Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gildiss posted:

This series is about Earth's most ambitious mass Dunning Kruger experiment.
Telling the dumbest people we have that they are the best and brightest, and launching them into space.
I hate every character and hope that they die, in space.

This was my problem in the beginning as well but it becomes a bit more clear as the series goes on that these are infact not all the best and brightest but rather collection of essentially refugees who either lied, manipulated, were rich enough, or passed a series of tests to qualify.

It didn't make it quite clear enough that while everyone is more competent at doing science stuff than Smith, it's mostly training to get into the program and work your Jupiter, not survive on a random alien planet.

Imagine you and your family moved into a new house and the guy who sold you the house went through every room of it and explained how every room worked, then your house suddenly ended up in the middle of the Congo. You basically only have skills, as they relate to the operation of your house, but thankfully a few people are really smart and know how to survive in the Congo.

mcmagic posted:

They do a pretty terrible job of trying to convince you there are stakes in this show since no one ever seems to die no matter what happens to them.

Every situation in this show went exactly the same way:

Bad situation occurs, odds seem insurmountable.
Situation gets even worse; odds are now impossible!
Situation nears it's end and people say their goodbyes.
Flash of insight or Deus Ex Machina occurs and situation is resolved; probably to never be referenced again.

For all my complaints this show had a good little hook at the end and the back story of the robot makes me interested in Season 2.

Spoiling this since it's mostly speculation with some spoilers. Maureen states that thing that hit Earth and made the dust cloud must have been an alien ship from which they reverse engineered the tech that allowed for more efficient space travel. The last episode it's revealed that an alien thing shaped like an egg was attached to the bottom of the buggy, and is seemingly what drew the Robots to the Jupiter. This egg is later shown to interface with the Jupiter and cause it to create and enter a wormhole leading back to what seems to be the Robot's homesystem. What seems to have happened but isn't quite fully explained is that the Robot came on a ship that attacked the Resolute, took back his egg, then during his escape also crashed on the planet and got rebooted. It's unknown if the Resolute needs the egg to power anything or if they were just carrying it for some other reason. But basically the theory is that the aliens are doing the same thing Earth is trying to do(find a new place to live), and in doing so either came into conflict with humans or if their arrival on Earth was accidental. Things to be answered in Season 2.

nessin posted:

So after three episodes every ounce of drama is on track to be based on people not communicating critical and important things in the middle of a life or death situation while stranded on a planet they know nothing about. Is that the way it plays out through the entire run? I'd prefer to just save myself the annoyance now if that is the case.

Normally I do hate shows where the drama comes from characters lying or hiding things from each other but other than Smith lying to everyone, this isn't really an issue among the main characters. The drama comes much more from characters having to go through cliched near-death situations in order to bond or reconnect.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

nessin posted:

It isn't just lying, or even hiding things. In the first three and a half episodes there seem to be a number of things that become the key drivers to the future of the series (at least based on a casual skim of the remaining episodes):

1) Wil not discussing anything real about the robot.
2) Wil not telling anyone about the gun.
3) Wil, or anyone really, not discussing why Smith was ransacking the supply closet for rations during the emergency.
4) Everything surrounding the three kids in episode 4.

Lycus posted:

The other kid promising not to tell about the planet death was bizarre. "Uhhh, no, of course I can't promise that. What's wrong with you?"

Each of these things only really lasts maybe an episode or two. Smith is the only secret that lasts more than 3 episodes. Yeah, Wil keeps a lot of stuff from others but it's pretty easily explained in a later episode that "oh yeah, he's still 11 and doesn't want his Dad to yell at him". The writing is really uneven when it comes to Wil and he's terrible.

Planet death is only withheld until it's necessary to tell everyone; after the fuel is lost.

I think the main thing that allows me to handle the lies and such, is that it doesn't turn into a drama point between characters that causes a rift between them that lasts. The last one being the major lie and it's handled fairly reasonably by people who should probably dislike the Robinsons a whole lot more than they do.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 16, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

The wife, Maureen, she is a waking nightmare of a human and I hope she dies in a reactor fire. The way she gave in to the patriarchal husband is a disaster for the #metoo movement and should’ve never happened.

