Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Heiji posted:

As someone who mainly just casually plays rando, it’s pretty easy to get into. You can start with a location tracker so you can be reminded about all accessible locations, and then you start internalizing all the chest locations and the weird ways you can get to certain locations (like gloves 2 + mirror + flute = desert access comes up way more often then using the book does). Routing is then mainly figuring out how to efficiently hit up as many chests as possible as efficiently as possible, and it’s pretty fluid.

From a minor glitch perspective, fake flippers and ice palace bomb jump come up fairly often and are pretty easy to execute, and hammeryump is only really strongly relevant in keysanity.

Is there a particular location tracker you'd recommend?

Also on bomb jumps, this is a great tutorial video for helping learn setups for various bomb jumps. A couple of these have extremely niche use cases but stuff you don't see often like the Spectacle Rock bomb jump save considerable time if executed correctly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUXbQ23Pxyg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Thanks for the Discord link. Lots of good resources there. Maybe I'll finally have to give randomizer a shot...

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

IcePhoenix posted:

Someone in chat was saying that if you didn't use a tracker before this would be what finally pushes you to do so. Accurate?

Also sidenote: how hard is it to learn this run from, effectively, scratch? Watching all these races has made me really want to at least try randomizer, but memorizing all the routing seems like quite a task.

Probably not. I've run around 400 races with no map tracker, and the number of times I've bungled a location like this over all those races is probably right about the same number of times I would have bungled a location WITH a map tracker by misclicking something during the course of a run.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with using a map tracker, but at this point I think I'd prefer to stick with keeping locations in my head and making their checks more instinctual rather than based off a map, and simply train myself better to recognize when I'm doing things in an unorthodox order so I can better remember when re-checks are needed.

As for learning the game, it's really not too tricky. Once you reach a basic level of competence (can reliably complete a seed without getting stuck, say) your improvement rate skyrockets from just watching others play and route. It might be tough to reach that basic level, especially if you're unfamiliar with the vanilla game, and it DEFINITELY will take some learning and many mistakes to teach you what not to forget, but there are a lot of utilities designed to help a new player and the community is filled with players of all skill levels.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I use an item tracker to keep up a visual of exactly what my menu layout looks like so I don't fumble around in menus as much but I don't track locations. My main hangup is sometimes I forget the shovel exists. I played a lot of keysanity with no tracker at all and didn't notice for a few runs that the pause menu counts your keys, and I think that helped a lot with that, since now that I'm not playing keysanity there is a lot less to pay attention to.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Nep-Nep posted:

I use an item tracker to keep up a visual of exactly what my menu layout looks like so I don't fumble around in menus as much but I don't track locations. My main hangup is sometimes I forget the shovel exists. I played a lot of keysanity with no tracker at all and didn't notice for a few runs that the pause menu counts your keys, and I think that helped a lot with that, since now that I'm not playing keysanity there is a lot less to pay attention to.

Also: gently caress Keysanity.

(it's a fine mode to play, but makes for a horrible competitive mode I feel like)

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

I like Keysanity, but the punishes in that mode are so, so hard. Playing nothing but Keysanity for a month+ which was inevitably what most people did when the tournament was approaching/running really soured a lot of people quickly.

Nep-Nep posted:

Picked up the shovel in a dark POD room once when I already had the flute. Couldn't figure out what was bottlenecking my progression for another 30 minutes.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I agree if for no other reason than all the keys scattered everywhere and being relevant seems like it would be extremely confusing to any viewer who didn't intimately know how many keys were needed for each dungeon, and I would imagine variance is higher than more normal modes.

edit: Also Buane thank you I'm adding "check for shovel if doing dark pod!" to my post-its.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 19, 2018

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

abraxas posted:

Also: gently caress Keysanity.

