Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Y/N?
Yes!
No! I hate you!
No! I hate polls!
No! I hate you and polls!
View Results

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What does dogmatic mean? From the roots and context, l'm guessing it means "adhering to an established principle or belief" or something like that?

Id Google it, but maybe it's fantasy slang or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I think this is a good year for RB0. I think everyone is going to be high on running backs early and a lot of good receivers are going to fall. Subsequently, I think there is a lot of value to be found in middle round running backs.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It all boils down to whether or not he really is the "best available". Going by PPG he was the QB7 in 2017. In 2016 he was the QB1. In 2015 the QB10 (although Geno Smith was ranked higher with only one game so let's say QB9). QB1 in 2014, QB 5 in 2013. So that's 2 years as QB1 and three as QB5 at best, and that's on a PPG basis and not including the time he was out because of injury. Now is a 40% chance at the QB1 worth a third rounder? Probably. But the power of streaming mitigates the appeal for me.

Now I feel better. I did not look at the numbers, but I felt like he wasn't absolutely guaranteed to be qb1. Just that he had the best chance. This confirms the GB offense hasn't been consistently dominant for a while.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/993944447707738113

Welp.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk Nerds posted:

What does dogmatic mean? From the roots and context, l'm guessing it means "adhering to an established principle or belief" or something like that?

Id Google it, but maybe it's fantasy slang or something like that

It means an almost religious (dogma) adherence to a principal regardless of the circumstances.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

I think this is a good year for RB0. I think everyone is going to be high on running backs early and a lot of good receivers are going to fall. Subsequently, I think there is a lot of value to be found in middle round running backs.

It seems to ebb and flow each year. I think it was 2016 where WRs went a lot earlier so getting RBs worked out well. 2017 was a bit of a hybrid, 2018 seems to be RB heavy.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It seems to ebb and flow each year. I think it was 2016 where WRs went a lot earlier so getting RBs worked out well. 2017 was a bit of a hybrid, 2018 seems to be RB heavy.

I try to always go opposite of the trends on this. That's where I find the most success.

Mud dogs big losers of the draft!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ben Nevis posted:

Round 6 of a slow, meaningless draft 3 months before football and I'm anxious about my pick. Geez.

You think you're too serious: I doctored Ingram's drug test just to promote my first round mock pick

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

I try to always go opposite of the trends on this. That's where I find the most success.

I feel like going in with any predetermined plan is doomed to failure. Drafts to me are all sort of "No plan survives contact with the enemy" or even "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Know where people get drafted, know who's drafting with you, and drink just enough to be fearless.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ben Nevis posted:

I feel like going in with any predetermined plan is doomed to failure. Drafts to me are all sort of "No plan survives contact with the enemy" or even "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Know where people get drafted, know who's drafting with you, and drink just enough to be fearless.

Yup. Mock draft to the point where you know what to expect, and laugh when it all falls apart.

Although in my case it's fairly easy; everyone in my family uses BeerSheets. :suicide:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yup. Mock draft to the point where you know what to expect, and laugh when it all falls apart.

Although in my case it's fairly easy; everyone in my family uses BeerSheets. :suicide:

I actually find drafting with people who use beersheets easier. If they stick rigidly to the sheet, I can manipulate it and maximize value.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I have a different strategy where I never, ever have to worry about my draft strategy falling apart:

I do auction almost exclusively :smug:

LesBeardly
Jul 4, 2010

BEST BALLS ON SA AWARD

Well poo poo.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
My worst is a long time auction league where several of the frequent bottom players decided I'm the guy who knows what's going on, therefor the best option is to just take whoever I want. It makes those late round $1/$2 guys really hard to round up.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ben Nevis posted:

My worst is a long time auction league where several of the frequent bottom players decided I'm the guy who knows what's going on, therefor the best option is to just take whoever I want. It makes those late round $1/$2 guys really hard to round up.

That's a bitch. Maybe we can figure out the strategy to counteract that, seems like there should be a relatively simple one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

I actually find drafting with people who use beersheets easier. If they stick rigidly to the sheet, I can manipulate it and maximize value.

