Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Hinamatsuri is an anime adaptation of the beloved comedy manga by Masao Ohtake. Hinamatsuri is also the name of Girl's Day, a holiday that takes place on March 3rd in Japan.

The 12 episode anime is being lovingly produced by Studio feel. (Tsuki ga Kirei, SNAFU 2, Please tell me! Galko-chan, Dagashi Kashi) and is currently airing weekly on Crunchyroll every Saturday Friday.

Website
MAL / ANN
Director: Oikawa, Kei
Series Composition: Ohchi, Keiichirou
OP: "Distance" by Rie Murakawa
ED: "Sake to Ikura to 893 to Musume" by Yoshiki Nakajima
Comedy, Sci-Fi, Slice of Life, Supernatural
PV

This thread is for discussing the anime! Please keep manga spoilers to a minimum and always use spoiler tags, or better yet discuss them in the wonderful manga thread. Thanks!

Our story takes place in modern Japan, where a powerful psychokinetic esper girl named Hina suddenly appears in the swank bachelor pad apartment of yakuza middle-manager Yoshifumi Nitta. Under threat of supernatural physical force, Nitta caves into her demands for clothes, food, shelter, stuffed animals, school attendance, and more food, and quickly finds himself falling into the role of adoptive father.

Characters:

Hina - VA: Tanaka, Takako

She's an esper with vast psychokinetic powers. Hina teleported into Nitta's apartment in some sort of future tech stasis capsule. She hasn't talked about the place where she came from.

Likes: salmon roe (ikura), being lazy, school lunches, not being ordered around by adults

Nitta, Yoshifumi - VA: Nakajima, Yoshiki

Nitta is a fairly successful yakuza member who spends his money on art, booze, and women. His fatherly instincts have come out in full force now that he has to care for a middle school girl by himself.

Anzu - VA: Murakawa, Rie

Anzu is another psychokinetic girl who seems to have been sent to hunt down Hina by some organization from the same place that both she and Hina came from.

Mishima, Hitomi - VA: Hondo, Kaede

Hitomi is a normal middle school girl, the kind you could find anywhere.

Dislikes: saying "no" to anyone's requests

Utako - VA: Hikasa, Yoko . . . holy poo poo everybody, it's Mio!

Utako is the owner and bartender of "Little Song", a bar frequented by Nitta and many salarymen.

Likes: money, cheap and highly skilled employees, good fathers

??? - VA: Ozawa, Ari

This mysterious badass opened the show by defeating a handful of martial artists with nothing but a creepy log doll. Who is she, and why is she fighting to get to Hina three years after the rest of our story?

The Yakuza Family

Oyaji - VA: Shibata, Hidekatsu

Godfather of this yakuza group.

Kiyoshi Baba - VA: Koyama, Tsuyoshi

AKA "Kashira", he's the second in command who gives orders to Nitta.

Sabu - VA: Kawanishi, Kengo

Sabu is Nitta's underling. Never opens his eyes, and doesn't appreciate good ramen. :colbert:

Ikura (salmon roe, or "red caviar")

Traditional Japanese preparation of this dish is to marinate fresh salmon roe in soy sauce, mirin, and sake, and then serve over rice or as sushi.

あいた, or "Aita!" is a Japanese exclamation of pain - VA: entire cast

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Definately the show of the season, and unlike a lot of other Japanese shows its legitimately funny. Relies on actual funny situations and not an insane web of misunderstandings or endless wordplay.

Im really happy with how much of the material theyve managed to adapt without it feeling rushed. Gives me hope for some of the later stories to get done even though theres only 12 eps. For people enjoying this show Id encourage you to read the comic after its done, tons and tons of stuff is cut. All the major plot points get hit but lots of little incidental side gags are gone, so itll make for a fresh experience even after watching it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The end of episode 2 was pretty great, Hitomi becoming a bartender and everyone immediately jumping on going to a bar was funny :3:

Poor Anzu....

