Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

Once upon a time, there was a game called The Legend of Legacy which was a spiritual successor of sorts to the SaGa series. It arguably wasn't very good. The Alliance Alive is seen as "spiritual sequel" to that game, and has some of the same development team. It has a very SaGa inspired battle system, but a notably linear story. It has secrets, unlockable characters, and a "save the world" plot that has some surprisingly dark moments.

I am so hyped to play this game with you.

This will be a video LP, mostly because when I'm doing an LP the one thing I'm looking for is getting people to post in the thread, and nothing gets more posts in a thread than doing a video LP. "Why isn't this a SSLP?" people will ask, getting me dozens of pages of replies from people. Someone will ask a legitimate question about the game, but I'll miss it, because the thread will get bumped with another "but what this really needs is an SSLP!" I get it, especially for a handheld game SSLP would probably be superior. But it wouldn't be superior for someone like me and I am the one doing this LP so here we are.

This game came out on the 3DS, which has two screens. I am using a setup which puts emphasis on the top screen. During cut scenes and specific content, I will only be showing the top screen. This is not a game I'd recommend playing (or watching the LP of) at full settings on your 4k monitor. I apologize for this.

This game has cut scenes, but no voice acting. Many, but not all of you, are watching a VLP and can read. Some of you are playing this in the background. To that end, I have settled on a narration style of exposition. I argue this is better than reading every line of dialogue, or pretending I can voice act.

This game came out this year to the West, so no spoilers. Questions about mechanics that change as the game continues are fine.

Other than that, this should be fun! I've done one other LP before, and it started very amateurish before reaching a point where it was only mostly amateurish; hopefully this LP will expand upon those skills further.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Index

Episode 1: A Cute Couple Go On a Date, Cookies In Hand [001]
Episode 2: A Date at a Museum After Hours [002]
Episode 3: Episode 3: Oh Noes is Daemon (f;,,;)f [003]
Episode 4: Episode 4: Holding Hands Through The Forest! [004]
Episode 5: Episode 5: Silver Wings Barely Fly. [005]

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 14, 2018

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

((reserved for other future use))

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why is this not [...] Well known and hyped, considering some of the names attached to it?

I imagine the short answers to this is "It pulls from the SaGa series, a series which has always been very niche" and "the team that did this did The Legend of Legacy, which was not commercially or critically well received." It's questionable whether the developers expected the game to do well anyways. In Japan, the first print run only had 30,000 cartridges. In fairness, the first week around 25k of those were sold, which isn't horrible, but it does show a more restrained approach for sales. Sadly, I couldn't find any NA/EU sales figures, but I imagine for a title like this they'd be about the same.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

LP updated with part 2. This part consists of the first real puzzle of the game, of which there are a few. I don't think any of the puzzles are terribly difficult, per se, so it was rather frustrating to me that the first puzzle you come across is explained in such a childish manner.

In future updates, we're going to be doing more to edit random fights. There were a few more that I would have liked in and of themselves, but we got some interesting drops right off the bat that almost justified keeping them in here.

In the next update, we'll find out what awaits our heroes at the top of the museum. For those of you who are curious, after this point is where the demo of the game ends. Also, a point many of you would be surprised to note: the demo is specifically skewed to be easier than the game proper, with more stat boosts and one specific fight that is much easier than it is here.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

LP is updated with Part III. This is the episode in which we find out just what is held inside the museum. The truth changes our party's life forever.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

In the last six weeks, I've:

* Been to the hospital
* Had my work hours increase
* Had some mental health issues due to change in medication
* Had my PC Power supply die.

Three of these problems have been resolved. The fourth should be taken care of somewhat soon. Then we can get back to this. I haven't forgotten!

Posting mostly because I don't want this to get locked quite yet.

Those of you who know me from the Discord know I'm more than less okay. So don't worry about that.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Part 4 is up! This time, we go through a rather cramped dungeon that looks great artistically, but forces us through a lot of seemingly meaningless fights. We meet up with the Linguist Cistro, who explains what it is we've stolen and why it is so important.

I take the time to revisit the museum, which makes sense as you'll see. Then we'll head home for a reunion with Wyatt and co. It, uh, does not end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

It's only been two months, let's get back to making excuses on why this isn't being updated. Or maybe update part 5, and add part six as soon as we can get the microphone volumes worked out. That might be a thing we can do, as well.

• Locked thread