That's exactly what happens. I just jump a round ahead and pick whoever I want, since by the middle rounds value is less predictable anyway.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ben Nevis posted:

Let them get in a bidding war with you and screw them. On the late guys, let them put s $2 bid on a guy you nominated and let them fill their roster with players you don't want. Easy peasy. I never nominate players I actually want in the top half of the draft.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's exactly what happens. I just jump a round ahead and pick whoever I want, since by the middle rounds value is less predictable anyway.

It's surprising how many people haven't figured out that's how beersheets are supposed to be used.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

I never nominate players I actually want in the top half of the draft.

This is the litmus test I use for pundits to see if they actually know how good auctions work. "Nominate a guy you want super early before the market is set," is the sign I can stop listening and start writing angry flame emails.

I did a study of a few private auctions (i.e. not online ones with randos), and something like 4% of the RBs who go for under market value pan out above projections. I don't think I had enough data for a firm conclusion, but I looked at a bunch and... well... 4%. All it takes is ONE other owner to like a guy you like and the potential for savings goes out the window.

Plus, the strategy stacks: The MORE people there are nominating bad guys, the more quickly people get filled up at a position and can't go toe-to-toe with you for the good prospects

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 8, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

Let them get in a bidding war with you and screw them. On the late guys, let them put s $2 bid on a guy you nominated and let them fill their roster with players you don't want.

I think this has legs, but you could even do it early to make a statement: First few rounds nominate a $1 guy until people start realizing you're just nominating jags to undermine them, then proceed as normal. Probably do it a few times towards the end, too, just to remind people you are going to gently caress them if they try this borderline collusion

Also, make a LOT of eye contact and trash talking. You could probably scare people off with just one $1 player if you jsut stare down whoever bids two and say "I hope you like getting hosed in the rear end with your own dick, because that just happened. Anyone else want to gank my guys, I'll do the same to you."

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 8, 2018

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Oh yeah. It's an 11 year league, now up to 14 members. I'm used to it. Mostly the early rounds, in addition to nominating guys I don't want, I do a lot of price enforcing and occasionally complaining bitterly about losing a guy I didn't want. And sometimes mocking them when they inevitably get a guy I want. Late, you just wait till they're out of money. Midrounds are trickiest, it helps then I think to have a good idea of a few different guys at each position you and don't get too attached. You just have to disguise your intentions well enough. Well, that and be better than they are.

My favorite is not just nominating guys you don't want, but early nominating the guys that everyone wants to try and get cheap. Like Jimmy Graham last year was something like $3 on ESPNs draft board. Throw him out way early. He'll go for more than anyone expected taking extra money off the table and send the guys who were counting on him as their cheap late TE into a bit of a panic. It's good fun for everyone!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ben Nevis posted:

Oh yeah. It's an 11 year league, now up to 14 members. I'm used to it. Mostly the early rounds, in addition to nominating guys I don't want, I do a lot of price enforcing and occasionally complaining bitterly about losing a guy I didn't want. And sometimes mocking them when they inevitably get a guy I want. Late, you just wait till they're out of money. Midrounds are trickiest, it helps then I think to have a good idea of a few different guys at each position you and don't get too attached. You just have to disguise your intentions well enough. Well, that and be better than they are.

My favorite is not just nominating guys you don't want, but early nominating the guys that everyone wants to try and get cheap. Like Jimmy Graham last year was something like $3 on ESPNs draft board. Throw him out way early. He'll go for more than anyone expected taking extra money off the table and send the guys who were counting on him as their cheap late TE into a bit of a panic. It's good fun for everyone!

This sounds fine, but way more complicated than just nominating so-so $1 players then making jerkoff gestures while everyone decides to bid, then miming spider-manning whoever wins.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Nominate kickers and DSTs first. Worst case scenario you get the best kicker/DST for $1. Best case scenario someone overpays.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Anyone have any strong opinions on the rookie RBs that were just drafted?

