Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

chumbler posted:

I'm alright with the recap since we get Pito commenting on everything and generally being awful. Also I had missed in the first episode that the JSDF or whatever team also didn't have bullet lines.

The true heroes of machine gun team getting the theme music was a good goof.
Yeah, as recap episodes go, I think this one is pretty alright. The little 4koma-esque bits at the end were legit really fun.

Even in the recap episode this show knows how to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsuQ7TF7rIk

I would pay for this to be all sound effects in this show.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A recap 5 episodes in seems dumb.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ijyt posted:

A recap 5 episodes in seems dumb.

It’s usually a sign that the team is pushing themselves pretty hard and needs to take extra time to get everything up to scratch - and let’s be honest here, there’s been some fairly wild animation in these last few episodes. A recap’s better than someone dying or the production going full Wizard Barristers.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It also gave us some extra characterization for Pito and M and appears to give some setup for the next arc.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So new episode gives us our setup for I'm assuming the rest of the season. Could be worse.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I liked the running gag of everyone gets way too close to Karen. Also Pito is insane and M is an idiot.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dang M is pretty bishie

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was kind of hoping Karen would just think this is too much and walk away from this.

But Pito is totally gonna go full crazy before SJ2 is over with M right behind her and that has potential to be amazing.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There's a certain quality to this show I'm having issues pinning down a specific word to that makes the whole thing work. It's mostly a comedy, but it's not really a parody of SAO or anything, it's just got this sort of... I don't know, irreverence with the base material that just works. It's self-aware that the plot beats are dumb, and it does just enough to make that dumb entertaining without it being really silly about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a show that's mostly just having fun with its basic concept

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

There's a certain quality to this show I'm having issues pinning down a specific word to that makes the whole thing work. It's mostly a comedy, but it's not really a parody of SAO or anything, it's just got this sort of... I don't know, irreverence with the base material that just works. It's self-aware that the plot beats are dumb, and it does just enough to make that dumb entertaining without it being really silly about it.

good writing

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ahahaha. Pito is a Laughing Coffin groupie.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I cant believe p-chan the first was really dead

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The P-chan song was great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I cant believe p-chan the first was really dead

P-chan lives on.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, just putting it out there, but we've only got M's word...and he admits he "isn't right in the head"...about anything regarding Pito's motives. I mean I think we can take it as read at this point that Pito is Elsa Kanzaki, which could pretty easily make M a stalker fan who's just obsessed with Elsa and all the stuff with her threatening him and the like just happening in his head. Heck, he could have written the note himself.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I feel like Pito is one of those “I’ll literally die” types, and INTJ M takes it literally.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think m is just overexaggerating because he's an awkward dork

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope its that and once LLENN meets up with her IRL she'll be "No, god no. That idiot takes things way too literally"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ijyt posted:

I feel like Pito is one of those “I’ll literally die” types, and INTJ M takes it literally.

The Colonel posted:

i think m is just overexaggerating because he's an awkward dork

Yeah, they spend a lot of time this episode emphasizing how M is a loving weirdo who doesn't know how to read social cues at all - see all the scenes where he gets directly into LLENN's personal space - so it feels like almost a given that M is taking Pito being upset about missing out on things a lot more seriously than is probably warranted.

She probably got upset when she had a schedule conflict for the first one, went "AGH IF I CAN'T MAKE IT TO THIS SQUAD JAM IM GONNA FUCKIN KILL SOMEONE AND THEN SHOOT MYSELF" in frustration, and M took it as gospel because he's a weirdo. I can't see it any other way because despite LLENN awakening to how fun it is to pwn people in online games I don't see her being able to connect on a personal level to someone who would literally murder someone over a video game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/997903320537817088

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kanos posted:

see all the scenes where he gets directly into LLENN's personal space

You might be right, and I'd honestly prefer it that way, but everyone did that to her this episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's an article about Sigsawa that explains a bunch of things, like how the end of episode 5.5 was part of a two decade running gag of his: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/fe...rnative/.131536

He also apparently wrote one or more episodes of Lupin part V, so look forward to that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Onean posted:

You might be right, and I'd honestly prefer it that way, but everyone did that to her this episode.

That's true, but it's a little different when children or close friends violate your personal space as opposed to a grown man you've just met who is also a stranger and possibly a stalker.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lol wait did M never actually get around to explaining how he found Karen?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Lol wait did M never actually get around to explaining how he found Karen?

