Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kin posted:

I picked this up because of all the praise of the Yakuza games in the other thread (and because the pre-order came with Yakuza 0), but just found out about Kiwami.

Should i beeline towards playing that first before playing 0/6? Also, does it ever go on sale?

Play 0 before Kiwami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

precision posted:

uhh

i might have to skip that minigame

edit: okay i just looked this up on youtube and i'm laughing really hard but also embarrassed that i own this game

It's worth it to see Kiryu slowly two finger type out "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS!" and then slowly nod sagely at the screen like he just found the cure for cancer.

Also DMM is a real service and the women are actual adult film performers so be mindful if you want to google how to unlock all the videos or anything at work if that matters to you/you're at work or something. :p

It's non-interactive, but there's like a "hostess club except a lovely cheap restaurant and the women are just there to be silently groped" place you can walk through that's definitely the skeeviest thing in the series to me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 17, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sexbot9000 is my new favorite Yakuza character.

MY CIRCUITS ARE PRIMED

I DESIRE FUSION

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Goddamn this starts strong. The new feel to things is taking a bit to get used to though.

Kin posted:

I picked this up because of all the praise of the Yakuza games in the other thread (and because the pre-order came with Yakuza 0), but just found out about Kiwami.

Should i beeline towards playing that first before playing 0/6? Also, does it ever go on sale?

Play 0 first, it's both the best in the series and one of those weird situations where the prequel actually works better played first rather than in release order. Kiwami is a lot more fun with everyone already built up and characterised.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The good news is that there's nothing (other than a non-mandatory for platinum completion list item I think) but a trophy tied to the webcam activity, and the only thing you need to do to get it is pick both women once.

You also get xp for it but I didn't spend enough time on it to really see if it was worth shaming myself for that alone.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For what it's worth I played through 6 first with limited experience with the rest of the series and had a blast. Then I beat 5. Then I beat 0, and now I'm going through Kiwami. Yeah, my playthrough order makes no goddamn sense, but it's all good. I'll say the series actually does a pretty respectable job of keeping spoilers for other games in the series in check, for the most part. Like, Yakuza 6 starts essentially immediately where Yakuza 5 ends and there's very little of Yakuza 5's ending that's spoiled, and I don't think what is spoiled is that big a deal.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I gotta say, I feel like it would be better to play Kiwami first. The games refer to each other in such a way that you get a lot out of it either way, and Zero is just such a better game in important ways even though it came out before Kiwami and Kiwami has some quality of life and combat improvements. Plus Kiwami is relatively short and barebones even with the extra stuff added in compared to any other game in the series so it's going to feel a bit off if you go immediately from Zero to it.

There was a rumor that they were going to do another Zero game which would be the ultimate since you'd get the Zero level of content with Kiwami's slightly better graphics/saving anywhere/etc.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Goddamn this starts strong. The new feel to things is taking a bit to get used to though.

I know it's nothing new for video games in general, but I was blown away when I realized you can just walk over guardrails to cross the street anywhere you want now. :aaaaa:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Kin posted:

Play Zero first, please. You'll gain nothing from playing Kiwami first, and might even be OK skipping it straight to 6 after 0.

precision posted:

i'm laughing really hard but also embarrassed that i own this game

Might as well be the thread title. That's basically every game since 2, and it never stops being simultaneously hilarious and hard to describe to people without getting embarrassed.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, I wanted a physical copy to go on the shelf with the rest -- I'm almost out of room on the collection shelf! -- but man, waiting for Amazon Logistics is killing me.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Neo Rasa posted:

It's worth it to see Kiryu slowly two finger type out "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS!" and then slowly nod sagely at the screen like he just found the cure for cancer.
I T S G R O W I N G

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Kiryu being a lame old man finally comes full circle as he unleashes his deep thirst on the internet with a cry of "BOOOOOOOOOOBS", it's a goddamn story arc you philistines :argh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kiryu also had really unfortunate timing when it came to being in jail and just being completely out of touch with everything and needing to have common everyday things explained to him by randos (which is a real-life problem, like people getting out of prison recently after 10-25 years and having had zero exposure to smart phones and other shifts like job applications effectively being by internet only now).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

univbee posted:

Kiryu also had really unfortunate timing when it came to being in jail and just being completely out of touch with everything and needing to have common everyday things explained to him by randos (which is a real-life problem, like people getting out of prison recently after 10-25 years and having had zero exposure to smart phones and other shifts like job applications effectively being by internet only now).
:pseudo: that's clearly why he keeps yelling BOOOOOOBS instead of "show tits bb", he never learned proper camsite etiquette

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

univbee posted:

That’s one of the things I really love about his characterization. It rings true to me that he’s a dork who doesn’t understand this stuff.

Also stupid USPS and stupid work are preventing me and my friend from drinking the Japanese whisky I bought specifically for this occasion. :mad:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Doc Morbid posted:

:pseudo: that's clearly why he keeps yelling BOOOOOOBS instead of "show tits bb", he never learned proper camsite etiquette

And ironically that's probably a big part of why his comments stood out in the sea of other comments.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ugh. Amazon is shipping mine via FedEx. What have I done to deserve this fate?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ugh. Amazon is shipping mine via FedEx. What have I done to deserve this fate?