5.11 Derrius Guice
6.3 Rashaad Penny
6.4 Sony Michel

I like Michel the best in redraft leagues. I know I'll be targeting him in every draft because no one ever values Patriots RBs highly. And despite the shitshow that is Seattle right now, I think I like Penny more than Guice. Between Guice's maturity issues and the Redskins' overall ineptitude (especially re: their run game), I doubt I'll be ranking Guice highly come real draft time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiptoes posted:

5.11 Derrius Guice
6.3 Rashaad Penny
6.4 Sony Michel

I like Michel the best in redraft leagues. I know I'll be targeting him in every draft because no one ever values Patriots RBs highly. And despite the shitshow that is Seattle right now, I think I like Penny more than Guice. Between Guice's maturity issues and the Redskins' overall ineptitude (especially re: their run game), I doubt I'll be ranking Guice highly come real draft time.

Guice - First round talent, awesome offensive line, competition is fairly milquetoast. Definitely someone I'd love to target. The Redskins run game was inept because the offensive line fell apart due to injuries, and none of the players really stepped up. A lot of folks hoped Samaje Perine would be the bellcow but he didn't really impress. I have no idea WTF is up with the Guice maturity issues but if he falls in the fantasy draft because of it I will definitely take advantage.

Penny - 4For4 loves him. I'm not convinced that Seattle is going to be good this year which limits his appeal, but Elliott Crist seems to think he's going to be their bellcow because the committee approach failed so miserably last year.

Michel - I genuinely don't know why he was drafted, but I think it was a bit early for him given how unpredictable NE RBs are.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nominate kickers and DSTs first. Worst case scenario you get the best kicker/DST for $1. Best case scenario someone overpays.

I see it the same, but my conclusion is opposite: Best case scenario is an owner who has so little sense as to pay $2 for a kicker now has 1% less money.

I kind of like it as an anti-collusion strategy, though, which I'm sure is why you brought it up. Going to think about this one.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Guice - First round talent, awesome offensive line, competition is fairly milquetoast. Definitely someone I'd love to target. The Redskins run game was inept because the offensive line fell apart due to injuries, and none of the players really stepped up. A lot of folks hoped Samaje Perine would be the bellcow but he didn't really impress. I have no idea WTF is up with the Guice maturity issues but if he falls in the fantasy draft because of it I will definitely take advantage.
It isn't just last year though. The Redskins haven't finished higher than 19th in team rushing since the RG3/Alf Morris era. They have consistently been a bottom third rushing team in the Jay Gruden era and at this point, I cannot assume that their coaches will put together a ground game that consistently executes. As for his maturity issues, I figure if the kid is going to get into shouting matches with team officials at his combine interviews, I think it's fair to worry if he's going to do poo poo that pisses off his coaches. We all know how much NFL coaches love stubborn rookies.

quote:

Michel - I genuinely don't know why he was drafted, but I think it was a bit early for him given how unpredictable NE RBs are.
Both Lewis and Rex Burkhead were top 20 PPR backs in points per game last year and I don't see their rushing attack changing that much. I drafted Michel as I feel confident that he will immediately claim the Dion Lewis role. And I believe he has more TD upside than Lewis did as well. The Pats didn't like using Lewis as a goalline back whereas Michel has a more aggressive style that should prove a better fit in their goalline plays. Gillislee and Jeremy Hill have bad odds to make the team and beat writers expect them to only carry four backs (Michel, Burkhead, James White, and Brandon Bolden). Michel could easily wind up the only guy on the Pats with his particular skillset which should lead to volume.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Patriots also don't take a RB in the first round very often, so i'm hoping they have big plans for him.

I'm high on Sony this year but i haven't figured out at what cost i'm willing to grab him at.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Tiptoes posted:

5.11 Derrius Guice
6.3 Rashaad Penny
6.4 Sony Michel

I like taking a mid round flyer in Guice, but I am down on him in dynasty leagues. Probably the most talented of the three. Too many whispers and I'm afraid of investing in crazy long term. I did that once and ended up married. :v:

Penny is my second favorite rookie back, after Barkley. I think he is going to be a workhorse. Honestly, I might actually like him more than Barkley.

