Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Buane posted:

Z3R is really at its racing best when a seed has multiple avenues of items which unlock others. Like hookshot leads to boots which lead to mitts, whereas separately cane leads to hammer, and separately book leads to bow - or something along those same lines. That way it's not just a matter of "Player X did this thing first and is now way ahead," but rather two players both coming out of separate decisions with different positives.

This doesn't happen as often with v29 as it did in previous versions, unfortunately.

I'm not a runner but I watch the tourneys and so far I don't enjoy watching 29 as much (although maybe part of it is that the matchups are less even at this stage). So far it seems like almost every seed is wide open almost from the start and then it's a hunt for two or three items that could be anywhere. That's fine sometimes but it's like EVERY time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
They patched the lamp out of v29 didn't they?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Really liked that backup strat on Kholdstare.

Bow being in PoD really trolled the hell out of KariOhki, it was a close race for a very long time.

Really nice job on Lanmolas2!

Congrats on getting the sub 3!

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 21, 2018

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Whew, that seed was...pretty normal until the end. I honestly knew that Bow had to be somewhere between Eastern and PoD judging on my opponent's finishing time. Was glad I'd had some practice with Bombs as the escape weapon, too, as much as I hate them.

I agree that Lamp feels patched out of v29 sometimes, I always find it super late.

Edit: Tired, forgot to say thank you for your support!

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 21, 2018

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

Nep-Nep posted:

They patched the lamp out of v29 didn't they?

I'd believe it, I've had something like 3 or 4 lampless runs this week.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'm not a runner but I watch the tourneys and so far I don't enjoy watching 29 as much (although maybe part of it is that the matchups are less even at this stage). So far it seems like almost every seed is wide open almost from the start and then it's a hunt for two or three items that could be anywhere. That's fine sometimes but it's like EVERY time.

A lot of runners aren't really enjoying v29. There is a pretty demonstrable priority on non-dungeon locations, and like you said there's often a ton of value early that opens up a lot of options and you just cross your fingers and hope you choose the right dungeon to find your go-mode in on the first or second try instead of the fifth. Add in the new standard mode, where the uncle is often giving you a very nice and possibly trolly progression item, and you have a LOT of sub 1:30 seeds out there compared to older versions. The big pain point is that this is exactly the opposite of v28, which was extremely dungeon-centric. So people who heavily raced previous versions feel particularly more whiplash.

This is actually a really good thing if you're a new player getting into the game! v29 is much more friendly than v28, since you're often encouraged to explore as much overworld as you can collecting your progression items, and then dive dungeons only once your options start to dwindle. This means on average you're better equipped, more comfortable, and less likely to smack headfirst into negative feedback. As opposed to v28 which often rewarded diving dungeons at the earliest possible times, whether you were undergeared or low on hearts or swordless or whatever.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

onesixtwo posted:

Crossposting from the speedrun thread for a good watch recommendation:

I love this kind of randomizer so much as a viewer. Easily the zaniest logic I’ve seen so far.

synthetik posted:

The first hour of this beating desert with bombs and the cane is insane.

Youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGtgnnYwHc

Been watching this seed this morning. Holy poo poo, this has to be the cruelest start to Rando I've ever seen. only bombs, blue cane and boomerang as weapons, no pearl but you have mirror and gloves. good lord

Seeds like this scare me from playing myself.

Can we put this one in the OP as an example of how insanely hard Rando can get? The reason Rando is so interesting is all the routing decisions you have to make, and because it's played without knowing what your opponent is up to it's amusing to see both players slowly come to the conclusion they have to do something crazy...like Lanmolas with just bombs and blue cane.

Question. At one point they try and super bunny into the Mire Shed. How do you pull that off?

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 21, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

axeil posted:

Can we put this one in the OP as an example of how insanely hard Rando can get?

I already did! That match was a real standout for sure.

Oyster's match coming up in less than an hour. Gonna be cheering him on. I'll throw a multitwitch link when I can, seems no restream for this one. I don't know his opponent's twitch stream address so I'll get the link up when I find out.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
lewd vs OPT, yet another laser bridge go mode :nallears:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nep-Nep posted:

Oyster's match coming up in less than an hour. Gonna be cheering him on. I'll throw a multitwitch link when I can, seems no restream for this one. I don't know his opponent's twitch stream address so I'll get the link up when I find out.

Oh thanks!

Well I went off and got rando. Any recommendations for options for a first-timer? This is what I did:

Easy mode seems like it would teach me bad habits along with guaranteeing a sword from your Uncle. Is "no glitches" still going to require things like Super Bunny, Fake Flippers, etc.

Also, should I have picked "Timed Race" or do I still get a timer?