(it's a fine mode to play, but makes for a horrible competitive mode I feel like)

I think open is more fun to watch and is easier to keep track of where the players are at if you aren't 100% focused on what's going on. Keysanity makes that practically impossible, and watching 2vs2's is even worse

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I think open is more fun to watch and is easier to keep track of where the players are at if you aren't 100% focused on what's going on. Keysanity makes that practically impossible, and watching 2vs2's is even worse

To be fair that 2v2 tournament was community organized and it was handled.... badly. I don't wanna poo poo on the people responsible for it too much but it was terribly organized, a huge clusterfuck and it took like a rolling line-up of admins (because the old ones kept quitting in frustration) to finally get it to a point where it can at least be finished out and then taken behind the shed and ended with some shred of dignity left. Every single team I've talked to said one of two things. It's either "I hope we lose our race tonight so I'm finally free from this clown show" or "Thank god we lost that race, finally I'm free from this joke"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for the tips everyone, looks like I have a fun timesink ahead of me :haw:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
5 hours to my race tonight, I am excited! Still a ? on the schedule so I would say it's probably not gonna have a restream but it's not confirmed yet. I'll toss a watchable link when I know for sure one way or another.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tell them that there are at least several people who want to cheer you on live and they should take advantage of that

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

IcePhoenix posted:

Tell them that there are at least several people who want to cheer you on live and they should take advantage of that

"I have as many fans as you can count on one hand! You stand to rake in tens of twitch bits!"

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

abraxas posted:

To be fair that 2v2 tournament was community organized and it was handled.... badly. I don't wanna poo poo on the people responsible for it too much but it was terribly organized, a huge clusterfuck and it took like a rolling line-up of admins (because the old ones kept quitting in frustration) to finally get it to a point where it can at least be finished out and then taken behind the shed and ended with some shred of dignity left. Every single team I've talked to said one of two things. It's either "I hope we lose our race tonight so I'm finally free from this clown show" or "Thank god we lost that race, finally I'm free from this joke"

Oh jeez I had no idea, thanks for the heads up. Sorry it became such a clusterfuck for those involved

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I've never heard of this and dont really ahve much interest in speedrunning but drat I just watched that youtube vid in the op and that was fuckin great, I'll be watching the rest of the matches whenever I can so big thanks for posting this thread

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

queeb posted:

I've never heard of this and dont really ahve much interest in speedrunning but drat I just watched that youtube vid in the op and that was fuckin great, I'll be watching the rest of the matches whenever I can so big thanks for posting this thread

What's nice is you can play the game casually for your own enjoyment. While it's built with speedrunning in mind, you can just have fun without the stress of that.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Takoluka posted:

What's nice is you can play the game casually for your own enjoyment. While it's built with speedrunning in mind, you can just have fun without the stress of that.

Yeah if you play normally the only speedrun related thing that you will see is your time / number of locations checked at the end of the game. Everything is logically laid out and there are no glitches required to get all the items (although some minor glitches will definitely speed up the process)

I had pretty bad luck in my race in round 2, running out of magic for the bat (which naturally held gloves) and had to waste a few minutes running into escape to pick up some magic. (I checked Kakariko after the game and no pots drop magic in the town... no idea where else to get it unless you get lucky with tree pulls)

Then I forgot that I had DW access between gloves and hammer, which led me to waste 5 or so more minutes while I checked way out of the way spots, and that cascaded to the point where I finished 50 minutes after the other guy. Its amazing how semi-major misplays can really cost you if you let them... :(

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Feldegast42 posted:

I had pretty bad luck in my race in round 2, running out of magic for the bat (which naturally held gloves) and had to waste a few minutes running into escape to pick up some magic. (I checked Kakariko after the game and no pots drop magic in the town... no idea where else to get it unless you get lucky with tree pulls)

Where in escape did you check? The room south of uncle at the beginning of the game has two little magic pots.