Nope!

But if Pitou really is Elsa, and I think they've made it very obvious she is, then it could be intepreted from the fan letters she keeps sending to elsa.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kanos posted:

I can't see it any other way because despite LLENN awakening to how fun it is to pwn people in online games I don't see her being able to connect on a personal level to someone who would literally murder someone over a video game.

There is one way but it requires interpreting Pito as Elsa in a similar status to the high-stress japanese idol industry. IE: she's 100% serious about the joy of being able to let loose in an online environment and PK the heck out of people because the pressure on her is that intense.

It would also match with the sub-theme of 'people using VRMMO's to get past RL hangups' that's been pretty steady. Karen had height issues, the Gym team had teamwork issues, M is a weirdo and Pito craves the thrill of PKing.

I mean, if Elsa = Pito then there's plenty of juxtaposition between Elsa's song and what Pito's said, so why not go all in on it?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

There is one way but it requires interpreting Pito as Elsa in a similar status to the high-stress japanese idol industry. IE: she's 100% serious about the joy of being able to let loose in an online environment and PK the heck out of people because the pressure on her is that intense.

It would also match with the sub-theme of 'people using VRMMO's to get past RL hangups' that's been pretty steady. Karen had height issues, the Gym team had teamwork issues, M is a weirdo and Pito craves the thrill of PKing.

I mean, if Elsa = Pito then there's plenty of juxtaposition between Elsa's song and what Pito's said, so why not go all in on it?

No, I mean the way M frames it Pito is going to literally IRL kill someone(M) and then herself. I don't see LLENN/Karen being able to be friends with someone who would be an actual murderer. She's already connected with Pito over the love of PKing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Reading that ANN article about Sigsawa I kinda get the feeling he's the kind of guy that would indeed find it funny to make the MC friends with an idol with an actual murderboner.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I guess they could play it for laughs, but it feels to me like a big theme of the show is using the fantasy release provided by GGO to help come to terms with and accept yourself in reality, and wanting to get killed for real in a video game is pretty much running away from reality as hard and as fast as you can.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

jng2058 posted:

You know, just putting it out there, but we've only got M's word...and he admits he "isn't right in the head"...about anything regarding Pito's motives. I mean I think we can take it as read at this point that Pito is Elsa Kanzaki, which could pretty easily make M a stalker fan who's just obsessed with Elsa and all the stuff with her threatening him and the like just happening in his head. Heck, he could have written the note himself.
I don't see how M can be a stalker-fan that doesn't have a relationship with Elsa. It's obvious Elsa is Pito and they found Karen through the letter she wrote about being extra-tall for a girl and how the music...etc. He probably works for Elsa in some capacity and has access to her fan mail though that relationship. In all likelihood, Elsa knows that Karen is LLENN already too.

I keep wondering how the team of six tiny Japanese girls were all able to get hulking GGO characters though. You'd think that out of the six, one or two would be either a normal or smaller height. They got really lucky if it took Karen 37 tries to get her tiny-self in GGO.

The overall theme of the show does seem to be: You have real-life problems? Sure you do. Work them out in a video game. What's interesting is the scope of the problems. Karen's and the team-of-six short girls would likely be considered fairly minor. Elsa and M would likely be consider pretty high up on the crazy-scale.

As far as Elsa *really* killing herself and/or M because of whatever. I kind of doubt that she'd actually really kill anyone, but M seems to believe it. That could be part of his crazy, but we don't really know. I'm hoping we'll find out more about how serious Elsa/Pito is about murder/suicide in the near future.

Also, what's up with the friend, Miyu Shinohara, at the end of the last episode? Is her character Fukaziroh? Is she famous and I somehow missed all this? She seems pretty confident, but the whole thing seems to have come from out of nowhere.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Roughly half of team Amazon's avatars are relatively slender adult women and the other half are big bulky women. That seems about right. I imagine avatars like LLENN are pretty rare in GGO, given the game's post-apocalyptic super gritty aesthetic and the fact that lots of other characters remark on her tiny size with surprise as though they're not used to opponents that small.