Finally, what's SRAM trace do? I turned it on because it seemed like it might help if I get stuck but I can't find any documentation for it.

edit: what's a good tracker if I'm not streaming and just playing on my own for fun? The resources don't seem to explain much about differences.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 21, 2018

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Nep-Nep posted:

I've been looking for this twitch too, and I submitted it to begin with :\ Sorry can't be more help, in the setup process and all.

Edit: Twitch.tv/Caladryus

DMing is a good way to get it!

Edit Edit: http://multitwitch.tv/OysterSA/Caladryus

Oyster fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 21, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

axeil posted:

Oh thanks!

Easy mode seems like it would teach me bad habits along with guaranteeing a sword from your Uncle. Is "no glitches" still going to require things like Super Bunny, Fake Flippers, etc.

Also, should I have picked "Timed Race" or do I still get a timer?

Finally, what's SRAM trace do? I turned it on because it seemed like it might help if I get stuck but I can't find any documentation for it.

edit: what's a good tracker if I'm not streaming and just playing on my own for fun? The resources don't seem to explain much about differences.

Easy mode is a totally fine way to play if it really is your first time. It just gives you two chances to get 1/2 magic and gives you 1/4 magic if you find both, gives you 3 chances to find Lamp, and gives you unlimited ammo for whatever the escape item is until escape ends. If you're gonna be competitive it's true you shouldn't get used to that but it doesn't make the game baby you or anything.

Timed Race is a special mode that has a timer displayed at all times and clocks in the world that subtract time from your timer.

SRAM trace adds that hud some races have that shows your inputs.

Easy mode is fine, but normal mode is also fine. You'll be okay playing on the setup you chose.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nep-Nep posted:

Easy mode is a totally fine way to play if it really is your first time. It just gives you two chances to get 1/2 magic and gives you 1/4 magic if you find both, gives you 3 chances to find Lamp, and gives you unlimited ammo for whatever the escape item is until escape ends. If you're gonna be competitive it's true you shouldn't get used to that but it doesn't make the game baby you or anything.

Timed Race is a special mode that has a timer displayed at all times and clocks in the world that subtract time from your timer.

SRAM trace adds that hud some races have that shows your inputs.

Easy mode is fine, but normal mode is also fine. You'll be okay playing on the setup you chose.

Awesome thanks! Any recommendations on a tracker to use/tutorial on how to use it?

Also, what's a baseline time to aim for? I figure anything under 3 hours for my first time is pretty good.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

axeil posted:

Awesome thanks! Any recommendations on a tracker to use/tutorial on how to use it?

Also, what's a baseline time to aim for? I figure anything under 3 hours for my first time is pretty good.

I wouldn't know about the trackers. I only use one to mimic my menu appearance, maybe someone else can recommend there.

For time I would say don't sweat it your first time and just get a feel for how it goes, and then try to get sub-3 later, then once you do that push towards sub-2.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Neither Oyster nor opponent got a bomb drop during escape so they'll have to go back.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nep-Nep posted:

I wouldn't know about the trackers. I only use one to mimic my menu appearance, maybe someone else can recommend there.

For time I would say don't sweat it your first time and just get a feel for how it goes, and then try to get sub-3 later, then once you do that push towards sub-2.

Thanks :) I played normal Link to the Past a ton as a kid so I'm pretty confident in my ability to execute and route but I'm gonna be in the dark :haw: on the trickier things like glitches, beating bosses without swords and dark room navigation.

Someone mentioned there was a practice ROM out there? How's that work?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Who's on bottom and who's on top in your restream? I just started watching

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

timp posted:

Who's on bottom and who's on top in your restream? I just started watching

Oyster is playing as megaman

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That must have been frustrating to buy bombs for 50 rupees and then get them in a chest after bombing a wall, and then go to merchant and pay 100 for some more

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

timp posted:

That must have been frustrating to buy bombs for 50 rupees and then get them in a chest after bombing a wall, and then go to merchant and pay 100 for some more

Better that than to have the merchant give a single rupee!

Good that, Oyster remembered to go back for the 3 chests in escape. Unfortunately it didn't pay off

edit: Oyster's capture card froze? :rip:

Caladrius found hammer in DP, that's where dark world access is gonna be. No need for Aga1 this time.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 21, 2018

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Caladrius significantly ahead at the moment but went to skull woods despite no sword yet. If he can't fight Mothula with hammer this might be a chance for Oyster to catch up. Looks like after getting hammer Oyster left DP instead of finishing like Caladrius did. That might pay off if he can revisit with boots later on.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This wasn't always the case but that south room in skull woods always contains the small key to escape it now so if you have a small key already there is no need to go there.

edit: Nice bomb jump, and quite painless place to take a death since it's more a health refill there.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You need a sword to get to Mothula anyway.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Cattail Prophet posted:

You need a sword to get to Mothula anyway.

