Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they continue with none of the characters taking to each other about what's going on, I'm going to be pissed. How could the writers think it was a good idea to have a character find out something important and not bother to tell anyone else about it until it's too late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Honestly, I'd jump on board with any plan Parker Posey suggested

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

If they continue with none of the characters taking to each other about what's going on, I'm going to be pissed. How could the writers think it was a good idea to have a character find out something important and not bother to tell anyone else about it until it's too late?

I'd be fine with this if the ship was hit by a meteorite and the parents decided to not tell anyone because it hit something irreplaceable and caused a hull breach so they are stranded and also running out of oxygen facing certain death but they don't want to worry anyone. Then Wil can just get vented into outer space when he wanders through an unlocked door.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'd be fine with this if the ship was hit by a meteorite and the parents decided to not tell anyone because it hit something irreplaceable and caused a hull breach so they are stranded and also running out of oxygen facing certain death but they don't want to worry anyone. Then Wil can just get vented into outer space when he wanders through an unlocked door.

Obviously in a situation like that, maybe you want to hide something from your children. But when you find out someone is an impostor, you don't just sit on that for days.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really do wish they'd done something else with Smith. Or at least let her lies continue on into the second season, but then I guess without revealing she's lying/up to something, they would have no antagonist other than a black hole.

I do wonder wtf their plan is for her. It's not like she's a real doctor and thus useful in any way so idk what they'll gin up as a reason to start letting her out of her cozy prison cell.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it's obvious she'll do something helpful early in S2, and they won't feel right putting her back in lockup.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

I think it's obvious she'll do something helpful early in S2, and they won't feel right putting her back in lockup.

Oh, definitely, I'm just wondering what that helpful thing will even end up being unless they reveal she's actually super legit good at some useful space skill. All we know so far is she's real good at lying and killing her sister.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The only way they can really take Smith if she is stuck with the same handful of people that know her poo poo already is to become a good guy. That's probably the best way to survive.

I guess they could always run into an alien race they can communicate with and then she will just flawlessly manipulate some alien bounty hunter or king into taking the Robinsons hostage and giving her the Jupiter 2.

The Zorglonians are a strictly honor based society that can not comprehend the concept of a con man. They never had Blark-Fron Oil salesmen in the Re'gla'ta expanse.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 3, 2018

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
More likely they will probably have to abandon ship or be captured by the aliens on the other side of the wormhole and Smith will manage to get access to another robot or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

Oh, definitely, I'm just wondering what that helpful thing will even end up being unless they reveal she's actually super legit good at some useful space skill. All we know so far is she's real good at lying and killing her sister.

The last shot of her sister we see shows her clearly alive.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bring Back Selma Blair

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I'm halfway through the season and I haven read the thread so i'm not sure what the consensus here is but my god do I hate the Dr Smith character. Not because of the actress, at least I dont think so, but ugh the writing for her character is so so bad. Every episode has her lying or being manipulative and then we have the same shot of her smirking to herself as the person she's just tricked walks away. Also it sometimes feels like the people she's lying to are the most gullible idiots in the world. I'm sure things will change with her plot but my god it's so one note right now.

edit: lol at Don going into the ship they were taking the fuel from at the very last second as opposed to anytime during the three hours it took, just so we could have a dramatic moment.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 22, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The actress does an ok-ish job given the character is so awfully done, but the almost literal moustache twirling whilst "manipulating" people is so , so so bad.
It's like watching a live action Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khablam posted:

The actress does an ok-ish job given the character is so awfully done, but the almost literal moustache twirling whilst "manipulating" people is so , so so bad.
It's like watching a live action Saturday morning cartoon villain.

I was going to post that earlier, I bet they were kicking themselves they couldn't give her a moustache to twirl

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Parker Posey did the best anyone could do with that trash fire of a character. There was just nothing to be done with that writing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Parker Posey with a literal moustache she keeps twirling would be p good

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I was picturing her rubbing her hands together maniacally every time she did something sinister so yes for sure, just dress her as Dick Dastardly and you're set. They may as well have her talking to herself every time something goes her way.

"Yes, yes dance you fools"

"It is I who will have the last laugh"

"Like puppets on a string"

"Soon the ____ will be mine"

Just insert any of those after her scenes and you're golden

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Just Chamber posted:

I was picturing her rubbing her hands together maniacally every time she did something sinister so yes for sure, just dress her as Dick Dastardly and you're set. They may as well have her talking to herself every time something goes her way.

"Yes, yes dance you fools"

"It is I who will have the last laugh"

"Like puppets on a string"

"Soon the Jade Monkey will be mine"

Just insert any of those after her scenes and you're golden

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cojawfee posted:

I enjoyed the season but my main 2 complaints sound like they would be most people's complaints -- inexplicably hiding knowledge and Dr. Smith having complicated motives.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I finally got a chance to watch this and power through it over the past few days and I just don't know how to feel about it. I do have a few questions though

West makes a comment about having already been to AC so I imaging they already sent people there and the Jupiter program was the first mass scale effort to colonize it? I know I am over thinking it but if that is the case why didn't the Geth attack that first ship?

So the lady figures out that they are like 600 trillion miles from everything but they kinda shrug it off and are all like LOL we will still make it to AC lol which doesn't make any loving sense ( yeah I know the original show was like this but it bugged me here) like wouldn't your first priority be trying to figure out where in the gently caress you are?

Also Dr Smith kinda bugged me. Not sure if it was the actress or how they wrote her character.

Honestly I really could care less about the show.

Also Mr Robinson was a Navy seal? They make a comment about that towards the end.

Have they said if there was going to be a second season?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

- they're phase 2 I think? They've been there but this is the major push to establish a colony
- yeah WHERE THE gently caress ARE WE EVEN? should be the central conceit, at least for the start, but it's not well grounded.
- feel free to not like the actress I guess, but it's the horrific characterisation and plot that makes you feel this way I'm sure
- he was some form of special forces
- it officially has a season 2 in production

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Khablam posted:

- they're phase 2 I think? They've been there but this is the major push to establish a colony
- yeah WHERE THE gently caress ARE WE EVEN? should be the central conceit, at least for the start, but it's not well grounded.
- feel free to not like the actress I guess, but it's the horrific characterisation and plot that makes you feel this way I'm sure
- he was some form of special forces
- it officially has a season 2 in production

OK yeah so it wasn't just me.

Hopefully season 2 cleans the show up a bit. I mean I know the original show was pretty dumb and campy but I'm not sure what they were going for here.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They were off course by more than the width of the observable universe so I have no idea how you would navigate to anywhere specific with zero reference points. I don't have high expectations of sci-fi based on a 60's tv show but you'd think a writer would take 10 seconds to google that poo poo. But really, that wasn't the problem with this show. I liked it enough to watch a second season and for sci-fi sake, I wish them success.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Gotta say I could not stop laughing at the part where they went to get fuel and the tank got punctured on one side, they were worried about it spilling out if they moved it upright to release the pinned redshirt character. But then they do upright the trailer and obviously have the option to continue pulling it to tip it onto the other side so it wouldn't leak anymore, but nope.. Also later on, poopfuel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They also could have just pulled the guy out and put it back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

They also could have just pulled the guy out and put it back down.

Who... Lieutenant Cork?

• Locked thread