Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

S7W3 Regular

With hammer on library and knowing that the lamp could not be locking anything, I put off PoD for a long while and got bit by it. Also had a pretty shaky silverless Ganon, with one fall on at the very end of Phase 3 (does anything feel worse than having the firebat hit you and then Ganon starts his speech, so you have to sit there for 5 seconds just waiting to fall into the pit?) and then a super-long Phase 4 the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Sorry Wugga, I did not realize it at the time, but apparently the customizer doesn't have enemizer options, meaning items can't be placed while enemizer settings are also done. It is possible to shuffle the bosses after the fact with the enemizer standalone program but then I'd have to post the ROM, which is a no-no.

Rather than ask you to pick again in the interest of getting the seed out, you will simply get a pick next week no matter what (and I'll post a reminder at the time that some settings are apparently incompatible).

Week 4: https://alttpr.com/en/h/oLyVbWa7yb

Otherwise normal stuff except for full boss shuffle.

Week 4 Bonus: https://mystery.synack.live/h/bKpMgDVvNw

As you can see this site link is a bit different. This is a "mystery" seed which means it can be just about anything. I have no idea what this is going to be going in, nor do you. Is it shuffled bosses? Swordless? A 0 crystal fast ganon seed? Who knows!

There are signs on the pyramid and outside GT that can be read to discover the goal and when the GT entrance opens. Good luck!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
S7W4 Normal

145/216
1:50:39.05

Well that was a weird one! Made some lucky plays early on, including Front of Escape for Boots, but then started to get a little shaky when I cleared out 99% of EP and then found the Bow in the Shovel Spot, which was technically open to me already. There were a few little dead ends like that, but it didn't get too terrible. The most galaxy-brained play I did was probably full-clearing TT. I had planned on bringing the Green Pendant with me back to PoD so I could cash it in at the same time, since I'd had to bail on PoD with no Hammer. But then, Bam! Red Cane drops from the TT boss! That put me into Go Mode with Ice, Mire, and TR left, plus the PoD boss. Not bad!

Kept forgetting two things, though: 1) bosses were shuffled and 2) hints were working. Don't know if either would've changed much, though. Also, never think to yourself, "Hmm...I haven't seen Trinexx yet..."

Anyway, I've been recording my inputs lately and might replay them and upload the resulting video, just for kicks.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
S7W4

I last locationed Pearl. And Bow. Forgot Aga could give dark world access. Didn't realize swamp was a pendant. Blind pulled ped. Was really proud of the helmasaur king fight I pulled off without hammer!

Oyster fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 30, 2019

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
S7W4 Bonus

I last locationed Somaria. At least the GT Climb was different! I'm getting really good at bomb Helmasaur King.

Time also includes a break for dinner.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Season 7 Week 4

Technically I cheated in that I ragequit after finishing pendant Swamp because I thought it was a crystal. Interesting that Oyster made the same mistake for presumably the same reason- misremembering that Dark Palace wasn't a crystal because I'd already jumped out of it. I thought I was doing well for items since I managed to never check Mini-Moldorm Cave but nope, think there's still some pretty serious gaps in my logic. Or maybe I've just been unlucky lately.

I'm gonna put some light spoilers here for the mystery seed, for those of you who might be interested in it but don't want to get sucked into something insane like Full Entrance Keysanity All Dungeons Expert Difficulty Random HP and Damage. It's a light keysanity retro pedestal seed with both enemizer and randomized bosses and Ganon's Tower available at six crystals and hard item functionality.

Season 7 Week 4 Bonus

...And once again, I make the same mistake Oyster did. Assuming that just because I could theoretically get into Ganon's Tower, that must be the logical location for Cane of Somaria. Nope! It was just hiding in the sewers, which would have ended this seed pretty quick if I'd checked there before going on the wacky crystal world tour.

In spite of that this was actually a pretty amazing combination that smoothed out all the edges. I've never tried Retro before but pairing it with light Keysanity is pure genius. Keys are everywhere, but you don't need to keep track of which one goes where. Big Keys are where they belong. Maps are important. Stockpiling rupees is really easy when all the normally useless arrow chests are now just rupee chests. Overall the seed was simple enough I didn't even notice my item functionality was limited until near the end of the crystal tour. Plus Enemizer and Random Bosses are always fun settings.

I think this is a good mode to experiment with in regards to the higher difficulty settings because nothing in logic is too disastrous, and grinding for the five normally useless houses is always an option. Even six crystals is neat because it's a marginal improvement over having to all of them even if, as was the case this time, it turns out to be a red herring. Also Nep hates Retro for some reason so if I want to keep trying this mode I guess I'll just have to make my own seeds anyway.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
S7W4

RTA 1:54:10

I full cleared pendant swamp and all I got was a sword upgrade.

