Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
Problem description: The computer will restart (just full on "full black screen, fans spin, then the BIOS" no BSOD) when I try to do graphics intensive things. Once that happens, on subsequent restarts, it will very quickly freeze (although sometimes these freezes will have a frozen cursor for a bit before the screen goes black). If I shut the computer completely off, wait a bit, then it will work for a while, especially if I stay away from games or other really intensive things. Running a CPU-only test did not seem to trigger this issue. I've been watching the temps and they're all pretty normal.

The only thing in the logs are errors with Event ID 41 'kernel-power' and Event ID: 10016 (which seems like it's not relevant at all, but I note for completeness).

Attempted fixes: So many at this point. I've gone through a couple lines of thinking here and luckily I have a working computer that I can test various things with.

1) This seems to start happening when the graphics card starts to get exercised and since I'm using an old graphics card, it might be hosed. When I tried to run a FurMark test on the new computer, it dies between 10 and 30% complete.

I moved the GPU back to my working computer and ran a FurMark test. It passed. So I think the GPU at least works.

2) Since this is a power issue, maybe there's an issue with the PSU.

I've unplugged and replugged all the wires. No change. I then swapped the working PSU from my other computer and it still does the same thing. I also switched to using the same surge protector as my other computer. No change.

3) Maybe this is the motherboard? Driver issues? Just reinstall Windows?

I haven't been able to dig in too much here but the temps all seem normal on the motherboard at least. I reset the UEFI settings but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I haven't tried to upgrade the BIOS yet or dug too deeply on driver issues. I'm considering reinstalling Windows or downgrading the drivers given the age of the GPU.

Recent changes: Built it.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

System specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Z-370 Killer SLI/ac
CPU: Intel i3-8100 (stock fan)
GPU: GeForce GTX 760
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 550
RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
SSD: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Any ideas for next things to try would be most welcome! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
For it to be happening only when the GPU is under load I would assume the problem is either the card or the power supply. I've had power supplies that over time start to wear out and not put out the same power they used to.

I would check the power supply first. Reason being the lack of bugchecks and its the cheaper part to swap out if you don't have testers or a spare handy.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

Myrridinos posted:

For it to be happening only when the GPU is under load I would assume the problem is either the card or the power supply. I've had power supplies that over time start to wear out and not put out the same power they used to.

I would check the power supply first. Reason being the lack of bugchecks and its the cheaper part to swap out if you don't have testers or a spare handy.

Thanks. I swapped the power supplies before and saw the same issue. I had been trying to avoid putting the GPU from my functioning computer into the new one just in case it blew it up or something. I bit the bullet and swapped the GPU and the new computer is working well with my 1080. Looks like it's time to retire the 760 and buy a new graphics card.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
No problem. Kinda a blech time to have a GPU failure, what with all the price gouging.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

Myrridinos posted:

No problem. Kinda a blech time to have a GPU failure, what with all the price gouging.

I know, right? My plan had been to have this one limp along for a few months until things settled a bit or the new line came out. Oh well.

• Locked thread