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The focus on the bowls of ikura in the OP is incredible. Like does she actually fall asleep with a bowl next to her lmao

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

The focus on the bowls of ikura in the OP is incredible. Like does she actually fall asleep with a bowl next to her lmao

I love it, especially because it keeps the manga theme where every volume's cover has ikura on it in various forms.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Thanks for making this thread Mentat Radnor! :thumbsup:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Hina has very good taste in food because I too love salmon roe.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I resent that there is no 'mob psycho' pun in the thread title.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Hina has very good taste in food because I too love salmon roe.
Tobiko>Ikura

This is what my "grew up in a working class household" tastebuds say so it must be true.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Goddamn it I wish roe was a more common thing here

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Knorth posted:

Goddamn it I wish roe was a more common thing here

Heres a homegrown salmoe roe vid straight from the united states of america.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mu0CT-pcFc

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Heres a homegrown salmoe roe vid straight from the united states of america.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mu0CT-pcFc

Is this a fetish video? Those squishing noises combined with the dude's attempt at ASMR voice . . . :stonk:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Remember to watch the show cradling a China vase.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

Sabu is Nitta's underling. Never opens his eyes, and doesn't appreciate good ramen. :colbert:

Not at all, in fact, he doesn't have much patience for mediocre ramen. :colbert:

Anyway, great OP, and a great adaptation so far. They are nailing the tone, and the timing/delivery of a few lines has actually made them even funnier for me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mary Annette posted:

Not at all, in fact, he doesn't have much patience for mediocre ramen. :colbert:

Anyway, great OP, and a great adaptation so far. They are nailing the tone, and the timing/delivery of a few lines has actually made them even funnier for me.

Agreed, the part where he whispers promises of food in her ear to get her to agree to rock paper scissors was :discourse:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

big fan of the use of "Ouchy" in the subs

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Today's episode was another triumph, in which:

Being Anzu is suffering, because she is such a good girl (and also because of Utako).

Being Hitomi is suffering with a decent paycheck, because she is such a good girl (and also because of Utako).

Being Hina is surprisingly easy, despite her being a little poo poo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

Being Anzu is suffering, because she is such a good girl (and also because of Utako).

Being Hitomi is suffering with a decent paycheck, because she is such a good girl (and also because of Utako).

I'm surprised that Utako was so cool with Hitomi's teacher showing up, seeing as it getting out that she worked there would undermine her blackmail. I think they could have played off of that for some jokes. But regardless it was a good episode.

The Anzu portion wasn't really that funny, but it was good character building.

Hina is a good girl who just wants to help out (and eat roe)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

I suspect this might be the wrong term.

Being a little poo poo seems to be a large part of why her life is easy.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Really big fan of Anitra getting fathering advice from the yakuza head

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mentat Radnor posted:

Utako actually in the right though? The people were legitimately robbed, even if it was because Anzu was ignorant of money. If anything, not getting the police involved(even though it is because Utako is Yakuza, or tied to them) means there were no arrests. Once they got the money back, everything was fine.

Being Anzu is still suffering though.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Utako hates the cops :swoon:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm surprised that Utako was so cool with Hitomi's teacher showing up, seeing as it getting out that she worked there would undermine her blackmail.
ah but Utako, like most Hinamatsuri characters, is a big dumb jerk

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can't believe I almost gave this one a pass. I caught up tonight and what an adorable, funny, heartwarming anime. Anzu is a cinnamon bun, which is certainly not what I was expecting from her when she first showed up.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

hitomimatsuri begins

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anzu is the best character.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Anzu is legitimately one of the most heartfelt and moving characters I've ever seen and her arc is one of the things I have been looking forward to the most in this adaption.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm surprised that Utako was so cool with Hitomi's teacher showing up, seeing as it getting out that she worked there would undermine her blackmail.
Her entire blackmail of spreading pictures of a middle school girl working at her bar surely wouldn't backfire either...

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Blackmail never really makes that much sense when you think about it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I had forgotten, but it is in fact Utako who is the worst person.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

quote:

I never knew it was possible to eat this much salmon roe
Turns out it wasn't possible after all, :rip: Hina

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chumbler posted:

I had forgotten, but it is in fact Utako who is the worst person.

I mean, even the OP fully acknowledges this.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
EDIT: gently caress wrong thread. Mixed it up with the manga thread for a second.
Don't mind me

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 24, 2018

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

:rip: Hitomi

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Last week got really loving heavy out of nowhere so it was cool that this episode was a bit less so while still keeping more of a dramatic character focus then you'd expect from a comedy.

Also Hitomi really is the best.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nephthys posted:

Last week got really loving heavy out of nowhere so it was cool that this episode was a bit less so while still keeping more of a dramatic character focus then you'd expect from a comedy.

Hinamatsuri will show you the highest highs and the lowest lows, and all of it will be great.

It's a great series, is what I'm saying.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anzu is the one who should be living in the vase apartment. :colbert:

Nephthys posted:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Hitomi cannot be stopped

even by her best judgement

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Poil posted:

Anzu is the one who should be living in the vase apartment. :colbert:
Anzo is too good for anywhere in this sinful world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I hope Anzu finds a family.

• Locked thread