Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

If an industrial civilization had existed on Earth many millions of years prior to our own era, what traces would it have left and would they be detectable today? We summarize the likely geological fingerprint of the Anthropocene, and demonstrate that while clear, it will not differ greatly in many respects from other known events in the geological record. We then propose tests that could plausibly distinguish an industrial cause from an otherwise naturally occurring climate event.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/04/are-we-earths-only-civilization/557180/
https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.03748

Pretty cool poo poo to think about. Did the lizard civilization survive the asteroid collision? Do they still exist? Are they influencing our civilization? And what the hell do they look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
the reptilians were wiped out by Chrono in 65 million BC, idiot

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don’t think asteroids come out of orbit because of magnets and poo poo op. I read Isaac Asstomouth books growing up and they had pictures of greys in turtlenecks so I think mf knows what he’s talkin about. :colbert:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Oil is just the result of aliens emptying out the septic tanks of their space RV's when they swung by Earth for a pit stop.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Neutrino posted:

And what the hell do they look like?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wtf don't doxx me bro

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Neat theory. How could we even begin to discern the composition of a civilizations accumulated waste or byproducts when they're millions of years removed from us?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I have long suspected there were actually civilizations during the Silurian and other periods, because their continents had much cooler names than ours.

"Laurasia" and the "Tethys ocean", that just kicks rear end, and if there weren't anyone around to appreciate that, well that would just be a tremendous waste. Nature is not wasteful imo :colbert:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Mooey Cow posted:

I have long suspected there were actually civilizations during the Silurian and other periods, because their continents had much cooler names than ours.

"Laurasia" and the "Tethys ocean", that just kicks rear end, and if there weren't anyone around to appreciate that, well that would just be a tremendous waste. Nature is not wasteful imo :colbert:

Counterpoint: Nature created the goons who created these forums.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Nazis had a deal with the last survivors of their race, but then their leader expressed a fondness for the Marx brothers so Hitler had them killed. You can see them, clearance level depending, preserved in big formaldehyde tanks at Area 51.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Where are the photoshops. You lied to me OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Xenocides posted:

Counterpoint: Nature created the goons who created these forums.

The Internet created the goons to be its garbage men. I guess the real question is if there were goons during the Silurian. I'd say yes! I have seen fossils of trilobites contorted in strange angles that indicate some of them may have been goons.

• Locked thread