Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online is a spin-off set in the GGO game from the 2nd season of the SAO anime, a kind of an FPSMMO, adapted from a light novel series written by Keiichi Sigsawa (Kino's Journey)
It does not feature any characters from the main series.

You do not need to know anything about the Sword Art Online series/franchise beforehand, the first 2 episodes explain what little there is to know about the setting that is relevant.

The main heroine is a shy university student who has a complex about her tall height in the real world. Due to her extreme height, she found it hard to make friends with other girls her age. She tries various VR games and begins playing Gun Gale Online thanks to the small-statured avatar it gives her. Can she find friendship in this bullet-ridden MMO?

This is a story of LLENN and her pink P90 submachine gun P-chan.

You can watch it on Crunchyroll here
New episodes come out on Saturdays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The rumors say if you dare walk into the pink desert without pink camo a midget will loving end you.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
those who dare, win

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
lol at the conversation near the end: "I'll do my best to kill":downs:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Here's a shocking revelation

This isn't written by Reki Kawahara

It's been good so far

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The first ep was basically just a PUBG match, for good and ill, but I really loved the second. Like the characters, like the dynamics they're setting up, like the whole premise of the show being "hey let's all chill out and shoot guns online and see if you can win a bet to score an IRL meeting with the hot catsuit lady."

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I like it when a show about a game actually devoted an episode to just folks playing the game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Definitely like what they’re doing with Pito. She’s the ruthless, bloodthirsty rival tempting the heroine into an eternity of slaughter... and none of that matters in the slightest because this is just a game, so they’re just friends who are going up against each other because they think it’d be fun.

I really hope they stick with that, and don’t introduce the kind of stakes that SAO is (in)famous for. Or, if they have to up the stakes (boo), I hope they keep Pito on the side of the angels.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Darth Walrus posted:

I really hope they stick with that, and don’t introduce the kind of stakes that SAO is (in)famous for. Or, if they have to up the stakes (boo), I hope they keep Pito on the side of the angels.

Yeah there's about a hundred ways this could go off the rails. I'm with you on this: please keep this thing cute and light.

Enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would so far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If it approaches things like Gundam Build Fighters where things are incredibly serious because people play it for fun then we should be good.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Show is good, hopefully it will remain so and there will be no mention of Kirito or any of the other mainline series to derail it.

They should just keep doing these for all the different games. The new Isekai is just people playing different VRMMOs.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Spiritus Nox posted:

The first ep was basically just a PUBG match, for good and ill, but I really loved the second.

I laughed out loud a couple of times in the first episode when M basically called out common sense squad Pubg/BR tactics, and I thought they were generally clever about a lot the concepts they introduced

Gonna keep watching I guess

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gotta narrate for the audience's benefit

pubg is pretty big in japan, i remember seeing it being used to advertise desktops

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

gotta narrate for the audience's benefit

pubg is pretty big in japan, i remember seeing it being used to advertise desktops

Amusingly the LN that this is based on came out in 2014, before H1Z1, PUBG and all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Conot posted:

Amusingly the LN that this is based on came out in 2014, before H1Z1, PUBG and all.

Has PUBG tried to sue the author yet?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The idea of all of these games having randomized avatars is just weird. Especially with VR, where the player completely becomes the character rather than just looking at them on a screen. Who would put something like that into their game when it serves no purpose but to drive players away if they don’t like the avatar they were assigned?

Unless maybe character customization is an expensive cash-shop feature? I suppose that would be a depressingly-believable thing for MMO developers to do.

Still, it’s a fun show. Kirito is the element that normally drags SAO stories into the gutter and since he’s not around, I have high hopes for this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It came up in original GGO like once that people are willing to pay for accounts purely for their avatars. That's one of the scant few things about the original that made any sense at all.

Well, that and that GGO itself was just blatantly being used for money laundering :v:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Bakeneko posted:

The idea of all of these games having randomized avatars is just weird. Especially with VR, where the player completely becomes the character rather than just looking at them on a screen. Who would put something like that into their game when it serves no purpose but to drive players away if they don’t like the avatar they were assigned?

Unless maybe character customization is an expensive cash-shop feature? I suppose that would be a depressingly-believable thing for MMO developers to do.

Still, it’s a fun show. Kirito is the element that normally drags SAO stories into the gutter and since he’s not around, I have high hopes for this.

