Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Danaru posted:

I have unironically been learning to pull t-shirts off in one swoop ever since fighting Liquid Snake in 1998. If you grab the inside of your left collar, then pull as you swing your left arm upwards in a 270 degree angle, your shirt will hit the floor with a satisfying thud. Just don't catch your chin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
In addition to the secret codes you can enter to get super-powerful Clan Creator leaders, or the DLC you can buy for same, is there an in-game way to unlock those dudes? Just a "yes" or "no" is fine, since if it's possible I'd rather discover how on my own. Thanks in advance!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Maybe the declining sales are related to the decision to retire Kiryu as a lead. After Kiwami 2 I'll be ready for some new blood myself, but they drat well better sell me hard on Kasuga Ichiban or whatever his name is.

I mean, if it flops, they could make the Date/Sayama buddy cop game we've been wanting. poo poo, it even comes with a built in localized name: Yakuza Eater.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

I'm stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill in a dream, Scott Strichart

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Putting off the Urgent Thing I have to do in Kamurocho in chapter 11 because:

1. There’s a million substories and minigames I haven’t touched yet
2. The only reason the thing I’m supposed to be doing is urgent is because a character went somewhere without protagonist supervision
3. I want to maximize the amount of time the current objective description reads “(Character), you idiot.”

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I ended up doing the darts substory at Bantam and triggering the event that moved that plot event from "vaguely urgent" to "Kiryu drop everything and go there now no you can't get swole at RIZAP first." The following sequence was super badass though, so whatever.

fake e: I guess I could have used tags for some of that but loving lol if "this sequence was badass" is somehow a spoiler for a Yakuza video game

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Very early on in 6 (within the first two chapters) there’s a substory about a little girl in Children’s Park who wants Kiryu to find a certain item for her. I did so, after jumping through an appropriately Yakuza number of hoops, and she left the map, and the task list tells me she seemed happy. However, the substory isn’t complete (according to the awards list). I figured I needed to go away and come back later.

It’s now early in chapter 12. Night has fallen on Kamurocho. poo poo has officially gotten so Real that even the objective description is telling me “this is personal now”. But I need help because still don’t know where to go to resolve that substory, and no chance in hell will I go back to Hiroshima without every drat thing completed in this town. Except maybe Fantasy Zone, that game is garbage.

If it helps, I ported a save from the demo.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Got 50k points in fantasy zone finally. I have no idea why, since it’s not like I needed it for plat, I just didn’t want to let that lovely game beat me.

:same: except for the part where you have 50k and I can’t beat that giant tree rear end in a top hat of a boss

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Quick mahjong question: if you draw the last tile you need with a close hand, can you Riichi and then immediately Tsumo with that tile? I got insanely lucky at the Modern medium table and I want to get the most out of it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

widespread posted:

If you draw the last tile you need to make a hand, go right to Tsumo. Riichi is more to lock your hand in and start auto-discarding. The reason to try for Riichi is because declaring one automatically makes the hand- if valid- worth more.

Then you can get Ippatsu if you immediately get the next tile via draw or someone’s discard, but only if it’s still the first go round since Riichi was declared.

Yeah, safe option is definitely to Tsumo now. I'm just wondering if I could Riichi, then immediately Tsumo and Ippatsu, netting two bonus Han basically for doing nothing. Problem with that, thinking about it a little more, is that Riichi requires you to discard something. Oh well.

I guess I'll never know for sure since I care more about finishing the Awards list than making actual cash money off the tables here.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Captain Walker posted:

Very early on in 6 (within the first two chapters) there’s a substory about a little girl in Children’s Park who wants Kiryu to find a certain item for her. I did so, after jumping through an appropriately Yakuza number of hoops, and she left the map, and the task list tells me she seemed happy. However, the substory isn’t complete (according to the awards list). I figured I needed to go away and come back later.

