Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Medkit, Rifle.

I'm already looking forward to this. I'm a sucker for Weird West poo poo and the supernatural elements you've alluded to are right up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well well. You're quite interesting, aren't you Brianna? That quick smile, quicker wit, open heart, and will of solid steel? But in a place like this? Does such a place truely forge someone like you?

No, no, this isn't the real you, is it? This is your mask, the person you are trying desperately to be.

Who are you, Brianna? Who are you, really?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh good, the course of action I wanted to vote for won, sweet.

Pre-emptively, Roy, eat the meat.

Can't wait for Roy to have his first experience with Mexican Old Clan cuisine. :ese: :mexico: :ese:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, sweeties for a sweetie sounds good.

And may trigger a trouble for her of she doesn't have a gift in exchange.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Green Intern posted:

How could you do this to my heart.

:getin:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I like sheep, peace, and healing for game purposes, representing the Horse Maiden giving Roy a tiny nudge in the right direction.

But Stallion plus Fertility is loving hilarious, pushes on Roy's existing trouble, and well, Brianna is already missing Roy when he's not around, and it's not like she's gonna be immune... It's exactly the sort of thing a mildly capricious minor divinity would do. :allears:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, that's about what I was expecting from Roy's backstory.

I think Roy's gonna do okay out here, provided he spends the requesite amount of time with his head down, mouth shut, and ears open to learn the rules. He's the right sort of person to do well in this kind of society.

Delfina for BFF... Because Brianna is the one true Immortal Waifu.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

jagadaishio posted:

I disagree, and here's why.

Brianna will outlive him. I don't think he'd be comfortable with the idea of dying without having been able to make sure that his significant other made it to the Fields.

He's the type of person to want to shoulder the burden of surviving his SO.

But, then, he's got an extremely limited pool of eligible bachelorettes, so I thing his other choice might be solitude.

Things and people near her don't age either. Problem fuckin' solved.

Edit: Real talk, this sounds like Trouble territory, which is great for the story. To wit: Roy's whole point of existence is to send the souls of the Dead to an afterlife. Brianna will not die of natural causes (and we don't yet know how any of the other sort would effect her), and if he stays with her, neither will he. So here's a potential trouble, how does Roy, a literal Grim Reaper, feel about immortality?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 28, 2018

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

jagadaishio posted:

If he's away from her he'll slip away days and weeks at a time. He'd only be free of aging if he literally never left her side. I've got a feeling that Shepherds and god-conduits have somewhat different touring schedules.

I mean, I'm on board for Roy and Brianna hooking up and making some mistakes with each other. But I don't think they're going to work in the end because for someone with the literal power to send someone to heaven or hell, it actually is better to outlive your loved ones, because you can take their care into your own hands.

I actually agree with you, but I'm here to create troubles and read updates.

And I'm all out of updates.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Beware of Feels.

Which is apparently a warning that Roy needs to be wearing on a sign around his neck right now. We clearly made the right choice with the Horse Mother's "Blessing", Roy's a stone cold badass right now. Assuming we can avoid pissing off too many dudes tomorrow (ahahahahahahaha) this should be fantastic for his reputation around here.

About Delfina... I don't suppose Shepherd Death Magic has prophylactic spell capabilities? Being a Shepherd is generally good enough at preventing those sorts of situations? Um, right... poo poo.

All I'm saying is it would be bad to roll back into town 9 months from now and be met with pitchforks and torches.

65 years and one month sounds good, as the others have said.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

Note to self. Messed up in that Joy is supposedly buried and not buried at the same time. Reminded that this is a rough draft. She's buried, but I need sleep.

I was wondering about that, but didn't have time to go back and re-read it.

I'm actually almost tempted to add seckbd counts of involuntary manslaughter and kinslaying to Mabel's case, given that if she had given up the child at Maureen's insistence said child would not have been trapped in a plague house. So 125 years.

That said, we know that this justice system actually works, and too long of a sentence is actually unjust. So I'm still cool with 65 years.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
She's An Immortal that Loves. When she feels things she feels them wholly, and deeply, loving without reservation. She can't help it, her big heart does what it does. But she's an Immortal, so she will outlive every relationship she will ever have, inevitably. While many would react to this by withdrawing from the world and connections to others, she simply can't.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

CourValant posted:

There can only be one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypyvcfnu4Gg

Looking back this show is cheesy as hell, but they absolutely knew how to write The World Weary Immortal. :allears:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Ugh, Ice I've been there with the "wrote out a good chunk of story, did not back up, :lost:"

Think of it as an opportunity to tweak things within reason. Had something happen in the lost timeline? Well, maybe this time around something else happens.

Otherwise, focus on the things that don't make you feel awful. You've got a long list pf those.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Roy's trouble is that he's The Good Shepherd, for better or worse. People will treat him terribly because of the reputation of others, and he will treat them well in response. This will continue until his own reputation supercedes that of the other Shepherds... Though this may result in consequences of its own.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So many things to talk about!

First off, the elephant in the room. I didn't see anything weird about a woman in this setting going to the baths with a knife strapped to her arm. In a setting like this it's just good sense. Between that and maybe some personal higene usage it wasn't odd until that moment she got weird about it and set it aside, but I assumed it would get explained eventually. Didn't see a self-harm angle, though in retrospect I can see how her "I wanna feel something, anything" attitude could go that way. I guess I just trust you to not to resort to sort of low-hanging fruit.

The multiple forms of Love is exactly what I had in mind when I voted for her "An Immortal Who Loves" trouble. Nice to see that paying off.

Oh Butcher. We're you referring to the first time they have sex (in some kids guest room, then she dresses him while she's still naked) or the second time (when she's in danger of going full vamp, so he suspends her with rope so she can't kill him and then that escalates to sex, while she's still restrained, and under the vampire sex-whammy influence and probably not in a state where one should be allowed to give consent?)

I love The Dresden Files, but Jim is the best-worst author.

Oh, and Sweeties for a Sweetie happened! Yaaaaas

Back on the previous vote, I had forgotten that whether or not we threw Iggy under the bus was up. Kinda wish we hadn't, but Roy had just had a rough afternoon because of the guy so it's in character.

For this vote, yes, Push on Bri's Love trouble, and Roy's Lonely trouble. I'd rather they not fall into bed tonight (if it happens I want it to be outside of Goddess influence) but giving Roy a chance to open up and be himself with a person that is actually interested would do him good, and I'd love to see Bri have a moment of "How much of this is Horse Mother, and how much is just him?"

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Oh Bri :allears: you big goofball. I knew Roy wouldn't grasp the subtle, and not-so subtle, hints of what she's dropping.

If an immortal avatar of the small gods and a Grim ReaperShepherd have a babby, will it be super special?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that she can't get pregnant, mainly because I really don't want to think about what the anti-aging effect she has on things around her might effect an unborn child.

I do appreciate a good Discworld referrence, however.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I can say, with absolute certainty, that I have never heard a Queen song that (A) I didn't like and (B) didn't make me feel. The world is poorer for the death of Freddie Mercury.

On another topic, I guess I assumed that the unborn child would be trapped, unchanging, at the moment of conception, which is horrifying to consider. But per Ice I am wrong. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Take your time, but know we're all excited for more of this.

• Locked thread