CGH
Mar 31, 2010
S7 W4

Collection Rate: 160/216
Total Time: 02:01:15:34

Full cleared Swamp and I'm pretty sure all the available overworld before going to the back half of Thieves' and finding the cane. Moldorm's head in GT creeped me out.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
S7W4

Did not read instructions, thought both called things were in the seed. Then, thought the pedestal was going to be live for sure, as there's always a Trinexx.

Fortunatly I checked catfish pretty early, when I found the ice rod I realized something was amiss. I'd full cleared Hera for no gain by then, oh well. (Although having that ice rod, I was never happier to see a Trinex)

Clearing the front 4 (and getting 2 items, plus forgetting boss rando meant I could just go kill the boss) in Thieve's town really hurt me. By the time I finally went back and killed the boss for go-mode cane, my options were down to the back of Thieves, and dipping mire and hoping it was in there. I was really starting to hope cane was on pedestal as that would have redeemed so much for me.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
S7W4 Bonus

Haha, what a clusterfuck. Totally forgot retro required you to buy arrows at first and I couldn't remember where all the shops were, but thankfully I remembered it while doing dark death mountain so I lucked out there.

Bought a whole bunch of keys for nothing, ended up with something like 15 in my inventory.

Also lol at realizing this was hard mode upon activating cape in MM Vitreous fight and taking a death because I wasn't paying attention to the magic meter.

Took forever to check dark cross, so somaria was go-mode. Took a while to get there.

Good times, would play again.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The current week seeds are not over but a Festive randomizer dropped for Halloween so I thought I'd put a seed here as the week 5 bonus in advance:

https://alttpr.com/en/h/z6GKkb6QGe

I don't entirely know what's different about the Festive mode (it is not the same as last Halloween). If you're unsure and don't want to go into this totally fresh, consider playing a different festive seed beforehand.

Photosensitive/seizure warning: The randomizer site for this festive mode notes that it is possible that this mode may not be appropriate for people with photosensitive epilepsy. If this would make you unable to play this seed, or you don't feel like chancing it for any reason, please feel free to play another seed as a week 5 bonus, and even post it in the thread to encourage others to join in if they want.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
For the sake of our photosensitive friends, ban all seeds where Aga or Ether is required.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

But I need Ether to see those stupid invisible blue plates in the rooms without torches.

Is that actually how you're supposed to find those in vanilla? I used to to do it by dropping bombs but that quickly became impractical once bomb bag upgrades were removed from the regular item pool.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

But I need Ether to see those stupid invisible blue plates in the rooms without torches.

Is that actually how you're supposed to find those in vanilla? I used to to do it by dropping bombs but that quickly became impractical once bomb bag upgrades were removed from the regular item pool.
Yes, Ether is the intended strat in vanilla, though you can light torches if present.

You can also drop a Somaria block and just push it around, but that’s mostly useful if you already kind of know the layout and are just trying to confirm a little, because otherwise you’re going to run dry on magic real quick if you’re going completely blind.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

S7W4 Regular

Taking the forfeit here. Did an early Aga play but died on the climb, forgot that I could do the back half of Escape, so I ended up last locationing pearl, attempted to do the waterwalk glitch from Ice Cave and screwed it up, screwed up the Potion glitch of PoD (which wasn't actually required anyways since there was a bow available at the same time). Some days you just don't have it.

Also, for the Festive, it's super fun and I would highly recommend running your seed of it blind because it's wild.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
S7W4 Bonus

:suicide:

I'm pretty sure that's an official last-locationing of the Hookshot on the boss of PoD. I was starting to get worried I'd have to open GT with six crystals and find the Hookshot in there so I could go kill Arrghus in DP, until I saw another Arrghus in a crystal dungeon and realized (now) that wasn't possible. What a mess! At least Retro + Hard Mode didn't get too much in the way.

Edit: Nep-Nep, can you slap the spreadhseet link into the OP?

T.Hanks!

CPColin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 2, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh, also, if I end up getting a pick this week, let's do a Standard Mode seed!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Warning in regards to festive- the Triforce door is bugged somehow. I was able to get it to open the second time just fine but no, if it happens to you, it's not a part of the seed. Just die or save or quit so you can try again.