Update on this: I’m in the Finale and still can’t find where to go to finish this substory (iirc it’s number 3 on the Awards list). Sanity check: Children’s Park is the one on west Shichifuku St., right? The map in 6 doesn’t have it as a landmark anymore. I’ve gone there during both day and night in-game, to no avail. I can’t help but think the kid saw the writing on the wall and left Japan entirely, probably taking the final cat from Onomichi with her (again, I’ve been to the area where Kai apparently spawns all three times of day on multiple occasions, and I’ve yet to see a kitty). As I mentioned before, I imported a save from the demo, but I’m pretty sure that save was on the beach in Okinawa during the prologue. Am I missing something here besides “just keep trying?”

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I'm losing my mind

I'm in the Finale and I am missing only a few Awards. The ones that are left are driving me up the goddamn wall, and I've spent the last real-time week working on them.

Not all of the remaining Awards are things I care about. I can wait till Premium Adventure to grind out max level in spearfishing. The Puyo Puyo stuff I just don't care about; I'll probably end up doing it anyway, because nothing says "I love Yakuza" like repeatedly getting dunked on by that stupid magical girl.

The three things I actually want to do are:
Befriend Kai (cat) in Onomichi: He just doesn't spawn. I've tried approaching the Hirose HQ from the south, west, and north, at all three times of day, and I have never seen a kitty nearby. This one is the least important since not completing the Cat Cafe doesn't gate other major content like the substories, but I still want the gear reward.
Substory 3 - Haruka's Biggest Fan: I gave her the picture in like Chapter 2, before going to Onomichi the first time, and the task has been sitting in my objective list since then with the description "Ayaka seemed thrilled". She hasn't appeared in Children's Park. I've approaching the park from the taxi stand nearby, walking all the way from the parking lot on the east side of the street, and even sneaking up on her by going through the sewers. Again, she just doesn't want to spawn.
Substory 24 - A Man Rises Up: I need to beat Sodachi once more as a random encounter before he challenges me to the final showdown. I'm led to believe that like Saigo, he shows up as a purple arrow on the map. Unlike Saigo, I have yet to even see Sodachi a third time, and since I've run all over Kamurocho trying to get Ayaka to show up, I am concerned he may never appear. My only theory is that the unfinished Substory 3 is somehow conflicting with this once, since you apparently go to Children's Park for the last Sodachi battle.

I'm starting to get paranoid that I've screwed myself by starting with the demo (which I only downloaded and played after it was fixed by Sega), but I'm 100% that I hadn't even left Okinawa when the full game came out and I imported my save. Did I get hit by some kind of bug? What is going on??

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

widespread posted:

For reference, you’re in the park in the top left near the former Pocket Circuit stadium yes?

That's the one. I'll try reinstalling the game entirely.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Just advanced the plot by going to the Navy Apartments. The next objective is to take a taxi to a certain location, but it looks like I still have full run of both cities. I’ll try looking for Ayaka and Sodachi again.

e: I'm now at the point of no return, though I have backup saves on the last day in Onomichi and right before taking the taxi from Kamurocho. It looks like I still have the run of both cities, but I can no longer change the time of day. Does that affect anything?

I did end up reinstalling the game, for all that matters.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 7, 2018

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Quote-Unquote posted:

Both of those sub stories have to be during the day. They stopped appearing for me near the end of the game but came back in premium adventure mode.

It’s now daytime in Premium Adventure. No sign of Ayaka yet; I’ll keep looking for Sodachi around town since I feel like he must be somehow stopping Ayaka from reappearing.

I did manage to find the final Onomichi cat; he’s kind of a jerk since he requires five cans of food to max out and you can only feed him three times per visit. Even gold tuna didn’t help; it fills him exactly as much as the beef miso. Also, it looks like he doesn’t spawn at all in the Finale until the story takes you back to Kamurocho.

