Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Crain posted:

Wait, aren't those the same ones who were in her apartment watching her on Not-Twitch in the cold opening of the first episode?

Maybe she ends up wiping them and they become fans because of that and that's why they're hanging out later.

Conservation of Cast could have this be the case. Haven't heard enough of them talking to make it really obvious though.

Or they could be the super elite dudes using Squad Jam as a training- no no, too few members. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I'm loving how this innocent girl became a notorious PKer all because the tutorial taught her PEOPLE WILL KILL YOU and she cuted up her uniform. Man, this is so much better than the actual SAO.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I feel like match fixing/debt is a little unlikely, because remember these matches are being broadcast live as an ~esport~, so whoever you're fleecing would see M read a note and then suddenly TK his team and probably raise an eyebrow.

SAO Survivor seems likely, but might be a bit too dark for the largely lighthearted series, which leaves being scared of Pito kicking his rear end.

Also, sadly for the "M is actually a tiny chou kawaii girl IRL" theory, established SAO-verse cannon is that Seed games don't let you play an opposing gender because Reki Kawahara doesn't like trans people/probably got catfished once in an online game when he was 14/said so.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Could still be a smol boy though

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i got the impression m has shot guns in real life so i doupt hes a kid. he just seems to be inherently a giant coward.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 3, 2018

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Conot posted:

Reki Kawahara doesn't like trans people/probably got catfished once in an online game when he was 14/said so.

Wasn't there something in the novels about Kirito getting gender dysphoria from his super-bishie GGO avatar, too?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Wasn't there something in the novels about Kirito getting gender dysphoria from his super-bishie GGO avatar, too?

I dunno about the novels, but the established reason why they don't let you play opposite genders is because of causing dysphoria yeah.

How body dysphoria wouldn't affect someone given a tiny 3ft tall avatar is an awkward question but in Llenn's case it's an upgrade so.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

There are a few lines in Fatal Bullet which imply that it’s possible to choose your avatar’s gender in that version of GGO, but it takes place in a separate continuity from the manga and anime so maybe the rules are just different.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Bakeneko posted:

There are a few lines in Fatal Bullet which imply that it’s possible to choose your avatar’s gender in that version of GGO, but it takes place in a separate continuity from the manga and anime so maybe the rules are just different.

Gameverse is an upgrade across the board, it's much more chill and focused on having a good time.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Conot posted:

Also, sadly for the "M is actually a tiny chou kawaii girl IRL" theory, established SAO-verse cannon is that Seed games don't let you play an opposing gender because Reki Kawahara doesn't like trans people/probably got catfished once in an online game when he was 14/said so.

Which is really strange because right at the beginning of SAO, they were perfectly capable of cross-gender avatars. You were even able to design your characters to look the way you want.

The Seed games seem to be either cut-down enough that it's no longer possible or they've made it a "premium" option of sorts (have to pay for a new copy of the game to generate a new random avatar - remarkably realistic now that I think about it).

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I recall hearing that apparently avatar customization is a (cash?) shop thing in GGO/ALO and there was I-forget-which-other-game that had it stock.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Latest episode is excellent. Shonen bullshit gunplay and good gags.
Hallucination P-chan! VSS!

The show is better than I ever could have hoped.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
:agreed:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like I was sold on this episode being good with the final fight being so good but the post credit scene just made it even more great

Amazon team being small school kids and liking Karen cause she was tall was great plus the two promising to fight again in GGO was A+ fight build up

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like the low res model, 2 frames of animation part. It has to have been intentional since that's common in games.

Episode is good. Grenades that are literal tiny suns is good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 5, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Today's episode was loving fantastic, goddamn. P-chan the hero, LLENN knifing what's-her-name, and the reveal that those small girls we've been seeing IRL are Team Amazon were all goddamn excellent.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lol I can't believe how good this is

P-chan is best girl

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I had the same reaction lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Well it's to be expected of what is basically anime Commando.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Hi, I just started watching this and apparently 36(37) of these loving SAO clones don't let you make your own avatar?
What the gently caress happens to the F2P VRMMO market in the future!?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/PeterFobian/status/992839109730156544

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sword Art Online Alternative: "This isn't Sword Art Online."

