Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
This game is also hated by the alleged hardcore Yakuza fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'll reserve judgement until after completing it but so far I'm pretty impressed by the changes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Hardcore fans are dumbasses.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wish they had waited to do Kiwami on this engine because there's no possible way I can go back to save points and building transitions.

Also being able to buy throw combos and grab escapes right out of the gate is a godsend, especially since every throw is now a crowd-clearing 360 swing.

On the first boss I hit him with a giant heat mode combo starting at just above 50% health and did so much damage the two cutscene combos triggered one after another and he was 1 jab away from defeat when he finally went into heat mode. :discourse:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 18, 2018

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hardcore fans are dumbasses.

They changed it, now it sucks.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, I just played for, like, eight hours, but I got almost nowhere. Goddamn RIZAP and it's twelve restaurant-scouring missions. I'm sure it isn't the last time I'll spend a ridiculous amount of time on an optional part of the game, though.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm undecided on whether I like the new system more but I'm keeping an open mind and I'm also happy to accept that even if I decide I prefer 0's combat to 6's that we might need a transition game before they really get it right and that FotNS and Kiwami 2 will probably be better. Big changes and all.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Adaptabullshit posted:

They changed it, now it sucks.

I miss Zero's darts. Now I can barely hit the board. Just like real life.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Hip deep in Y0's Majima cabaret simulator, but thrilled with the impressions so far.

Adaptabullshit posted:

gently caress that anachronistic fun-hating grognard bullshit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm undecided on whether I like the new system more but I'm keeping an open mind and I'm also happy to accept that even if I decide I prefer 0's combat to 6's that we might need a transition game before they really get it right and that FotNS and Kiwami 2 will probably be better. Big changes and all.

FOTNS uses the old engine.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah there's a demo for Fist of the North Star on the Japanese PSN you can get right now if you want. Has both a Tutorial and a small prologue you can dick around in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What are the phrases that Kiryu says after he finishes a random fight

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

atholbrose posted:

Well, I just played for, like, eight hours, but I got almost nowhere. Goddamn RIZAP and it's twelve restaurant-scouring missions. I'm sure it isn't the last time I'll spend a ridiculous amount of time on an optional part of the game, though.

Isn't spending 100 hours doing dumb poo poo foundational to the Yakuza experience?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All the grinding I did in the demo paid off as when I started the full game I basically instantly completed the RIZAP Challenge Series

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I DESIRE FUSION

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Alcoholism edition of this game is :swoon:

Have shifted stuff around in the schedule so I can drink Nikka Coffey Grain and play this on Thurs and Fri. Glasses were well packed, love the art book, and enjoyed the 6 demo a lot.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Crying baby quest was amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Adaptabullshit posted:

Hardcore yakuza fanboy #3 here and I have to say
This game is rad in every way!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Adaptabullshit posted:

That's insanely hosed up considering how good it is. I do think just due to when and how they got released, that people are seeing everything about Yakuza 6 as a departure from Zero and Kiwami, when in reality it's very solid continuation and sequel to everything in Yakuza 5 from the style of the music to the little odd side spaces you walk around to between buildings to how the combat works to the story themes and so on. I think a lot of people are just seeing "only one fighting style" and "not 60FPS" and calling it a day.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Imagine being a hardcore yakuza fan and not appreciating the game changing ability to walk in and out of stores without a loading screen

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I really like how all the side stories around the cemetery in Onimichi are all Manga Deep Cut: The Video Game. :3: Seaside ghosts are real, boyfriend and girlfriend swapping bodies (OR DID THEY?!), Someone trying to break up a couple but only to test how much they love each other, girl's soul traveling a few years into past, it's awesome.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

nachos posted:

Imagine being a hardcore yakuza fan and not appreciating the game changing ability to walk in and out of stores without a loading screen

Seriously, it's a no-contest tradeoff. Also the ability to run from random fights or at least troll them to another location.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nachos posted:

Plus they finally really for real got it so you can seamlessly enter and exit combat without having to cut away from the game play. That's something people have literally asked for since Yakuza 1.

I actually hadn't tried out on the demo for 6 so my first exposure to the new engine was actually Kiwami 2 demo when it first went up and WOW. Like yeah I know this isn't a huge deal in terms of big budget games in general but being able to smoothly get into combat, out of it, open up a door and order food, leave, then get into another fight that ended up breaking into a place all one after the other without a loading screen? Hell yes it was a revelation.

This has me even more super hyped for Shin Yakuza since this engine has such a foundation in it for how the Yakuza games would ideally work. Like we're going to get a totally new main character with new moves and stuff and a new story and cast of regulars in this engine and it will be the third game they've done on it so they'll really know what they're doing? :black101: Like I'll probably go back to the old ways and import it ASAP and then buy it and play it again in English.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 18, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Hell yes it was a revelation.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Is there a side quest tracker thing I can get in this game

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I genuinely love that Kiryu has a modern mobile phone in 6 technically but it's a Sony so it's still technically a super outdated artifact of a bygone time (I mean obviously I like Sony's video game products but their phones :laffo: ).

That said, him having the flip phone in prior years was kind of realistic in retrospect. I still see older people with them pretty regularly. I mean they're like insanely cheap and if all you really do on it is phone calls, texting, email, and a simple game or two why drop $$$ on a mobile data plan and all that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I genuinely love that Kiryu has a modern mobile phone in 6 technically but it's a Sony so it's still technically a super outdated artifact of a bygone time (I mean obviously I like Sony's video game products but their phones :laffo: ).

To be fair, the game was out in late 2016 in Japan.

