Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SpacePig posted:

My favorite Yakuza trope is "Kiryu, the Tojo are having problems, but it's not your concern anymore. You don't need to get involved." *gets involved pretty much entirely by accident*

It's still cool that Dead Souls, the non-canon zombie spinoff, was the one to call out Kiryu for just coming back all the time to wreck poo poo and leave once he beat all the troublemakers up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm the street tough that's been living in Kamurocho for the past 10 years who is still not aware of the walking god of destruction in a white suit walking around, I'm gonna beat him up and take his wallet.

Kiryu has been in jail and Okinawa. A new generation of thugs have swooped in and know Kiryu only by his legend.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Neo Rasa posted:

I love how when you get into fights later on when carrying Haruto around Kiryu's just like here, hold this to some random person.

I'm imagining a substory revelation in which it's always the same person who takes care of the baby and they just follow Kiryu around with a lot of disguises.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Just got my broken glass edition, and I'm probably going to have to return it as the broken glass seems to have been assembled into cup shapes during transit.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hell of a lot quicker through when you can skip all the cutscenes, 90 minutes in and I'm at the end of chapter 3 having done all the chapter 1 substories and a small amount of mini game xp grinding.

Pro tip: max out the increased technique xp skill first because you get 4/5s of gently caress all later in the game whilst you drown in every other colour.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
there is one method I have found to getting good amounts of Technique XP

B O O B I E S

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

LostRook posted:

Just got my broken glass edition, and I'm probably going to have to return it as the broken glass seems to have been assembled into cup shapes during transit.

It's actually a neat cosplay set. One of the first things to happen in 6 is that a glass gets smashed, and they want fans to be able to recreate the opening of their favorite new game.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

CharlestonJew posted:

there is one method I have found to getting good amounts of Technique XP

B O O B I E S

I've trained my entire life to finally learn I can become a more dangerous combatant by typing about titties on the internet. Thank you, Kazuma Kiryu, you have touched yet another life.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
there is some really sinister sounding music for this substory about freaky friday

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Capsaicin posted:

there is some really sinister sounding music for this substory about freaky friday

I posted about it eariler but wasn't sure where to go with it. I got a few sub stories in a row around the general vicinity of the Onimichi graveyard that feel like they're meant to evoke various teens in a small town dealing with paranormal stuff manga/anime from back in the day to the point where I think it's intentional focused homage and not just a few random references. There's some super deep cut references to classic manga in other parts of the game like the book shop in Kamurocho called Jungle Boy too.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
My husband keeps commenting about how young Kiryu looks for a guy who has spent years behind bars and is pushing 50. "Do they sell moisturizer at the prison salon?"

Also, fishing is my favorite minigame this time around. Gotta love harpooning tiny fish.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

twistedbutterfly posted:

fishing is my favorite minigame

I haven't gotten to Y6's fishing yet, but these words make no sense to me in this order

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Chapter 2 spoilers: We were yelling at the screen throughout that segment: 'Kiryu you RUN AN ORPHANAGE just tell him YOU RUN AN ORPHANAGE how the gently caress did you not get legal guardianship sorted out over a 10-year-period'

Mahjong has new animations and no more super league. Good on both counts.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Probably stupid question about the New Serena safe code someone posted earlier. I... don't have a safe on the roof of New Serena? I'm only in chapter 2 if that matters. Or I'm an idiot. Potentially both.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

abraxas posted:

Probably stupid question about the New Serena safe code someone posted earlier. I... don't have a safe on the roof of New Serena? I'm only in chapter 2 if that matters. Or I'm an idiot. Potentially both.

Wait poo poo. I’m on chapter 4 and can I go back to Kamurocho at any time because while I want to get to Clan Creation, I do want my 2nd bun.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

abraxas posted:

You definitely do, it's there from the very beginning of the game. Go all the way up the outdoor staircase, it's between the big metal ventilation unit looking things on the actual rooftop.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I love the fishing minigame.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can't believe you can text back to the Tips with stickers, and the Tips respond to it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stelas posted:

Chapter 2 spoilers: We were yelling at the screen throughout that segment: 'Kiryu you RUN AN ORPHANAGE just tell him YOU RUN AN ORPHANAGE how the gently caress did you not get legal guardianship sorted out over a 10-year-period'

Mahjong has new animations and no more super league. Good on both counts.

I'd like to imagine everytime the paperwork came in the mail that he puts it aside and then something happens like a dude washing up on the beach or getting evicted.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

exploded mummy posted:

I'd like to imagine everytime the paperwork came in the mail that he puts it aside and then something happens like a dude washing up on the beach or getting evicted.

Haruka did the paperwork. All of it. She could have easily transitioned to paralegal work after the idol thing fell though if, y'know, this game hadn't happened.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yakuza Studio reportedly working on new IP for consoles on top of Shin Yakuza.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Are you scripted to lose the first Baseball game because I obliterated the enemy team until the final inning where they suddenly got sixteen points in a row and ended the game 21-22

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Danaru posted:

Are you scripted to lose the first Baseball game because I obliterated the enemy team until the final inning where they suddenly got sixteen points in a row and ended the game 21-22

Yeah first time is unwinnable to set up the rest of the substory chain.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stelas posted:

:laffo: Same, but IIRC didn't he relinquish ownership of it in Yakuza 5? I thought Mirei Park (Haruka's manager) took ownership of it officially or something. Doesn't explain what happened after that character exited stage left though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

We will never get Binary Domain 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

abraxas posted:

I, for one, am very disappointed that there are only two cam girls I can chicken-peck my way into their heart. What a rip-off! What do I do with all the points I bought now?!

