Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eijas
Jan 19, 2006
I'm an American with a B.A. from the states who completed a Master's degree in France (instruction in French) at a "Grande École". I really don't understand where a lot of the responses in this thread are coming from.

On degrees from France having no value should you want to return to the U.S.:
This depends. The utility of a French-system degree may be limited outside of France, and certainly the EU, for second and third tier schools and in some areas where licensing is dependent on the degree system. That said, France has many top-tier business, engineering, economics, public administration, and social science schools whose degrees are highly valued outside of France and the EU. In my field, having studied in French has been a big advantage.

On needing to make $58k to get a work visa after you graduate.
This is not true. First, look into the "Autorisation Provisoire de Séjour", or APS visa. It gives you one year after completing you Master's program to work while looking for full time employment, and the remuneration required to translate it into a work visa is 1.5 times the minimum wage, or about 2200€/mo. Under the APS visa you are treated like any other European in the sense that they don't have to prove they looked for but failed to find qualified candidates from the EU. Even if you don't do the APS (though it's certainly your best bet), having a Master's from a French school means you qualify for the new "Passeport talent" enabling you to work in France if you are bale to secure a contract paying at least 35,963€/year.

As I understand it, your tuition in in the area of 9000€, much less than Master's programs in the states. Don't forget that in addition to other forms of financial aid, foreign students are also eligible for the "CAF", meaning up to 40% of the cost of your rent may be reimbursed to you. If you are thinking of going town the naturalization route, having completed a Masters in France cuts the required time for naturalization down from 5 years of residency to 2 years (in practice you need to have a decent job).

The downside is that there are a lot of Catch-22s in the French immigration/integration/naturalization process and there are some differences in paperwork depending on the Prefecture in which you live. I ended up leaving France because I was caught in one of these, but from my point of view you should be in a better position with an engineering degree and work experience under your belt. I still think about going back, and having the French Master' certainly makes that an easier prospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread