Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Lowtax posted:

You see the internet is a lot like civil rights,,,,

nonexistent in the south until the federal government got involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

bump_fn posted:

are we the baddies?

lol

bump_fn posted:

same but deeply fear

ive seen dumb images ive made appear years later, its both profoundly exciting and embarrassing to see a one off random thing you made shared for over a decade and still know it means nothing

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:drat:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm so sick of "those people" on the internet. You know the ones, the ten million python scripts amplifying political messages with the twitter API.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a+

i think it’s unfair to blame common internet users for how lovely the internet is. you can’t let off the hook the internet application providers that monetized lovely behavior.

look at Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka. he chose to create a forum and build an internet community where posts have meaning and are judged on their own terms, not based on some algorithm deciding what will get the most clicks and serve the most ads. and now his wallet and neck are broke lol but i still like the forums

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i was just talking to my friend about this topic and i sent him that talk lowtax gave at whatever university about how terrible the internet is/was

i'm gonna watch it again tomorrow

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
premier internetsman lowtax

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

creationist believer posted:

i think it’s unfair to blame common internet users for how lovely the internet is. you can’t let off the hook the internet application providers that monetized lovely behavior.
Internet advertisers and predatory social media services that exist to collect personal user data, build profiles, and sell to the highest bidder only exist because of the common internet user. Try to convince me the average American citizen is a paragon of intelligence, and I might see your point. But a majority of people willingly dump every single personal aspect of their lives into poo poo like Facebook, and then are absolutely shocked to learn Facebook oh my god uses that data to financially benefit!!!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

facebook stealing peoples data is not really making the world worse though, rather it turns out that universal unrestricted communication was a really bad idea, which is pretty bad news for humanity

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

facebook stealing peoples data is not really making the world worse though, rather it turns out that universal unrestricted communication was a really bad idea, which is pretty bad news for humanity
But Facebook didn't really steal anybody's data... morons willingly gave it up.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it

Incomplete Fish posted:

the forum in question is run by a literal nazi and the sole purpose of it is for doxxing people. it is objectively one of the worst sites anyone could post on.

Glass houses sir, glass houses.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

Lowtax posted:

Exactly, there was never any stealing involved. Idiots, including myself decided "why not?" and signed on up to share cat photos and the latest thing we have digested, whilst also allowing our families to upgrade from chain email spam to commenting on every thing you decide to put online.

The nerds that get the most angry about it are the nerds that didn't think of it first, because they sure as hell would be exploiting people as much as they could.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lil bip posted:

The nerds that get the most angry about it are the nerds that didn't think of it first, because they sure as hell would be exploiting people as much as they could.

the key now is to be outraged with an underlying implication that facebook is a terrible amoral company, and once that aberration has been stomped out of existence the internet, and tech companies, will once again be on track to solving all the problems of the world

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

the key now is facebook is a terrible amoral company, and once stomped out of existence, tech companies will once again be on track to solving all the problems of the world

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

the key now is to be outraged with an underlying implication that facebook is a terrible amoral company, and once that aberration has been stomped out of existence the internet, and tech companies, will once again be on track to solving all the problems of the world

Yes, I, too, am waiting for Soylent v3.0

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

whoever first added comment sections to news articles needs to be very loving sorry for it

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

MononcQc posted:

whoever first added comment sections to news articles needs to be very loving sorry for it

hey now those news comment sections are indirectly responsible for me being here today

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

HoboMan posted:

hey now those news comment sections are indirectly responsible for me being here today

but we're repeating ourselves here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i bet soylent fanboys have some retarded name for ensure like “analog soylent”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i bet soylent fanboys have some retarded name for ensure like “analog soylent”

last time i checked they didn't acknowledge it as existing at all, or if they did they made sure to point out that it's not a complete nutrition option and it's got disgusting things like flavors that would ruin the bland agreeable paste experience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it certainly hasn't got as much lead and cadmium in it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Lowtax posted:

2001: the internet makes you stupid
2016: your stupid makes the internet

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i was waiting for the self checkout last night and richard stallman came by and yelled at me for putting cashiers out of work and i said "shut up free software fat man, your operating system is a piece of crap"

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

and then you rode your bike home and everybody clapped

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gazpacho posted:

i was waiting for the self checkout last night and richard stallman came by and yelled at me for putting cashiers out of work and i said "shut up free software fat man, your operating system is a piece of crap"

:thurman:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
typing this on a Palm Pre 2

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lowtax posted:

typing this on a Palm Pre 2

more like a palm pre... cum!!!!!!!!!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ate all the Oreos posted:

thats not what its called

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Lowtax posted:

I still maintain that the Furry Concentration Camp, in which I told all furries they could avoid being banned if they admitted being furries and getting a Star of Yiff avatar, and then one day I changed all their account privileges to only be allowed to post in the Furry Concentration Camp, and soon turned it into the Gas Chamber and mass banned them, is one of the great things many people have forgotten about this forum's history

hmmm *updates saclopedia*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

last time i checked they didn't acknowledge it as existing at all, or if they did they made sure to point out that it's not a complete nutrition option and it's got disgusting things like flavors that would ruin the bland agreeable paste experience

Reminder that Health Canada refused to allow Soylent to be advertised as a meal replacement because it does not have all the complete nutritional requirements, and when the soylent people smugly responded "oh yeah? prove it" HC said "okay" and released a 50-page report of their lab analysis detailing each and every one of the dozen-or-so areas in which the product was found to deficient

For comparison's sake, Ensure is allowed to be sold as a meal replacement in Canada

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

we demand *more* cadmium

also if you kill your intestinal flora with antibiotics you can optimize your shipping container home by leaving out the bathroom entirely

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
HIRE👏MORE👏TOXIC👏CHEMICALS👏

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if the 3 came out i woulda came too, the industry is still stealing good ideas from that dead os

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lowtax posted:

thats not what its called

apparently i was misinformed, my apologies

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

we demand *more* cadmium

also if you kill your intestinal flora with antibiotics you can optimize your shipping container home by leaving out the bathroom entirely

well, yeah, it's space that can be better used for storing palettes of flight suits shipped from china which are worn for a few days and then discarded

because that's more efficient than just using a bit of water to do the laundry once a week.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The_Franz posted:

palettes of flight suits
jesus christ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
entrepreneur who founded influential message board Something Awful.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

we demand *more* cadmium

Bucket and piss jars are the future

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

6 million were stamped with mickey mouse
and came in a another colour

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Elder Postsman posted:

is this a screenshot from forum2000.org

oh god I miss that so

all those SOMADs lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Gazpacho posted:

the pre-commercial internet was cliquey af, if you didn't follow a bunch of rules like you were born knowing them there were spergs who considered it their job to tear into you

i mean does anyone else remember alt.folklore.urban? yikes

damore and gamergaters are Classic Usenet Archetypes

• Locked thread