I like that one of the guys in the chat rooms is named "rocklobster420"

The translators really know their Western audience

Also, if the framerate while walking around is giving you fits (or whatever you call that "jaggy" looking thing it does), try first person mode. For me at least, the game world animates way smoother in FP. Also it looks rad! I spent literally 20 minutes smoking a joint and watching commercials on one of the TVs in Theater Square.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

:laffo: Same, but IIRC didn't he relinquish ownership of it in Yakuza 5? I thought Mirei Park (Haruka's manager) took ownership of it officially or something. Doesn't explain what happened after that character exited stage left though.

god I'd forgotten that. It's still a weird plothole though, and the speed in which that situation is both set up and resolved definitely makes it feel like a really clumsy strawman to complain about CPS for a while.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stelas posted:

god I'd forgotten that. It's still a weird plothole though, and the speed in which that situation is both set up and resolved definitely makes it feel like a really clumsy strawman to complain about CPS for a while.

I dunno, I wish Western game designers would introduce poo poo like that.

"Well gee, I would say go to the hospital, but" *looks directly at camera* "we live in the United States, where healthcare is treated as a commodity and a priviledge for the wealthy, rather than a basic human right."

Player Character: "whoa that's hosed up."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh my god I just met (Hiroshima chapter 5 side story, westmost side) Pocket Circuit Fighter and I'm legit kinda bummed :saddowns: Poor guy's fallen on hard times.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Player Character: "whoa that's hosed up."

An excellent point well made

I kind of burnt through Ch1-3 as fast as possible because I wanted to check out the new town, so hopefully I didn't miss anything. It would be kinda nice to have an Event Finder like Kiwami. Finding safe keys is going to be pretty obnoxious given how many buildings you can wander through in Kamurocho.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stelas posted:

An excellent point well made

I kind of burnt through Ch1-3 as fast as possible because I wanted to check out the new town, so hopefully I didn't miss anything. It would be kinda nice to have an Event Finder like Kiwami. Finding safe keys is going to be pretty obnoxious given how many buildings you can wander through in Kamurocho.

I found one safe key and all it had in it was a Rusty Chain Mail.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

precision posted:

I found one safe key and all it had in it was a Rusty Chain Mail.

I found Steel Underwear which, awkward implications aside, is actually a pretty decent set of armor.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Danaru posted:

Oh my god I just met (Hiroshima chapter 5 side story, westmost side) Pocket Circuit Fighter and I'm legit kinda bummed :saddowns: Poor guy's fallen on hard times.

In that same town there's also Munan Suzaki, the former leader of the Munan Chohept Onast. And he's trying to actually save people from the thing he's helped built.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just looked up the New Serena safe code online and I'm not sure I want to be that OP, I already feel bad for the one Rainbow Bun I got because street fights in chapter 2/3 are short enough already. I was hoping it had some kind of Akiyama-related item.

And why can't we change clothes until Premium Adventure still god dang it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just realized substories don't show up on the map by default again and I hate that. Please tell me the radar is somewhere easily accessible so I don't have to constantly refer to the internet for their locations.

I don't understand why they do this. Why are you hiding some of the best parts of the game from me??? :argh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This story is a fantastic cap to Kiryu's story, with a focus on generational conflict and family bonds and all, probably the best story Yakuza has had so far and I'm just on chapter 6.

But with how fuckin hot Kiryu still is despite being, what, 50 something now and having gotten out of a brutal life and prison and all, and with goddamn snacks like Someya all I'm seeing is a tale of the ancient battle between DILFs and twinks.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

precision posted:

I just looked up the New Serena safe code online and I'm not sure I want to be that OP, I already feel bad for the one Rainbow Bun I got because street fights in chapter 2/3 are short enough already. I was hoping it had some kind of Akiyama-related item.

imo the best use for the buns is to shortcut your way to 'max combo speed', but the amount of xp I was getting over time I don't think the buns are too op. I ate one bun and then nearly got destroyed in a story fight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sexpig by night posted:

But with how fuckin hot Kiryu still is despite being, what, 50 something now

I don't fine how he looks unbelievable at all. I used to work for some expat Japanese people and the owner and his wife were 60 and 45 respectively, and looked about 35 and 25 respectively.

I'm given to understand their diet is conducive to aging well, but I don't know that much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

precision posted:

I don't fine how he looks unbelievable at all. I used to work for some expat Japanese people and the owner and his wife were 60 and 45 respectively, and looked about 35 and 25 respectively.

I'm given to understand their diet is conducive to aging well, but I don't know that much about it.

oh it's not unrealistic, it just needs to be mentioned that this man is at the lowest in his low 50's and fresh outta jail after spending most of his life beating rear end professionally, dude keeps himself well and hell I support it. Self care is important, even for yakuza.

• Locked thread