Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
While I was doing the live chat stuff I was secretly hoping the chat user IHUNTBEARS was actually Saejima doing the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Ryuga Death posted:

In case you guys didn't know, don't forget to go back to New Serena for a present (a rainbow bun). If you want another one, go to the rooftop of New Serena to find a safe, input KP56VFA9MX2B7LH for another rainbow bun plus a million yen.

Found the code thanks to this reddit thread. If this counts a spoiler, let me know and I'll change it.

Just personal opinion here, but unless there's no way to get that code in-game, then it's probably a spoiler. I found that safe on my own, and figured that a code would be made available in time, since random safes seem to have replaced locker keys in this one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SpacePig posted:

This is basically a ploy to keep you coming back so you don't feel like you've left points on the table, right?

Yup. Even before digital currency point stuff multipacks of products are carefully designed around this to try to get you to buy the largest quantities possible for what the product/price is. On top of that with digital points, gems, crystals and stuff you see in free to play games and services it's the same thing. It's a psychological abstraction where their ideal customer thinks "oh, it's just 30 more gems for this fun thing I like" instead of "oh, I have to spend $10 to keep having fun" which will make someone more likely to be casual about spending more money on it.

It's skeevy but it's capitalism so it's not quite outlawed, there's a huge market of mobile games that make insane money off of just that. And while it did come up as a topic in gaming publications after Star Wars: Battlefront II came out, the endgame of how it's basically a way to have gambling that's accessible to children to get folks even more trained to drop money in that way hasn't quite caught on with folks yet. With home consoles you're dropping money on games straight up and already dropping hundreds on the console/accessories itself so that's why they were the first to go from points to just having an actual monetary price.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Just personal opinion here, but unless there's no way to get that code in-game, then it's probably a spoiler. I found that safe on my own, and figured that a code would be made available in time, since random safes seem to have replaced locker keys in this one.

IIRC the codes aren't found in game but rather in the comics and stuff on the website. You find multiple halves of codes and then have to figure out which two halves go together to form one complete safe code. Like a more busy work version of the Martian Buddy website having the safe code to let you get the chaingun early in Doom 3 and similar stuff.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I'll remove the post. Sorry about that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The codes for the safe and clan creator aren't spoilers at all since you can't get them in game.

Arguably you could say the codes for guest cameo characters for the Clan Creator storyline are kind of spoilers (although they've been pretty common knowledge forever I guess there might be some fans who aren't aware they're in), but the bar safe definitely 100% isn't.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I need that code when I get home, don't remove it.

I mean I could just google it but it's the principle of the thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder if whatever company in charge of importing Suntory to America is going to look at their numbers and wonder why there was a strange spike in sales this week.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Okay, I didn't know it was out-of-game bonus stuff. I thought finding passwords was going to replace finding locker keys or something. Sorry.

Sindai posted:

Yeah I need that code when I get home, don't remove it.

I mean I could just google it but it's the principle of the thing.

If they remove it, it's still spoilered in my quote, so you can find it there.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder if whatever company in charge of importing Suntory to America is going to look at their numbers and wonder why there was a strange spike in sales this week.

“I need this to uhhhhhhhh help raise a child. Yeah.”

Babquest best quest. Helps get you some of that Green Exp.

History Comes Inside! posted:

The codes for the safe and clan creator aren't spoilers at all since you can't get them in game.

Arguably you could say the codes for guest cameo characters for the Clan Creator storyline are kind of spoilers (although they've been pretty common knowledge forever I guess there might be some fans who aren't aware they're in), but the bar safe definitely 100% isn't.

I know one of the codes given outside of the game gives you someone you’re definitely not supposed to have until waaaaaaay later in the plot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I always wondered about that, I mean obviously any product placement spreads the word, but like, are there any numbers in how effective that is in Japan also, are only the real maniacs dropping $$$ on whiskey because they saw it in a video game? I know the establishments in the games based on real places would briefly do a Yakuza related beverage or whatever also. I really am curious if any of the games coming out actually did impact Suntory/their distributors/anyone else's bottom line in a noticeable way. I mean I'm assuming it must a little bit or you wouldn't still see the stuff in the games but still.

Like is Yakuza still big in Japan? There was one point where Yakuza 3 was briefly on the charts in Japan next to stuff like MGS4 and Final Fantasy XIII and 4 had a ton of stuff going on in Japan too.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Are the load times when exiting a game in the arcade really long for anyone else or is my PS4 just dying? It's weird that everything loads pretty quick but after I exit a game of Outrun it needs a full minute to load the actual game again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Are the load times when exiting a game in the arcade really long for anyone else or is my PS4 just dying? It's weird that everything loads pretty quick but after I exit a game of Outrun it needs a full minute to load the actual game again.

I noticed this too. I think it's because it's loading a little bit of everything that can happen in the arcades at once to keep the load times a little shorter when you decide to start a game and that would include Virtua Fighter 5 so it's not quite keeping that chunk of the city intact once you enter a game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

widespread posted:

I know one of the codes given outside of the game gives you someone you’re definitely not supposed to have until waaaaaaay later in the plot.

This is true for pretty much 1/2-1/3rd of the codes, but I also feel like it's kind of obvious how that part of the story is going to play out given the usual tropes so really nothing is "spoiled", as it were.

Plus the code versions are better then the default versions because ?