Miyu is super confident because she's the enormous VR game nerd who got Karen into playing these games to begin with so she probably assumes that her super nerdy VR gamer skills will be enough to make her foes tremble in terror. Fukaziroh is probably her VR game handle, like LLENN is Karen's.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 21, 2018

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dan7el posted:

I keep wondering how the team of six tiny Japanese girls were all able to get hulking GGO characters though. You'd think that out of the six, one or two would be either a normal or smaller height. They got really lucky if it took Karen 37 tries to get her tiny-self in GGO.

It was 37 tries in different games, but we don't have to assume each game has an equal random character generation algorithm. For example, due to the nature of GGO (PVP killing with guns), perhaps they intentionally skew the difference between real life attributes and in-game build to force psychological separation, where some other benign Stardew Valley VR-esque game might intentionally make avatars more similar to real life.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dan7el posted:

I don't see how M can be a stalker-fan that doesn't have a relationship with Elsa. It's obvious Elsa is Pito and they found Karen through the letter she wrote about being extra-tall for a girl and how the music...etc. He probably works for Elsa in some capacity and has access to her fan mail though that relationship. In all likelihood, Elsa knows that Karen is LLENN already too.

The overall theme of the show does seem to be: You have real-life problems? Sure you do. Work them out in a video game. What's interesting is the scope of the problems. Karen's and the team-of-six short girls would likely be considered fairly minor. Elsa and M would likely be consider pretty high up on the crazy-scale.

As far as Elsa *really* killing herself and/or M because of whatever. I kind of doubt that she'd actually really kill anyone, but M seems to believe it. That could be part of his crazy, but we don't really know. I'm hoping we'll find out more about how serious Elsa/Pito is about murder/suicide in the near future.

Also, what's up with the friend, Miyu Shinohara, at the end of the last episode? Is her character Fukaziroh? Is she famous and I somehow missed all this? She seems pretty confident, but the whole thing seems to have come from out of nowhere.

It's a weakness in the theory, though if M has some outside way to deduce Karin's identity, there's no reason to think he didn't use the same method to discover Elsa/Pito's. I'm not saying it's certain or even probable, mind you. The most likely scenario is the one you lay out. But it'd be interesting if the show threw a curveball at us about it. :shrug:

The girls probably just deleted and reset their accounts over and over until they found the avatars they liked. Karin didn't have any particular attachment to any one game the way they did and just worked through the list until she found one that had the LLENN avatar.

I don't think we've heard of Fukaziroh before, it's just letting us know that Miyu's a good GGO player and should be able to back LLENN up adequately. (Or at least Miyu thinks she is, anyway.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Apparently, only the free demos give you a random character. That’s why Karen was able to burn through thirty-seven games, and why she wanted to - she was only trying to experience the world in a small, cute body, and didn’t want to shell out any money until she knew it was possible.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I’m still enjoy the tutorial scenes. “Excellent, dung beetle! Never pick up a sniper rifle again!”

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ijyt posted:

I’m still enjoy the tutorial scenes. “Excellent, dung beetle! Never pick up a sniper rifle again!”

It is very boot camp archetypal :allears:

Kanos posted:

No, I mean the way M frames it Pito is going to literally IRL kill someone(M) and then herself. I don't see LLENN/Karen being able to be friends with someone who would be an actual murderer. She's already connected with Pito over the love of PKing.

Except, as revealed by the SAO explanation, Pito's love of PKing seems to stem in some way from it's SAO context as murder. That's a dangerous line to toe but I can believe she straddles it (M's weirdness only works if he's actually taking Pito's words out of context, meaning she's actually saying these things.) You'd be surprised at how different people can be when they're not putting on a public face.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pito's murder/suicide thing was a 'of course i meant in the game you idiot, if it was IRL i wouldn't be able to get away with it/it wouldn't be any fun!' sort of joke.

Dan7el posted:

She's grandstanding and is probably the blond girl in the OP who dual wields grenade launchers. It's set up for her GGO introduction.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

Apparently, only the free demos give you a random character.

Which reminds me, Karen seems to be super rich. Big luxury apartment, flying first class, taking the taxi in loving Tokyo... either she's loaded, or this is just what life is like for the average college student in the distant future of *checks notes* 2026.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Araki posted:

Which reminds me, Karen seems to be super rich. Big luxury apartment, flying first class, taking the taxi in loving Tokyo... either she's loaded, or this is just what life is like for the average college student in the distant future of *checks notes* 2026.

Wait, when did Karen fly first class?

• Locked thread