Also what's your name in the tournament? I can add your future matches to the OP if you want.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah if you play normally the only speedrun related thing that you will see is your time / number of locations checked at the end of the game. Everything is logically laid out and there are no glitches required to get all the items (although some minor glitches will definitely speed up the process)

Then I forgot that I had DW access between gloves and hammer, which led me to waste 5 or so more minutes while I checked way out of the way spots, and that cascaded to the point where I finished 50 minutes after the other guy. Its amazing how semi-major misplays can really cost you if you let them... :(

If you have boots (you probably didn't since it was early) you can bonk the tree north of the Kakariko dark world portal for a full magic decanter. (the tree in the light world)

Otherwise, if you haven't noticed which enemies have magic pots in their drop pools and the stun prize pack/tree pulls/bush crabs aren't anything useful, there's no convenient way to farm other than grabbing the uncle pots I guess.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I played a few of these casually last Christmas while I was home and enjoyed them. I know most of the base game but nowhere near enough to do dark rooms, as such my play throughs quickly became a game of 'find the lantern'. It looks like things have changed quite a bit as this has really taken off. Is there some kind of casual-mode-for-babbies that starts you out with the lantern like the base game does?

Also looking forward to the next goon match.

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

I played a few of these casually last Christmas while I was home and enjoyed them. I know most of the base game but nowhere near enough to do dark rooms, as such my play throughs quickly became a game of 'find the lantern'. It looks like things have changed quite a bit as this has really taken off. Is there some kind of casual-mode-for-babbies that starts you out with the lantern like the base game does?

There's no modes that start you with the lamp (outside of standard mode giving you the light cone through escape) but easy difficulty puts 3 lamps into the item pool, making it a bit easier to find.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Chauncyjay vs GrandPOOBear is a comedy of errors match with an impressive troll seed.

E: Like the winning time was 2:18

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 19, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

counterfeitsaint posted:

No, but you could make a custom seed, set the lamp wherever you want, and then have everything else randomized, I think.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Modus Pwnens posted:

Chauncyjay vs GrandPOOBear is a comedy of errors match with an impressive troll seed.

E: Like the winning time was 2:18

It was quite a fun seed to watch and I highly recommend it. Heartwarming ending, too.

My next race is tomorrow at 5pm - no idea on a restream yet since I got restreamed in round 1 and they're gonna be tending to give it to people who didn't get one already and Friday nights are always packed.
Also doing commentary tonight for the Karkat vs Fayorei race at 8:30pm!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Alright, assuming that it'll be a no restream this time, should be getting my race off the ground in about 15 minutes at http://multitwitch.tv/sa_gtg/JohnRossums

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In the stream, but I guess it's in emote only mode. Which makes sense i guess if you can actually see the chat. Probably won't bother to live post in here, but I'll be watching and yelling things at the screen!

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

KariOhki posted:

It was quite a fun seed to watch and I highly recommend it. Heartwarming ending, too.

My next race is tomorrow at 5pm - no idea on a restream yet since I got restreamed in round 1 and they're gonna be tending to give it to people who didn't get one already and Friday nights are always packed.
Also doing commentary tonight for the Karkat vs Fayorei race at 8:30pm!

Karkat is a goddamn wizard who patched the Andy v Christos bitrace while the code was live and he's not the best at this game, that's a pro watch. Cool that you're commentating it!

Edit: Nep-Nep and Rossums both needing to Houlihan for progression is little seen in this day and age. Both did it in differing fashions, too!

Oyster fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 20, 2018

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo; titan’s mitt

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
I like that they did the bomb hut in Village of Outcasts nearly synchronized but with different dungeons completed.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oyster posted:

I like that they did the bomb hut in Village of Outcasts nearly synchronized but with different dungeons completed.

yeah, I got a kick out of that. I think gtg is slightly ahead right now since he peaced out of TT, yes?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Is there a link that combines the streams?

E: Oh duh I speedran right past the post.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this has been close as heck for the entire time so far, jeeze

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
it’s going to come down to execution

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh poo poo those TR chests :eyepop:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
nep just got ice rod and can now complete TR

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rossum lost a chunk of time by playing the laser bridge safe, go gtg! :toot:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
watching this dark room is giving me a panic attack

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh nooooo

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
That attack was rightly deserved. that's the one dark room in the game I can't do. Learned TR dark live during my last race!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Well if you’re already the potion shop you might as well go whole hog