I made do without them for my first play through for the sake of keeping it challenging but this time around I'm just going to use whatever since it's the save I'll be going for completion on.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kiryu can parry now? Was this in 0/Kiwami?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol the fight with (chapter 2) Akiyama. *gently puts baby back in bed* *completely loving destroys nursery*

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Sakurazuka posted:

lol the fight with (chapter 2) Akiyama. *gently puts baby back in bed* *completely loving destroys nursery*

In that fight, I managed to get about halfway through his health bar before I got shoved back into Haruto's crib, instantly teleporting him into one further back. I was pretty proud of myself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I love how when you get into fights later on when carrying Haruto around Kiryu's just like here, hold this to some random person.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the safe keys seem to be near the safe it unlocks so look around.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'm gonna tell you guys a little secret. I've never been so startled in my life like the goddamn SEGA stinger whenever I start this game startles me. It's like 10 times as loud as my system menu music (corn love 4 eva btw) and I'm usually doing some other crap and settling in while the game loads. So without fail, every time, I poo poo my pants when I start this game.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
What is everyones favorite Yakuza-series trope? Mine is ”Low-level guy picks a fight with Yakuza and ends up becoming his follower/friend”

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Shirtless fistfights will never die in my heart

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Adaptabullshit posted:

What is everyones favorite Yakuza-series trope? Mine is ”Low-level guy picks a fight with Yakuza and ends up becoming his follower/friend”

Followed by "fights both his old and new friends who are trying to stop Kiryu from making a really insane decision but he just knows he's right this time, dammit"

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
No wait my real favorite is "sub story is clearly just this dude scamming Kiryu, Kiryu realizes fifteen minutes later, beats his money out of the man while explaining why it's not nice to deceive people"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kiryu sighed as he drew his katanafists

"THIS...GUY...IS...INHUMAN!"

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I also like that all roads lead to Kamurocho

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite is that major story bad guys are always killed by themselves, other bad guys, or maybe other good guys because playable characters are not allowed to kill anyone ever.

Also, rubber bullets.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sindai posted:

My favorite is that major story bad guys are always killed by themselves, other bad guys, or maybe other good guys because playable characters are not allowed to kill anyone ever.

The Japanese rating system has all sorts of rules about that sort of stuff, which I imagine the Ryu ga Gotoku series toes quite a bit to keep their CERO rating at a manageable D (roughly M-rating equivalent). Involving killing gets murky and could well push things into CERO Z territory (like the ESRB's AO sort-of; games can at least be released and exist, but there are strict must-have-government-ID rules for buying copies including on PSN, to the point where a few noteworthy games got both a CERO Z and a CERO D version in Japan). By comparison basically all Western-developed M-rated open world games are Z-rated in Japan, including the Infamous series and even Retro City Rampage.

Sindai posted:

Also, rubber bullets.

People getting the everloving poo poo beaten out of them with like super-swollen faces and being knocked unconscious, being mostly healed in a following scene which takes place like 20 minutes later, and fully healed in the next scene which takes place a few hours after that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
My favorite Yakuza trope is "Kiryu, the Tojo are having problems, but it's not your concern anymore. You don't need to get involved." *gets involved pretty much entirely by accident*

2nd to that is "This Kiryu guy is really giving us the business. Let's threaten something or someone he loves. That'll make him back off!" *gets mouth punched off*

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I think my favorite is "I was only pretending to be bad to see if you could be trusted... but turns out I actually am bad"

Not referring to anything specific in 6 (that I know of)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I think my favorite is "I was only pretending to be bad to see if you could be trusted... but turns out I actually am bad"

Not referring to anything specific in 6 (that I know of)

I think Joon-Gi Han counts? Goes from Owner of Stardust to Leader of the Jingweon Mafia. And he even knows a bit about the Secret of Onomichi.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

my favorite trope is "there's a traitor in the tojo clan" because without a skip, it will always happen every 2 years

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I like how Kiryu is oblivious to basically every bit of romantic attention towards himself. Outside of that, and not particular to the series but certainly a part of it, are the NANI??? moments.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

SpacePig posted:

2nd to that is "This Kiryu guy is really giving us the business. Let's threaten something or someone he loves. That'll make him back off!" *gets mouth punched off*

Especially since, statistically speaking, everyone involved in the decision to threaten Kiryu has already gotten their face remodelled by Kiryu 1.6 times already.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
just played my first game of baseball, lost 18-20. why's my team so dejected. why were the other guys so high and mighty. we did loving great, godddammit

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Ratoslov posted:

Especially since, statistically speaking, everyone involved in the decision to threaten Kiryu has already gotten their face remodelled by Kiryu 1.6 times already.

"I know that guy has already thrown more than a dozen of us into the bay, smashed at least 3 people into cars, and just casually sidestepped that missile I just launched at him, but maybe now if enough of us try to punch him at once, we can really get him."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SpacePig posted:

"I know that guy has already thrown more than a dozen of us into the bay, smashed at least 3 people into cars, and just casually sidestepped that missile I just launched at him, but maybe now if enough of us try to punch him at once, we can really get him."

tbf maybe they know fhat Kiryu has never actually killed anyone

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm the street tough that's been living in Kamurocho for the past 10 years who is still not aware of the walking god of destruction in a white suit walking around, I'm gonna beat him up and take his wallet.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Adaptabullshit posted:

This game is also hated by the alleged hardcore Yakuza fans

played them all it's the same poo poo but better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm the street tough that's been living in Kamurocho for the past 10 years who is still not aware of the walking god of destruction in a white suit walking around, I'm gonna beat him up and take his wallet.

Sure, this guy might look ripped beyond our imaginations, but he's also, like, 50, so I bet he's easy pickings.

• Locked thread