I forgot! There's a reason that's in my post-it notes of things I want to not forget while I play.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oyster not using an item tracker is maddening for someone with a terrible memory (aka me)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I like Oyster's choice to go back to EP here. He probably has the idea that he fell behind due to Skull Woods and is going somewhere a little less obvious to try to catch an edge. I wonder if he will follow this with PoD.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh my goodness that Armos fight

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oyster could potentially gain some ground here. Caladrius didn't death warp back to the start of PoD like I thought they were setting up and now has low health. If they try to dark room they might get bumped by an enemy they can't see.

edit: WOW PoD item set. Somaria, lamp and mirror all right there. Jeez.

edit2: Caladrius died in the maze room anyway. That's good news for Oyster though!

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 21, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Where did Caladrius get the sword?

e: I feel bad that it's someone I'm rooting for but I always love when someone gets to a locked door they were expecting to have a key for but they're out, and they just completely stop moving for 5-10 seconds as they try to process it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

axeil posted:

I don't use any tracker, though also my best time is about 1:45 so maybe don't listen to me there.

I am super familiar with Link to the Past and my first randomizer run was over four hours and most people are even longer. If you've been watching matches then you won't stumble around with things as much as most people, but you'll probably still spend a lot of time going, "Hmm... where do I go from here?" and you won't be very efficient with how you search.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

IcePhoenix posted:

Where did Caladrius get the sword?

I know one was in hype cave, I didn't see the other one.

Also boots in PoD too what the hell. Looks like it's just hookshot and maybe a medallion for go mode now?

edit: The middle row of items being completely item while everything else is filled looks really weird.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 21, 2018

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oyster with the bee strats!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Come on Oyster open the lamp chest before going in the dark maze.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I don't use any tracker, though also my best time is about 1:45 so maybe don't listen to me there.

I am super familiar with Link to the Past and my first randomizer run was over four hours and most people are even longer. If you've been watching matches then you won't stumble around with things as much as most people, but you'll probably still spend a lot of time going, "Hmm... where do I go from here?" and you won't be very efficient with how you search.

Yeah, to add on to this I've only been playing rando since December and my first completed SRL time was 6:44:35. Yesterday I got a pretty god-like seed and managed to get a 1:45 for a 15-minute PB. I'm also in the tournament (as wessidevandal), but so far am 0-2. It just takes practice, like any speedrun does. Especially as the randomizer logic changes between versions.

This wasn't specifically answered but unless you tell the randomizer to account for glitches the logic will never require you to perform said glitches. This holds true for dark rooms, fake flippering, super bunnying, etcedera. HOWEVER -- you should definitely learn at least the Eastern Palace dark rooms and the fake flipper, as if those are done properly they can pay off pretty handsomely.

Another decent timesave is the Ice Palace Bomb Jump and that should also be a priority to learn. It should never be REQUIRED by logic, IIRC, but drat if it doesn't save time if you're just trying to kill Kholdstare for the crystal and GTFO.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oyster briefly forgetting he found the mirror and almost s+qing... don't scare me like that!

Grinnblade posted:

Another decent timesave is the Ice Palace Bomb Jump and that should also be a priority to learn. It should never be REQUIRED by logic, IIRC, but drat if it doesn't save time if you're just trying to kill Kholdstare for the crystal and GTFO.

This too and here's why- not only does it save time, but while the logic never requires this bomb jump, the logic can require the Cane of Somaria to finish Ice Palace by putting a small key on Kholdstare. Doing the bomb jump circumvents the need for the cane in those cases.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Here's a tracker that I've used before. Check what you have and it shows what you can clear, can't access, can't get but see, and what bosses you can kill. It also shows how many items are in a dungeon and you can check those as you get 'em.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Scrublord Prime posted:

Here's a tracker that I've used before. Check what you have and it shows what you can clear, can't access, can't get but see, and what bosses you can kill. It also shows how many items are in a dungeon and you can check those as you get 'em.

Daaaamn that is one hell of a tracker! Thanks for sharing; I've added it to the randoguide.com page of resources as well.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Please let quake be in the part of Ice Palace Calad didn't check.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oyster is likely too far behind to win now but he can still put up a respectable finish! Go Oyster!

At the top of the hour we have abraxas' second match as well at https://www.twitch.tv/ALTTPRandomizer. Good luck abraxas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I think you have to be careful with that tracker though. I was messing around with it to see how well it picked up some of the esoteric things -- no pearl but titan's + flute to see if it opened up checkerboard cave. It also lit up mire shed, which isn't possible without pulling off a kind of annoying superbunny glitch.

I'm also not exactly sure how good it is at determining dungeon access. I wanted to check what it would take to get IP to light up, and it ended up being mitts, pearl, sword + bombos (or fire rod/no sword), and flippers. I am a little confused on consistency here. You can do a superbunny revival glitch to get in without pearl, and you can do fake flippers to get into it. I know it accounts for fake flippers because zora and hobo show up without.

Just be aware that this tracker is kind of doing some funky things.