Season Seven Week Six Bonus

The trick or treat gimmick was cute until I realized that candy was totally pointless. On the flip side a game mode where money doesn't matter is quite the counterpoint to hard mode. Never did figure out what was going on with the Willy Wonka room. Presumably the golden ticket is another item. I was too much of a grump to like the special dungeon music although I quickly realized to my great irritation I could easily tell the Pendant and Crystal dungeon music apart which I can never do in normal rando. In more positive news I liked the alternate sprites. It's a pity none of these festive changes ever cycle back into the regular game.

I'm not at all sure why this took me so long. Double dip into pendant Dark Palace, maybe. Oh, and I did forget that Swamp required flippers at one point. Interesting to see that Ether and Hookshot locked each other out, given the prior discussion about Ether being the intended way to see hidden bridges. Kind of curious as to whether Basic Item Placement takes that into account. Oh, and laser bridge without the required logical item was weird, but surprisingly doable. Eventually figured out it had to have been Mirror Shield, which was acquirable via Agnahim 1.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

For those in a competitive mood but don't live in Discord, the Fall Tournament Qualifiers start today.
Tournament Rules
Participating in qualifiers requires a one-time sign-up. To be eligible for brackets requires racing in at least five qualifiers (well, four) from this schedule:

And using an annoying 20 minute stream delay.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Week 5 Bonus:

Holy loaded up laser bridge. Sure was a good thing I put off TR as long as possible.
One of my slowest seeds in a very long time. Also, lol at the Gannon fight.

One thing that was interesting in here is that the altered music made it really easy to tell when the game was lagging. The "lag time" stat is something I've always been curious about but never really looked into. Other than the blindingly obvious slowdowns here and there, I could never tell where much of the rest of it came from. This time I could hear it, but in many cases I still didn't know what was actually causing it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Some Guy TT posted:

Warning in regards to festive- the Triforce door is bugged somehow. I was able to get it to open the second time just fine but no, if it happens to you, it's not a part of the seed. Just die or save or quit so you can try again.
I think this has been fixed, but I'm not sure if the fix made it in time for that seed. Specifically, don't kill Wart while he's in the air.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
S7W5 Bonus

Clear!
163/216
2:18:33.28

Wow, that was an irritating seed. Lots of stuff found right after I needed it, including Somaria and Boots. At least Ice Rod was in TR and the hint said so. Not thrilled about "This Is Halloween" showing up again as the crystal dungeon music. Could've used some percussion in "Bloody Tears" as the pendant dungeon music. Guess I didn't die until TR, because that little scene freaked me out a bit!

Edit: Oh by the way, I almost forfeited after my DOZENTH fall to Moldorm 1. loving hell! Oh, and they weren't kidding about photosensitivity, with the red flashes in Mire!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Sorry for the delay, week 4 is now done. I took the win for time and CPColin took rate.

CPColin asked for Standard mode and Wugga has a queued ice rod on pedestal from before.

https://alttpr.com/en/h/QJG8aq3dMB

To make escape a touch faster, and to make it not needed to farm bombs, boots are in Link's house. Enjoy.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Forgot to post this before:

S7W5 Bonus

RTA: 2:07:25 // Vod here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/506065601

I played this on the 1st, so I don't remember a whole lot. It was fun though, the dungeon overlay switches and harder bosses. New music was really sweet too, Bloody Tears fit the bill just right.

I felt like a dumbass trying to reflect Wart's turnips back before figuring out you have to toss them like in SMB2. Nice touch there though, didn't see that one coming.

Also what was up with that Aga 2 fight? I didn't get the reference, if there was one.

5/5 would play again waiting for the Christmas festive.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 9, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CPColin posted:

S7W4 Normal

I've been recording my inputs lately and might replay them and upload the resulting video, just for kicks.

I finally did this and added a little commentary in the video description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrQ4AyzxPmo

Bit of a time-sink to replay the input movie in Snes9x, but I don't typically play a whole seed in a single sitting and it's way easier to pause the emulator (always after a death or a save+quit) without also having to pause the recording.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
S7W5 Normal

155/216
2:12:26.15

I misread the description and played most of the seed thinking Ice Rod was on the GT torch, as opposed to the Pedestal. Would've saved an extra dip into Hera and a bit of wandering, had I realized that sooner. (TR being a crystal didn't tip me off???) Although, Ether deep in Ice Palace would've been a pain, no matter what. Two seeds in a row with Hookshot in Hera basement, though!

Execution was horrible throughout. Maybe I'll upload a video of this one, if I can stand to watch it again!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Spoilers for week 5 normal:

CPColin where did you get the other bow? I only got the one on spec rock. I had done ice palace before a pod visit so I had all 3 medallions by the time I got hook and flute and just go moded everything else after that.

