Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You're all roasting this poor guy for trying to talk about phonetics, but I just want to know what "subdrama" is. Google tells me it's a Reddit thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay guy
Dec 26, 2012

I don't know what I'm talking about, sorry.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The sentence does contain the phonemes you're referring to but whatever that's exceptional or not is another question

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
no need to apologise! I'm curious what you wanted to highlight though, mind pointing it out "manually" (i.e. "the cadence that comes from the use of plosives in 'abandoned railway spur into'" or whatever (not a particularly good example) - just highlight the letters)? don't feel pressured if you'd rather not, of course

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 29, 2019

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
also sorry Mel but this

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah I teach phonetics and that is gibberish

was pretty funny

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Lex Neville posted:

/ɪə/ is two syllables in this instance.

Doesn't that depend on your accent? I say "air-ee-al"; but other people pronounce it more like "air-yal".

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
In that case, it's a yod (/j/) which isn't a vowel sound, so once again not a diphthong.

e: it's a little less clear-cut than that, because /j/ is a glide and gliding is the main characteristic of diphthongs, so sometimes "you" (/ju:/) is considered a diphthong, but generally speaking the yod, while semivocalic, is considered a voiced palatal approximant and not a vowel sound because it doesn't function as the nucleus of a syllable like a vowel sound (or syllabic consonant) can.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 30, 2019

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Once again I'm reminded of just how little I know about phonetics. :sigh:
But thanks for the informative response!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

hi, have some Kelman:

In this factory in the north of England acid was essential. It was contained in large vats. Gangways were laid above them. Before these gangways were completely safe a young man fell into a vat feet first. His screams of agony were heard all over the department. Except for one old fellow the large body of men was so horrified that for a time not one of them could move. In an instant this old fellow who was also the young man’s father had clambered up and along the gangway carrying a big pole. Sorry Hughie, he said. And then he ducked the young man below the surface. Obviously the old fellow had had to do this because only the head and shoulders – in fact, that which had been seen above the acid – was all that remained of the young man.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
You go first

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Lex Neville posted:

You go first

k.

James Kelman posted:

In this factory in the north of England acid was essential. It was contained in large vats. Gangways were laid above them.

So Kelman instantly establishes the setting and scenario. The first sentence immediately establishes that the workers in this factory are working class labourers ('north of England') who deal with toxic acid every day to run their operations. By mentioning the vats and gangways, we immediately think, aw, gently caress, something'll go horribly-

James Kelman posted:

Before these gangways were completely safe a young man fell into a vat feet first. His screams of agony were heard all over the department. Except for one old fellow the large body of men was so horrified that for a time not one of them could move.

-wrong. Kelman doesn't waste a word. He gives the essential details, and then he shocks us right away by describing the accident and the worker's screams, but not without hooking us further with the 'one old fellow'.

James Kelman posted:

In an instant this old fellow who was also the young man's father had clambered up and along the gangway carrying a big pole. Sorry Hughie, he said. And then he ducked the young man below the surface.

So this entire section is loving depressing and amazing simultaneously. Death by acid is such a commonplace occurrence that the old fellow doesn't even flinch when someone dies, especially not when his own son dies. He just follows procedure, like he's just a cog in the machine. 'Sorry Hughie' is so devoid of emotion, it's like he's saying 'idgaf, I'm just doing my job'. The factory is so loving dehumanising that a father can remorselessly duck his son into a vat of acid and pass it off as something normal. Just to twist the knife:

James Kelman posted:

Obviously the old fellow had had to do this because only the head and shoulders – in fact, that which had been seen above the acid – was all that remained of the young man.

Kelman isn't saying that the old fellow had to do this because he was Hughie's father or anything like that - he just had to do it to keep the factory going. It's that sort of hosed up notion of productivity at any costs that fuels capitalism at the cost of peoples' emotions and even lives. Granted, there's an element of positive change because the gangways eventually became 'completely safe', but it came at the cost of lives like Hughie's, and doubtless many more before him if the old fellow was able to move up in an instant to dunk his son.

So yeah. Read more Kelman.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
You're explaining what is there, not why it's good. Mind you, I don't think it's bad (quite the contrary, actually), but I also wouldn't wax lyrical simply because it's succinct. It's good, it does a lot within 150 words. Its brevity in style enhances its brevity in form. At the same time, though, the latter demands the former; if this story were three times as long (even only three times), its style would have worn you out long before you reached the 400th word, while, simultaneously, if he'd employed a style that took three times as many words to say the same, it wouldn't have been anything special. That synergy makes it work, but in a way it's restricting too.

It's good. It's carefully crafted. It's baby shoes. It's a bit of a gimmick.