Just think you're going to finish Ryu Ga Hokuto before Yakuza 6.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

atholbrose posted:

Well, I wanted a physical copy to go on the shelf with the rest -- I'm almost out of room on the collection shelf! -- but man, waiting for Amazon Logistics is killing me.

Yeah, mine says "Arriving by 8PM" which means there's a chance I won't get it early enough to even get through the opening scenes, much less play some of the game, before having to start winding down for the day. I hope it's earlier rather than later, or one of those things where they've handed it off to USPS to deliver, which gets to me just before I get home from work.

I'm also excited for my box of broken glass and also some whiskey stones I'm going to use the hell out of believe you me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Just think you're going to finish Ryu Ga Hokuto before Yakuza 6.

:eng101: It's Hokutou ga gotoku.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Moe_Rahn posted:

I T S G R O W I N G

welp im spent

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

univbee posted:

:eng101: It's Hokutou ga gotoku.

That's even better than I could have possibly imagined. :3:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Kiryu is just a massive idiot, sometimes in the best way, and sometimes in the worst way

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Kiryu is just a massive idiot, sometimes in the best way, and sometimes in the worst way

I really like that he is consistently acknowledged as a stubborn idiot at some point by everyone across the series both friend and foe. But it also fits with how he chickened out and was too scared to step up in the beginning and ran away by letting himself go to jail for ten years which caused a few extremely important folks in his life to die. I can understand why he'd never want to stand down from anything ever again.

It's weird, I don't know if like, somber is the word? But I wasn't expecting this game's collectable of "photos of folks from throughout the series" to effect me as much as they did. Like finding Nishiki's photo in the basement of the Millennium Tower and stuff like that. There's some deep cuts in there from throughout the series.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 17, 2018

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I really like that he is consistently acknowledged as a stubborn idiot at some point by everyone across the series both friend and foe. But it also fits with how he chickened out and was too scared to step up in the beginning and ran away by letting himself go to jail for ten years which caused a few extremely important folks in his life to die. I can understand why he'd never want to stand down from anything ever again.

It's weird, I don't know if like, somber is the word? But I wasn't expecting this game's collectable of "photos of folks from throughout the series" to effect me as much as they did. Like finding Nishiki's photo in the basement of the Millennium Tower and stuff like that. There's some deep cuts in there from throughout the series.

Check out karaoke, too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wtf there's an auto save, what is this the 21st century???

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

If they do any other historical spin offs/prequels/anything set before 2016 they should not have auto saving in it to be "historically accurate."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

This is literally the joke they make when you start the game and give you a tutorial of sorts.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sakurazuka posted:

Welp I was going to wait to play 6 until I finished all the games I'm in the middle of at the moment, but now...

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm a few hours in and this Yuta kid is the drat best

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

I'm a few hours in and this Yuta kid is the drat best

He better for having survived Battle Royale.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Neo Rasa posted:

yeah that's the thing that confuses me most about the beginning of 6. Like Kiryu don't you remember what happened to everyone you loved the last time you took an unnecessary prison sentence? don't loving do it!!!!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I know it's nothing new for video games in general, but I was blown away when I realized you can just walk over guardrails to cross the street anywhere you want now. :aaaaa:

Sakurazuka posted:

Just wanted to say I went out and bought Y6 on my lunch hour based on these two posts. Kinda want to leave work early.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

More than anything so far in the time I spent playing the Y6 Demo yesterday I missed money flying out of enemies when I punched them :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I know it's probably just being a low level, but fighting feels a lot slower in Y6 than 0 or Kiwami.

With that said, the fact that you start with the ability to swing enemies at other enemies right away is just :discourse: so god drat good

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just wanted to say I went out and bought Y6 on my lunch hour based on these two posts. Kinda want to leave work early.

The big game-changer for me was seamless transitions between inside and outside shops. Nothing like having a fight break out in a Poppo and just demolishing all the shelves and having the clerk get enormously mad at you and having to shut down the store for cleanup for a while (there's a trophy for doing this, too).

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
It's funny to think it took this long for the Yakuza series to have ragdoll physics.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have ordered my special broken glass edition, but I've still got Yakuza 0 and 5 to finish. So.....go on without me, thread. I'll catch up to ya.:madmax:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I have ordered my special broken glass edition, but I've still got Yakuza 0 and 5 to finish. So.....go on without me, thread. I'll catch up to ya.:madmax:

As someone who just beat 6, 5, and 0, in that order, you can totally just play 6. Or play them all at once.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Just picked my copy up a while ago, but unfortunately I’m a tax guy, and today is tax day, so I won’t even get home til midnight, so I probably won’t be able to play any before I start streaming tomorrow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fan-art book is so cute.

I don't know when I will have time to play Yakuza 6 but I'm so glad to have it and I hope to be able to enjoy time with my best friend Kiryu Kazuma soon.

• Locked thread