Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
Medkit and Trade Goods. I want at least one of them to lean away from the martial side of things, so voting that way for both of them is the most surefire way. Even if they get hardened as time goes on, what your start as colors the way a character is perceived, after all. It's the difference between a healer who can fight or a warrior who can heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I think that Roy should spend 1 point on his friendship with Brianna, 4 points on increasing his Shepherd quality to +4, and 1 point on making a good enough impression with the Horse Clan for them to be willing to do business with him. Hold off on spending any further points until we get a look at Horse Clan's setup, but we'll probably want at least some kind of mount.

It's probably themselve thematic for Roy's first trouble to be his loneliness. He puts himself in situations where he shouldn't to be around people, and does things he shouldn't for people who have shown him kindness. I also like the idea of him having a pesky sense of justice/fairness, but the loneliness is already established.

I think Brianna should also spend 1 experience to develop that friendship with Roy right back at him.

I think the two days should go basically like this. Brianna keeps trying to get the withdrawn Roy to open up and socialize. When he's in his withdrawn phase, she fills the silence by chatting about this and that with him. When she manages to get him talking, though, he gets too excited and talks her ear off - until he inevitably stumbles over something or here self conscious, then back to quiet. Let's call it high and low tide.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Is there inability of a mount to be upgraded a sure thing? Because I've been thinking, and I really like the idea of Roy getting stuck with some kind of wild mustang. Barely-tamed, near-feral, starting at -2 not because it's old, week, or sickly but, rather, because it's barely even broken yet.

I really like the idea of Roy starting with a mount like that and then, over time, through the bond of trust and training, the mount's score slowly climbing. It'd let them both be outsiders, and emphasize the bond growing between them beyond the horse just being a vehicle. I can't think of many other types of people in a great enough need to have positive contact with another living thing to tame an animal quite like that.

Failing that, mules are absolutely lovely animals to ride over even the roughest of terrain, and often lack the prestige and therefore price tag of a horse. Fits the characterization of Roy so far too.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Well, we're kind of shooting in the dark, since we don't have context for Brianna's identity crisis.

What we do know, though, is that Roy has had a conversation, got touched on the shoulder, and shared a meal with someone. I'm willing to bet that loneliness-wise he's feeling more content tonight than he has in a long time.

So, I'm voting for Brianna's identity crisis, because that conversation left Roy feeling good but hit one of Brianna's fault lines.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Huh. I'm glad Roy gets Mathers's notes after all.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Treating the dead is our duty; start with that. Then tomorrow, the boy, and anyone else who's sick. Dealing with the loving should be easier once they know Roy's dutiful. Getting each of those done is critical, especially since having Ignacio to compare him against will make everyone's first impression of Roy 'one of the good ones.'

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Green Intern posted:

Even after the decline of the Great Civilization, Kigurumis are still in fashion.

That is without a doubt what Brianna is wearing.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

sheep-dodger posted:

The horse maiden burns a ton of love and fertility incense using the stallion figurine, Roy will be "blessed" with being a lot more attractive to everyone in the next few days. Let's mess with the loner.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

As an aside, I've always enjoyed Vodoun-style priest-avatars who serve as mortal vessels to gods. It's just a fun concept. Even when it's a much grander and larger deity, that kind of thing hellos condense then down to a personally-relatable level, instead of something too large and nebulous.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I disagree, and here's why.

Brianna will outlive him. I don't think he'd be comfortable with the idea of dying without having been able to make sure that his significant other made it to the Fields.

He's the type of person to want to shoulder the burden of surviving his SO.

But, then, he's got an extremely limited pool of eligible bachelorettes, so I thing his other choice might be solitude.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

If he's away from her he'll slip away days and weeks at a time. He'd only be free of aging if he literally never left her side. I've got a feeling that Shepherds and god-conduits have somewhat different touring schedules.

I mean, I'm on board for Roy and Brianna hooking up and making some mistakes with each other. But I don't think they're going to work in the end because for someone with the literal power to send someone to heaven or hell, it actually is better to outlive your loved ones, because you can take their care into your own hands.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Kids are always the hardest kind of calls, no matter what field you're in.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I say give her the full 30 for kinslaying, the full 30 for kidnapping, the full 5 for manslaughter... And waive the possession and attack of a Shepherd on grounds of insanity. That's 65 years and one month. Her crimes were fairly heinous examples of the crimes, after all.

And take her back to the homestead. If she needs bed rest, then surely her own bed with her husband to care for her is the best bet. And besides which, she was possessed, so it's best to make sure that her husband didn't get injured by the ghost.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

You normally work at a fevered pace, so any slow-downs or breaks you need to take are more than justified. I don't think you've spoiled any of us enough for us to begrudge you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Plan Xarbala.

I think that Brianna is going to be so focused on resisting the physical attraction that she's not even going to notice that his little but heartfelt gestures have been causing a more genuine infatuation until they're back on the road, she finds herself still resisting, and then thinks, "Wait, didn't that 'blessing' end several days ago at this point?" That's when the proper trouble truly begins.

And Roy's going to be walking the razor's edge. He's too hungry for socialization to turn away from the attention he's going to be getting. But, at the same time, indulging would earn enemies and disgrace women. He's pretty clueless too, so this tight rope act will be clumsily navigated only with some behind-the-scenes help from Brianna, like with how she's already advised the town's women to start drinking.

• Locked thread