This is funny because my first thought was "Why is she arguing with a guy that probably has tons of real world survival experience?" Then as the episode went on I figured they were purposely making him get the shaft so the tumblr crowd could masterbate over how the show disregards the strong white male protagonist.

I'm normally on the SJW side of things but i really thought in that first episode they were purposefully loving him over at every turn.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I guess I'm alone in liking the younger sister. I thought she had a goofy charm. Her masterplan to get the boy to kiss her was the right mix of ridiculous and romantic that I'd kind of expect from a kid who always has her nose in a book; albeit maybe one a bit younger.
I also thought the bit with the oreos was cute and wasn't annoyed by the product placement so much as I was thinking "Do you have any idea how much it cost to launch those cookies into space?!?!"

Annoying kid was annoying, older sister was no fun and the times when they tried to make her fun felt really forced. I was don't remember them explaining which side of the family was her blood relation until like episode 9 but bringing that up and making it a point that for whatever reason her paternal father wasn't around and all that resentment carried over into step-dad also leaving, earlier on would have made the character's friction with her step-dad a lot more meaningful.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Quinton posted:

There was a "You spent XX of your weight allowance on oreos?!" "No, mom did." right after that.

Totally product placement, but totally believable to bring some favorite snack. Worked for me.

Yeah it was that I read about people complaining about it in the chat thread before I saw it. It's also totally believable that someone would bring oreos and makes the things another character brings also very believable. Worked for me too.

TMMadman posted:

Everyone should readjust their expectations. The original Lost in Space is not some kind of genius show. Think about it: the entire premise of the original show was that a single family of 5 was supposed to colonize a planet near Alpha Centari to save humanity from a dying Earth. That's not exactly thinking things through.

It's been a long time but iirc pretty much every single episode of the original series had the same structure as the new series: Trouble starts, progress is made, Smith screws things up and causes more issues, some new solution appears which solves everything, family escapes trouble, rinse, repeat.

The show is basically a sci-fi procedural with a more directed overarching story.

This is also a show on Netflix that people are binging so it isn't quite as necessary to make each episode as self-contained. I get maybe that was a reaction to some of the Netflix criticism that shows drag in the middle but seeing ten episodes that were essentially the same formula got kind of old too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Doggles posted:

As soon as the weight allotment for Oreos was brought up, I was reminded of the real-life astronaut who used part of her allotment to bring a Star Trek uniform to the International Space Station. :3:

https://twitter.com/AstroSamantha/status/589035429879513088

At first I thought that was cool, then I realized that's the VOY-era uniform and just shook my head.

IRQ posted:

I would take oreos into space too so I really don't get why people are making a deal out of it. Would it somehow be more believable if they had brought GENERIC CHOCOLATE AND CREAM FLAVORED FILLING COOKIE FOOD PRODUCT instead?

Generic Store Brand ones taste the same and are like 2/3rds the price! drat right we should make a big deal out of it!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lycus posted:

The real problem with the scene is the colony leader not being there and just taking Will's word for it after he's hid the robot before.

Hey, I didn't vote for him.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

His running away wasn't the issue that caused Maureen to take over and stop him, it was that he didn't have enough fuel and wasn't listening to her and was going to get his group killed. His plan to get off the planet and contact the Resolute then bring back help was fine; because that was the very next thing they tried to do. He was taken out of power for being bad at math and not listening to super science mom, not for loving everyone over.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I don't mind bland shows in general, but I feel like when a show is Sci-Fi it's automatically polarized to be better or worse in my mind because it's carrying the flag for the whole genre. I don't like the saying "anything worth doing is worth doing well" but it's how I feel about Sci-fi shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Needless to say I kinda love it. I still think they should have done a retro future thing and played it completely straight.

A robot toaster dog would have made this show infinitely better that's for sure.

• Locked thread