Couple of things, though:

Kelman posted:

Except for one old fellow the large body of men was so horrified that for a time not one of them could move.

You posted:

Death by acid is such a commonplace occurrence that the old fellow doesn't even flinch
Is that why? Because the rest of the workers is horrified. Is he the only person who's worked there longer than a week?

You posted:

especially not when his own son dies
This isn't there. What made you read this into it?

You posted:

he just had to do it to keep the factory going
I'm not saying this is false, but there is little reason to read some bleak work ethic thing into it. It could also be that he stoically realises he cannot retrieve his son's corpse anyway and that it is a little more dignified way to go to not have your last remaining pieces floating about. I'm not seeing where "the show must go on" comes into it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I read it as the old man ducking Hughie under to cut short his misery, but I suppose he wouldn't be able to scream without lungs

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Lex has got it right, I think. Not knowing what comes next, it seems pretty clear to me that Hughie's father "had had to do this" because obliterating the body was preferable to retrieving only a mutilated head. That said, the situation presented seems a little contrived. I can't imagine open vats of acid (much less acid strong enough to dissolve a body in seconds) have ever been as common as Kelman and DC Comics would have us believe. Practically any other industrial accident would have denied Kelman his absurdly poignant moment.

But we're here to talk prose. Phrases like "had had to do this" and misplaced details like "who was also the young man's father" are clever naturalistic touches, imo—but there's a fine line between naturalistic and clumsy, and the last sentence definitely crosses it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
All books are bad, writing is bad, all stories should be communicated via interpretative dance

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

there's a fine line between naturalistic and clumsy, and the last sentence definitely crosses it.

That final sentence would've been so much better without what is between the dashes :( (though obviously "only the head and shoulders was all that" already begs for rephrasing as it stands)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lex has got it right, I think. Not knowing what comes next, it seems pretty clear to me that Hughie's father "had had to do this" because obliterating the body was preferable to retrieving only a mutilated head. That said, the situation presented seems a little contrived. I can't imagine open vats of acid (much less acid strong enough to dissolve a body in seconds) have ever been as common as Kelman and DC Comics would have us believe. Practically any other industrial accident would have denied Kelman his absurdly poignant moment.

But we're here to talk prose. Phrases like "had had to do this" and misplaced details like "who was also the young man's father" are clever naturalistic touches, imo—but there's a fine line between naturalistic and clumsy, and the last sentence definitely crosses it.

i dont see it as contrived.. never underestimate the utter lack of regard for safety or humanity that factory owners have displayed throughout history. locking doors to sweatshops, taking out life insurance on the women who handle your radioactive material, etc, etc, etc,

i liked the snippet, its got impact, and as you say it feels naturalistic/"real". i dont like the m-dashes though. they break the spell, id prefer parentheses i think.

e: omg, i didnt see your post before i wrote this, Lex Neville

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 10, 2019

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
^^^ that's cool! I do agree that it isn't necessarily contrived. I can suspend scepticism in that regard for the sake of it being a gimmick, but I don't see the point of the "in fact" bit. Would you prefer parentheses over omission?

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 10, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lex Neville posted:

^^^ that's cool!

Would you prefer parentheses over omission?

honestly, youre right. omission is better. its too nerdily technical and ruins the flow imo

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Krankenstyle posted:

i dont see it as contrived.. never underestimate the utter lack of regard for safety or humanity that factory owners have displayed throughout history. locking doors to sweatshops, taking out life insurance on the women who handle your radioactive material, etc, etc, etc,

I'm not saying "Heavens! Surely no one would display such a flagrant disregard for worker safety!" I'm saying:

1. Open vats of corrosive acid seem not just dangerous but impractical.
2. They're such a comic book/action movie cliché that their inclusion invites skepticism.
3. The author doesn't even identify the acid.

e: To elaborate on my problem w/ the last sentence: the em dashes and the "that which had been seen above the acid" both break from the pub-story register of the rest of the paragraph, and the whole reason we've had this argument over why the old fellow dunked the head is that the clause following "because" does not actually give a reason.

e2: I looked this up and apparently the paragraph that was posted is the entire story. So my nitpicks about the acid really don't matter. It's just a shocking story whose narrator may be exaggerating (see: pub stories generally). But a botched sentence is all the more egregious in a ~150 word work.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 10, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Wait, I'm dumb.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 10, 2019

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

and the whole reason we've had this argument over why the old fellow dunked the head is that the clause following "because" does not actually give a reason.

I suspect that's intentional. The reader is supposed to be left hanging. It doesn't work, though, because the final sentence is too long and clumsy for the ending to be abrupt.

e2: I looked this up and apparently the paragraph that was posted is the entire story.

