Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I recently did the intro course to get the first FIFA coaching license.

I assume it's similar everywhere, to get the E license you have to take an intro course (12 hours over a weekend) and also complete 20 hours of coaching work. I completed my first 20 hours this week working at a local youth football club started by fellow goon and irl friend SandersPacheco.

In addition to those 20 hours, I have been to 6 matches mostly in the U15 category and one for the U17 category, 4 as assistant coach and 2 as main coach even though I still barely know what I'm doing.

It has been a great experience working on something football related, it's pretty fulfilling volunteer work and also a huge responsibility to be a decent role model to these kids, as opposed to being an angry rear end in a top hat like some youth coaches can be (the other day I saw a coach for U11s being sent off for being an rear end to the ref and then get into a shouting match with some parents in the stands).

Anyway, hoping SandersPacheco will come in and post a bit about his experience (he has a C license iirc) and how the club came to be. And also hoping there are other coaches who post here and can share stories, resources and advice.

Coaching pathway

These are the license levels and courses you have to take for them here in Costa Rica, but I think it's very similar elsewhere. All levels require hours on the pitch but I don't have the exact numbers.

Grassroots or E License
Focused on U13 category and below. Requires an intro course.

Regional 1 or D License
Focused on U17 and below and requires 3 courses (given by the federation): Sports Nutrition, Basic Motor Development, Methodology of Football I

Regional 2 or C License
Focused on U20 and below and requires 6 courses: Physiology, Grassroots Physical Training, Methodology of Football II, Statistics Applied to Football Coaching, Fundaments of Training Planning, Intro to Tactics and Strategy

National 1 or B License
Depends on the country and federation but here you can coach second division and under with this one, and also you can be an assistant coach in the top division. Requires 4 courses: Sports Psychology in Football, Tactics and Strategy for High Performance, Physical Training for High Performance, Match Systems for High Performance

National 2 or A License
With this one you can coach the top division here. Requires 4 courses: Sports Leadership, Methodology of Defensive and Attacking Training, Methodologies Implemented in Football, Training Planning

Pro License
This allows international training. Requires 4 courses: Coaching in the International Context, Match Analysis, Evalution and Control of High Performance Training, Sports Seminar

US: https://www.ussoccer.com/coaching-education/licenses/grassroots
UK: http://www.thefa.com/news/2016/oct/07/discover-the-coaching-pathway
CR: http://www.fedefutbol.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PLAN-DE-ESTUDIO-DE-ENTRENADORES.pdf

e: the thread title sucks but I couldn't think of anything good to start with

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
What's the intro course like? Is it tactics or regulations or just basic rules? I imagine everyone there is at least a football fan so going over the rules of the game seems kind of ridiculous but maybe necessary.

E: also this is very cool, congratulations to you both

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Yeah as you said it's not rules or regulations, it's mainly concepts about training youth football, specifically U12 and under because with an E license you're supposed to start with younger categories where the objective is to teach them the basics and make sure they have fun.

My course was 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon where we got the intro, some basics about teaching fundamentals and also instructions for the next day's practical course. The practical course was fun, the group was divided in pairs and each pair had to come up with (or find) several exercizes targeted toward kids and then run them for the rest of the group. Then the instructor gave feedback and corrections. My instructor was Karla Alemán, former national women's team player and coach, she was a good instructor. It might seem like no time at all but I learned a lot.

I assume my hours with U15s U17s will count even though I was supposed to start working with U12s, we'll see tomorrow when I submit the paperwork.

I will add some info about the levels of FIFA licenses to the OP in a bit.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 15, 2018

• Locked thread