Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Quinton posted:

I just wish they had spent a bit of their budget on hooking the writers up with a science advisor or two.

I mean, sure, this is more space-opera-y than hard-sci-fi-ish, but episode one is largely occupied by completely imaginary physics of water.

Look, I'm willing to suspend some disbelief around alien tech or FTL drives or whatnot, but water freezing and thawing is not a mystery.

I actually enjoyed the season overall, even though there was a lot of clunkiness, but the lazy writing around anything remotely science-y and the constant need for extreme peril with a short countdown to death or doom was pretty infuriating. Being stranded on an unknown planet offers plenty of danger and risk without going crazy all the way through the planet is going to be rendered uninhabitable by a black hole in a matter of weeks!!! -- I mean, seriously, what are the odds of that?

I thought the Robinsons were okay -- believable dysfunctional, if you will -- the supporting characters did their jobs, and Dr Smith suffered from not being dialed back a bit from the original series -- she was just way too cardboard villain for a show that seemed to be trying to be a bit more complex.

With all of the junk science being thrown around the most unbelievable thing to me is that Doctor Smith is able to so perfectly manipulate literally everyone.

I'm fine with two humans activating a robot spaceship with their palm prints. I'm fine with an alien artificial intelligence having the mental capacity of a child. But a ratty small time crook that basically has a literal superpower of mind control because she knows how to cry on command? That's the line. She can virtually make wishes and have them come true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Personally, I don't care much about the science stuff even when I know it's wrong. The whole ice thing in the first episode was dumb as hell and it was something I was thinking about when I mentioned my pet peeve of traveling distance in the general chat thread. That episode also has Wil and John walking in that deep snow to get to that magnesium which looks to be several miles away. Except they make it there and back in like an hour, despite the fact that it takes the average person between 15-20 minutes just to walk a mile on level terrain.

But in the end, I still find that the dumbness during the first season of this show is less than the dumbness of the later seasons of a show like The Walking Dead. So I'll go ahead and watch.

I mean I know this is a forum of nerds closely following television shows, but sometimes I think people just need to turn off their brain and enjoy dumb poo poo. It's just entertainment and something to pass the time.

Of course, I do have bad opinions. After all, I went to see Rampage and Saturday and even though it was dumb as hell, I still had a good time watching it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

VictorianQueerLit posted:

With all of the junk science being thrown around the most unbelievable thing to me is that Doctor Smith is able to so perfectly manipulate literally everyone.

I'm fine with two humans activating a robot spaceship with their palm prints. I'm fine with an alien artificial intelligence having the mental capacity of a child. But a ratty small time crook that basically has a literal superpower of mind control because she knows how to cry on command? That's the line. She can virtually make wishes and have them come true.

While some of her manipulation was maybe a little over the top, I actually thought that most of it was fairly believable. She may be a small time crook, but those kinds of people often have excellent people reading skills and a gifted tongue so they can talk their way out of issues. A lot of what she was doing was just causing enough doubt for someone to wonder if maybe she was telling the truth. Like the whole thing when Don came back and she told him that she was going to fire off the flare gun but then decided not to and just put it back in the wrong pack. I mean yeah, it's kind of dumb, but it's also just the kind of story that would make you wonder if maybe she was telling the truth.

And remember, she also went around one night and looked through a bunch of the Robinsons stuff, so she can figure out some of their motivations and reasoning. This is proven later when she was trapped with the Robot in that central room and figures out that Maureen didn't design it to keep people in, so there must be a way to get the hell out.

I mean don't get me wrong, I personally think that after she has been discovered she should just be left on the planet or jettisoned into space because you'll never be able to trust her, but until that point I am pretty OK with her manipulations.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Lycus posted:

Watch the first scene of ep 3 and watch Parker Posey become your favorite character.

When Maureen goes to the airlock to ask Dr. Smith why she fired the harpoon again and save John, she says "I'm never letting you out of there." My response was YES SPACE THE BITCH, SPACE HER! IT'S THE ONLY SMART THING YOUR PIECE OF TRASH CHARACTER WILL EVER DO

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I know she was some kind of hobo or something before she stole her sister's identity, but did "dr. Smith" have to keep trying to dress like a bag lady after she got to an alien planet? Where did she even FIND that oversized trash vest thing?

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

I was glad this happened, because it allowed me to immediately readjust my expectations of this show...
Middle sister was just too annoying, I kept hoping all the characters would die horribly, and each episode my mind just tuned out the last 10 minutes when the main characters would be saved by some asspull.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I guess I'm alone in liking the younger sister. I thought she had a goofy charm. Her masterplan to get the boy to kiss her was the right mix of ridiculous and romantic that I'd kind of expect from a kid who always has her nose in a book; albeit maybe one a bit younger.
I also thought the bit with the oreos was cute and wasn't annoyed by the product placement so much as I was thinking "Do you have any idea how much it cost to launch those cookies into space?!?!"