I'm sorry, but this realization made me laugh :D

Anyway, I enjoy whenever this thread is alive so I'll chime in with another fragment. Earlier tonight, I went through a couple of translation exercises I did a few years ago and here's one I remember fondly. It isn't very intricate - not much more than a playful exercise with musicality and metaphor, really - but it resonates (heh) with me. That might just be because it was so much fun to translate, so I'm curious what you guys think; it's the opening to the book, would you read on from here?

Jon McGregor's If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things posted:

If you listen, you can hear it.
The city, it sings.
If you stand quietly, at the foot of a garden, in the middle of a street, on the roof of a house.
It’s clearest at night, when the sound cuts more sharply across the surface of things, when the song reaches out to a place inside you.
It’s a wordless song, for the most, but it’s a song all the same, and nobody hearing it could doubt what it sings.
And the song sings the loudest when you pick out each note.

The low soothing hum of air-conditioners, fanning out the heat and the smells of shops and cafes and offices across the city, winding up and winding down, long breaths layered upon each other, a lullaby hum for tired streets.
The rush of traffic still cutting across flyovers, even in the dark hours a constant rush of sound, tyres rolling across tarmac and engines rumbling, loose drains and manhole covers clack-clacking like cast-iron castanets.
Road-menders mending, choosing the hours of least interruption, rupturing the cold night air with drills and jack-hammers and pneumatic pumps, hard-sweating beneath the fizzing hiss of floodlights, shouting to each other like drummers in rock bands calling out rhythms, pasting new skin on the veins of the city.
Restless machines in workshops and factories with endless shifts, turning and pumping and steaming and sparking, pressing and rolling and weaving and printing, the hard crash and ring and clatter lifting out of echo-high buildings and sifting into the night, an unaudited product beside the paper and cloth and steel and bread, the packed and the bound and the made.
Lorries reversing, right round the arc of industrial parks, it seems every lorry in town is reversing, backing through gateways, easing up ramps, shrill-calling their presence while forklift trucks gas and prang around them, heaping and stacking and loading.
And all the alarms, calling for help, each district and quarter, each street and estate, each every way you turn has alarms going off, coming on, going off, coming on, a hammered ring like a lightning drum-roll, like a mesmeric bell-toll, the false and the real as loud as each other, crying their needs to the night like an understaffed orphanage, babies waawaa-ing in darkened wards.
Sung sirens, sliding through the streets, streaking blue light from distress to distress, the slow wail weaving urgency through the darkest of the dark hours, a lament lifted high, held above the rooftops and fading away, lifted high, flashing past, fading away.

And all these things sing constant, the machines and the sirens, the cars blurting hey and rumbling all headlong, the hoots and the shouts and the hums and the crackles, all come together and rouse like a choir, sinking and rising with the turn of the wind, the counter and solo, the harmony humming expecting more voices.

So listen.
Listen, and there is more to hear.
The rattle of a dustbin lid knocked to the floor.
The scrawl and scratch of two hackle-raised felines.
The sudden thundercrash of bottles emptied into crates. The slam-slam of car doors, the changing of gears, the hobbled hip-hop of a slow walk home.
The rippled roll of shutters pulled down on late-night cafes, a crackled voice crying street names for taxis, a loud scream that lingers and cracks into laughter, a bang that might just be an old car backfiring, a callbox calling out for an answer, a treeful of birds tricked into morning, a whistle and a shout and a broken glass, a blare of soft music and a blam of hard beats, a barking and yelling and singing and crying and it all swells up the rumbles and crashes and bangings and slams, all the noise and the rush and the non-stop wonder of the song of the city you can hear if you listen the song

and it stops

in some rare and sacred dead time, sandwiched between the late sleepers and the early risers, there is a miracle of silence.

Everything has stopped.

What follows is a similar yet inverse description of said silence. I didn't include it because I felt this was long enough, but you can either find it on google books or I can post it here if there's interest.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 10, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

is that the original formatting? i mean, is there a carriage return after almost every period or did you split it up for your translation?

i like it. its evocative and picturesque without being overly sentimental. i think its probably too long for me, but its hard to say in isolation. probably works well with the silent counterpoint

also i generally like when the narrator gets very specific about a sensation.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 10, 2019

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
No, it's like that. I copied it from a Word-document that was either copied by hand or from somewhere else. There are a few ambiguous full stops (that is to say: where it's unclear whether the line was cut off or not, i.e. the last sentence of paragraph 1 - I'll post a picture), but it's mostly if not entirely correct. The forums make it look more disjointed, imo, as lines run on forever. Here's a picture:

