Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ever try to get people to talk about your team hiring the guy they already fired six years ago but they're too busy talking about teams actually playing in the playoffs? This is the thread for you.

It's specifically for news and views about eliminated--or teams that never qualified in the first place--without having to deal with the pesky good teams dominating the conversation.

You can also post about fishing, or just fish if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Who do you want your teams to draft? I'm a Pistons fan so unfortunately mine won't have a first round pick.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/985926832737476608

I assume if Charlotte hires Stack that they're planning on detonating things

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who do you want your teams to draft? I'm a Pistons fan so unfortunately mine won't have a first round pick.

Assuming the Hornets don't jump, whoever's left between Mikal/Shai/Miles/Knox in that order

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 16, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hiring former UNC star Coach Stack would put the franchise extremely back on their bullshit

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Luka mf Doncic

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hiring former UNC star Coach Stack would put the franchise extremely back on their bullshit

I never really mind as long as they're qualified, so many people passing through NC in their careers is one of the few advantages they have as a franchise

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fire garpax

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

That's not fair. They've FINALLY finished their rebuild!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Landry Shamet.

He might be available in the second round still!

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

just to be clear, the the Kupchak hire already put them there; can't wait for the inevitable Wayne Ellington for the max signing

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Coach Stack with assistant coach Sheed

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Another year, another 9 seed. Gotta move Faried, Arthur, and finally roll Wilson Chandler's corpse off the boat. It's time. Unfortunately, exactly none of those things is going to happen

3 and D SF or playmaking PG. Maybe a Bridges? No idea. Who's good in the end lotto range?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It’s very exciting that a third seed is the first team eliminated.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Indeed.

Welcome Portland Trailblazer fans. What does the future hold for you?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Portland should try to hold everything together as best they can, but Nurkic is going to get a healthy contract from somewhere and I am not sure which of their other, expendable contracts are easily dumpable. No Nurkic means a big drop in defense I think.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

Portland should try to hold everything together as best they can, but Nurkic is going to get a healthy contract from somewhere and I am not sure which of their other, expendable contracts are easily dumpable. No Nurkic means a big drop in defense I think.

Hmm why do you think they should hold everything together? Dame just had his best year by a mile, they outperformed all expectations, got the third seed and proceeded to vomit all over themselves in the postseason. They are absolutely not equipped to be successful in the playoffs and they have some of the worst contracts in the NBA - I thought the consensus was that Olshey and Stotts are in huge danger of losing their jobs and anyone but Dame is available to be shipped out. You're the first person that I've seen suggest they keep it the same, can you elaborate on why? Not saying you're wrong, it's tougher to blow a team up than people think, but I don't see how Portland gets better with this current set of players

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hmm why do you think they should hold everything together? Dame just had his best year by a mile, they outperformed all expectations, got the third seed and proceeded to vomit all over themselves in the postseason. They are absolutely not equipped to be successful in the playoffs and they have some of the worst contracts in the NBA - I thought the consensus was that Olshey and Stotts are in huge danger of losing their jobs and anyone but Dame is available to be shipped out. You're the first person that I've seen suggest they keep it the same, can you elaborate on why? Not saying you're wrong, it's tougher to blow a team up than people think, but I don't see how Portland gets better with this current set of players

By this logic you'd blow up the Warriors the offseason before they won their first finals. Or the Raptors who right now have a the best vegas odds of making the Finals. It is really hard to get a team to around 50 wins and you almost always need some stroke of luck to take the next leap. Lillard and McCollum are both in their prime, Nurkic is promising and seems to be a good fit. I mean, if you can dump Harkless or Turner's contracts for cheap absolutely. You never know if you might find a draft gem late or sign a guy who blows up. I don't think you ever should try to blow up a team that got a home court advantage in the West, regardless what a knee-jerk playoff series reaction is.

For what it's worth, the difference between 3 and 6 (and even 3 and 9) was unusually close this year so I don't think this is a giant failure like other seasons would be. They got a bad matchup and went against a red-hot Pelicans team, it happens.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

By this logic you'd blow up the Warriors the offseason before they won their first finals. Or the Raptors who right now have a the best vegas odds of making the Finals. It is really hard to get a team to around 50 wins and you almost always need some stroke of luck to take the next leap. Lillard and McCollum are both in their prime, Nurkic is promising and seems to be a good fit. I mean, if you can dump Harkless or Turner's contracts for cheap absolutely. You never know if you might find a draft gem late or sign a guy who blows up. I don't think you ever should try to blow up a team that got a home court advantage in the West, regardless what a knee-jerk playoff series reaction is.

For what it's worth, the difference between 3 and 6 (and even 3 and 9) was unusually close this year so I don't think this is a giant failure like other seasons would be. They got a bad matchup and went against a red-hot Pelicans team, it happens.