I had that exact phone until earlier this year, even (Sony Xperia Z5 Premium), got mine in early 2016. Now my son uses it sans SIM card for YouTube videos.

No idea how Sony phones perform market-wise in Japan, although Android phones in general are more popular as the iPhone was late the party in Japan and somewhat limited in Japan-specific features (e.g. support for features relating to natural disasters, they were doing pay-with-tap back when the 3G was the newest iPhone).

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 18, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Xperias are pretty decently popular. I mean they sure don't do Samsung numbers, but they do fine for themselves.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Is there a side quest tracker thing I can get in this game

They did us one better and have a your current sub story highlighted when you pause the game, and you'll see stuff pop up on the map as you get into the general vicinity of a situation you've started. The will have little speech balloons as you wander around, blue for sub stories, purple for trouble alert stuff. Blue/purple* dots are folks you want to speak to to continue/finish stuff. I like it. They finally found a way to have it so you wander around a little aimlessly at first but still get a map indicator when you're close.

*I'm slightly color blind so actual color of blue/gray-green/purple highlighted stuff may vary.**

**I loving hate the disco mini-game in Yakuza 0.***

***Why Yakuza 0. Why.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

univbee posted:

To be fair, the game was out in late 2016 in Japan.

I had that exact phone until earlier this year, even (Sony Xperia Z5 Premium), got mine in early 2016. Now my son uses it sans SIM card for YouTube videos.

No idea how Sony phones perform market-wise in Japan, although Android phones in general are more popular as the iPhone was late the party in Japan and somewhat limited in Japan-specific features (e.g. support for features relating to natural disasters, they were doing pay-with-tap back when the 3G was the newest iPhone).

kirbysuperstar posted:

Xperias are pretty decently popular. I mean they sure don't do Samsung numbers, but they do fine for themselves.

Yeah I just remember years ago they had a few phones in a row that fell flat. I mean it's not like he's rolling a Windows Phone. :D

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I bet Kiryu would love the Palm Pre

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I just remember years ago they had a few phones in a row that fell flat. I mean it's not like he's rolling a Windows Phone. :D

Windows Phone would have been too unbelievably out-of-touch even for Kiryu. Last time I checked Blackberry in Japan was a rounding error and still higher than Windows Phone.

Also Xperia is still kicking for now, they just launched a new model.

Oh yeah, Android phones tend to have special hardware allowing access to Japan-only OTA television signals, too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

univbee posted:

Windows Phone would have been too unbelievably out-of-touch even for Kiryu. Last time I checked Blackberry in Japan was a rounding error and still higher than Windows Phone.

Also Xperia is still kicking for now, they just launched a new model.

Oh yeah, Android phones tend to have special hardware allowing access to Japan-only OTA television signals, too.

[Sub Story Jingle]
"If I had a Blackberry, I could type about boobs to that woman on the computer even on the go!"
[/Sub Story Jingle]

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I, for one, am very disappointed that there are only two cam girls I can chicken-peck my way into their heart. What a rip-off! What do I do with all the points I bought now?!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Neo Rasa posted:

They did us one better and have a your current sub story highlighted when you pause the game, and you'll see stuff pop up on the map as you get into the general vicinity of a situation you've started. The will have little speech balloons as you wander around, blue for sub stories, purple for trouble alert stuff. Blue/purple* dots are folks you want to speak to to continue/finish stuff. I like it. They finally found a way to have it so you wander around a little aimlessly at first but still get a map indicator when you're close.

*I'm slightly color blind so actual color of blue/gray-green/purple highlighted stuff may vary.**

**I loving hate the disco mini-game in Yakuza 0.***

***Why Yakuza 0. Why.

Nah I mean a way to see them on the map before you've started them. Unless that's what you're talking about and I just don't get it, but I didn't see any markers for the like 3 I started in chapter 1 last night.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

abraxas posted:

I, for one, am very disappointed that there are only two cam girls I can chicken-peck my way into their heart. What a rip-off! What do I do with all the points I bought now?!

This actually is a very realistic depiction of how DMM makes money across all of their standard and adult streaming services.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

This actually is a very realistic depiction of how DMM makes money across all of their standard and adult streaming services.

Basically everyone who sells points does so in a way that's impractical to use them all "cleanly", even outside the adult world, like the infamous Wii Points and Microsoft Points.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Kamurocho is just different enough from how I remember it, so now I can't fully navigate it by rote. This game fuckin' sucks.

Seriously, though, I only got about 3 or 4 hours in last night because apparently PS4 (or maybe just mine) won't install update files in sleep mode, so I wasted an extra hour or so thinking that my PS4 was doing a thing I wanted it to. But this is fantastic so far, and I'm really excited to raise this drat baby.

I also love that they got the "Kiryu makes arguably the worst possible decisions but solves it with the power of fists and friendship" out of the way very early. Very good stuff.

univbee posted:

Basically everyone who sells points does so in a way that's impractical to use them all "cleanly", even outside the adult world, like the infamous Wii Points and Microsoft Points.

This is basically a ploy to keep you coming back so you don't feel like you've left points on the table, right?

Live Chat is probably the creepiest I've ever felt playing this game, and the fact that there are bonuses attached to doing it enough means I'm probably going to have to do it again at some point.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
spoiler stuff

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SpacePig posted:

This is basically a ploy to keep you coming back so you don't feel like you've left points on the table, right?

Yeah, and you usually can't get a small enough number of points to just get the one thing you actually want.

Pretty sure that strategy was outlawed in much of developed world, along with things like gift certificates expiring or having artificial usage restrictions that aren't tied to a legal thing (e.g. supermarket gift cards generally can't be used for things like tobacco, lottery tickets, booze etc.)

• Locked thread