Michel is the hardest. I love his game. I hate his knees. And the risk this year is the kid puts the football on the ground. Belichick doesn't tolerate fumbles. But he has the most home run potential.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

Michel is the hardest. I love his game. I hate his knees. And the risk this year is the kid puts the football on the ground. Belichick doesn't tolerate fumbles. But he has the most home run potential.

I'm trying to decide how meaningful the knee thing is. Like it came out right before the draft. I also have trouble believing the Pats would spend a first on a dude with bad knees. I

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The bone-on-bone thing hasn't been covered as excessively as it was with Ajayi, but IIRC from that situation, that it's something that will end his career sooner, but it's a pain management issue for now.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Ben Nevis posted:

I'm trying to decide how meaningful the knee thing is. Like it came out right before the draft. I also have trouble believing the Pats would spend a first on a dude with bad knees. I
Remember, the bone-on-bone news was first mentioned by Michael Lombardi. There's a decent chance that information came from Belichick himself to spread a little chaos. Ajayi legitimately fell to the fifth round after his bone-on-bone condition was revealed. The timing of the news and the fact Michel was still as highly graded as he was gives me a lot more confidence about his condition.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 9, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Tiptoes posted:

Remember, the bone-on-bone news was first mentioned by Michael Lombardi. There's a decent chance that information came from Belichick himself to spread a little chaos. Ajayi legitimately fell to the fifth round after his bone-on-bone condition was revealed. The timing of the news and the fact Michel was still as highly graded as he was gives me a lot more confidence about his condition.

But if bchick was trying to lower Sony's stock, then why not wait until the second round to pick him? I don't remember him being predicted to even go in the first, but I could be wrong.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oy timp get your draft in.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oy timp get your draft in.

Sorry y'all, didn't realize I was on the clock! Thanks to Sataere for the PM heads up.

I took Greg Olsen. I know he was a pretty incredible disappointment last year, and the recent addition of DJ Moore and CJ Anderson at Carolina will eat into his targets. But poo poo man, it's TE! I'm willing to roll the dice on someone who could potentially be an every game TE instead of trying to wade through the murky mire that is TE streaming with scrubs from week to week.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I pick... Marlon Mack I guess?

My skill positions are pretty shored up, and I've got to wait on TE with what's left, so I figure my best move is to grab some of these unproven RBs who could stay as the lead back in pretty decent situations. Indiapolis line should be a bit better (and pretty decent in 2019), and if Luck comes back that's an offensive machine, again.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Gah. What if I don't want any of these guys here?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ben Nevis posted:

Gah. What if I don't want any of these guys here?

Reach and don't give a poo poo.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Reach and don't give a poo poo.

Done and Done. I wish I liked this pick more. I'm not really in love with any guys here, but I like Freeman's prospects.

Denver has made it clear over the past couple years making it clear they don't like who they have at the RB position. He was extremely productive in college though slowed by a knee injury last year. I think he's recovered now and stands to contribute immediately in the rushing game with a chance at catching some passes as well.

Finally, it gives me the option to change my team name to Freemans on the Land, which I think is a strong selection this year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm glad that Duke Johnson fell to me. There isn't much about Hyde or Chubb that threatens Johnson's role as a pass-catching back, and while there's no guarantee that he'll repeat last year's breakout success I do think he'll be a reliable source of points with a high floor.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm glad that Duke Johnson fell to me. There isn't much about Hyde or Chubb that threatens Johnson's role as a pass-catching back, and while there's no guarantee that he'll repeat last year's breakout success I do think he'll be a reliable source of points with a high floor.

Do you worry that Landry might cut into those short targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ben Nevis posted:

Do you worry that Landry might cut into those short targets?

Worrying is for losers. Are you calling Beer a loser?

• Locked thread