Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I know these things are the new hotness and I've been curious about them for a while. Some people at work were talking about how they were the second coming of christ the other day, I was like "gently caress it" and grabbed one at target yesterday. I'm really not a gadget guy, but the hook is so promising I had to get it out of the way.

First impressions. I cooked some chicken last night. 2 wings and 2 legs. I just seasoned one of each with no breading, and then dusted one of each with flour. I was kind of shocked but it was phenomenal. Honestly some of the best chicken I've ever cooked. I've always had trouble getting chicken skin that crunchy in the oven. The wings were ridiculously good. I'm definitely curious about how well it cooks other stuff. I've seen various results online, some good some bad. Most of the worst stuff looked like the people just didn't know how to cook in the first place anyways and thought it was going to be magic.

On the other hand it seemed pretty inefficient. It told me to cook the chicken for 15-22 minutes but it took a good 40 to get perfectly crunchy. it was still pretty soggy looking at 22, and it sounds like a hair dryer going off. I also just lined the bottom of the basket. the stuff on the underside was noticeably less crunchy, so even though the manual says you can just stack stuff in there I'm skeptical. Seems perfect for one or two people, but cooking for a whole family might be tough unless you are ok with mediocre results. It's also annoyingly huge. Also, calling it a fryer seems like marketing BS.

Still, I'm pretty stoked to mess around with it. What do you guys think of these things? Awesome? Dumb fad? Awesome fad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepBlue
Jul 7, 2004

SHMEH!!!
Bacon wrapped brussels sprouts are one of my favorites. Drop a bunch into air fryer at 350 for 15 minutes and it will come out amazing

Also, bacon wrapped 'lil smokies' are darn tasty.

Pretty much anything wrapped in bacon will be good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dumb fad

get a convection toaster oven if you want literally the same thing but better and not a dumb fad

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Are they just little convection ovens? I saw one at the store and was really confused, because there's only so many ways you can cook things with air.

Ah this gigantic picture on wikipedia answers it quite clearly:

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 15, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mean, yeah they are very similar but not the same thing. An air fryer blows around a lot more air than a convection oven. The results aren't identical.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

One of my relatives has one of these and I've had a couple "air fried" meals that she's made. She's not a good cook by any means, but everything she's made in them has come out pretty much perfect and tasted great.

I'm not really sold on it because I have like 5 ways to cook the things I'd use an air fryer for as it is so I probably won't buy one. Also I'm pretty sure she'll just get us one for christmas because she keeps talking about how we need one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

I'm not really sold on it because I have like 5 ways to cook the things I'd use an air fryer for as it is so I probably won't buy one. Also I'm pretty sure she'll just get us one for christmas because she keeps talking about how we need one.

Yeah this is pretty much why I waffling on it. I actually only bought it because Target hosed up the price tags and I ended up getting it for 60% less than the actual cost. It's pretty redundant. But...Once again it made the best chicken I've ever made tonight, so I feel like it's not going to go unused. If nothing else I'm never cooking bone in chicken in the oven or in oil again. Heavily prefer this. We made a few chicken strips as well to see how it would hold up without natural oils (I did rub a tiny bit of mayo on it so they batter had something to absorb) and they were very solid if you don't mind super light batter.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
got one as a wedding gift, used is maybe 3 or 4 times, its pretty cool but not something i'd ever go out of my way to purchase for myself. Plus it is fugging HUGE and when you have small apartment kitchen not super worth it for taking up so much counter space when you already have appliances that do what it does

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My parents bought one. Comparing it side by side when making chicken cutlets, I definitely prefer a big old iron pan with oil, but the gap isn't a huge one. Might just need to cook for way longer than it says to so I can get that proper CRONCH

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
I've been using mine heavily for green beans, Brussels sprouts, tofu, etc. The air fryer does what my toaster oven, microwave, and convection oven simply can't do, and it does it well.

I wish I had gotten the bigger model!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, hey. I forgot I made this thread since it didn't garner much response, but I am really happy with mine as well. Going on 2 months now and I still use it 3-4 times a week and I think it's great. There are things that it just flat out cooks better than anything else I have used and it's incredibly no fuss. I really couldn't be happier with it.

I also wish I bought a bigger model. Although the whole unit feels sort of huge too. That's kind of my biggest complaint. I didn't realize how much actually stacking stuff was going to affect how well it cooks and you can only use a fraction of the basket effectively. It feels like they waste a lot of space to emulate a fryer basket and it's kind of dishonest marketing/bad design.

Air fryers are good. Not a gimmick imo. If you use it right you can make really quality poo poo.

• Locked thread