Really drat fun episode. This was exactly what we wanted to see, just a whole episode length running fight scene. Llenn was great, P-chan was great and the Amazon team were good opponents.

So I guess Pito may really be as crazy and sadistic as the OP makes her out to be, huh? I'm a tad worried, I'm liking this series for just being a straight up show about playing a game so if it does get all death gamey that may ruin it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Sword Art Online Alternative: "This isn't Sword Art Online."

Really drat fun episode. This was exactly what we wanted to see, just a whole episode length running fight scene. Llenn was great, P-chan was great and the Amazon team were good opponents.

So I guess Pito may really be as crazy and sadistic as the OP makes her out to be, huh? I'm a tad worried, I'm liking this series for just being a straight up show about playing a game so if it does get all death gamey that may ruin it.

I’m hoping it’s an amusing overreaction on M’s part because he’s a great big pansy IRL. His breakdown was kind of played for laughs.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I love this stupid, dumb show.

I hope they keep it light hearted and don’t make Pito into an IRL psycho killer.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think the show's gonna take a turn for the super serious

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pito is an idol, not a killer

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

even worse

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
It would be a rather large narrative twist for it turn out that Pitohui is a real world murderer. I think it’s much more likely that she’s just someone who uses hyperbolic language and that M’s player is a huge wuss. But there’s enough wiggle room within the structure of narrative to allow for either one. My two cents is that the show is going to go for a “the game is important because it’s fun” theme rather than something more sinister, though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I almost fell out of my chair at the talking P-Chan complete with sloppy anime eyes.

This show is turning out better than it has any right to be.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

http://s.mxtv.jp/anime/gungale_online/episode.php
Next week: Episode 5.5
Is this a sign of production problems? :ohdear:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tamba posted:

http://s.mxtv.jp/anime/gungale_online/episode.php
Next week: Episode 5.5
Is this a sign of production problems? :ohdear:

They may use it as a time to have Karen talk to her high schooler friends as a recap.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That episode was incredibly amazing and I feel privileged to have seen it. Nothing like a gobmacking episode to slap the taste of (unrelated) disappointment out of your mouth. The final fight there was literally a jaw-dropper for me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mangadex has a couple chapters of the manga up. It runs a little differently than the show so far, but only chapters up to first meeting M are translated, so no real spoilers.

It uhhh certainly recontextualizes LLENN and Pito.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Literally half the game is Kirito. You have to go to Kirito's room to do anything. Kirito's room is the main hub.

That being said the gameplay itself is a decent third person shooter.

Jarakchan
Mar 17, 2009

Please don't try to trick anyone into playing Fatal Bullet. As someone who gave it way more time than it deserved, the gameplay peaks at mediocre but spends most of it's time at boring. Also, despite being able to make your own player character, the story is a million percent about how cool Kirito and his harem are.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

chumbler posted:

Mangadex has a couple chapters of the manga up. It runs a little differently than the show so far, but only chapters up to first meeting M are translated, so no real spoilers.

OK, yeah Pito is definitely evil as gently caress. That face when they make their promise is uh, a bit different from the anime version.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

chumbler posted:

So... did LLENN just shoot a guy's head off and stuff a plasma grenade inside him or something? :stare:

All in all, I guess tone shift is not off the table.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

So... did LLENN just shoot a guy's head off and stuff a plasma grenade inside him or something? :stare:

All in all, I guess tone shift is not off the table.

Then again, it may just be an extension of the whole ‘we can afford to get away with grotesque ultraviolence because none of this is real and nobody’s getting hurt’ thing that this show shares with Gundam Build Fighters.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I picked this up on a while and I'm really enjoying it. I generally don't care for Tacticool, but the mix of Very Serious Action and cute, low-stakes framework is really working for me.

LLENN and M make a really fun odd couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Then again, it may just be an extension of the whole ‘we can afford to get away with grotesque ultraviolence because none of this is real and nobody’s getting hurt’ thing that this show shares with Gundam Build Fighters.

Yeah I still believe it's this, not Pito is a secret murderer or something.

• Locked thread