I get your point. 3rd in the west is a legitimate achievement no matter what happens after the postseason starts, I guess the sweep just makes it really insulting and disappointing for the short term. However this leads me to wonder: which wonderfully unlucky team is going to end up with Evan Turner

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Scott's should not be fired.

I'm skeptical on Nurkic, but he's still fairly young.

Collins looks like their big of the future.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hornets have a lot of decent players on big contracts, I sort of wouldn’t be surprised to see them take on an Evan Turner type for a spare first-rounder

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/988085761600901122?s=21

It’s really hard to get a read on where this team is going. I assume a Fiz or Messina hire would mean they’re keeping Kemba but who knows

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Scott's should not be fired.

I'm skeptical on Nurkic, but he's still fairly young.

Collins looks like their big of the future.

Portland's defense has gotten significantly better since adding Nurkic. Eye test he seems good but maybe not great, stats impact he's probably 3rd for DPOY. I suspect players don't even want to drive at him and settle for worse shots.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I get your point. 3rd in the west is a legitimate achievement no matter what happens after the postseason starts, I guess the sweep just makes it really insulting and disappointing for the short term. However this leads me to wonder: which wonderfully unlucky team is going to end up with Evan Turner

Their contract situation is real bad, but may as well play it out and see what happens. I dunno if anybody would take Turner, and I think you just have to see if Harkless lives up to that contract.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Turner:

-can't shoot
-horrible contract
-from Chicago
-weird

Sounds like a bull

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Stotts should stick around

Olshey should have been fired on the spot for the Turner contract. Imagine if the Turner money went to an actual good player

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Something I think worth mentioning though is that of the teams in that 3-9 range, only Portland and OKC didn't have a major player miss significant (20+ games) time. I know injuries happen but if they had had one of those injuries as well, or the injuries for the stars that did miss time weren't as bad, there's a good chance they miss the playoffs.

I'm not saying they didn't deserve the 3 seed, but they also pretty clearly weren't the third best team, either. Or at least that's how I look at it.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Portland has to hope it can move a bad contract for a good PF / wing. The most egregious thing about their contact situation is the length of them. If turner had one year left at his current money it wouldn't be so hard to trade him.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
For example imagine if we got Mirotic instead of being carved up by him.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I'm hoping Orlando has the opportunity for Doncic but if they fall outside of the top 2 then I'll settle for either Bamba or Trae Young. I'm not high on Porter, Bagley, or Ayton but I hardly watch college ball nowadays

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BIZORT posted:

I'm hoping Orlando has the opportunity for Doncic but if they fall outside of the top 2 then I'll settle for either Bamba or Trae Young. I'm not high on Porter, Bagley, or Ayton but I hardly watch college ball nowadays

So much depends on the coach they get it’s hard for me to even say who I’d like

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Man I'm sick of fishing. we used to be talked about as a big thing in basketball...to be fair no one got more press than the yanks but hell the knicks used to get as much respect as the giants did. now they are sub isles status in ny media.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

He'll come back to the Celtics and be decent again for the league min.

Actual answer: Grizzlies

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdZSK7fIBW8

Not getting swept by the Warriors is pretty decent considering how hosed up this season has been for the Spurs. I don't even care how the Kawhi situation plays out, I just want it to get resolved somehow so the team won't be hobbled again next year.

I hope Pop is doing OK.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
it was a truly bizarre season for the spurs

i think next season is going to be absolutely critical for the franchise

it'll be interesting to see how everything shakes out

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Heat and Spurs.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Happy we got to the playoffs this year and happy to have been able to watch the 76ers win their first playoff series since 2012.

But, yeah, this Heat team is pretty much topped out for the next three years. At least they have a pick next year.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Frustrating season from the Spurs, but Aldridge really showed a ton of heart this year and I'm happy he's a spur. It's gonna either be the craziest off season ever for the Spurs, or totally boring if Kawhi just signs the supermax, but either way it'll make for a good season next year.

I think the conference semis and onward are going to have some great basketball I just pray the Warriors don't win again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Frustrated posted:

Frustrating season from the Spurs, but Aldridge really showed a ton of heart this year and I'm happy he's a spur. It's gonna either be the craziest off season ever for the Spurs, or totally boring if Kawhi just signs the supermax, but either way it'll make for a good season next year.

I think the conference semis and onward are going to have some great basketball I just pray the Warriors don't win again.

Kawhi is under contract next year and can't opt out until 19-20. I find it hard to believe he'd sit out next year and still have a career.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Salvor_Hardin posted:

He'll come back to the Celtics and be decent again for the league min.

Actual answer: Grizzlies

Don’t

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'll be sad if Manu retires, he was the only cool Spur

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MourningView posted:

Tony was never cool exactly but loving his way through his teammates’ wives with no consequences was funny

• Locked thread