1:42:21 IGT
131 rate

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
^^^^^

Mire shed.

S7W5

rta 1.55:02

Guess who despawned the tower after a really good gauntlet?

Besides that, not too terrible I guess. I looked for the Hammer for a good bit and ended up going to EP/PoD area three times, but ehh. I'll take it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nep-Nep posted:

Spoilers for week 5 normal:

I had done ice palace before a pod visit so I had all 3 medallions by the time I got hook and flute and just go moded everything else after that.

(more week 5)

Ugh, yeah, I died doing the bomb jump to bypass needing Hookshot and had to come back. Probably would've saved a ton of time, had I pulled that one off!

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Week 5:

Is there competitive last locationing? I think I could be a contender at that. Took way way to long to get the hammer, and I managed to triple dip ice palace. Weee!

Raised by Hamsters fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 14, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Season 7 Week 5

Well, I appear to have made everyone's mistakes and then some, most likely. I also forgot that Ice Rod was on pedestal, although I should have realized it couldn't be on torch when I had to go around hunting for it. I also triple dipped Ice Palace, forgetting it needed Hammer and also presumably missing a key. Which incorrectly led me to conclude that the three items I couldn't get must not be in logic, since I could lock myself out of them. That reasoning might or might not have made sense when I was still looking for Hammer and not Ether.

The good news is that my early game was crazy strong, wiping out both Mothula and Blind easily with just four hearts and no armor. All those randomized Bosses on hard mode made the vanilla versions seems pretty pitiful by comparison. But alas, solid performance only goes so far alongside poor routing in the form of forgetting what checks I've already made and what's left to look at.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Season 7, Week 5 Normal

What a disaster. I did part of IP early and got two items, so I put off finishing it for a long while since I knew there was only one thing there, so I eventually reached Go Mode (Ether in IP) with a completely clean map tracker. Only checks in the entire game I didn't do were Pyramid Fairy, Mimic Cave, and the go-mode of TR.

Getting 3 pre-filled bottles super early (then the 4th and Bug Net shortly thereafter) was nice though.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral
So... ummm... is it possible to join these mid-season? I've been trying to get good at rando & want to apply it to something constructive.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Annorax posted:

So... ummm... is it possible to join these mid-season? I've been trying to get good at rando & want to apply it to something constructive.
:hellyeah:

It’s specifically in the rules that you can go back and still do seeds from earlier in the season. Nep posts all the seeds so just go back and you can get the seeds from weeks 1-5.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

MagusofStars posted:

:hellyeah:

It’s specifically in the rules that you can go back and still do seeds from earlier in the season. Nep posts all the seeds so just go back and you can get the seeds from weeks 1-5.

Sweet, my proof will be in the form of my stream vods.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral
Week 5, Normal

I suck at routing, and I suck at knowing what I can't do. I recognized the logic was sending me to IP for a dip, but didn't realize SW was an option until well after dying three times attempting to hammer Kholdstare to death with green armor and like 7 hearts. The lack of cash in Escape also led me to do the Houlihan room for the first time ever to have the cash for the bottle merchant. The aforementioned Kholdstare fails also left me grinding the archery game for cash to buy potions... god I hate that thing.

I feel like a complete and total jackass, this is the first seed I've played in weeks that had an actual death in it... and this had 6. gently caress my life. Only smart thing I did was continuing to dig through GT to find the red mail, because I would've died horribly to Ganon without that.
Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/509612695

Annorax fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 17, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I made a Triforce Hunt seed but forgot to change the goal from 10 pieces so it was done in 13 minutes. Welp that's my Triforce Hunt story.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I learned to my chagrin last night that the Beatable item placement setting does not necessarily preclude required items from being placed in Ganon's Tower in a Pendant seed. Matters were not helped by something like half the bosses being Trinexx. Still, seems like it has to be at least a decent improvement. Was Beatable the old default setting or was it 100% Inventory?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Some Guy TT posted:

I learned to my chagrin last night that the Beatable item placement setting does not necessarily preclude required items from being placed in Ganon's Tower in a Pendant seed. Matters were not helped by something like half the bosses being Trinexx. Still, seems like it has to be at least a decent improvement. Was Beatable the old default setting or was it 100% Inventory?
100% Inventory is the old default.

It's slightly misnamed, too, since what it really means is "100% locations except that a handful of keys can self-lock".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Looks like Ars Technica knows a cutting-edge trend when it sees it!