I also maxed out my spearfishing level; I am now the Dolphin of Dojima. I even ended up with enough money to buy that horrifically overpriced talisman from the black market hombre in Onomichi. Now I just gotta save up for the even more expensive amulet from the Kamurocho sewer dweller. I know that stuff is very transparently end-game equipment, but come on, the third most expensive thing you can buy is literally half the price of the most expensive thing. Even the million-yen clear bonus wasn’t enough. Bring back the decadent 80s!!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Detective No. 27 posted:

Jo Amon is hard as balls.

I wouldn’t know because there’s two (possibly glitched) substories between me and him :argh:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hm. I got the ability to fight him once I maxed my stats and then finished Sodachi's story in Premium.

Sodachi isn’t spawning for me :argh: :arghfist:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did you get his text about meeting him in Children's Park?

No, that's the thing. I fought him outside RIZAP, and then again as a Troublr mission. Haven't seen him since, or the little girl in the same park who I gave the photo of Haruka. It's really weird since I run into Saigo constantly when I'm running around Hiroshima. My working theory is that one or both substories got bugged out somehow because I imported a save from the demo.

I might have to bite the rubber bullet and start a New Game+. Normally that'd be a dealbreaker for me but I enjoyed the new engine and all the quality-of-life improvements a lot, and I've already completed basically everything else besides Puyo.

edit: Has anyone actually completed the whole game on Legend? How was it? I already have the Gold trophy, but I cheesed it using the method I imagine most players did (save in New Serena before the point of no gameplay recording, crank the difficulty up to max, skip all cutscenes and abuse healing items in the final sequence).

I could just turn the difficulty down to Easy, sure, but with 300s across the board in stats, all buyable skills, and every equippable item except the Dragon God Amulet, it's not like anything besides bosses will pose any threat whatsoever.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 11, 2018

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I kind of want to see the cutting room floor at Atlus USA right now, because I have no doubt they tried as hard as they could to connect it to Yakuza. As it stands, we'll probably need a separate thread because Lost Paradise is so far removed from Yakuza that it's apparently getting an English dub.

I was gonna suggest writing up an OP for Kiwami 2 and making that the main Yakuza series thread, but midway through I had a very unpleasant realization: Kiwami 2 comes out on August 28. Four days after that, I'm going on vacation (to somewhere that's not Osaka) and will have no access to my PS4. By the time I get back, Lost Paradise will be less than ten days from release.

This means that, if I'm gonna play Lost Paradise at launch, I need to speedrun the Yakuza title with the best story, the only one I've never played, in less than two weeks. Otherwise, I need to choose between Kiryu and Kenshiro.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

mp5 posted:

some guy

I would agree with this, but I want to believe that (post-credit spoilers) Kiryu's story pauses while they test out the new main guy ends with the Dragon of Dojima successfully intimidating the prime minister, from a hospital bed no less.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
“Ryu ga Gotoku’s Western audience is so culturally different from players at home, they need a guide to understand our beloved national pastime of baseball” - some Sega exec, probably

Edit for content:

julian assflange posted:

Spam the poo poo out of all the upgrade tickets on one good pitcher.

Adding to this, Gorchov is by far the best pitcher, as previously mentioned. He’s also pretty easy to get; after unlocking the ability to recruit other players (substory 35) he’ll join you the next time you beat the second spearfishing map.

The game describes him as an “ace rookie” so naturally he will end up with As in every stat, but his stamina in particular grows so quickly that he makes the very concept of a relief pitcher obsolete. As for actual pitching ability? Occasionally, when he’s in poor condition, the final team does have enough really good batters that they will get one or two runs in an entire game. I have literally never had someone get a hit off Gorchov in any other circumstance.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 20, 2018

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don't think anywhere in Europe knows about baseball dude.

Can’t wait for Akiyama’s exclusive football minigame in Yakuza 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don't think anywhere in Europe knows about baseball dude.

Should maybe clarify that I was absolutely joking; I would have gone on to say that this fictional Sega executive is the dude who decides whether we get English remasters of Kenzan/Ishin if I hadn't been phone postin'

• Locked thread