Annoying kid was annoying, older sister was no fun and the times when they tried to make her fun felt really forced. I was don't remember them explaining which side of the family was her blood relation until like episode 9 but bringing that up and making it a point that for whatever reason her paternal father wasn't around and all that resentment carried over into step-dad also leaving, earlier on would have made the character's friction with her step-dad a lot more meaningful.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

I also thought the bit with the oreos was cute and wasn't annoyed by the product placement so much as I was thinking "Do you have any idea how much it cost to launch those cookies into space?!?!"
There was a "You spent XX of your weight allowance on oreos?!" "No, mom did." right after that.

Totally product placement, but totally believable to bring some favorite snack. Worked for me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Middle sister seemed fine to me too, although I wasn't real sure what made her special, but I guess that goes for all the children we saw that weren't the older sister and a medical doctor at 18. She was an idiot 16 year old and made idiot 16 year old type decisions. That's way more excusable than all the other poor decisions grown rear end people in this show make.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone should readjust their expectations. The original Lost in Space is not some kind of genius show. Think about it: the entire premise of the original show was that a single family of 5 was supposed to colonize a planet near Alpha Centari to save humanity from a dying Earth. That's not exactly thinking things through.

It's been a long time but iirc pretty much every single episode of the original series had the same structure as the new series: Trouble starts, progress is made, Smith screws things up and causes more issues, some new solution appears which solves everything, family escapes trouble, rinse, repeat.

The show is basically a sci-fi procedural with a more directed overarching story.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

TMMadman posted:

Everyone should readjust their expectations. The original Lost in Space is not some kind of genius show. Think about it: the entire premise of the original show was that a single family of 5 was supposed to colonize a planet near Alpha Centari to save humanity from a dying Earth. That's not exactly thinking things through.

It's been a long time but iirc pretty much every single episode of the original series had the same structure as the new series: Trouble starts, progress is made, Smith screws things up and causes more issues, some new solution appears which solves everything, family escapes trouble, rinse, repeat.

The show is basically a sci-fi procedural with a more directed overarching story.

It is possible for story telling and television as a medium to get better over time...

Something being poo poo isn't an homage, its just poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm glad Netflix has the 98 film up for streaming right now because holy hell has it aged badly.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Quinton posted:

There was a "You spent XX of your weight allowance on oreos?!" "No, mom did." right after that.

Totally product placement, but totally believable to bring some favorite snack. Worked for me.

Yeah it was that I read about people complaining about it in the chat thread before I saw it. It's also totally believable that someone would bring oreos and makes the things another character brings also very believable. Worked for me too.

TMMadman posted:

This is also a show on Netflix that people are binging so it isn't quite as necessary to make each episode as self-contained. I get maybe that was a reaction to some of the Netflix criticism that shows drag in the middle but seeing ten episodes that were essentially the same formula got kind of old too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TMMadman posted:

I think in both the original TV series and the movie they were basically pioneers/guinea pigs for the tech. Less "Adam and Eve: Redux", and more "If this works everyone will follow". This version just made them the 24th most useful group for that purpose.

Daughter chat: Liked the younger one better, she at least had a personality. Judy acted like Data when she wasn't in her ptsd phase. Also Penny didn't use Debby as a distraction for the universe's shortest duration tranquilizer then abandon her in the woods to die in a fire

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I'm glad Netflix has the 98 film up for streaming right now because holy hell has it aged badly.

It waa bad even in 98.

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah it was that I read about people complaining about it in the chat thread before I saw it. It's also totally believable that someone would bring oreos and makes the things another character brings also very believable. Worked for me too.

This is also a show on Netflix that people are binging so it isn't quite as necessary to make each episode as self-contained. I get maybe that was a reaction to some of the Netflix criticism that shows drag in the middle but seeing ten episodes that were essentially the same formula got kind of old too.

I didn't care one way or the other about the Oreos except for the standard eye roll at the obvious product placement. It was believable to me.

And I somewhat agree with your point about each episode not needing to be so self contained. If there's a second season, I'd like to see maybe 3-4 episodes arcs on various planets with some Resolute stuff thrown in occasionally as side plots. That would be like 2-3 planets per season and each episode wouldn't need to be so self contained.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TMMadman posted:

It waa bad even in 98.

True but Heather Graham.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

TMMadman posted:

I don't think you can make a favorable comparison to the original and come out ahead for the new version. For example, aside from having a different tone in general, the original team realized making Dr. Smith an evil person with no redeeming qualities was a bad idea that wasn't working after the initial pilot stretch. If anything the new show team learned nothing from the old show and even forgot some of the lessons learned from the original airing..