Krankenstyle posted:

i think its probably too long for me

You mean this excerpt going on for too long? Because the entire novel isn't like this!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gotcha re lines

re long or not: idk i just started to get antsy while reading it like i wanted it to be over. like when you know something horrible is going to happen in a story. its building without release. no idea if that is in the text or i was prejudiced from the earlier text or a third reason.

i guess it builds to the silence chapter, which in that case works for me because it gives the release i want maybe?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
here's what follows. the silence bit lasts for about three pages as well and is followed by something else entirely

I understand the antsy bit. I don't personally get that, but I do agree it shouldn't have gone on for much longer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea imo the silence counterpoint raises it up :)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Was it a silence in three parts?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
could you not?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
If you listen, you can hear it.
The forum, it sings.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
post more good/bad prose friends! I wish this thread was more active :kiddo:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

"Keeler typically padded the length of his novels with the following device: his protagonist would find a magazine or book, would open it randomly and discover a story. At this point, Keeler's novel would stop dead in its tracks and he would insert the complete verbatim text of one of his wife's short stories, this being the story his novel's protagonist was reading. At the end of the story, the novel would continue where it left off, several pages nearer to its contractual minimum word count."

This man is my hero.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

accidental post

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
"Assassins are evil in alignment (perforce, as the killing of humans and other intelligent life forms for the purpose of profit is basically held to be the antithesis of weal)." -Gary Gygax

It's amazing, almost every word is the wrong word to express what he wants to express. It's both overly technical AND purple at the same time,

Tbf you can argue that as a passage from a rulebook for a game, this is technical writing, but it's bad technical writing too and I don't know of a thread for that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Vosgian Beast posted:

"Assassins are evil in alignment (perforce, as the killing of humans and other intelligent life forms for the purpose of profit is basically held to be the antithesis of weal)." -Gary Gygax

It's amazing, almost every word is the wrong word to express what he wants to express. It's both overly technical AND purple at the same time,

I'm not going to claim that this is good prose, but I don't see which words are not expressing what Gygax wants to say here, namely that killing people for money is the opposite of wellness* and therefore assassins must be evil.

*Probably the word used closest to incorrectly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

I'm not going to claim that this is good prose, but I don't see which words are not expressing what Gygax wants to say here, namely that killing people for money is the opposite of wellness* and therefore assassins must be evil.

*Probably the word used closest to incorrectly.

The misuse of "weal" is pretty amazing, yeah, but also you've got the tension between the absurd pretention of "perforce" and "antithesis" (instead of "necessarily" and "opposite") undercut by the valley-girl vapidity of the "basically".

"Assassins kill people for money and are therefore of evil alignment."

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Basically he’s using Vance as an example but without any of the whimsy or skill, so it just ends up being a bunch of extra words used in lovely ways

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

"Hortense Calisher – [u posted:

Standard Dreaming[/u], 36-7"]That was a week he had gone up to Boston on the sinking arrow of premonition, not even trying the telephone. To visit his still-beloved saint. Who was blessedly still there. Who, being as he was, didn't throw his father down the stairs to the idlers watching Berners' try from below, or repudiate him in any of the ways Berners had learned from the group and its occasional visitors. Who had been content to stand there glowing from it, with the luminous skin of the fasting, receding from his father cell by cell. That cellular rejection, Berners could feel it! Of him the father, and through him, life. Which rejection had begun first, one would have to pry out as one would from a foreign organ grafted on a hopeful, intolerant body. Ask, Berners found himself pleading, to that rotunda, nameless as yet, which had already begun to attend him. Ask the cell its knowledge. Cells think.

Who shall I ask, he had thought, his breath rupturing. Who is there to ask? He had stood there, five-foot-eleven to the six-foot-four of this stubbornly pale boy he had grafted on life. Whom Berners still wanted to help to live. Who wanted to show Berners, his father, how to die. Eye to eye. All faces under starvation return to Christ—the cheekbones high, the mouth in its rictus toward the skeleton, in that special smile which begins to understand—what death understands. Berners wanted to ask it a question, but he didn't yet know the question. He felt that his son, now on the other side of the room to which he always retreated, was pressing him to learn how to ask it. Over the years they had long since exchanged all ordinary ones. Afterward Berners, going over that long, motionless communion with the same fidelity memory had for love-play, would record it as the borderline, when the science in his own flesh, blending with the biblical, first began to tell him something it knew.

When he went down the stairs, his son had turned away to the sink and was drinking a glass of water, giving Berners a little hope. But that day, Berners also began thinking that hope might be part of the process too. Deep in its own helix, the dying new graft must itself have a kind of hope.

Outside, the idlers let their glazed eyes pass over him—a prodigal father, not received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
From Alan Moore's Jerusalem.