I touched a bit on this in the Season thread, but from a game design perspective this is actually brilliant in multiple ways, aside from the obvious money-making reasons. Times change, but whales will always be whales.

First consider the real-world example today: VRChat. A select few make custom avatars, general users just choose from a bunch of these presets. There is variation and simplicity in balance, pretty much spot on for first generation VR.

Going further, in this game the VR device collects biometric data on the user in a way no gaming device today is capable of. This opens an option for an AI to crunch that data and, based on a range of your values, to give you a you avatar, based on you. This, for a general user, actually feels pretty cool and interesting, in the same way you are just born as you are. Some people choose to get surgery to change, some work their bodies to become something else, and all of that is still available in VR after the initial character creation. But the game dev goal should always be get players into the game, your game, as quickly and effectively and conveniently as possible, and this may just be the best way to do this, even if you did have the power and systems to offer full customization to users upfront.

On a simpler psychology level, giving users more choice doesn't necessarily equate to a better user experience. People are actually quite bad at knowing what makes them happy, and having people sink hours into creating their initial avatar only to be dissatisfied and quit without even playing the game would be terrible for this 2nd generation of VR. It took MMOs several generations to develop the systems to allow more freedom for this customization, we can presume the same will happen in VR.

And another way to think about it: gear. In today's MMOs, you start with a basic tunic and
sword. Why? Because the game knows you are the new player and dresses you accordingly, and as you play you acquire gear and clothes to your taste. Same concept here with VR, only instead of just knowing "you are new", the game knows your biometric profile and starts you with an appropriate avatar that can then be customized to taste as you play the game. Obviously systems can be included to satisfy the extreme users that want drastically custom changes, at a nice profit.

In this show we are shown the extreme case of our MC wanting to specifically play a character rather than a game, so we see her amusing troubles finding the game to play, but this isn't the normal user experience.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 17, 2018

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
PUBG is just Battle Royale from wayback in the year 2000.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Didn't they establish that if you don't like your character's appearance you can just restart? Seems kind of pointless to force randomization if can just do a reset marathon until you get something you like.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zettace posted:

Didn't they establish that if you don't like your character's appearance you can just restart? Seems kind of pointless to force randomization if can just do a reset marathon until you get something you like.

That's the mobage way.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Zettace posted:

It sounded implied that there would be a cost associated with this, but transferring to different games was free.

Or her trauma was so bad that she just didn't want to play the game anymore after seeing what the game handed her.

Or

chumbler posted:

That's the mobage way.

the power of gatcha

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

AnacondaHL posted:

Or her trauma was so bad that she just didn't want to play the game anymore after seeing what the game handed her.

It was this one, I'm pretty sure.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah that's the impression I got too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Watched the first couple eps of this with a friend the other night after he talked up the first ep. It was pretty good! I too hope it keeps up a lighter tone, or at least saves the Serious Plot for just the last couple eps.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

The Serious Plot for the final episodes will be when a bug causes LLENN's character height to get inverted and she gets extremely tall.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

cathead posted:

The Serious Plot for the final episodes will be when a bug causes LLENN's character height to get inverted and she gets extremely tall.

Only if we also get Tiny Pito

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

When is somebody going to 360 noscope is the real question here.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

chumbler posted:

When is somebody going to 360 noscope is the real question here.

The only sniper on the team is a tacticool tryhard unfortunately.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The only sniper on the team is a tacticool tryhard unfortunately.

What I’m reading is that he has yet to be converted to LLENN’s gospel.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Calling out compass headings and grid coordinates is really fun.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Episode 4 title: Death Game

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, that’s one of the more amusing self-inserts I’ve seen in a while.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Those are some weird things to say in a fan letter, but the plot demands it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
No way Pito isn't Elsa after that episode, nice catch.

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, that’s one of the more amusing self-inserts I’ve seen in a while.
I can't believe Keiichi Sigsawa literally invented the battle royale shooter genre.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 21, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You can tell he’s having fun with the setting and that’s always a good sign.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I cant believe my giant kohai is a pker

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is it that big an issue in GGO? I was under the impression ganking people in the wastelands was part of the point.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Competitive pvp brings out the worst in people.

Ganking is still a dick move no matter how part of the system it is :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20VaiKhYQ9U

• Locked thread