a bit weak. Considering the stakes of the mission, I would have been perfectly willing to accept that the solution was as easy as them being able to escape by flying out, and no one knew that because no one was ever willing to risk leaving one of the four dragons needed to guide Mitatsu-sama to the location inside of it when they did the sealing ritual. They just don't give us anything about what the solution was which feels like they couldn't think of one.

Anora posted:

She said it as a quote to him, to get him to realize why she was pissed at him, not as a suggestion.

he knows why she was pissed at him though, he did it intentionally to make it so she wouldn't get dissolved by her dragon while they tried to save Japan

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GodFish posted:

Mitatsu-sama really didn't need any more fleshing out, it worked perfectly well as a situation that Hisone and Masotan needed to make an impossible choice in, and that they managed to choose the even more impossible option, it's just the wrapping up of it that was a bit weak. Considering the stakes of the mission, I would have been perfectly willing to accept that the solution was as easy as them being able to escape by flying out, and no one knew that because no one was ever willing to risk leaving one of the four dragons needed to guide Mitatsu-sama to the location inside of it when they did the sealing ritual. They just don't give us anything about what the solution was which feels like they couldn't think of one.

he knows why she was pissed at him though, he did it intentionally to make it so she wouldn't get dissolved by her dragon while they tried to save Japan

Yeah, but she didn’t know that and needed him to explain it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, but she didn’t know that and needed him to explain it.

no, she started that conversation off with saying she knew why he did it

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

The_White_Crane posted:

I think the thing that bugged me most of all was that they even acknowledged that it didn't have to be the Chosen Priestess who stuck the knife in the pool, so as far as I could tell they could easily just have set up a machine to do it remotely or on a timer or something and avoided the whole human sacrifice bit entirely.
I mean, the whole operation is under the direction of the Imperial Household Agency. I don't think there's an organization in the world more likely to respond to objections that their plan is dumb/is badly outdated in execution and could easily be streamlined and modernized/requires a human sacrifice by saying "THIS IS THE TRADITIONAL WAY" and refusing to change anything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought it was a perfectly decent ending.

The only thing real criticism I have of the show is that the big overarching plot feels a bit derivative of Final Fantasy X to me, but I like Final Fantasy X so its hardly some damning criticism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The whole thing makes a lot more sense when you realise the whole thing with Mitatsu is just the ‘White Lovers’ idea on a grand scale - the idea that a woman must sacrifice everything for her job/destined partner. Hisone was just going ‘no, gently caress off, you possessive jerk’, and not giving him his hot-water bottle before she tucked him in.

As for how they got out, it seems fairly obvious that they just tunnelled out through sheer brute force because Masotan is a loving dragon, and because a friendship isn’t a sacrifice, it’s empowerment. It isn’t even the first insane feat of strength we saw them pull this episode - remember the thing with the ropes?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm catching up on HisoMaso and this grandma is so spicy!

also here's a thing

Knorth fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Probably pointless to update the thread at this point but Japan's first female fighter pilot just finished her qualifications:

https://japantoday.com/category/national/breaking-barriers-japan-gets-first-woman-fighter-pilot

:unsmith: inspired by top gun

• Locked thread