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

As soon as the weight allotment for Oreos was brought up, I was reminded of the real-life astronaut who used part of her allotment to bring a Star Trek uniform to the International Space Station. :3:

https://twitter.com/AstroSamantha/status/589035429879513088

"Product placement, in my ISS?!"
:goonsay:

Azhais posted:

Also Penny didn't use Debby as a distraction for the universe's shortest duration tranquilizer then abandon her in the woods to die in a fire

There was a very short scene later in the episode where Judy puts Debbie back in her box in the Chariot. Debbie remains an unfried chicken.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I would take oreos into space too so I really don't get why people are making a deal out of it. Would it somehow be more believable if they had brought GENERIC CHOCOLATE AND CREAM FLAVORED FILLING COOKIE FOOD PRODUCT instead?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Doggles posted:

As soon as the weight allotment for Oreos was brought up, I was reminded of the real-life astronaut who used part of her allotment to bring a Star Trek uniform to the International Space Station. :3:

https://twitter.com/AstroSamantha/status/589035429879513088

At first I thought that was cool, then I realized that's the VOY-era uniform and just shook my head.

IRQ posted:

I would take oreos into space too so I really don't get why people are making a deal out of it. Would it somehow be more believable if they had brought GENERIC CHOCOLATE AND CREAM FLAVORED FILLING COOKIE FOOD PRODUCT instead?

Generic Store Brand ones taste the same and are like 2/3rds the price! drat right we should make a big deal out of it!

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Gildiss posted:

This series is about Earth's most ambitious mass Dunning Kruger experiment.
Telling the dumbest people we have that they are the best and brightest, and launching them into space.
I hate every character and hope that they die, in space.

This, so much.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

IRQ posted:

Goons have a long history of overreacting about this sort of thing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I watched the first episode and ehhh...
I guess if I get bored and have nothing else to watch I'll finish the first season at some point.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
The writers sure have a couple of things they like to reuse.

1. Things sinking and getting trapped.
- The ship.
- The rover.
- Desert ship.
- Spacesuit chick.
- The dish. No sinking there though, but why didn't they just dig?

2. The flair/torchlight/bonfire idea. Twice.

I also note that the colonists and people in general seem super ok with waste in all forms.
For example the fuel, dude is all like get containers, I don't want to waste a drop and then ahhh gently caress it as they all watch it gush.

No rationing. Sure, hang out in the store room, eat what you want.
Cookies that cant be replaced, sure, scoff them.

There are ships and supplies all over the place, all irreplaceable.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PaybackJack posted:

I guess I'm alone in liking the younger sister. I thought she had a goofy charm. Her masterplan to get the boy to kiss her was the right mix of ridiculous and romantic that I'd kind of expect from a kid who always has her nose in a book; albeit maybe one a bit younger.

Annoying kid was annoying, older sister was no fun and the times when they tried to make her fun felt really forced. I was don't remember them explaining which side of the family was her blood relation until like episode 9 but bringing that up and making it a point that for whatever reason her paternal father wasn't around and all that resentment carried over into step-dad also leaving, earlier on would have made the character's friction with her step-dad a lot more meaningful.

Nah I liked Penny a lot, she was a highlight esp in later episodes imo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Can we get custom background for threads because I legit laughed out loud

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Despite what the caption says, the dialogue was actually "3000 cubits".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

fist4jesus posted:

Cookies that cant be replaced, sure, scoff them.

The voyage was actually sponsored by oreos and in successive voyages they would get a near limitless supply of them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just watch The 100 instead of this big fat mess of a show.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

Just watch The 100 instead of this big fat mess of a show.

Frankly, I wanted to kill more of the main characters watching The 100 than I did watching Lost In Space.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The 100 is plenty trashy too, let's not be mistaken.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
When/if they ever make a Hyperion series, I can see the Shrike looking like the Robot.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I might criticize this show but there is never enough science fiction so I'll take what I can get. It might not be as good as The Expanse or Westworld but those shows don't run year round either. 6/10.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 17, 2018

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Is there something that you'd like me to help put in your box?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mister Kingdom posted:

When/if they ever make a Hyperion series, I can see the Shrike looking like the Robot.

It's pretty much already a Geth

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I mean, it's not the worst show, but it'd be nice if the Smith family would face some repercussions for repeatedly dooming everybody on the planet.

In conclusion, death to everyone but Debbie the chicken.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 17, 2018

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

True but Heather Graham.

Lacey Chabert

Lycus posted:

The 100 is plenty trashy too, let's not be mistaken.

:wrong:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

She was sixteen when that came out, probably 15 while filming bro.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

She was sixteen when that came out, probably 15 while filming bro.

It stands to reason he was probably a teenager at the time too tbf. I would also put Chabert in my pros section if only bc of how I felt about 16yo Chabert when I was 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Just makes me think of Donald Trump.

• Locked thread