Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

This is the thread for Hisone to Masotan, a.k.a. HisoMaso, a.k.a. Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan, an original anime created by Bones and airing on Netflix.

This show is about a secret division of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force focused on cute girls piloting cute dragons. The first episode was pretty good, so I'm looking forward to more!

Hisone Amakasu, blabbermouth rookie in the Japan Air Self-Defense Force. Uses flip phones.

Masotan, ancient dragon Organic Transforming Flier and F-15J cosplayer. Eats flip phones.

Nao Kaizaki, one of the D-Pilots. Elementary school punk wannabe. Has a crush on Ikushima.

The other Dragon pilots! From left to right, there's the intense Penguin, the motherly Morris, and the lethargic Jimmy.

The other dragons.

Hiroshi Sosoda and Remi Kakiyasu: Run the OTF Division. Don't take no for an answer.

Vice-Director Ikushima: Designs the pilot suits, is a creep.

Captain Zaitou: Flies boring non-draconic planes, owns a lame non-draconic motorcycle, also a creep.

Haruto Okonogi: Baby-faced maintenance officer. Smokes to try to play up the gap, but fails hard.

Yakult Lady: Actually has a name, so we will be seeing more of her in the future.

Yakult Joa: Delicious Yakult. Comes in orange and strawberry flavors.

cave emperor fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I was thinking of putting a vore joke in the OP, but then I was like, nah, that would be creepy and weird, wouldn't want to be creepy and weird on the Something Awful forums, haha,

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Good second episode!

I'm still not sure where the show is going to go, plot-wise. Given the real-world, present-day setting, a military conflict with another country would be too controversial, so maybe they're going to fight (and ultimately tame) wild dragons? Then again, I'm fine with this being a Cute Girls Riding Cute Dragons show for now.

I also loved the ED, despite the terrible French accent. Requesting gifs.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

No product placement this week. Looks like we'll meet the rest of the pilots next episode.

Some notes about the naming: Hisone's last name is Amakasu (甘粕). The first kanji means "sweet", which is how Moriyama came up with the first nickname. The second kanji does indeed mean "scrap" or "waste". Remi Kakiyasu's last name starts with the kanji for persimmon (柿), which apparently used to be her TAC name.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Roland Jones posted:

The creep this episode is a recurring guy too though, I just don't remember his name.

Helter Skelter posted:

I don't remember if we actually got his name.

quote:

Captain Zaitou: Flies boring non-draconic planes, owns a lame non-draconic motorcycle, also a creep.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

The new pilots are good. Zaitou is a creep, but luckily the show seems to realize this. Still not clear what direction the plot is going, but the new character looks like he just might be the main bad guy.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Subtuna posted:

Fingers crossed we get a 48th scale Masotan :3:

Fingers crossed we get a full-scale Masotan.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sindai posted:

At first I was worried, then the episode was actually completely amazing. I won't doubt you again Mari Okada.

:same:

I am wondering what kind of trillion-dollar project this Ritual is, that it apparently hinges on the heartbreak of four young women.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Man, that was a lot of plot in one episode. I'm glad they're finally getting to the actual story, but they could've spaced it out a bit more.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

By the way, can someone ask the mod to change the title of this thread to something less dumb, like just the title of the show or whatever? Cheers.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

That said, that did seem to be the point. Just look at how they structured the new OP. Mainly the same stuff we’d seen and heard before, with a few subtle differences, then a hard-right turn into ‘wait, what?’.

I noticed right away that they changed the text at the start from "The girl crosses the far-off sky" to "The girl hesitates before the far-off sky".

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I really like this show, pacing issues aside. Also some of the plot points don't make a lot of sense (if it's essential that your pilots stay emotionally stable, why try to set up Hisone with Okonogi in the first place?), but I'm willing to wait and see how it turns out.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

Same reason you inoculate people from a disease. The minister wanted to create a doomed romance under controlled conditions rather than risking one coming out of nowhere.

It's the "controlled conditions" part that gets me though, because they did a super half-assed job of controlling anything.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Raxivace posted:

This show is good and cute and I listen to the ED every time. :hai:

Easily the best ED of the season, probably the best ED of 2018. Will not be reading replies to this post.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sexy Jaguar :unsmith:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Very excited to see how this ends.

I loved Hisone's powerslide apology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I agree, not a perfect ending. In particular, Mitatsu-sama as a plot device felt contrived and poorly fleshed out. Everyone is super convinced that somebody has to be sacrificed in order to stop some giant dragon from destroying Japan, but it's never explained why that dragon needs a sacrifice, or why it has to be a Shinto ritual, or exactly how Mitatsu-sama is going to destroy Japan. Up until the halfway point (Hisone's "Who decided that!?" speech in particular), I was sure it was going in a much more drastic direction, in which they outright reject Mitatsu-sama and his dumb, outdated ways. The fact that they went for some generic hero-sacrifices-self plot beat instead went against the theme they seemed to be going for.

Anyway, more words once I've had some time to think about this.

• Locked thread